Page 48 of 86 FirstFirst ... 38434445464748495051525358 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Because you haven't written the code to do so ... ?

BTW, Preware only handles packages, not random files like pictures or spreadsheets.

-- Rod
    Hopefully Palm will wake up and do it soon.

"
    Now, keep in mind I'm talking about files, not applications. Once an app ipk is installed, it's no longer in ipk form; so don't expect to be easily illegally transferring app ipk files ota. "

Remember I am not interested in any illegal app transfer since that can be done a lot quicker and faster via WebOSQuickInstall if desired. One must be naive to assume that by limiting the transfer of files between devices will limit any other thing except FUNCTION.

WEB OS will eventually have all this and more wait and see is just logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    Hopefully Palm will wake up and do it soon.

"
    Now, keep in mind I'm talking about files, not applications. Once an app ipk is installed, it's no longer in ipk form; so don't expect to be easily illegally transferring app ipk files ota. "

Remember I am not interested in any illegal app transfer since that can be done a lot quicker and faster via WebOSQuickInstall if desired. One must be naive to assume that by limiting the transfer of files between devices will limit any other thing except FUNCTION.

WEB OS will eventually have all this and more wait and see is just logical.

Then why in the hell are you posting in a Package Manager thread, yelling at the Package Manager devs about something that has nothing to do with package management?

M.
    +1 ^^^
    I am trying to uninstall all of my patches, and am down to four which I cannot uninstall. I get the following error when trying to uninstall any of them using Preware:

Failed
    -1: Unable to run command : IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/... 2>&1
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    5 out of 5 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/...
    Is there any way to manually uninstall them? I have tried WebOS Repair Utility, including "Override Compatibility". I have also tried WebOSQuickInstall.

Can I simply find out which files have been modified by the patch somehow, restore those specific files using WebOS Repair Utility, and then somehow update the ipkg database to remove the patches from the list of installed packages?

Three of the patches seem to modify bar-assistant.jsjsjs ($Advanced$ $Reset$ $Options$, $GPS$ $Icon$ $On$ $Top$ $Bar$, $Ringer$ $Switch$ $Icon$) $and$ $the$ $other$ $patch$ $is$ $AutoSpeakerphone$ $via$ $Proximity$ $Sensor$ $Delayed$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Then why in the hell are you posting in a Package Manager thread, yelling at the Package Manager devs about something that has nothing to do with package management?

M.
    I am not yelling at anyone.....
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklique View Post
    I'm not sure if this is gonna work, but I've tried to attach a screenshot of the msg I'm getting.
    Charles
    This happened to my brother's device. Basically something deep in the core of webOS has gotten corrupted and the only solution is the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    I am not yelling at anyone.....
    Your frustration comes off as yelling, but anyways to my reason for replying. There are already methods you can use to transfer files from one device to another just not as directly as beaming. Which is where I don't understand why you are frustrated. One option that doesn't require you to go OTA with carrier data connection would be drive mode using a PC as the middle man. However there are simpler methods that require the use of either carrier data connection: zumodrive and dropbox; and with wifi: wifi media sync and file sync. Yes I understand that these aren't ideal and the wifi ones can't help you with one of the two devices not having wifi. But there isn't anyone can do without access to BT to use the protocol needed to beam.

In the world of development decisions have to be made to prioritize what gets worked on, implemented, and what gets put on the to do list. When you are building an OS from scratch and have a target release date you have to decide what is critical and what isn't. All the critical stuff makes it into 1.0 and then address immediate issues and begin to go through the to do list with priority of what should be done first. Unfortunately beaming files is one of those things that targets a niche within the customers and gets lower priority. I have no affiliation with palm this is just how I see it as a developer who has to weigh and prioritize things in development. And also from observing this process in practice over all sorts of development projects.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I am trying to uninstall all of my patches, and am down to four which I cannot uninstall. I get the following error when trying to uninstall any of them using Preware:

Is there any way to manually uninstall them? I have tried WebOS Repair Utility, including "Override Compatibility". I have also tried WebOSQuickInstall.

Can I simply find out which files have been modified by the patch somehow, restore those specific files using WebOS Repair Utility, and then somehow update the ipkg database to remove the patches from the list of installed packages?

