Page 46 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #901  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    as always...thanks Rod. Problem solved.
    OK, so attempting to track down why it happened to you:

Did you have any background app catalog installs happening at the same time as using WOSQI or Internalz?

The app catalog does not lock the status file which records what packages are installed. Preware will block any attempt to install stuff using Preware while app catalog background installs are underway, but neither WOSQI nor Internalz (both from Canuck Software, not WebOS Internals) has that safety feature, so can cause this problem.

That's the only repeatable cause that we know about at the moment (and we can't fix Jason's tools to stop it, we can only provide the ERU utility to fix the result). Does that explain why it happened to you?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi Rod,

I have wrote a patch and package it to a ipk file, including a postinst script in it, which will 'exit 1' if the patch installation failed. But when I trying to install it with preware, it always says package installed successfully even if the log file says the installation is failed and exited with 1, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Tim
  3.    #903  
    Quote Originally Posted by urtheman View Post
    Hi Rod,

I have wrote a patch and package it to a ipk file, including a postinst script in it, which will 'exit 1' if the patch installation failed. But when I trying to install it with preware, it always says package installed successfully even if the log file says the installation is failed and exited with 1, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Tim
    Yes, this is a bug in the webOS instal service - it ignores error returns from postinst scripts.

For patches from feeds, we use a different install mechanism, but that mechanism can't be used for apps cause it does not update the launcher icons.

So one or the other method does not work for both apps and patches. We select between the two methods for packages installed from feeds.

The solution to your problem is to submit the patch to the patches feed ...

-- Rod
  4. OrR
    When I update installed packages, either by clicking update all or by updating the one single thing that needs an update, it goes back to the Preware home screen like it should. However, it still shows the original number of updates. (For example two apps needing an update.) If I tap on updates, it seems to load the list of things to update, realize it's empty and then goes back to the home screen where it still shows the original update count.

I've seen this bug three times now, once on 1.3.5 and twice on 1.3.6. I'm not sure if it happens only sometimes or always. It's difficult to reproduce because I don't have anything that needs an update most of the time.

When I restart Preware, the issue vanishes and the update count is at 0 again. Of course, every start of Preware includes updating the feeds etc. so that might be what fixes it. If it happens again, I'll try a manual feed update without closing Preware and see what happens.
    These thumbs say it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

Did you have any background app catalog installs happening at the same time as using WOSQI or Internalz?

The app catalog does not lock the status file which records what packages are installed. Preware will block any attempt to install stuff using Preware while app catalog background installs are underway, but neither WOSQI nor Internalz (both from Canuck Software, not WebOS Internals) has that safety feature, so can cause this problem.

That's the only repeatable cause that we know about at the moment (and we can't fix Jason's tools to stop it, we can only provide the ERU utility to fix the result). Does that explain why it happened to you?

-- Rod
    The same thing happened to me when updating to the latest Preware. I believe I had an App Catalog window up (not installing anything) while doing the Preware update. After the update completed successfully, Preware auto-closed as usual, but the icon was gone from my launcher.

I then used Internalz to reinstall the Preware ipk since I was away from a computer, and it came back up with zero installed packages, even after restoring Preware settings using Save/Restore. The Emergency Reconstruction Utility fixed everything right up though!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Honestly Rod, Im not sure what caused the problem. I woke up this morning and checked preware like i do every morning and noticed that there was not anything showing in the installed apps. I dont recall doing anything any different than i do every day.
    Have not used PreWare in many, many months. Now I wanted to use it again, but when I open it, it just sits on the screen "Downloading Feed Information" forever. The screen says if it takes too long to try disabling feeds one at a time, but if the app nevers gets to an open state, how can I do that? Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBbear View Post
    Have not used PreWare in many, many months. Now I wanted to use it again, but when I open it, it just sits on the screen "Downloading Feed Information" forever. The screen says if it takes too long to try disabling feeds one at a time, but if the app nevers gets to an open state, how can I do that? Anyone have any ideas?
    Did you try a reboot yet?
    I've watched more closely about when exactly I'm prompted with file type association dialog. This is happening with the first time preware is opened after rebooting the device. Subsequent times preware is opened it doesn't ask until a reboot is done. I rebooted several times and opened preware several times after each reboot to confirm replicate that this is what was happening.

Sprint pre 1.4.5
    preware 1.3.6
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Is it possible to get Preware to stop detecting updates before they go live for the App Catalog? I keep getting updates shown in Preware that I can't download for several hours, or even a day!
  12.    #912  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Is it possible to get Preware to stop detecting updates before they go live for the App Catalog? I keep getting updates shown in Preware that I can't download for several hours, or even a day!
    Preware reads a processed version of the Palm App Catalog RSS feeds. We have no way to determine whether the information published by Palm in those feeds is correct or not, since Preware cannot directly access the app catalog.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Ack, well then if you could somehow increase the speed at which it access the that RSS feed that would be good, loading the catalog is by far the longest thing in loading Preware for me right now.
  14.    #914  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Ack, well then if you could somehow increase the speed at which it access the that RSS feed that would be good, loading the catalog is by far the longest thing in loading Preware for me right now.
    That's planned for Preware Generation 2 which will hopefully use the db8 database functionality announced for webOS 2.0 to do instant loading and background synching of feeds.

-- Rod
    The new Preware will allow you to download an IPK file and install it in the PRE/PIXI directly.

Now the remainder problem at hand is how to download a ZIP file into the PRE/PIXI open it and install the IPK

Any suggestions?.
  16.    #916  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    The new Preware will allow you to download an IPK file and install it in the PRE/PIXI directly.

Now the remainder problem at hand is how to download a ZIP file into the PRE/PIXI open it and install the IPK

Any suggestions?.
    Why would ipk files be distributed as zip files? Developers sending beta versions to testers just attach the ipk file directly or give a URL to the ipk file or give a URL to a testing feed. Homebrew links on app gallery websites also give the URL directly to the ipk file.

-- Rod
    There is world out there beyond Developers and Homebrew. Also if we were able to download zip files into the Pre imaging the endless possibilities that will bring to PALM users.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    Did you try a reboot yet?
    Reboot was one of the first things I tried.
  19.    #919  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    There is world out there beyond Developers and Homebrew. Also if we were able to download zip files into the Pre imaging the endless possibilities that will bring to PALM users.
    What world is that? What is the use case for the feature you are suggesting?

-- Rod
    Alright, I had this happen before and i couldnt get it back, today when I opened up preware it shows that I have nothing installed but the patches/themes/apps still show up on my phone, I had about 40 total packages installed. Any Ideas?