Page 45 of 86 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Maybe that would be a feature to add, a "Link Scrubber" that searches for the .ipk and then deletes everything else after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I removed the stuff after the ".IPK" in my link. Can someone try the new link in Preware and let me know if the installation works (without needing to edit the link)?
    Well, actually, now that I tried it on another device, it still contains the stuff after the link. I just quick glanced at it from my device and it looked correct (maybe when I edited the link it cached it that way, not sure how/why?).

From the other device the stuff after .ipk is still there.
    From a PC, the link appears to have the stuff still after the .ipk, but upon downloading it, the extra stuff is removed and you just get the .ipk.

Sorry DanPLC for the "sorta" false report of it working.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  3. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I still had all the stuff after ipk come through. I had to edit the file name in Preware's IPK installer before it would work.
  4.    #884  
    Preware 1.3.6 is released to the public feeds.

Changes since the last public release include:

Preware now supports installation of application package files (.ipk files) directly from URLs, email attachments, and local files.
    Also supported are Send to Preware links on homebrew application gallery and news websites (this requires the Neato! application to also be installed).
    If Preware continually asks you about file associations on every single launch, even after you have answered Yes to the questions it asks, then you may have a damaged file association table and will need to run the Emergency MimeTable Reset tool and then reboot to repair it.
    Updated translations.
    Always ask the user before modifying the file association list.
    Check whether Preware is the default application for handling packages, and advise the user if it is not.
    Added Preware to the Default Applications list to allow for installing packages from email messages and the browser.
    Fixed the Saved Package List swipe to delete bug.
    Open the My Applications app catalog screen when multiple app catalog applications need updating.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    updating now
    Nice! Was hoping Preware would have .ipk links! Internalz was fine but Im mouch more familiar with Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    updating now
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

Preware now supports installation of application package files (.ipk files) directly from URLs, email attachments, and local files.
    I'm curious...weren't you against this for security reasons at one time? What changed your mind?

Not a complaint, just wondering.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I'm curious...weren't you against this for security reasons at one time? What changed your mind?

Not a complaint, just wondering.

Thanks!
    You missed the podcast with rod on it the other week.
    I would try to explain but it wouldn't be as good as rod's explanation. I recommend skipping to the podcast, it is near the begginning of it.

Pip
  10.    #890  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Yep, that's a good question.

As of webOS 1.4.0, Palm changed their package installation service in a way that basically negated the ability for Preware to prevent installation of rogue packages (since any Mojo application which masqueraded in the com.palm.* namespace could call that Palm installation service, and that installation service allowed scripts to run as root).

Since the ability to maintain the security of homebrew packages was thus completely obliterated by Palm, we decided that we should no longer keep people thinking that they have a false sense of security, but instead educate the homebrew community that they must be vigilant against rogue packages from unknown developers.

The functionality has been available in the testing version of Preware for some months now, but we were waiting until we could program a mechanism to ask for the user's consent to install file associations before we were happy to deploy this functionality to the public feeds.

So the user must first agree to the file association in general, and then also confirm the installation of each specific package. We expect this will be sufficient to stop the majority of social engineering attacks, but we still advise end-users to always install packages from trusted package feeds wherever possible, and not just install any random ipkg file they find on the internet or attached to a forum post from someone who does not have a track record of trust in the development community.

Installing from a package feed also means that you are then automatically alerted to updates of that package by Preware, so that bug fixes or security fixes can be pushed out to users quickly.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/05/2010 at 06:53 PM.
    As of webOS 1.4.0, Palm changed their package installation service in a way that basically negated the ability for Preware to prevent installation of rogue packages

Since the ability to maintain the security of homebrew packages was thus completely obliterated by Palm, we decided that we should no longer keep people thinking that they have a false sense of security, but instead educate the homebrew community that they must be vigilant against rogue packages from unknown developers.
    Thanks for the explanation. Preware has always worked perfectly for me so I haven't been following the threads too much.

As always, your work is much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I tried installing the ipk for Music Player Remix 2.0 using Neato, but received an error message from Preware: "Invalid parameter".

So I emailed the file to myself instead and installed it by tapping on the file attachment from my Pre. That launched Preware and it worked.

Here is the page I sent to my Pre via Neato. It contains the URL to the Neato IPK.

https://sites.google.com/site/hedami...attredirects=0
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    I tried installing the ipk for Music Player Remix 2.0 using Neato, but received an error message from Preware: "Invalid parameter".

