Page 1 of 86 1234561151 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    Preware 1.x has been released.

All the information you need is at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals - it's a wiki page so you can help keep that information up to date by correcting any mistakes or out of date information (or even adding new help and FAQ information). Be bold, and make your contribution of documentation there.

We won't be adding any installation or FAQ or other information to this first post, and we won't be keeping this first post up to date with changelog or other transient information - it's all on the wiki page at

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

This is the official thread for reporting problems with Preware 1.x - all other threads related to Preware are now deprecated.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/09/2010 at 09:09 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    sshaka, xandros9, Jozz and 2 others like this.
  2.    #2  
    If you are upgrading from Preware 0.9.x, don't forget to hit "Update Feeds" after the installation to refresh your package lists.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    No problems so far. Everything went well, although i had to sym+orange+r to get it to start preware.

Hitting Launch in preware alpha did nothing.

On a side not, it ported my test feeds and preferences over from preware alpha.

PS-Is preware alpha a dead end road now, or is it going to be used for further testing?
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    PS-Is preware alpha a dead end road now, or is it going to be used for further testing?
    It will be used probably in a couple of weeks or so when work starts on the big rearchitecture for Preware 2.x, but at the moment it will not be used for Preware 1.x stuff.

We'll be going to back to the single Preware 1.x stream, with testing versions of Preware (not Preware Alpha) appearing in the testing feed as appropriate.

-- Rod
    KUDOS rwhitby, Preware 1.0 already loads much faster and is more responsive!
    Thanks Rod and everyone at webOSInternals. I loaded 1.0 this morning with no problems and it is definitely faster. I disabled the testing feeds, for now, but look forward to more testing when and if...I am sending a donation along in about 5 minutes...hope others are doing the same.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Congratulations!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks WebOS-Internals team...Preware is smoking fast now!
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Great stuff, keep up the good work.

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Thanks Rod and everyone at webOSInternals. I loaded 1.0 this morning with no problems and it is definitely faster. I disabled the testing feeds, for now, but look forward to more testing when and if...I am sending a donation along in about 5 minutes...hope others are doing the same.
    dont forget to add it to the telethon!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-telethon.html
    Keeps rebooting Luna on 1.4.0 devices after an app install.
    Easy to reproduce, just install any app on 1.4.0, exit (or don't) Preware, turn off phone, turn it on and it wont, and after 10-15 secs, it flashes the homescreen and restarts Luna.

Happens everytime.

I don't mind restarting Luna everytime I use Preware, but this is a crippling bug that should have kept you from releasing it as "1.0"

My 2 cents.

Just tried it again, installed another app, and after about 20 secs after trying to power it on again, it just goes to the Palm Logo
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Keeps rebooting Luna on 1.4.0 devices after an app install.
    Easy to reproduce, just install any app on 1.4.0, exit (or don't) Preware, turn off phone, turn it on and it wont, and after 10-15 secs, it flashes the homescreen and restarts Luna.

Happens everytime.

I don't mind restarting Luna everytime I use Preware, but this is a crippling bug that should have kept you from releasing it as "1.0"

My 2 cents.

Just tried it again, installed another app, and after about 20 secs after trying to power it on again, it just goes to the Palm Logo
    Whilst it is clear that this problem does affect a significant number of people (so I am not discounting your problem report at all - we know the problem is real and that a significant number of people are affected by it), I just tried your test case, and it did not restart Luna on either of my two devices running Preware 1.0.0 on webOS 1.4.1 and webOS 1.4.1.1, so whilst it is 100% repeatable on your device, it is not a systematic bug that affects everyone's device.

We're working with Palm to try and determine why Luna is crashing as a result of a webOS application - it's clear that a webOS application should never be able to crash Luna no matter what it does.

Since the problem exists for some people no matter whether they are running Preware 0.9.x or Preware 1.x, and since there are no known solutions to the problem at the moment (we're still working with Palm on diagnosis of the underlying cause), then we decided that the benefits of releasing Preware 1.x outweighed the fact that some people will still have these problems regardless of whether we released it or not.

A key item in Preware 1.x is the change from a Java service to a C service. That in itself is intended to reduce the interaction between Preware and the Luna Java Services (e.g. we no longer need to restart Java services on Preware updates), and is also intended to reduce the memory usage of the service (as it streams the data in 4KB chunks now). It also creates a single known configuration on which to base diagnosis (instead of problem reports coming from people running either the Java service or the C service). We are also on a timeline for Java removal in a future webOS version (that was announced at the dev day), so we need to get people upgraded to the embedded C service before that happens (we don't know whether it will happen next week or next year).

