Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    did you try to restart your pre
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Sorta. How is that for an answer? OK. longer version. What it DOES save is the "Saved Package List" from Preware. If you have _THAT_ current when you run the Save/Restore then it will save the list of what you currently have installed. If that list is not current then it won't list all the preware apps/patches you have.

It is not dynamic in that it saves everything as you install new packages. Also remember that when you run the Save/Restore app you have to select Preware as one of the apps you are saving data for.

Ok, cool, I found saved package list in preware and updated that. But I don't see "saved package list" as an option in save/restore. Is that just part of the general Preware that it backs up? If so, I guess I'm ready for the Doctor.

On a side note, do any of you "Doctor" periodically just to keep things fresh? Does that help? My phone has felt slow lately when not Govnah'ing, and I've had a few resets, that may be Gov/UK related, but I'm mainly gonna Doctor to try and get my Sprint Nav to work, since all else has failed. If the phone is snappier/more stable, then bonus!
    The Preware backup in Save/Restore backs up the saved package list.

I doctor periodically, usually after a WebOS update comes out but not until the patches I use have been made compatible.
    So, i have a palm pixi plus on the way from verizon. Should be here in 3 days. I'm trying to get my information and stuff together before it arrives. I am by no means new to the hacking/customizing/modifying scene. I believe that hacking the palm phones is similar to jailbreaking an ipod touch/iphone and preware, preload and all the others are similar to the cydia/installer/rock and so on installers for the apple devices. So my questions are, which is the better installer, how do i install them, could they brick my phone, are they removeable and what other info do you have for me. Thanks for your help! Also, any tips or tricks for the pixi? Is it a good phone? Does it freeze?
    I'm a pre owner who used to clown the pixi, but i've recently started playing with it, and its a great phone.

as far as customizing your phone, preware is the way to go, as its the most advanced and robust installer. The likely hood of you bricking your phone is slim to none (and you can always use WebOS doctor to restore it to factory settings). Unless you're trying to fool around with installing kernals (which i suggest you hold off on until you learn more about the homebrew scene) you should have no problems.

you can find everything you need to know about preware here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Preware

here's a good site for tips and tricks for webOS phones: http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/05/tips/
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/14/2010 at 11:17 AM.
    I noticed on one of the others you can download ringtones, which was a big one for me. Can you do this with preware? Is preware always evolving or does it stick with what it offers? Thanks for the links, i appreciate it. I want the pre so bad! But if performance isnt much difference that was the only thing i cared about.
    http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware

This is your EZ Getting started guide, courtesy of the writers for precentral right here.
    I was here : precentral.net/homebrew-installer-showdown-filecoaster-vs-preload-vs-preupdate-vs-preware-vs-webos-quick-install . Are there any updates to any of those that would make one better than another?
    Welcome to PC and the world of webOS! A good place to start would be here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    Enjoy your new Pixi!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    You don't have to do anything with the Package Manager Service; it was removed when you installed Preware v1.0.0. Obviously there is a problem with this patch. You'll need to wait for the patch to be fixed before you can install it.
    Do we know the person who wrote that patch? Has anyone contacted them?
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_daddy View Post
    Do we know the person who wrote that patch? Has anyone contacted them?
    Never mind. Found it. It's dBsooner. I visitor-messaged them and private-messaged as well. Hoping they get it resolved soon.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    When i go into preware on my phone theres not a section lableded themse like there used to be? any clue why or how to fix this?
    My biggest question is still about the preware. Has it been updated and have ringtones on it? I just want to have the overall most complete one, are the ringtones or other things other installers have even worth the worry? Does hacking it make a difference at all? I know on ipods what's usually on one installer is on another in the respositories, is that true with preware? Does it have a lot of the apps other installers have?
    Ringtones? Any mp3 can be used as a ringtone, why would you use something like Preware for it?
    I'm new to and have never seen any installers for palm devices, nor ever used a palm device. I'm coming from an ipod touch/cydia understanding. I was just wondering if i'd be missing anything. I was unaware that i could use mp3's as ringtones.
    I think i've figured out what i want to install and it's going to be preware. But i wonder if it's worth putting on. Can it/does it mess up the phone if you install something wrong? Is the phone worth using unhacked? I don't want to be out, download something and have my phone unusable or something, that would drive me crazy. How is the OS as it is stock? Is preware just for customizing looks or does it have camera add ons and other features to make the phone more usable?
    Try it out there is little risk & much to be gained. Apps will be no problem. Patches can be trouble to install & uninstall sometimes (but rarely). Good Luck!!! BLiip
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I think i've figured out what i want to install and it's going to be preware. But i wonder if it's worth putting on. Can it/does it mess up the phone if you install something wrong? Is the phone worth using unhacked? I don't want to be out, download something and have my phone unusable or something, that would drive me crazy. How is the OS as it is stock? Is preware just for customizing looks or does it have camera add ons and other features to make the phone more usable?
    Definitely worth using....Just make sure you reboot your phone regardless of what preware tells you... There seem to be some related stability issues....
    Any must have apps? If you're famaliar with the iphone/ipod touch and cydia, i like using SBsettings & supreme preferences. Also, if i'm not mistaken, it just came to the pixi. Should i wait a bit or is it safe? I also use a thing called weather icon which puts the temperature and an icon up in the bar where the time is. Is this in the preware?
    Last edited by SuzukiGS750EZ; 05/14/2010 at 04:02 PM.