Three of the patches seem to modify bar-assistant.jsjsjs ($Advanced$ $Reset$ $Options$, $GPS$ $Icon$ $On$ $Top$ $Bar$, $Ringer$ $Switch$ $Icon$) $and$ $the$ $other$ $patch$ $is$ $AutoSpeakerphone$ $via$ $Proximity$ $Sensor$ $Delayed$.
    Webos Doctor will eradicate all errors/issuses/problems that you're experiencing. It takes a few minutes to add back everything. I do it when I'm having one of those unknown problems.
    so as has happened to many people my pre logged out of my palm profile. so i lost preware. funny thing is i re install it and my available options are about a quarter of what it used to be i used to have like 7k plus now i have about 1500...what happened and what did i do wrong
  9.    #949  
    Quote Originally Posted by champion37 View Post
    so as has happened to many people my pre logged out of my palm profile. so i lost preware. funny thing is i re install it and my available options are about a quarter of what it used to be i used to have like 7k plus now i have about 1500...what happened and what did i do wrong
    As the splash screen on which you clicked "I've read this, let's continue" says, use the Manage Feeds menu item.

-- Rod
    By the way, at that splash screen you mention, for new system updates, can you make it so that the feeds update in the background while you read?
  11.    #951  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    By the way, at that splash screen you mention, for new system updates, can you make it so that the feeds update in the background while you read?
    I'll check with Brandon (oil) to see whether that is possible in the Mojo.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Preware Wish List Item:

When installing a kernel, don't give the option to REBOOT, make it a SHUTDOWN and have the message to instruct the User to pull the battery out for N seconds before powering it back up.

'Tis but a thought. I always do that and for me (personally), it'd be a lot easier than hitting Later, closing Preware, going to Device Info, etc.

M.
  13.    #953  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Preware Wish List Item:

When installing a kernel, don't give the option to REBOOT, make it a SHUTDOWN and have the message to instruct the User to pull the battery out for N seconds before powering it back up.

'Tis but a thought. I always do that and for me (personally), it'd be a lot easier than hitting Later, closing Preware, going to Device Info, etc.

M.
    I've never had to pull the battery due to a kernel install. Preware advises a full reboot, and gives an "OK" button to do so.

We always tell people to install Govnah first, and then UberKernel, and then hit OK to reboot.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I've never had to pull the battery due to a kernel install. Preware advises a full reboot, and gives an "OK" button to do so.

We always tell people to install Govnah first, and then UberKernel, and then hit OK to reboot.

-- Rod

Well, I guess I'm just a bit more used to be one of the more "daring" ones and use the alpha kernels with the "regesitors" changing between them and the hardware needing the reset as well.

It was just a thought I decided to type. Damn, shot down yet again!

Thanks, Rod!

M.
    I'll check with Brandon (oil) to see whether that is possible in the Mojo.

-- Rod
    Nobody reads the startup scene anyways.
    Every once and a while (like right now) for not apparent reason when I launch preware my list of installed applications comes up grayed out and I can't list, change or delete anything I have installed. Does anyone know why this happens and a simple way to correct it short of blowing it out with a "doctoring". it's really quite annoying. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwatton View Post
    Every once and a while (like right now) for not apparent reason when I launch preware my list of installed applications comes up grayed out and I can't list, change or delete anything I have installed. Does anyone know why this happens and a simple way to correct it short of blowing it out with a "doctoring". it's really quite annoying. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Scott
    You need to give a full bug report in the Preware thread, and rwhitby should be able to help. What preware version, webos version, install method?

Pip
    Or, the op might wanna delete and reinstall preware ~ to see if this might fix the problem. Do this > After deleting preware reinstall it by using the preware standalone method. Once installed preware will then prompt you to upgrade to the latest version. Ps. Remember to give a full bug report in the preware thread... as pip smith suggested.
    Link: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware
    cheers.~
    Last edited by RUSH; 09/14/2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Rod, I've been doing a lot of hardware and software tinkering lately and I have to say that your teardown walkthrough has been invaluable to me.
    To get my daily pre on par with my Frankensteins, I doctored it with 1.4.5. Now when I try to add the testing feeds, I get error msg's like the one attached. I duplicated the issue by trying to add the feeds individually and with every combination. Using feed instructions from [url= Feeds - WebOS Internals[/url] and as always doing it all through preware. Running v1.3.6_ and currently have Uber enabled at 1GHz. A bunch of patches too, although all the above was installed after I had issues with the testing feeds.
    If this issue has already been touched upon, feel free to point me to the post and flame me to hell. Thanks!

**Having trouble attaching the screenshot. I'll post it when I get back to a computer in the next 30 mins or so.**
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    where do I find help with v0.9.4 which is stuck updating each time I launch the program? This has been going on for 2 days. The program won't open, just spins on the updating.