Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Thanks for the pointer. I missed that thread. Interesting reading. I plan to stick with Preware as my handler/installer. I did not realize it was changed to Internalz until Preware told me so.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Run the ERU.

I hope you shutdown fully before pulling the battery. Otherwise you risk file corruption.

-- Rod
    Thanks! Didn't realize the ERU was there...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    rod I notice a few patches in the feed say not available for 1.4.5 but on precentral they are 1.4.5 One that stands out is Autobcc. Is this the new way preware is handling new patch submissions or is it the way the patch was submitted? Just getting clarification. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Anyone else having issues loading Preware this morning? I tried loading it and it was taking forever to download the package list so I shut it down, restarted my phone and tried again. This time I let it sit for a while and I eventually got an error message telling me that it couldn't load the package list, and then finished it's load. But when the main screen came up the "Available Packages" list is greyed out.

Anyone?
    Same problems here (on Bell Mobility in Canada)... the feeds never load.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    rod I notice a few patches in the feed say not available for 1.4.5 but on precentral they are 1.4.5 One that stands out is Autobcc. Is this the new way preware is handling new patch submissions or is it the way the patch was submitted? Just getting clarification. Thanks.
    It has to do with the submission process, we are on it (Actually I think that one is my fault).
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
    Anyone else having issues loading Preware this morning? I tried loading it and it was taking forever to download the package list so I shut it down, restarted my phone and tried again. This time I let it sit for a while and I eventually got an error message telling me that it couldn't load the package list, and then finished it's load. But when the main screen came up the "Available Packages" list is greyed out.

Anyone?
    Feeds seem to be loading fine for me... if you continue to have issues with it let us know in #webos-internals on freenode (or via this link):

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Question, as the default ipk handler what is the intended functionality of it being so? Example if one chooses to open an ipk in internalz is preware supposed to take over and install the ipk instead of internalz install app card opening? Or is it strictly for when an ipk is opened within webOS system and palm apps? I'm assuming it is meant to allow internalz to handle ipk installs from within itself and the rest handled by preware but I wanted to make sure I know how it works so I can report any problems if there happen to be any. Also is this effectively the solution to the reason for my request of having the install package menu item in the menu at the update feeds yes/no prompt?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  9.    #849  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Question, as the default ipk handler what is the intended functionality of it being so? Example if one chooses to open an ipk in internalz is preware supposed to take over and install the ipk instead of internalz install app card opening? Or is it strictly for when an ipk is opened within webOS system and palm apps? I'm assuming it is meant to allow internalz to handle ipk installs from within itself and the rest handled by preware but I wanted to make sure I know how it works so I can report any problems if there happen to be any. Also is this effectively the solution to the reason for my request of having the install package menu item in the menu at the update feeds yes/no prompt?
    Firstly, selecting Preware to be the default .ipk file association does not affect the operation of Internalz at all. Internalz will make the choice as to what happens if you open an .ipk file in Internalz. Jason may well make Internalz honour the default association even for packages opened inside Internalz in the future, but that's his call.

Selecting Preware to be the default .ipk file association means that if you click an .ipk file link in the browser, or if you receive an .ipk file as an attachment in your email, or if you use a "Send to Preware" button on a website in conjunction with the new Neato! application, you can click on it and it will be passed to Preware ready for you to confirm with a single click to install it.

WebOS Internals recommends that you select Preware to be the default file association for .ipk files. In the future, if the file has dependencies (e.g. Save/Restore depends on Zip and UnZip), then Preware will be able to automatically alert you to those dependencies and install them from the feeds if they are not already installed. Dependency handling is only possible with a package manager that already has access to the online feeds. If the required dependencies are not installed, the package will not operate correctly, so for installations we recommend you use Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Preware 1.3.3 keeps asking me to add preware to the association list for .ipk. I have answered "Yes" multiple times, but it does it again when the feeds are updated (at launch or manually).
    In the default application, Preware is set as default for .ipk.
    I know I can disable Preware to check for .ipk association in preference.

