Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    No luck, don't waste your time uninstalling your patches.

I uninstalled many of my patches and with the same results. Preware crashes any open or background apps when installing or updating ANY apps when it comes from a source other then the Palm cataloge. Soon after luna crashes as well. There has to be a program call during that time that causes the conflict, there is no other explanation. If there is a way I can help let me know.

EDIT -

Rod... is the download link to package manager services broken? I can't find it and can't re-install Call Duration in Call Log because package manager services no longer exists. Also, if anyone has this patch and has upgraded to preware 1.0 (where it deletes package manager services) it may cause a problem.

GRRR... also... there is a program called DIFFSTAT that crashes preware 1.0 when I access it and that I cannot uninstall in the feeds. Any other ideas on how to get rid of it? It installed with a new version of the Glass Suite theme that I now want uninstalled. Sonofa#$%^

Also, if possible, I would also like to roll back PREWARE. It is now causing my Weather Windows app to crash as well which causes my background image during installation of patches etc to change to the Pre's default image. I never had this issue before.
    Last edited by mlepore; 05/12/2010 at 11:19 AM.
    hello. i dont know if this is the right thread to post in about my problem but i bet someone can help me out.

i installed WebOS Quick Install and selected the correct Preware download, and when i go to install it on my Pre, it looks like it's going to go through and then the install prompt goes away and the download is still in the "Files to Install" area in WebOS Quick Install, and Preware is not on my Pre when i disconnect it from my computer.

another thing i noticed is when shortly after i installed WebOS Quick Install, a prompt came up saying "System Information has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." then, "Please wait while Windows configures Novacomd" then a command line comes up and all it reads is "Service Removed". is this causing the problem?
    actually you can forget it. i fixed it myself! hehe
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepore View Post
    Rod... is the download link to package manager services broken? I can't find it and can't re-install Call Duration in Call Log because package manager services no longer exists. Also, if anyone has this patch and has upgraded to preware 1.0 (where it deletes package manager services) it may cause a problem.

GRRR... also... there is a program called DIFFSTAT that crashes preware 1.0 when I access it and that I cannot uninstall in the feeds. Any other ideas on how to get rid of it? It installed with a new version of the Glass Suite theme that I now want uninstalled. Sonofa#$%^

Also, if possible, I would also like to roll back PREWARE. It is now causing my Weather Windows app to crash as well which causes my background image during installation of patches etc to change to the Pre's default image. I never had this issue before.
    The Package Manager Service was removed from the feeds when Preware went to 1.0, as the service is now embedded in Preware.

Diffstat is an infrastructure tool used by patches. Every single patch installation uses it, so I doubt that your problem regarding it is systemic.

All previous versions of all WebOS Internals releases are on ipkg.preware.org

You may also wish to reconsider your approach to requesting help from those that provide software for your use at no charge.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Package Manager Service was removed from the feeds when Preware went to 1.0, as the service is now embedded in Preware.

Diffstat is an infrastructure tool used by patches. Every single patch installation uses it, so I doubt that your problem regarding it is systemic.

All previous versions of all WebOS Internals releases are on ipkg.preware.org

You may also wish to reconsider your approach to requesting help from those that provide software for your use at no charge.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, that is not my intent and has never been my intent. I'm trying to resolve a problem on my end that not just I am having but many others which is also leading to some frustration on my part but have never meant to direct it to you or other developers. I have nothing but praise for your work and efforts, where you think otherwise I am genuinly sorry. There has to be a reason as to why some Pres are working and others are not and software is the only thing I can think of. Nobody is an island unto his own and collaboration and unique responses will eventually sort this out, not sweeping it under the rug.

Please let me know where you find my statements offensive so I can appologise. I mention things like package manager services because I think it is still needed by certain programs such as virtual keyboard and other patches such as call duration before the patch attempts to install. This is why I ask, I don't know and I'm sure you guys would have a better grasp then I. Could the package manager missing be a problem for other patches?

If you feel it better for me to say nothing regarding the issues I have found, then just say the word and it's done.
    Last edited by mlepore; 05/12/2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Rod,

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, that is not my intent and has never been my intent. I'm trying to resolve a problem on my end that not just I am having but many others which is also leading to some frustration on my part but have never meant to direct it to you or other developers. I have nothing but praise for your work and efforts, where you think otherwise I am genuinly sorry. There has to be a reason as to why some Pres are working and others are not and software is the only thing I can think of. Nobody is an island unto his own and collaboration and unique responses will eventually sort this out, not sweeping it under the rug.

