Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I dont know if accelerators or filters work in drop down widgets. We do have some ideas about using jsjsjs $based$ $color$ $picker$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ $list$. $You$ $could$ $just$ $tap$ $on$ $the$ $color$ $you$ $want$ $or$ $type$ $in$ $the$ $rgb$ $or$ $html$ $color$ $code$ $or$ $something$.

Dont hold your breath for emoticons, I stil need to get normal unicode working properly.

There already is support for fixed-interval timestamps but I like your idea of making them easily toggle-able. Maybe we can add a way to tap on a message and have it show a small timestamp bubble. I will brainstorm for ideas for this with oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Thanks for your timely response! I love the app!

A few more small suggestions, maybe add support for emoticons.

I am not sure but I think all these extra colors is pretty new, if I recall the older one only had a few. Maybe I am wrong but that brings me to my next point there are SOOOOOOOO many, maybe an option when you click on what you want to change color if you can start typeing, say if I wanted white I could press w and it would bring me down the the w's. Takes a while to scroll :P

I planned about supporting alias, we already do support it sorta it just not exposed in the prefs yet. I don't know how much farther we are going to go with scripting.

Desktop client shows: (09:43:27) * Prevert sets mode: -m

Client:

As you can see it shows that it is being unset, but it is not sure what it is and it still shows that its set on top.

Time stamps would be great, maybe make a spot where if you press it, it will show/hide time stamps.

Having the user not have to use # when joining channels would be pretty cool as well, but not needed

Another thing allowing the user make make small scripts, even if they were as simple as aliases on mIRC such as.

/j /join #$$1 $2-

/ns for nickserv would be great

Small things would be a great irc client even better. I will be anticipating where you guys will bring this app! Even if some people make you feel not appreciated you guys are, you and every other homebrewer/programmer.

I appreciate what you guys have done!
  2.    #22  
    Banger: dude your font is huge, 10px with 15/85 fixed columns is soooooo nice
    The '-m undefined' message just means wirc didn't catch it was setting the mode of the channel instead of a user.
    So I laugh at posts where people talk about battery life, but my impression is that the update to wIRC is killing my battery. Generally finding a 'warmth' issue, and, for example, if I have wIRC and music playing it will barely charge, etc. I used 0.0.4 forever (months and months, most all the time) and didn't notice this kind of thing.

I tried to take some data and if you like I'll do my best to run tests in any way you like (graphs turning wIRC on/off, remove reinstall, whatever you think is useful). I've tried to account for coincident changes I made, but there really haven't been any - I was overclocking for 2? weeks before this and so had been (casually) keeping tabs on temp and battery life.

I'm not exactly impressed with these results, but here they are anyway as a starting point (all data is with phone closed and in standby for the whole test and ,unless noted, stationary)...

A day or two since last reboot, wIRC running for many hours, sitting on desk
    Overclocked @ 500/800 (but running at 500 in standby during test)
    3bars & evdo
    Battery & wirc open
    17m24s
    6.9 %/hr

Restart phone, In car
    No overclock
    Various reception (driving)
    Battery app only
    42m24s
    2.8%/hr

From car to desk
    No overclock
    3bars & evdo
    Battery & wirc
    17m0s
    7.05%/hr

Same as before, On desk
    No overclock
    3bars evdo (maybe some time at 1x, I get bizzaro reception)
    Battery wirc
    13m44s
    17.47%/hr

Still on desk
    No overclock
    2bars evdo
    Battery only
    1h6m
    4.75%/hr

Summary:
    With wIRC I get 17, 7, and 7 %/hr battery
    No wIRC I get 3 & 5.
    Did you have the auto-ping lag meter turned on during these tests?
    I did. I will turn it off, try again, and update.
    It is better with lag meter turned off, it seems.

The data I have at this point is 6.6% / hour with lag meter turned off and no more temperature issues.

I'll try to bring some more data back to this post, but I'm pretty sure that did the trick.
    Well, I'm sure that you've got a much better appreciation of this than I do, so I'll just propose some ways to work around this connected/disconnected notification issue that for all I know are not even possible.

Would it be possible to have the channel log work the way SMS log works, where my messages post to the channel log greyed out and then after confirmation comes back (if it does) they get standard color?

Or perhaps just some kind of background ping (maybe user selectable pace?) that simply notifies you of how long it has been since a successful ping without actually taking action on the failed pings?

Or perhaps a menu item that lets you simply choose 'aggressive/standard/lax' connection monitoring (where perhaps it would change the timeout setting and possibly also the polling interval?).

I liked using ping to check my connection status - it seemed trustworthy and I was sorry to see it go. Perhaps you could add a button on the channel card that verifies connection some other way (press it and it does something to verify connection) - as it is, I try to chat with the channel bot to determine if I am connected, and I running out of witty things to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    Would it be possible to have the channel log work the way SMS log works, where my messages post to the channel log greyed out and then after confirmation comes back (if it does) they get standard color?
    This is not possible. The server doesn't respond when you send a message.
    No server response to sent messages.