So I emailed the file to myself instead and installed it by tapping on the file attachment from my Pre. That launched Preware and it worked.

Here is the page I sent to my Pre via Neato. It contains the URL to the Neato IPK.

https://sites.google.com/site/hedami...attredirects=0
    It's the "?attredirects=0" that probably generated your "Invalid parameter" error. The Google Sites web page seems to add that to the end of file attachements.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I started having a problem with my feeds taking extremely long times to load. I finally sat down one day and just waited until it finally finished. When it does finish I get a page of errors and nothing is listed as available for install. I only get a count on the "Installed Packages". Everything (Package Updates, Available Packages, and List of Everything) has not count and nothing is available for download. I tried using WOSQI to uninstall and reinstall preware. After doing that I got some message about .IPK not being associated with preware. I gave it the OK to associated it, but my lists are still empty. I read something about an emergency patch recovery, but my patches are find (as far as I know). And I certainly can't use preware to install that EPR tool. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks!
  15.    #895  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael05 View Post
    I started having a problem with my feeds taking extremely long times to load. I finally sat down one day and just waited until it finally finished. When it does finish I get a page of errors and nothing is listed as available for install. I only get a count on the "Installed Packages". Everything (Package Updates, Available Packages, and List of Everything) has not count and nothing is available for download. I tried using WOSQI to uninstall and reinstall preware. After doing that I got some message about .IPK not being associated with preware. I gave it the OK to associated it, but my lists are still empty. I read something about an emergency patch recovery, but my patches are find (as far as I know). And I certainly can't use preware to install that EPR tool. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks!
    This sounds like an underlying problem with your device's networking capabilities. Try visiting http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/ from the browser on your device. Make sure you're not stuck behind a wifi hotspot login page or something like that. If you're on cellular data, try it on wifi, and vice versa.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.

Also supported are Send to Preware links on homebrew application gallery and news websites (this requires the Neato! application to also be installed).
    If Preware continually asks you about file associations on every single launch, even after you have answered Yes to the questions it asks, then you may have a damaged file association table and will need to run the Emergency MimeTable Reset tool and then reboot to repair it.
    Updated translations.
    Always ask the user before modifying the file association list.
    Check whether Preware is the default application for handling packages, and advise the user if it is not.
    Added Preware to the Default Applications list to allow for installing packages from email messages and the browser.
    Fixed the Saved Package List swipe to delete bug.
    Open the My Applications app catalog screen when multiple app catalog applications need updating.

-- Rod
    is it possible... (i know prob not but why not ask)... to get a web url download link for preware.. and have users just activate devmode... access the public web link and download and install preware?

throw tomatoes .............................. NOW
  17.    #897  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    is it possible... (i know prob not but why not ask)... to get a web url download link for preware.. and have users just activate devmode... access the public web link and download and install preware?
    It is not.

You can get the ipkg from http://get.preware.org/ (or down in the feeds at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/....) but you will need an advanced homebrew installer to be able to install it.

Your choices of on-device advanced homebrew installers are Preware and Internalz. You can install either of them using the other, but you have to have one of them installed first, and the prerequisites to install either of them are identical.

So it's a catch-22, which is the reason why Palm is not concerned about the security aspects of Preware and homebrew, because you cannot break the Palm-liable app catalog security model unless you connect your device to a host computer and consciously install an advanced homebrew installer.

If this was to change, it would be a massive security vulnerability, and would need to be fixed by Palm (we would be the first to point it out to them). So it's not going to happen.

-- Rod
    If this has already been discussed i apologize in advance...im not sure what the heck i done but none of my installed patches or apps are showing up on the home screen of preware (under installed packages). all of them still seem to be working just fine but are not showing as installed? I can see this being a problem when an update comes trhu and im not aware of it because preware doesnt see it as installed. Anyone have any ideas for me?
  19.    #899  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    If this has already been discussed i apologize in advance...im not sure what the heck i done but none of my installed patches or apps are showing up on the home screen of preware (under installed packages). all of them still seem to be working just fine but are not showing as installed? I can see this being a problem when an update comes trhu and im not aware of it because preware doesnt see it as installed. Anyone have any ideas for me?
    Run the Emergency Reconstruction Utility in Preware.

-- Rod
    as always...thanks Rod. Problem solved.