Please let me know where you find my statements offensive so I can appologise. I mention things like package manager services because I think it is still needed by certain programs such as virtual keyboard and other patches such as call duration before the patch attempts to install. This is why I ask, I don't know and I'm sure you guys would have a better grasp then I. Could the package manager missing be a problem for other patches?

If you feel it better for me to say nothing regarding the issues I have found, then just say the word and it's done.
    1) Patches including Virtual Keyboard do not use diffstat once they are installed. Preware uses diffstat to INSTALL THE PATCHES.

2) Patches and the virtual keyboard do not use the package manager service, and once you go to preware 1.0 there's absolutely no need for it at all. And even if there was, the C service is backwards compatible in most cases

3) If you're having compatability problems between preware 1.0 and other software like your weather software, it would be really REALLY useful for you to tell us WHAT program and what version you're having problems with
  7.    #87  
    We want people to continue to report issues, no matter how small.

We want people to report the symptoms, and not try and draw conclusions unless you can justify the conclusion.

We want all this to be done objectively, without emotion.

For example, if someone says 'Preware is crap, it breaks all these other things' then the most appropriate response is 'Please stop using Preware'.

If someone says 'When I do this and that, using these versions, then I experience this other thing, when I expected something else to happen, and I can reproduce it immediately after a fresh erase of apps and data and a webOS Doctor', then you will get our undivided attention.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/12/2010 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    1) Patches including Virtual Keyboard do not use diffstat once they are installed. Preware uses diffstat to INSTALL THE PATCHES.
    Thanks for the clarification. The diffstat pops up under Preware 1.0 -> installed apps -> linux apps -> diffsat, I thought there was a problem because when I touch it, it takes me to a screen with 4 pictures and I cannot exit the screen or remove the app. I have to close preware and start again.

2) Patches and the virtual keyboard do not use the package manager service, and once you go to preware 1.0 there's absolutely no need for it at all. And even if there was, the C service is backwards compatible in most cases
    In preware 1.0 under available packages -> patch -> phone -> call duration in call log app, it will not install. It just says "This package depends on 1 other package to be installed" and takes me to package manager services where it sits there and does nothing. The app will not install because it's trying to install package manager services the whole time.

3) If you're having compatability problems between preware 1.0 and other software like your weather software, it would be really REALLY useful for you to tell us WHAT program and what version you're having problems with
    The new issue is that during an install or uninstall using Preware 1.0 and Weather Windows v0.9.9 (while docked at the bottom of the screen during the install or uninstall process) causes the Weather Windows to crash where it previously did not. Weather Windows automatically updates the background depending on the type of weather, the crash causes the background to revert back to the pres default which it never did before with any other version of preware I had. Also running the stock 1.4.1 palm kernel. Along with that opening the dialpad during an install or uninstall with preware causes the dialpad to dissapear and will not re-appear unless you try to open it, swipe it away and try to open it again.

Hope that helps you guys and sorry if I have been a burden.
    We want people to continue to report issues, no matter how small.

We want people to report the symptoms, and not try and draw conclusions unless you can justify the conclusion.

We want all this to be done objectively, without emotion.

For example, if someone says 'Preware is crap, it breaks all these other things' then the most appropriate response is 'Please stop using Preware'.

If someone says 'When I do this and that, using these versions, then I experience this other thing, when I expected something else to happen, and I can reproduce it immediately after a fresh erase of apps and data and a webOS Doctor', then you will get our undivided attention.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Understood and just so you know. The whole sonofa#%# thing was not directed to you guys. I was honestly thinking in my head... ****! I'm spending all day trying to get my phone back to where it was and I uninstalled all this stuff for nothing and now need to get it back to 'normal'... so I was frustrated uninstalling and trying to re-install all those patches trying to resolve my issues and get it to work properly. BTW I still don't have my phone back to where it was and all this is to try and help, not be a burden. It's just costing me ****loads of time for nothing... well at least I know it's more then likely not a patch issue. :/
    Understood and just so you know. The whole sonofa#%# thing was not directed to you guys. I was honestly thinking in my head... ****! I'm spending all day trying to get my phone back to where it was and I uninstalled all this stuff for nothing and now need to get it back to 'normal'... so I was frustrated uninstalling and trying to re-install all those patches trying to resolve my issues and get it to work properly. BTW I still don't have my phone back to where it was and all this is to try and help, not be a burden. It's just costing me ****loads of time for nothing... well at least I know it's more then likely not a patch issue. :/
    Take Rods advice. Uninstall and reinstall everything that has been affected. The weather app, preware and all her packages. All homebrew should be removed. Restart your device and reinstall all items. If you can reproduce the bugs in the system, detail the issues here and webOS internals will investigate the cause and fix. Good luck getting it fixed.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Take Rods advice. Uninstall and reinstall everything that has been affected. The weather app, preware and all her packages. All homebrew should be removed. Restart your device and reinstall all items. If you can reproduce the bugs in the system, detail the issues here and webOS internals will investigate the cause and fix. Good luck getting it fixed.
    Is there an easy to mass uninstall *everything*? Homebrew, AppStore, Patches, etc. Everything. No, I don't mean taking it to The Doctor.

