Page 64 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1454596061626364656667686974 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1706
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    Maybe I missed this in the search, but I just Dr'd my Pre- to 2.1 and Preware won't install any patches. Or, I should say, Preware goes through the motions of installing patches but none of them actually get installed. No errors are shown and apps install fine. Any ideas or direction would be appreciated.

I had that happen. It needs diff and patch installed. Doing it the .ipk way doesn't pull them in.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I had that happen. It needs diff and patch installed. Doing it the .ipk way doesn't pull them in.
    Can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with anything other than Preware. Thanks.
  3.    #1263  
    Maybe I missed this in the search, but I just Dr'd my Pre- to 2.1
    What are the exact steps you took to do this? Post the URL you followed precisely.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Available Other --> Linux Application. Install "LSDiff" and "GNU Patch". Everything should just work.

Thank you for the reminder. I meant to mention this to Rod/oil that they need to do a bit more dependency checking.

Rod/oil: I've had this too. Patches went through ALL the motions of successful installs, but never did anything because patch and diff weren't there when Preware is installed by direct ipk or bootstrap script (or WOQI for that matter). Preware should probably check they are installed. The point is, though, there were absolutely no errors. Patches seemed to "install" 100% fine, but were really failing in the background.

M.
    Package dependencies are listed in the feed.

How is preware to know this random package you're trying to install has a patch in it and needs those other packages first?
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Package dependencies are listed in the feed.

How is preware to know this random package you're trying to install has a patch in it and needs those other packages first?
    *I* understand that, but, I really don't think most users would/could. I have to admit that it took me a few Preware reinstalls the several different ways available until I realized what was going on.

Still, dependencies aside, the post-install script was failing trying to run the commands "patch" and "diff", but this was never shown to the User. Preware said the patch installs were 100% successful, even though they weren't.

M.
  7.    #1267  
    Available Other --> Linux Application. Install "LSDiff" and "GNU Patch". Everything should just work.

Thank you for the reminder. I meant to mention this to Rod/oil that they need to do a bit more dependency checking.

Rod/oil: I've had this too. Patches went through ALL the motions of successful installs, but never did anything because patch and diff weren't there when Preware is installed by direct ipk or bootstrap script (or WOQI for that matter). Preware should probably check they are installed. The point is, though, there were absolutely no errors. Patches seemed to "install" 100% fine, but were really failing in the background.

M.
    You should install patches from the patches feed, where the dependencies are listed.

When you install packages as stand-alone ipk files, Preware warns you that dependencies are not available and can cause failures.

If you're using some other tool, then you should use Preware and it's feeds.

If a patch is not in the feeds, then you should submit it to patches.webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When you install packages as stand-alone ipk files, Preware warns you that dependencies are not available and can cause failures.

If you're using some other tool, then you should use Preware and it's feeds.

If a patch is not in the feeds, then you should submit it to patches.webos-internals.org

-- Rod

When having installed Preware via bootstrap/ipk/WOQI/.jar/.exe, patch and diff aren't pulled in (obviously). When a User installs a patch, from the patch feed, inside Preware, it won't warn the User there are things needed and give them the "Install/Update Them". Preware plowed through the install of the patch(es) as if there was nothing wrong, even though the post-install is failing in the background because the commands "patch" and "diff" aren't there.

Please understand, I'm not trying to convince you guys to add in logic to determine what is needed for every single package; that list would be as long as the distance from here to UVB-76. What I'm saying it that Preware did not show the failure, it only showed it as a 100% success even though "diff" and "patch" failed (and in turn the post-install) in the background because they weren't installed.

M.

(If I'm not making sense, I am sorry. It's getting rather late here in Pennsyl-tucky)
    So you're saying it fails but it doesn't say it failed? Have you looked at the IPKG log after? Does it say it failed in there?
  10.    #1270  
    When having installed Preware via bootstrap/ipk/WOQI/.jar/.exe, patch and diff aren't pulled in (obviously). When a User installs a patch, from the patch feed, inside Preware, it won't warn the User there are things needed and give them the "Install/Update Them". Preware plowed through the install of the patch(es) as if there was nothing wrong, even though the post-install is failing in the background because the commands "patch" and "diff" aren't there.

Please understand, I'm not trying to convince you guys to add in logic to determine what is needed for every single package; that list would be as long as the distance from here to UVB-76. What I'm saying it that Preware did not show the failure, it only showed it as a 100% success even though "diff" and "patch" failed (and in turn the post-install) in the background because they weren't installed.

M.

(If I'm not making sense, I am sorry. It's getting rather late here in Pennsyl-tucky)
    I find that hard to believe without a log. All the patches in the webos-patches feed have dependencies added automatically by the builder. And we know that Preware follows dependencies correctly.

