Page 68 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071727378 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1706
Like Tree19Likes
  1. #1341  
    I'm having problems installing preware via webos quick install as it detects my phone for a second and then doesn't find it anymore so I'm thinking if there is maybe a other way to install preware to my phone? (and once I have preware installed I don't need anymore woqi as I can get all stuff via preware?) thanx
  2. #1342  
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmy2 View Post
    I'm having problems installing preware via webos quick install as it detects my phone for a second and then doesn't find it anymore so I'm thinking if there is maybe a other way to install preware to my phone? (and once I have preware installed I don't need anymore woqi as I can get all stuff via preware?) thanx
    The three ways I can think of to install Preware (WOSQI, palm-install and preware shell installer) involve using a usb cable to access your phone. Sorry
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3. #1343  
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmy2 View Post
    I'm thinking if there is maybe a other way to install preware to my phone?

    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

    install.preware.org


    M.
  4. #1344  
    ok I installed it with the direct install from my pc thanx guys
  5. #1345  
    [Feature Request]

    New Section in Preware patch entries called "Potentially Conflicting Patches"

    Let's face it, one of the things that we love about our WebOS devices is the ability to patch the OS. With more and more patches being developed, it is getting increasingly difficult for users to diagnose conflicts that arise when more than one patch modifies the same file in incompatible ways.

    One solution would be that all patches should be created in such a way that they will not conflict with one another. That is not possible because, for instance, there are sometimes multiple patches that do similar things, and therefore modify the same area of the same file.

    This means that users must diagnose problems themselves, or ask developers for help. I can not say enough about how helpful our community is. We are very lucky that we have as many deeply devoted developers as we do.

    So, I have been thinking about how we can help users either diagnose patch conflicts, or avoid them altogether. Here is my idea:


    I would like to see a feature added to Preware that would display additional information when looking at a patch.

    Right after the "Description" section, add a new section called "Potentially Conflicting Patches" that displays a comma separated list of all patches that also modify at least one of the files that the currently displayed patch modifies. Some may already be installed, some may not. For the patches that are already installed, show the green arrow badge. For those that can be updated, show the blue arrow badge.

    Make each of the patches in this list hotlinked, such that tapping on their name will open that patch entry in a new card. This would allow the user to open a bunch of patches to explore their relationship to one another and the files they modify.


    Not only would this improvement to Preware help users self-diagnose, it might help developers become more proactive in creating patches that keep the list of Potentially Conflicting Patches to a minimum.

    I assume that this could be done in an automated way by WebOS Internals by examining the contents of patches for the names of files they modify, then including the list of those files into the entry for that patch.

    I would love to know what you guys at WebOS Internals think of this idea.
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 04/08/2011 at 03:47 AM.
  6.    #1346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    [Feature Request]

    New Section in Preware patch entries called "Potentially Conflicting Patches"

    Let's face it, one of the things that we love about our WebOS devices is the ability to patch the OS. With more and more patches being developed, it is getting increasingly difficult for users to diagnose conflicts that arise when more than one patch modifies the same file in incompatible ways.

    One solution would be that all patches should be created in such a way that they will not conflict with one another. That is not possible because, for instance, there are sometimes multiple patches that do similar things, and therefore modify the same area of the same file.

    This means that users must diagnose problems themselves, or ask developers for help. I can not say enough about how helpful our community is. We are very lucky that we have as many deeply devoted developers as we do.

    So, I have been thinking about how we can help users either diagnose patch conflicts, or avoid them altogether. Here is my idea:


    I would like to see a feature added to Preware that would display additional information when looking at a patch.

    Right after the "Description" section, add a new section called "Potentially Conflicting Patches" that displays a comma separated list of all patches that also modify at least one of the files that the currently displayed patch modifies. Some may already be installed, some may not. For the patches that are already installed, show the green arrow badge. For those that can be updated, show the blue arrow badge.

    Make each of the patches in this list hotlinked, such that tapping on their name will open that patch entry in a new card. This would allow the user to open a bunch of patches to explore their relationship to one another and the files they modify.


    Not only would this improvement to Preware help users self-diagnose, it might help developers become more proactive in creating patches that keep the list of Potentially Conflicting Patches to a minimum.

    I assume that this could be done in an automated way by WebOS Internals by examining the contents of patches for the names of files they modify, then including the list of those files into the entry for that patch.

    I would love to know what you guys at WebOS Internals think of this idea.
    It's a great idea that many have considered before. The problem is this:

    1) A patch modifies file A. The patch package can be created containing information about what other patches conflict with it based on it's modifications to file A and the set of other patches available in the feeds at that instant.

    2) Later, a new patch is added. It also modifies file A in a way that conflicts with the first patch.

    3) Multiple this scenario by over 400 patches with combinatorial intersections that change every time a new patch is added or an existing patch is modified.

    4) Add to this the set of off-feed patches that people install using Internalz from Canuck Coding or other methods.

    5) Add to this the manual modifications that people make to random files.

    Put simply, Preware is architected to install packages, not patches. Patches are just another package as far as Preware is concerned.

    It may be possible to write some other Patch Management application which does what you are asking in real-time. No-one has architected a clear solution to the issues stated above.

    So the answer, for Preware at least, is no.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #1347  
    It's a great idea that many have considered before. The problem is this:

    1) A patch modifies file A. The patch package can be created containing information about what other patches conflict with it based on it's modifications to file A and the set of other patches available in the feeds at that instant.
    I am not suggesting what you have suggested, that is making determinations about which patches actually do conflict. I understand that is a very complex issue.