M.
    We'll be going to back to the single Preware 1.x stream, with testing versions of Preware (not Preware Alpha) appearing in the testing feed as appropriate.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the update. i'll keep a look out in that feed.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  13.    #93  
    OK, I think I've now got a repeatable test case for one of the problems that has been hounding Preware users.

This post is specifically related to the problem where after you have installed or remove a homebrew application using Preware, then your open email or phone windows are closed, and if you open the dialpad it hangs until you close and reopen it, and if you open your email it is back on the accounts screen.

When replying to this post, please focus on that problem and that problem alone. I know people are experiencing other problems, but I cannot reliably reproduce those other problems. I can only reliably reproduce this one. That doesn't mean I know how to fix it yet (or even whether the problem is in Preware or webOS), but it does mean that I can at least start the diagnosis.

What I need is for others to either confirm or deny this repeatable test case. Please follow closely if you want to be involved.

To repeat this problem, you need to:

1) Restart Luna
    2) Open the phone dialpad
    3) Open your email window
    4) Open Preware
    5) Install or remove a homebrew package, but do not restart luna
    6) See whether the phone and email windows disappear when the rescan operation happens after the package is installed or removed
    7) Confirm that opening the phone dialpad hangs
    8) Confirm that opening email goes to the accounts page

If you are able to get this far, please continue.

9) Swipe closed the phone dialpad
    10) Go into your inbox in email, and the swipe closed the email window
    11) Open the dialpad. this time it will not hang
    12) Open your email. this time it will go to the inbox
    13) Open Preware
    14) Install or remove a homebrew application, but do not restart luna
    15) Note that the phone and email are not affected this time
    16) Close and reopen the phone. It will work fine.
    17) Close and reopen your email. It will work fine.

If you are able to get this far, please continue

18) Repeat steps 13 to 17 again. All will work fine.
    19) Restart Luna
    20) Repeat steps 2 to 8 again. The problem occurs.

Note that it is the same Preware in both cases, which to me indicates that the problem is in webOS, not in Preware. However, now that we have a repeatable test case we might be able to work-around it in Preware.

Please report if you are able to follow steps 1 to 20 exactly and reproduce the problem in both the positive and the negative forms.

If you can't follow instructions precisely, please don't try. We will have enough other people who can to confirm or deny the procedure.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Rod, I was able to repeat the test case exactly. Per your instructions, the phone and email bugs happened exactly when the instructions said they would and did not happen when the instructions said they wouldn't. I made it through all 20 steps with the same results. In case you need it, Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1 with Preware 1.0. The package I installed and uninstalled during this test was the Really Silent Ringer Switch patch.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

15.    #95  
    OK, for those with command line access, I have an even simpler test case:

1) Restart Luna
    2) Open the phone dialpad
    3) Open your email
    4) Access the device command line
    5) luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan '{}'
    6) Watch the phone and email windows disappear

So, I can reproduce this webOS bug without even starting Preware now.

I think that proves that it is not a Preware bug.

Note that it will only happen on the first rescan after a luna restart.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/13/2010 at 04:49 AM.
    @rwhitby :
    confirmed the steps with preware
    confirmed the steps with commandline

German GSM pre webos 1.4.1 ‹berKernel (ondemand)
    I can confirm the commandline steps! I knew it's a serious WebOS bug...
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Confirmed with command line....
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

@rwhitby

confirming with commandline

german gsm pre with 1.4.1

T.
    FYI,
    Im on Sprint 1.4.1.1, Preware 1.0. I am unable to install Luna Manager because it is looking for package manager. Has anyone else had this issue?
    I wanted to do a Doctor on my phone because I was having other issues, so this is happening on a fresh clean phone. Hopefully this is an issue that can be fixed shortly.