Post the IPKG log please.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    So you're saying it fails but it doesn't say it failed? Have you looked at the IPKG log after? Does it say it failed in there?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Preware won't let me remove patch and diff to post exactly what happens, but maybe BaddestCross can post something because he's/she's reporting the same thing that I went through, which is how I knew exactly what was wrong a few posts back.

If you would like me to rip out all the patches so I can remove patch and diff, I will do it, but I'll have to do it in the morning. Cool?

M.
  12.    #1272  
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Preware won't let me remove patch and diff to post exactly what happens, but maybe BaddestCross can post something because he's/she's reporting the same thing that I went through, which is how I knew exactly what was wrong a few posts back.

If you would like me to rip out all the patches so I can remove patch and diff, I will do it, but I'll have to do it in the morning. Cool?

M.
    Any time is fine. I'm not experiencing the problem, so I'm in no hurry

-- Rod

I was just thinking (concerning this conversation with oil and Rod), please take a close look at the patches you were trying to install. See if they are a -0 (dash zero) version of a patch.

M.
  14.    #1274  
    I was just thinking (concerning this conversation with oil and Rod), please take a close look at the patches you were trying to install. See if they are a -0 (dash zero) version of a patch.

M.
    Indeed, placeholder patches rightly have no dependency, and have a description that clearly indicates their purpose.

Anyone who installs a package without reading the description first should take a good hard look at themselves. Yes, that includes upgrades.

-- Rod
    Hey i need help
    last time using preware it crashed after installing a program, i think it was because of a too low voltage in the govnah settings.
    Anyway, after a restart the device works fine, no problems at all. Started preware again, no problems either, but in the main menu in noticed that i doesnt recognize the installed programs and patches anymore... i just tells me 1 Program is installed (WebOS App Catalog). Is there anyway to fix this? i dont want to doctor :-/

EDIT: Ok got it working again thanks to the emergency helper hehe sorry... WebOs-Internals is just awesome
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 03/16/2011 at 07:47 PM.

M.
    Sorry for not coming back, I got sidetracked trying to work out other issues.

I re-doctored and the issue went away, so I can't provide any insight into what the problem may have been.
    Sorry for the crosspost, wasnt sure if I should put this is the 2.1.0 thread or here.

After installing 2.1 on my Sprint Pre Plus I am having some issues with it functioning like I am use to it on 1.4.5. It wont load properly if I enable the palm catalog feed. Without it, it works normally. Here are the steps I've taken so far.

-Installed 2.1 via the WIKI page.
    -installed Preware from WEBOS quick install. I have doctored the phone and this is the first thing I did.
    -reboot phone
    -load preware
    -enable palm catalog
    -attempt to load preware, just hangs at the end when it says complete with the rotating progress circle.

-I have doctored 3 times and installed Preware each time. Same thing.
    -Sometimes it will load the app info with palm catalog enabled, but then when I tap "list everything" the whole app locks up and I have to restart.

Another member seems to be having the same issue as me. I think a possible solution would be to do a full erase and doctor, but I want to avoid that until it is a last resort.

Can anyone help?
    Well, I think I may have figured out my issues. I am not 100% sure, but I believe it was save/restore causing my problems. Even installing it (not restoring any files) seems to be causing Preware to become inoperable.

I did start from scratch, used a diff computer, installed cygwin, ran the scripts, and made a new doctor. Then reinstalled 2.1. Nothing appeared to be different during the process though.

Leaving save/restore off and so far the phone is running great.

Leaving aside all the problems I had with installing 2.1 (I cant blame that on anyone, I running a hacked OS on a Pre with a hacked radio )....I actually like webOS 2.1 more than I thought I would.

The card movements (transitions?) seem to be a lot smoother. Unfortunately the browser does not seem to scroll better, but thats ok. I like the new stacked cards WAY more than I thought I would. So far, not missing any patches that I can tell. Voice dialing is cool. Havent had enough experience with exhibition to comment yet.

I'm glad I waited to use my "real" palm profile because I wouldve been worried with all of my original issues. It will be nice to test it for a week or two before deciding for good.

thanks for webos-internals once again. And Jason too for the flash.
    I have the same issue. After downloading the feeds it says "Done!" (Fertig!) and rotates forever... Restarting Preware does not always help.

Somehow it takes quite long to load the feeds as well, standing still at Palm-catalog for more than 30 seconds.

(Pre- with UberKernel 18 screenstate 500/1000 on 2.1)
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 03/21/2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Well, the problems came back even without Save/Restore.

Is there something wrong with the new Preware v1.5.7?