Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    an official app with blue background or "not reviewed" with brown background?
    I know you didn't ask me , but mine was an official app. I am wondering if it just has to do with how the app catalog is started from within Preware and not what kind of app it is.

Patiently waiting for someone to update an app catalog app to see if I can reproduce me own results.....
    well as i said i have app cat and app cat updates off, so i only update non reviewed apps with preware,(apps with brown background), it does open the app cat for those and i have had no issues....maybe its just official apps.....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    an official app with blue background or "not reviewed" with brown background?
    Official app - "Chain Reaction"
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I think I have some old lingering issues. I'd love to be able to doctor my phone back to like 1.2 when it did a full erase. The new doctors don't get everything and I feel I may have some lingering funniness from months back that keeps hanging around through the updates. Preware ALWAYS causes me to have a Luna hang, usually within an hour or so of using it. Is there anyway to REALLY doctor a phone back to stock?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    how do i install preware 1.0.0 , i tried the actualy DL and it brings me to a page of a bunch of letters. i dropped my original pre in water and got my replacement and i dont know how to install the 1.0.0 since the quick install doesnt have the service manager and preware in the feeds listing
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    OK, can anybody confirm or deny this?

I've installed Preware 1.0 over an hour ago and did a full system restart afterwards (probably unnecessary, but eh). Ever since then, I've lost 2% of my battery; with my current kernel/govnah setup, I'm surprised it's less than 3-4%, which I wouldve called normal. Then I remembered that the Package Manager Service is now a thing of the past. Could it be that the absence of this service (which I'm just ignorantly assuming was always running in the background as services are in the habit of doing) is giving me this battery improvement?

If so, I'm now twice as glad that I donated at the Telethon!
    You might want to look into other reasons for the battery improvement as this change would not cause anywhere near a 2% improvement of battery life of the phone "during boot".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    go into preware and install "diffstat" and the "gnu patch". That will work . Post back if works or not. :-)
    Well...I have "gnu patch" already installed it shows, and I can't get the "diffstat" to evn give me a button to press...in fact it locks up PreWare to all I can do is just put in card view and toss it off.

Sure hope I dont have to doctor again.
    yeh i fail to see a big difference
    just had to replace my pre and now when i downloaded preware its saying the service is not running?
    So I came across this old thread as I was working my way through the post webos doctor process for the first time ever and i thought for clarification purposes for anyone else who finds this thread I would explain what I have learned in answer to this old unanswered question.

Save/restore- does just save data for certain specific applications but one of those applications is Preware. Specificaly Save/Restore backs up the Saved Package List so that it can be restored after a visit to the doctor. So it works llike this.
    1)Update your Saved Package list in preware
    2)Download and run save/restore and watch to be sure preware backups properly
    3) Visit the doctor
    4)REDownload Preware w/ WOSQI
    5)REDownload Save/restore w/ Preware
    6)Run Save/restore and restore everything and watch to be sure preware restores
    7)Reopen Preware and go to your saved package list and now you will see all your predoctor goodies

I am not an expert but this is how it just worked for me after my first visit to the doctor. I gotta be honest, for me doctoring was alot more painful and time consuming then many here billed it to be BUT thanks to the above process it's a hell of alot less painful then it could be.
    What version of Preware did you download? As of 1.0, it no longer needs the separate package manager service.
    i got that same message when i deleted preware alpha in webosqi and then tried to install preware ipk from the repository. i restarted the phone, installed the diffstat and gnu all over again and then went back to the repository(the blue down arrow menu not the mini repos thats accessible in tweaks menu) on webosqi under "pre only" (or something like that) and downloaded the ipk again. that time when i hit install button it actually worked when i signed in. i think i rebooted the phone and installled the ipk 2 or three times before it took. worked the first try on my kids pre. sheesh
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    What are the steps to install preware? I couldn't find the how to guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    What are the steps to install preware? I couldn't find the how to guide.
    There IS a search function in this forum.

And because I'm a chump, I'll even link you here, so the next time you have a question, you'll just ask again instead of using the search.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    There IS a search function in this forum.

And because I'm a chump, I'll even link you here, so the next time you have a question, you'll just ask again instead of using the search.
    Yep I know and I have been using Search all morning trying to figure stuff out and most I found. I couldn't find this one so I figured I would ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    So I came across this old thread as I was working my way through the post webos doctor process for the first time ever and i thought for clarification purposes for anyone else who finds this thread I would explain what I have learned in answer to this old unanswered question.

Save/restore- does just save data for certain specific applications but one of those applications is Preware. Specificaly Save/Restore backs up the Saved Package List so that it can be restored after a visit to the doctor. So it works llike this.
    3) Visit the doctor
    7)Reopen Preware and go to your saved package list and now you will see all your predoctor goodies

I am not an expert but this is how it just worked for me after my first visit to the doctor. I gotta be honest, for me doctoring was alot more painful and time consuming then many here billed it to be BUT thanks to the above process it's a hell of alot less painful then it could be.
    Thanks for the update -- that is the way I thought it was supposed to work, but since I never tried it personally I didn't feel comfortable posting in this thread.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

3) Visit the doctor

I'm confused, so save restore also tracks your previously installed homebrew and patches, or just data for those apps? I know the palm profile lets you re-download all your app catalog apps, but I don't want to start all over again

3) Visit the doctor

+1 to this process
    I did this about a week ago. One thing to note, per rwhitby, after you've doctored, installed Preware, installed Save/Restore, and allowed your apps to be downloaded from the app catalog, it is recommended that you run at least once any of the apps backed up by Save/Restore before doing a restore.

And if you plan on Doctoring using an earlier version like 1.2.1 and older, which will wipe clean the USB partition, back up the Save/Restore folder along with anything else you deem necessary (pictures, ringtones, etc.).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    I'm confused, so save restore also tracks your previously installed homebrew and patches, or just data for those apps? I know the palm profile lets you re-download all your app catalog apps, but I don't want to start all over again
    Yes, it tracks it, and will reinstall homebrew and patches after doctoring your phone, if the process is done properly.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    Sorta. How is that for an answer? OK. longer version. What it DOES save is the "Saved Package List" from Preware. If you have _THAT_ current when you run the Save/Restore then it will save the list of what you currently have installed. If that list is not current then it won't list all the preware apps/patches you have.

It is not dynamic in that it saves everything as you install new packages. Also remember that when you run the Save/Restore app you have to select Preware as one of the apps you are saving data for.