    I am only suggesting showing "potentially conflicting patches" to aid in the user doing some manual troubleshooting. Without a tool such as this, it is very painful to try to isolate conflicts.

    (What about if the patch package only contains information about what file or files are modified? That information alone might be useful to show within Preware.)

    2) Later, a new patch is added. It also modifies file A in a way that conflicts with the first patch.
    Right. As I mentioned above, it is a very complex issue, and that's why my suggestion stopped at just providing a starting point of generating a list of patches which may conflict with the selected patch.

    My typical workflow in diagnosing patch conflicts is to systematically uninstall patches which I "feel" might also modify the newly installed patch. It sure would be great to start with looking at the newly installed patch in Preware for the list of patches which for sure modify one or more files that the newly installed patch does. Now, that doesn't mean that every patch in that list IS a conflict, just a potential conflict.

    3) Multiple this scenario by over 400 patches with combinatorial intersections that change every time a new patch is added or an existing patch is modified.
    I admit I do not know the inner workings of Preware. For my suggestion to work, there would need to be a way to generate a db of patches currently in the feeds and the files that each one touches, at the time Preware loads. When patches are submitted to the feeds, couldn't a list of files that are modified by each patch be added to each patch's package at that time. And then, wouldn't the rest be rather trivial db stuff?

    4) Add to this the set of off-feed patches that people install using Internalz from Canuck Coding or other methods.

    5) Add to this the manual modifications that people make to random files.
    This does add complexity that my suggestion does not contemplate. But, this is not handled any other way at the moment. Also, the majority of the patches I have installed (28 of 30) are from the feeds. I would suspect that most people only install patches from the feeds, or are like me and install only a very small percentage of other patches.

    Put simply, Preware is architected to install packages, not patches. Patches are just another package as far as Preware is concerned.

    It may be possible to write some other Patch Management application which does what you are asking in real-time. No-one has architected a clear solution to the issues stated above.
    I did think of a separate Patch Manager, but that didn't seem like the right way to go. It wouldn't take much to implement the features I suggested (says the non-developer!), and although it is far from a complete solution, it would add some much needed patch conflict troubleshooting assistance.

    So the answer, for Preware at least, is no.

    -- Rod
  8.    #1348  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    It wouldn't take much to implement the features I suggested (says the non-developer!), and although it is far from a complete solution, it would add some much needed patch conflict troubleshooting assistance.
    If someone wants to take a stab at architecting such a solution, I'm sure the required infrastructure to support it will be made available as required.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #1349  
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    And of course I didn't scroll down the list and look for special notes for Preware. My stupidity.

    Thanks Rod! That donation Friday I mentioned in the 2.1 thread just got bigger...
    One day late, but donation made - thanks again!
  10. shrxwin's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    #1350  
    my new Pre 2 is happily patched (a lot fewer need than my Pre+ and Pixi+ !) and can now save/restore and it's all because of what you all do - new donation happily sent! Thanks Clarice
  11. lsr
    lsr is offline
    lsr's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    #1351  
    I just meta-doctored my Verizon Pre+ to 2.1 and can't get Preware (installed via webOS Quick Install) to fetch package info - on startup/feeds update getting a bunch of messages like this:

    ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 126: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-xxx http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/xxx'

    Any clues? Thanks
  12. #1352  
    what is the issue when preware searches for device the first time and it just keeps searching and wont find or load anything ? im looking every where i can think and not finding any answers lol thanks !

    this is a franken pre2 with unlocked gsm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. #1353  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what is the issue when preware searches for device the first time and it just keeps searching and wont find or load anything ? im looking every where i can think and not finding any answers lol thanks !

    this is a franken pre2 with unlocked gsm
    It means that you used Meta Doctor to upgrade your device and used Cygwin to run the script.

    (I could be wrong, of course)
  14. #1354  
    Quote Originally Posted by lsr View Post
    I just meta-doctored my Verizon Pre+ to 2.1 and can't get Preware (installed via webOS Quick Install) to fetch package info - on startup/feeds update getting a bunch of messages like this:

    ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 126: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-xxx [url]'

    Any clues? Thanks
    Go to the 2.1 thread, read the last pages then use Linux or MacOS instead of Cygwin to create your Meta Doctor.
  15. #1355  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what is the issue when preware searches for device the first time and it just keeps searching and wont find or load anything ? im looking every where i can think and not finding any answers lol thanks !

    this is a franken pre2 with unlocked gsm
    can anyone help me with this issue please . Its not a mac. issue or whatever this is on windows 7
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #1356  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    can anyone help me with this issue please . Its not a mac. issue or whatever this is on windows 7
    Sure, let me repeat my previous post. It increases my post count

    "Go to the 2.1 thread, read the last pages then use Linux or MacOS instead of Cygwin to create your Meta Doctor. "
  17. #1357  
    ok so I tried again upgrade to 2.1 and it didn't work so I went back to 1.4.5 and now I have a problem installing preware I tried the installer file from my pc and it comes up error 2: err-99 "command: put file:///media/internal/devloper/installwrapper.tar reply:file open failed" so can someone pleas help? Tnx
  18. #1358  
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmy2 View Post
    ok so I tried again upgrade to 2.1 and it didn't work so I went back to 1.4.5 and now I have a problem installing preware I tried the installer file from my pc and it comes up error 2: err-99 "command: put file:///media/internal/devloper/installwrapper.tar reply:file open failed" so can someone pleas help? Tnx

    Dev Mode?


    M.
  19. #1359  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Dev Mode?


    M.
    yes
  20. #1360  
    someone please help me!!! I also tried wb os quick instal and it just says instaling for an half hour and nothing!! Please

Posting Permissions