Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2530313233343536373839404585 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Results from adding my previously listed developers to blacklist:
    Did I misunderstand this whole thread?

I thought we were talking about individual Homebrew users being advised to block - or not block, if they so chose - certain developers from their PreWare app list.

Now I just tried my own advice from my previous message out on the two worst offenders - Brighthouse Labs and AppBookShop, and they are both gone - surely there can't be a central Black List? That would be something I would oppose most strongly.
    Preware will never have a pre-populated blacklist. It's not our place to call out other devs.

And, yes, the blacklist is checked after packages are loaded. So there is no need to update feeds in between changes to the list.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Suggestion: Can a check box be added for each blacklist item to quickly enable/disable the blacklist entry without having to edit the item?

Thanks... plee3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    At least here in Germany, that's easily solved: with them not blocked, I just have to call up "Apps-All", then scroll down to "This Week", and there a lot of them are: "BarBack Cocktail Drinks", "#! Non Alcoholic Drinks", "Fat-Flush-On-The-Go", "Bible Bundle ASV". "Yoga-On-The-Go".
    Ah this explains it then. I'm in the US so german developers don't show up in the app catalog and I have preware set to show english apps only to avoid seeing apps that aren't available to me in the US or otherwise wouldn't be able to use because of being in a language I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Suggestion: Can a check box be added for each blacklist item to quickly enable/disable the blacklist entry without having to edit the item?

Thanks... plee3
    I see that being useful on rare occasion. So I'd be in favor of it.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    There isn't really much space for a checkbox/toggle on the row. Though we are considering a blacklist on/off switch for such occasions you don't want any filtering.

Ah this explains it then. I'm in the US so german developers don't show up in the app catalog and I have preware set to show english apps only to avoid seeing apps that aren't available to me in the US or otherwise wouldn't be able to use because of being in a language I don't know.
    Of note: English Only/Free Only/etc options are filtered in a different place then blacklists. They're all done at load, and completely skips the package if it fits the criteria, where blacklisting is done after all packages are loaded, when the app asks for a count or a list of packages. If your blacklist is crazy long or they're all searching the description, and you have all feeds enabled, you will probably see some performance decrease in the lists. (though the limits of this have not been tested.)

Also, info which may help with any string matching confusion:
    They're all case-insensitive full-string searches.
    A blacklist on "App", "app", or "APP" would all match "App", "app", and "APP".
    A blacklist on "test" would match "test app", "app test", and "awesometestasorus".
    A blacklist on "one two" would match "zero one two three" but not "one or two", "two one", or "onetwo".
    While the examples are crap, I hope they get the point across.
    Errr..., sorry, no.

I just un-blacklisted Mobifusion; they have the maximum number of countries listed, and the language is "en"; I just looked at their web site - according to the FlagFox plug-in in FirFox, they are based in the US. ( http://mobifusion.com )

Must be some other reason why you can't see them.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    There isn't really much space for a checkbox/toggle on the row. Though we are considering a blacklist on/off switch for such occasions you don't want any filtering.
    This would be great.

Thanks... plee3
  8.    #688  
    So, does anyone have any outstanding issues with Preware 1.2.6 testing?

I'm thinking of doing a public release soon, so the wider population can benefit from blacklisting support.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So, does anyone have any outstanding issues with Preware 1.2.6 testing?

I'm thinking of doing a public release soon, so the wider population can benefit from blacklisting support.

-- Rod
    It has been all good since the initial build of v1.2

One question though, is there anything funny going on with the testing kernels for 1.4.5, they have suddenly started throwing up an error today when I load up Preware?

Pip
    I'm going to be looking for more stuff I want to black list to try and see where the upper limit is to cause a hit in performance. So far I have all but mobifusion blacklisted from my list in previous post. If nothing else I'll start looking for other ways to push the feature to the limit.

Errr..., sorry, no.

I just un-blacklisted Mobifusion; they have the maximum number of countries listed, and the language is "en"; I just looked at their web site - according to the FlagFox plug-in in FirFox, they are based in the US. ( Mobifusion :: Bringing Media to Mobile )

Must be some other reason why you can't see them.
    Really strange then. I also searched for the apps you listed in the app catalog and they turn up nothing as well. I wonder why I'm not able to see apps that I should be seeing or are these apps some how tied to a 1.4.5 version required?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  11.    #691  
    Preware 1.2.6 is released to the public feeds.