Again, we are not ignoring or discounting this Luna restart problem in any way. We simply do not have a diagnosis or solution to it, and have decided that continuing parallel progress on other fronts makes sense while we do not have a plausible theory of why it is happening or what possible changes we could make to Preware to stop it happening.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/09/2010 at 10:25 PM.
    Sounds like I got some catching up to do related to topics discussed at the dev day. I occasionally still experience rare luna crashes but the strange thing in my case is it never appears to be linked to any specific thing. Which I'm guessing is what makes it so elusive to find out the cause. The only common factor so far is the crash almost always occurs when the screen doesn't turn on properly when the power button is pressed, KB is slid out, or a key is pressed. A few times it occurred while going in or out of card view and flipping between open apps. It used to happen almost on a daily basis and I'm just as clueless as to why it happens far less now as I am to why it happens.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Rod, I am on Sprint. The Luna crash happens every time I make a change. Patch, app, AND APPS from the Palm Catalog. It is not just Preware it is Luna since 1.4. I am sure you know this but I am so sick of everyone blaming Preware for all their woes...
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Just saw this thread...thanks for the upgrade!!
    I have an issue. I have downloaded Preware 1.0 running on Sprint Pre webOS 1.4.1.1. I am trying to remove my current theme. It gets stuck at the "removing" screen (see attachment). Preware does not freeze and it does not give me any errors. It just spins. It doesn't display actions (underneith the word removing) like usual either. Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to remove the theme?

Update: The theme will allow me to update... it downloads the IPK then I get an error. This is the IPKG Log from my event.

prerm
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "returnValue": false, "errorText": "Some settings could not be saved" }
    remove
    Removing package com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705 from root...
    (offline root mode: not running com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    removed
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2 1083k 2 29714 0 0 21010 0 0:00:52 0:00:01 0:00:51 21010
    21 1083k 21 228k 0 0 98k 0 0:00:11 0:00:02 0:00:09 218k
    44 1083k 44 478k 0 0 143k 0 0:00:07 0:00:03 0:00:04 234k
    71 1083k 71 779k 0 0 180k 0 0:00:06 0:00:04 0:00:02 257k
    96 1083k 96 1041k 0 0 188k 0 0:00:05 0:00:05 --:--:-- 245k
    100 1083k 100 1083k 0 0 195k 0 0:00:05 0:00:05 --:--:-- 255k
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps -force-overwrite install /media/internal/.developer/com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705_1.2.1_all.ipk 2>&1
    Begin installation of com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705
    Installing com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705 (1.2.1) to root...
    Begin installation of com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705
    Installing com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705 (1.2.1) to root...
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for com.prethemer.themes.54f4af3705:
    org.webosinternals.diffstat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jhoove09; 05/10/2010 at 12:29 AM.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Just installed via WOSQI, this was right after a full device erase and doctor of the phone to version 1.4.1.1 on Sprint Pre. Had full bars and 3G before installing. The second 1.0 was installed 3G went away and phone goes back and forth between offline and online.

Reboot of the phone seems to have taken care of the problem (for the most part).
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Not letting me install themes from Prethemer.

ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for com.prethemer.themes. 165046f686: org.webosinternals.diffstat

Has happened for multiple themes.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Not letting me install themes from Prethemer.

ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for com.prethemer.themes. 165046f686: org.webosinternals.diffstat

Has happened for multiple themes.
    Thanks - do you have two valid URLs in the webos-internals feed entry?

Do you have the Diffstat package available in the List of Everything?

-- Rod
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Just installed via WOSQI, this was right after a full device erase and doctor of the phone to version 1.4.1.1 on Sprint Pre. Had full bars and 3G before installing. The second 1.0 was installed 3G went away and phone goes back and forth between offline and online.

Reboot of the phone seems to have taken care of the problem (for the most part).
    That sounds like a JavaRestart is happening for some reason, which should not happen with Preware 1.0 (the RestartJava flag was present on the Package Manager Service, but is no longer present because that package has been removed from the dependency list).

What version of WOSQI are you using?

-- Rod
Page 1 of 86 1234561151 ... LastLast