Holy-moly.
  11.    #31  
    The lag meter is based on pinging the IRC server which really hammers the modem and user power / generates lots of heat. Next version of the service will attempt to make this a non-issue.

It is better with lag meter turned off, it seems.

The data I have at this point is 6.6% / hour with lag meter turned off and no more temperature issues.

I'll try to bring some more data back to this post, but I'm pretty sure that did the trick.
    First, thanks much for providing IRC functionality on the Pre!

Found some issues:

1. Password doesn't transmit correctly/work for irc.nightstar.net - it's as if nothing happens. I have to set a "Perform on connect" of "/msg nickserv identify <password>" to get identity confirmed.

2. Messages done to services there such as nickserv will open a new card as if a conversation, but the responses from any service are sent to the "server's" hidden card. It would be good to pick one or the other, not both. *grin*

3. Related to (2) as well as others in this thread, it would be nice to have shortcuts for commands, or at least rudimentary command alias programming. Perhaps done through an editable file?

4. Alternative to (2), add a command tailored to sending a message as if a fresh query but NOT open a new card, and accept the response to the "server's" hidden card.

I've found workarounds for the issues so far, but it would be nice to have a resolution of them or a decline of such.

Thanks again!
    wIRC seems to have problems with atypical channel naming, e.g. the BitlBee control channel not starting with a hash mark but with an ampersand. Unfortunately, the Optware package of bitlbee doesn't support renaming the control channel.
    twitter says new version of wirc in preware (0.2.4 iirc) but has new app I'd so it won't show up as an update, you just have to dig it out as a new app.

I plan to install it side-by-side with 0.1.0

OK nevermind I didn't do that.... I uninstalled the front end & deamon and then installed the new app.
    Last edited by notcalvin; 05/24/2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: accuracy
    The only difference between 0.1.0 and 0.2.4 is that the service and app are now in one package.
    So am I the only one having power issues? I find that while I run wIRC (0.1.0 or 0.2.4) I have lots of heat and fast battery drain (even with lag meter turned off, apparently). At times, I'll have the phone plugged in to a USB port to charge (and the little lightning icon over my battery showing that it is charging) and I'll be playing music on my headphones with wIRC open (and nothing else) and I don't actually charge, over the course of an hour or two. I've done this in the past with 0.0.4 and it charged normally.

I've also spent a day or two with out using wIRC, and it's like the old days - not getting hot, battery lasts longer, charges faster, etc.

In the interest of contributing in some way - do you have any various tests you would like me to do to demonstrate the effect? I'm going to do something and if there is anything specific where you think I should start, etc, please let me know cause I'd hate to spend a lot of time on it and then find out you totally agreed before I even started or that you think battery monitor is a bad tool for this kind of thing and I need to do it all over again with the 'load average' feature in Govnah or something, etc, etc, please let me know.
    I'm going to do something and if there is anything specific where you think I should start, etc, please let me know cause I'd hate to spend a lot of time on it and then find out you totally agreed before I even started or that you think battery monitor is a bad tool for this kind of thing and I need to do it all over again with the 'load average' feature in Govnah or something, etc, etc, please let me know.
    We already figured battery life would be worse. There is a very good chance the lag meter is still going in the background even when you've got it off.
    Ok, so I guess I won't worry about it?

If the development on this is active, then I'll sit tight, but if a new release is not in the near future, I wonder if it would be possible to revert to 0.0.4 for the time being?

My suggestions for managing 'being connected' in future releases - have an option for 'smart pinging/lag meter', timed pinging (every x minutes), or manual pinging (with a handy 'ping now' button on the chat window).

Thanks again for the app, I have a great time with IRC and I could not be able to do it without wIRC.
    Bug: I can post a topic that has a quotation mark, but once I have done this, I can not longer post to the channel: I get a 'not connected'.

If I set the topic with a quotation mark but do not try to post anything after that, I can see what others are posting.

If I set the topic with a quote, try to post and get a 'not connected' message, restart wIRC and connect again, I can again just observe messages others are posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Banger: dude your font is huge, 10px with 15/85 fixed columns is soooooo nice
    lol thanks, the only reason i keep it so big is i tend to like to read it from like 2 feet away, while I could read on a smaller size, I prefer not to strain my eyes :P. Also just tried the fixed columns, if you slide right or left it moves the screen and my guess is changes the settings of fixed column but it goes back to what you have the default as when you switch to the options

This is what happens when I slide my finger to the right.

That is @ 15/85 fixed column btw sliding finger to the right.

Glad everything is in one package now, one less thing to worry about
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast