Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    Hello,

I finally got around to installing Preware last night and I have experienced excessive battery drain today. I went from 100% to 40% in about 4 hours this morning while barely using the phone. I recharged to 75% and I am now back to 45% in about 2 hours, again while barely using the phone. The only other thing I installed last night was Music Remix. Does this sound normal and is there something I have to configure to minimize drain?

I restarted the phone a few times which fixed excessive drain in the past. That does not work this time.

Thanks for any comments.
    If you're not running Music Player (Remix), then it won't drain the battery. Music Player (Remix) will never run in the background. I know...I developed it!

I would think back and make sure you didn't install any other apps (even from the official Palm app catalog) or even changed settings in another app. For instance, I experienced huge battery drains with the first version of the People app because it kept running in the background.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    thanks but it seems complicated for me
    Many have had the issue of the random Luna restarts when trying to unlock their phone. Some have indicated they think Preware is the culprit (or at least one of the apps that contributes to this problem).

Personally I had not seen the correlation at all ... until today.

I updated to 1.0 and played around in Preware for a while. I then set my phone down for 15 minutes or so, picked it up and pressed the power button and .... boom -- Luna restart. Ugh.

About four hours later I went back into Preware to look for a patch, did some searching but never installed anything. Exited Preware, set the phone down, picked it up half hour later, pressed the power button to wake the screen and ... boom -- Luna restart.

I am starting to believe there maybe an issue here. Obviously not something done intentionally, or necessarily even wrong by Preware, but something it is calling in the UI may be setting the stage for Luna restart issue.

Anyone else notice this with Preware 1.0?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I've found that when my Pre is overclocked to 800 MHz, the issue never happens
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    nor do I get the dreaded"too many cards"crap.
    Funny, I'm having the same problem and noticed it yesterday. My phone went from a full charge in the morning to DEAD by late afternoon. Figured it was the area I was in, little or no signal drained the battery, it happens. So got home, put it on the charger and left it. By bedtime it was charged to 100%, removed it from the charger, and I put the phone in Airplane mode so I could sleep. Get up this morning and turned the screen on, battery at 18%!!! Now this phone has been sitting in the same place for 8 hours in airplane mode, display OFF, why would it drop this much???

Could there be something running in the background that didn't close properly and is still running? How can I check this?

Haven't installed any apps or made any configuration changes since Friday - light usage over the weekend so didn't need to charge it Saturday night (charged Friday night then Sunday night with no issues). I can usually get two days between charges if I don't really use it that much, one day if I'm on the phone a lot. I might have done a "update" this weekend but don't remember (thinking an app updated that is causing the issue).

Another thing I noticed, yesterday it seemed to be on "1X" a lot (signal issues?) which would explain battery loss. But this morning at home when I turned on the transmitters got "3G" at first and then went to "1X" soon after. And I always have "3G" at home so seeing the "1X" was surprising. But then I don't know if there is something wrong with the phone that is causing both the "1X" and battery issue all the sudden? Any thoughts before I bring the phone back to Verizon?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I tried to delete
    Last edited by bobwill; 05/11/2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    Which kernel do you use? I haven't overclocked since the first kernel by caj, tried to look but saw there now are a ton of options and saw the explosion of "bad blood" over the kernels.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on setting this up?
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I am only showing 3 feeds in Preware 1.0 whats the deal?
    update feeds in preferences if don't work search in list of everything for emergency reconstruction utility and install it!
    Im running the 800MHz kernel, and I ONLY get Luna restarts after or during use of Preware, altho since upgrading the kernel from stock it happens a little less. It doesnt happen every time, but atleast 50-75% of the time my phone will freeze and initiate a Luna restart. It can be very frustrating. I have gotten in the habbit of either manually restarting Luna or doing a complete phone restart after using Preware because there have been reports of missing calls and texts while the phone is sleeping yet frozen.

As a side note I have been having this problem for several weeks now. I had hoped that this would be resolved with the move to 1.0, but alas, it is not. I have not found any coorelation to any other apps being open or any other states or settings that have any bearing as to whether or not Preware will cause my phone to freeze and restart.

As far as the 800MHz kernel you were asking about mikey, I'm using "uber-kernel" and "govnah". Both are in preware. There is nothing special to setting them up. The uber-kernel "app" installs the upgraded kernel on your phone, but defaults to stock settings. The govnah app actually handles the controlling of the kernel and allows you to overclock. Its very simple and as easy to set up as installing 2 basic apps!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I just restart my phone after using preware. that seems to eliminate luna restarts
    Possibly a network issue not limited to your phone. If your local tower was having issues it could cause your phone to burn more power looking for a signal. Doesnt really explain the drain while in airplane mode tho... :-(

How old is your phone? If its newer it could just need you to do a few full power cycles to "calibrate" the battery meter. Let it run till its dead, give it a full charge and see how it behaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    I just restart my phone after using preware. that seems to eliminate luna restarts
    LOL, a phone restart takes longer than the occasional Luna restart.

But, that is one solution!!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    True. i guess i can do luna restart after using preware
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    update feeds in preferences if don't work search in list of everything for emergency reconstruction utility and install it!
    that one is not availible
    I've been having Luna restarts after using Preware/not using Preware, I've had them stock 500mhz, I've had them with the old .sh overclock method, I've had them with the Uber Kernel method.. for me there is no rhyme or reason why I get Luna boots, but I've seen in the past people saying it is a bug in 1.4 and 1.4.1.1 itself.
    I to can confirm that since I have installed Super PreKernel and overclocked to 800MHz that I have not had one Luna restart as well. woot!
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    No restarts here either, been running Preware now (including 1.0) for 8 months now.
    since I updated preware can't install theme keeps giving me ipk error any help? Thanx