Shouldn't Preware detect that it's already associated with .ipk and not ask for it at every feed update?
  11.    #851  
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    Preware 1.3.3 keeps asking me to add preware to the association list for .ipk. I have answered "Yes" multiple times, but it does it again when the feeds are updated (at launch or manually).
    In the default application, Preware is set as default for .ipk.
    I know I can disable Preware to check for .ipk association in preference.

Shouldn't Preware detect that it's already associated with .ipk and not ask for it at every feed update?
    It definitely is coded to do so, but there can always be bugs. It does not keep asking for me.

Are you able to run 'dbus-util --capture applicationManager' while you start Preware and post the output?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It definitely is coded to do so, but there can always be bugs. It does not keep asking for me.

Are you able to run 'dbus-util --capture applicationManager' while you start Preware and post the output?

-- Rod
    Can you please let me know how can I run that?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Attached is the output from:
    dbus-util --capture applicationManager 2> preware.log

It was started before I brought up the launcher and ended after I hit Yes on the ipk associations dialog.

- Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I tried to run this through terminal, but there was no output sent to the log file, I must be doing something wrong
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I tried to run this through terminal, but there was no output sent to the log file, I must be doing something wrong
    I did the following:

1. Launch Terminal
    2. Execute: dbus-util --capture applicationManager 2> preware.log
    3. Minimize Terminal, open Launcher and launch Preware (and answer prompts in Preware)
    4. After feeds are done loading, answer Yes to ipk association prompt
    5. Minimize Preware
    6. Maximize Terminal
    7. Press Sym-C to stop dbus-util
    8. Execute: mv preware.log /media/internal/
    9. Connect Pre to computer in USB mode and copy preware.log

HTH.
    - Mark
    Same thing happening to me.... continued asking about IPK association. Selecting "yes" on the pop-up (to both the button and the slider -- how are these different) at least 5 or 7 times today.

Running Preware 1.3.33 on Sprint Pre with webos 1.4.5

I'm fairly sure I had previously said yes last week to Internalz' request to be the default handler for .ipk and .patch files. Per the other comments here, I'm most comfortable keeping Preware associated for installations and using Internalz as a file manager / text editor (No offense Jason, I luv you too)

Log file attached below. Same process as mknapp
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Log attached.

The file contains logs during feed update once during launch and then manual feed update.
  18.    #858  
    Quote Originally Posted by mknapp View Post
    Attached is the output from:
    dbus-util --capture applicationManager 2> preware.log

It was started before I brought up the launcher and ended after I hit Yes on the ipk associations dialog.
    OK, this one I understand why it is happening, and it is a very isolated special case you have.

A couple of months ago, for about 6 hours, we had a version of Preware in the testing feed which had this ipk file association functionality enabled. But we took it out again within 6 hours, cause we realised that it was rude to do file associations without asking the user's permission or taking into account other programs that may also want to register with the same file assocation.

At that time, we used the mimeType 'application/vnd.preware.ipk' for the new file association. Note that this would have blocked Internalz from being able to register for .ipk unless they also used the vnd.preware.ipk name.

In the period after that, I raised this issue with Jason, and I suggested that we both use application/vnd.webos.ipk for the mimeType. Both Internalz and Preware now use that name.

Unfortunately, you have the old name stuck in your mimeTable.

One thing you can try is running the Emergency Mime Reset tool from Preware, and then reboot your device. This should clear all non-default entries out of the table, and allow you to reinstall Preware and Internalz to reinstate the file associations for both.

Let me know if that works for you.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  19.    #859  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Same thing happening to me.... continued asking about IPK association. Selecting "yes" on the pop-up (to both the button and the slider -- how are these different) at least 5 or 7 times today.

Running Preware 1.3.33 on Sprint Pre with webos 1.4.5

I'm fairly sure I had previously said yes last week to Internalz' request to be the default handler for .ipk and .patch files. Per the other comments here, I'm most comfortable keeping Preware associated for installations and using Internalz as a file manager / text editor (No offense Jason, I luv you too)

Log file attached below. Same process as mknapp
    Yep, you're in the same situation with the obsolete mimeType.

-- Rod
  20.    #860  
    Log attached.

The file contains logs during feed update once during launch and then manual feed update.
    Yep, same cause. Try the EMR tool.

-- Rod