Changelog since 1.1.4 follows:

Remove most of the curl download progress messages from the ipkg log (this fixes a buffer overrun crash).
    Added Ask At Launch option to update preference.
    Added Blacklist support.
    German Translation updates.
    Fixed update banner problem.
    Fixed package with too many dependent packages problem.
    Added support for MinWebOSVersion, DeviceCompatibility and PreActionMessage package attributes.
    Enable the Install Package feature to also work for incorrectly formatted filenames.
    Robustified the Install Package feature - will now run post-install scripts for all correctly formatted filenames (packageid_version_arch.ipk).
    Added Install Package functionality, allowing installation of packages from URLs and local files.
    Moved Saved Package List from the main screen to the app menu.
    Added support for Kernel Modules.
    Use a gentler reboot procedure to allow open files to be flushed to disk.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm going to be looking for more stuff I want to black list to try and see where the upper limit is to cause a hit in performance. So far I have all but mobifusion blacklisted from my list in previous post. If nothing else I'll start looking for other ways to push the feature to the limit.

Really strange then. I also searched for the apps you listed in the app catalog and they turn up nothing as well. I wonder why I'm not able to see apps that I should be seeing or are these apps some how tied to a 1.4.5 version required?
    I didn't think to search by app name in preware, it appears mobifusion's apps are in the palm web feed which explains why they don't show up in the app catalog when searching for the developer by name.
    I just took another look - no OS version mentioned; however, the feed is Palm Web; have you activated that in PreWare?
    I just took another look - no OS version mentioned; however, the feed is Palm Web; have you activated that in PreWare?
    Sure do, I discovered that after making my post. They don't have many apps so I left them off the blacklist for now. I haven't seen any others mentioned than the ones I listed so I haven't added any more. I'm going to make up stuff to filter large quantities of apps to push the feature to it's limits this evening. Will be reporting back after.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I am trying to install Preware from the quickinstall. It says that the package org.webosinternals.preware is unavailable. It keeps saying that it isn't available and to try an ipkg update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenuendo View Post
    I am trying to install Preware from the quickinstall. It says that the package org.webosinternals.preware is unavailable. It keeps saying that it isn't available and to try an ipkg update.
    Use the Preware standalone installer. Download it and find the instructions on the WebOS internals web site.

There appears to be a problem with the web site now, but it will be back up. That may be your problem. But you can Google what I suggested above when it is up.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Use the Preware standalone installer. Download it and find the instructions on the WebOS internals web site.

There appears to be a problem with the web site now, but it will be back up. That may be your problem. But you can Google what I suggested above when it is up.
    Oh wow....it worked magic. Thanks.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showpos...2&postcount=17

I noted in my most recent listing and trying different blacklistings for maintainers that "Pocket Zebra" for some reason blacklisted removes (3) one less than shows up in the app catalog (4). If just "Zebra" is used it removes (5) one less than show up if you search "Zebra" (6) in the the app catalog. I have no idea why this happens when all the others appear to properly filter out all of the apps developed by the names added to the blacklist.

Blacklisting "A" removes 1867 apps in addition to the 918 or more apps already previously blacklisted. It doesn't appear to cause any lag loading the app list or when scrolling it fast. So it is my guess that we will end up having to blacklist many times more than that to potentially cause lag. But by then we will all probably have the next device(s) which probably means even more stuff would have to be blacklisted to impact on them. I certainly hope we don't arrive at a point where 1000s of apps have to be blacklisted.
    not sure if this has been found, but i found a bug in preware. just type video camera in the main page of preware and you get this

btw its version 1.2.6
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    not sure if this has been found, but i found a bug in preware. just type video camera in the main page of preware and you get this

btw its version 1.2.6
    No - there must be something wrong with your setup; on 1.2.6, "video camera" gets me one find - Video Camera Flashlight (v1.4.5-1 - Jason Robitaille)

Have you tried a Luna - or even Java - restart?