Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Rod.... Is your recommendation?

1. Use Save / Restore to save Preware settings
    2. Run EMR from Preware
    3. Uninstall Internalz (using Preware) and then Preware (can preware uninstall itself?)
    4. Then reinstall Preware (install.preware.org)
    5. Restore Preware settings from S/R
    6. Then reinstall Internalz

Just checking that I have the order of events correct (clearly the save/restore steps are optional)...
  2.    #862  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post

2. Run EMR from Preware
    3. Uninstall Internalz (using Preware) and then Preware (can preware uninstall itself?)

Just checking that I have the order of events correct (clearly the save/restore steps are optional)...
    Yes, that is correct. Yes, Preware can uninstall itself.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #863  

2. Run EMR from Preware

Actually, I just realised that you should not need to uninstall and reinstall Preware.

Simply running Preware 1.3.3 or later after you reboot after running EMR will reinstate the file association.

You will need to reinstall Internalz if you use it, since it does not yet have the functionality to do file association on launch, only on install.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I installed EMR
    Rebooted
    Fired up Preware - asked again for default
    Updated feed - asked again
    Rebooted
    Fired up Preware - asked again
    Uninstalled Internalz
    Installed EMR again
    Rebooted
    Feed update manually - asked again

New Logs attached.

I am going to uninstall Preware as well this time and reinstall it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RMB; 08/31/2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I installed EMR
    Rebooted
    Fired up Preware - asked again for default
    Updated feed - asked again
    Rebooted
    Uninstalled Internalz
    Installed EMR again
    Rebooted
    Feed update manually - asked again

New Logs attached.

I am going to uninstall Preware as well this time and reinstall it.
    Same issue here. Except tried a 2nd time removing and reinstalling Preware... still no joy. I didn't run the logs this time, but I'll do so tomorrow and update again.

For now, I manually turned off the "Ask IPK" question in Preware settings so it doesn't ask every time, but I don't know which installer has default ownership for ipks right now.

On a partially related note, my Save / Restore for Preware wasn't quite what I expected.... Preware feeds came back, but not general settings (is Luna or full restart required?). I'll post over in S/R about that issue...
  6.    #866  
    Same issue here. Except tried a 2nd time removing and reinstalling Preware... still no joy. I didn't run the logs this time, but I'll do so tomorrow and update again.

For now, I manually turned off the "Ask IPK" question in Preware settings so it doesn't ask every time, but I don't know which installer has default ownership for ipks right now.
    For your device, it will be Preware. Feel free to just leave it in that state - there is no problem if you do.

I will take a look at EMR tonight to see why it is not working for you.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Firstly, selecting Preware to be the default .ipk file association does not affect the operation of Internalz at all. Internalz will make the choice as to what happens if you open an .ipk file in Internalz. Jason may well make Internalz honour the default association even for packages opened inside Internalz in the future, but that's his call.
    This is working as it is supposed to then. And I figured it was I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the details on the outside of internalz stuff as well. I haven't done any any installs from outside of preware after this feature was added. But I have realized the ease being able to do it is. Now when I build my projects I can just send the file with one of the wifi sync apps and don't have to mess with dev mode and USB connecting.

Unfortunately, you have the old name stuck in your mimeTable.

One thing you can try is running the Emergency Mime Reset tool from Preware, and then reboot your device. This should clear all non-default entries out of the table, and allow you to reinstall Preware and Internalz to reinstate the file associations for both.

Let me know if that works for you.

-- Rod
    I think I may have had this happen to me. I thought it was a cookie thing and so I didn't post about it because periodically my device acts like some cookies are missing and prompts for stuff that again. Preware doesn't prompt me every time but frequently enough to figure it is not the same as the cookie thing now having seen these posts. Do I need to verify anything or is it safe to proceed with the EMR steps below minus steps 3, 4, and 5.

2. Run EMR from Preware

As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    For your device, it will be Preware. Feel free to just leave it in that state - there is no problem if you do.

I will take a look at EMR tonight to see why it is not working for you.

-- Rod
    Confirmed by testing an email .ipk attachment.

I guess a possible feature request would be to be able to also have Preware save ipk (and .patch?) email attachment files it installs to a /media/internal folder for on-device install files for future reference and ease of use... (it's not such a regular occurance for me, but easy reference of such installs is good)

Regarding why running EMR didn't work, I'm tied up this morning but if it will help your review of EMR, later today I'll turn on logging and run through the EMR again, and then run Preware (twice), then send you the logs.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I'm not finding Mime Reset Tool in preware... I have all the other Emergency tools. Am I missing something?
    Rod -- Seems like the latest Preware testing-feed update (to 1.3.5 I think) has fixed my issue with repeated asking about "Check .IPK Association".... If you did not do anything to fix this (it's not clear from the log) then maybe it's just that I had switched that setting from YES to NO and then back again.... around the time of the 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 updates yesterday. Not sure which of these fixed my problem... I'm sorry I didn't get to pull those logs for you.... would my current log still be helpful to you in any way?
  11.    #871  
    Rod -- Seems like the latest Preware testing-feed update (to 1.3.5 I think) has fixed my issue with repeated asking about "Check .IPK Association".... If you did not do anything to fix this (it's not clear from the log) then maybe it's just that I had switched that setting from YES to NO and then back again.... around the time of the 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 updates yesterday. Not sure which of these fixed my problem... I'm sorry I didn't get to pull those logs for you.... would my current log still be helpful to you in any way?
    I suspect the value is cached somewhere in LunaSysMgr and the cache cleared during that time. No need for logs thanks.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    FYI, it stopped asking me today. I never ran EMR. I just updated Preware twice over the last day and then this morning when I updated, it didn't ask.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod.

The updated Preware version seems to have fixed the issue.
    I've launched preware 1.3.5 ten times since just over 24 hours ago for testing. Eight times four before and four after opening and closing internalz (a hunch but turns out nothing as I didn't think it was the cause but since I use it frequently wanted to get it in there). And twice after my daily reboot the first of those two times it asked me yes or no about IPK. Is there anything I can do or a log file to get that can help troubleshoot why it periodically is asking again?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  15.    #875  
    Preware 1.3.6 is now in the testing feed. This version should work with the upcoming Neato!-powered "Send to Preware" buttons that should appear on websites such as PreCentral and webOSroundup soon ...

If you experience any issues regarding file associations, please run "dbus-util --capture applicationManager" on the command line while starting Preware and post the output.

-- Rod
    Just to let you know, I browsed to the Music Player Remix beta thread and tried downloading the .ipk for the beta. Unfortunately, while Preware opened properly and gave me the option to install the .ipk, it didn't work. Said something about not being able to find the name or something like that. Can't remember now. Maybe it's because it's being hosted on a Google site?

This is with the 1.3.6 by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just to let you know, I browsed to the Music Player Remix beta thread and tried downloading the .ipk for the beta. Unfortunately, while Preware opened properly and gave me the option to install the .ipk, it didn't work. Said something about not being able to find the name or something like that. Can't remember now. Maybe it's because it's being hosted on a Google site?

This is with the 1.3.6 by the way.
    I did as well, you need to remove all the crap after the .ipk in the link. Then it works.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    I did as well, you need to remove all the crap after the .ipk in the link. Then it works.
    I removed the stuff after the ".IPK" in my link. Can someone try the new link in Preware and let me know if the installation works (without needing to edit the link)?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I removed the stuff after the ".IPK" in my link. Can someone try the new link in Preware and let me know if the installation works (without needing to edit the link)?
    That worked for me.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    That worked for me.
    Cool thanks.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami