Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738394484 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That would be because the search function in Preware intentionally does not search the Maintainer field.

-- Rod

This pretty much explains my whole list I posted previously then. The app catalog searches the developers (maintainers) name as well as description and app name. Any chance preware can be modified to include (even if it is an on off option) to search maintainer? I know there have been a number of times I wanted to view all apps from a specific developer and the app catalog only covers part of the apps possible since developers could also have stuff in palm beta or palm web or maybe even homebrew in addition to the app catalog.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    The Palm App Catalog client uses your sister's ex-boyfriend's cat's birthday to determine what apps you see.

-- Rod
    Thanks, that explains a lot. I've been wondering what they used for a long time now...
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I upgraded to Preware 1.2.6 and have been unsuccessful in trying to backup the Saved Package List.

From App Menu > Saved Package List, I hit the update button. The screen updates with the current list, but in the notifications area, up pops the message "Preware: Error writing Saved Packages" (maybe more, but it's truncated at the edge of tbe screen.)

There is no IPKG log to send, since it's not in the menu in the scene.

Every time I delete an element in the Saved Package list I get the same error as well.

I've tried an uninstall, device reset, re-install of Preware over Terminus, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas on how to make it go away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I upgraded to Preware 1.2.6 and have been unsuccessful in trying to backup the Saved Package List.

From App Menu > Saved Package List, I hit the update button. The screen updates with the current list, but in the notifications area, up pops the message "Preware: Error writing Saved Packages" (maybe more, but it's truncated at the edge of tbe screen.)

Every time I delete an element in the Saved Package list I get the same error as well.

I've tried an uninstall, device reset, re-install of Preware over Terminus, but I still get the same error.

I recommend posting in the Preware thread.
    Rwhitby will give you the best advice.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I recommend posting in the Preware thread.
    Rwhitby will give you the best advice.
    Ummm, this is the Preware thread. Just sayin'.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Ummm, this is the Preware thread. Just sayin'.
    Haha, well it wasn't 2 hours before you posted
  7.    #667  

None at all, sorry.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Best I can come up with if it hasn't already been tried is uninstall preware, reboot the device, reinstall preware, reboot the device, open preware and try again. Perhaps some data somewhere got corrupted from an unknown exterior to preware situation.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Your on the public release. 1.2.5 is in testing.
    please explain how to get updated preware I have webos testing feed installed but I don't see it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles79 View Post
    please explain how to get updated preware I have webos testing feed installed but I don't see it?
    Please take the time to search the forums to understand the purpose of the testing feeds and the risks they run.
    Also take the time to understand what is expected of an alpha tester.
    If you are not happy with any of those things then I advise you wait for the features to make it into the public (stable) release.

Pip
    Please take the time to search the forums to understand the purpose of the testing feeds and the risks they run.
    Also take the time to understand what is expected of an alpha tester.
    If you are not happy with any of those things then I advise you wait for the features to make it into the public (stable) release.

Pip
    I understand it all I've ben using it I just can't seem to find the new preware in the kernels area(thanks for the concern)
    I understand it all I've ben using it I just can't seem to find the new preware in the kernels area(thanks for the concern)
    In the nicest way possible for you to see your own mistake:
    I don't think you understand some fundamentals. Please re-read the quoted reply multiple times until you understand what you are saying and doing wrong.

Pip
    In the nicest way possible for you to see your own mistake:
    I don't think you understand some fundamentals. Please re-read the quoted reply multiple times until you understand what you are saying and doing wrong.

Pip
    ok let me explain. Couple of weeks ago I started reading about the pre being overclocked got the uberkernel from preware then I heard about thunderchief took me a couple of days but figures out how to get the experimental feed from kernel then 2day I read in webosround up about the new version of preware in testing feeds so I added the testing feeds or at least I think I did but although I see it in preware I can't find preware update in feeds
    ok let me explain. Couple of weeks ago I started reading about the pre being overclocked got the uberkernel from preware then I heard about thunderchief took me a couple of days but figures out how to get the experimental feed from kernel then 2day I read in webosround up about the new version of preware in testing feeds so I added the testing feeds or at least I think I did but although I see it in preware I can't find preware update in feeds
    Then you are doing something wrong.
    I recommend that you delete the feeds you added, consult the wiki for the correct feeds and then re-install. It would also be good to re-read the warnings and what is expected of an alpha tester.
    Alternatively, you could just wait for the stable elements to make it through to the public release of Preware.
    Out of curiosity what are the new features in the Preware testing feeds that you are so desperate to get?

Pip
    1) Open Save/Restore
    2) Select Restore Application Data
    3) Select Preware
    4) Hit Restore

Move the zip files to and from the USB drive as you please to backup your saved data at any time and to designate which zip file should be restored.

If you want a paper list, type the following on the command line:

Code:
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed
    Anyone who can "write a FOR loop to plow through a flat file reinstalling it all" can type that to get the list in the first place.

If you want that list as a text file on your USB drive:

Code:
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed > /media/internal/luddite.txt

-- Rod
    Rod forgive me is this is considered a stupid question. I am learning more about Linux/Webos/Pre by reading this forum. I ran the command you have to get the list of apps on media internal and was going to ask could the same be done for patches but after I opened the file I saw the patches were included. Thanks! I forget sometimes the apps and patches I have installed when I doctor due to alpha testing or just plain jacking up the phone and with this list I can immediately go put back and put everything back on at one time.

My question now is, is there a way to make a shortcut on the pre that would allow you to run the command
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed > /media/internal/luddite.txt
    on a scheduled time frame?
    Then you are doing something wrong.
    I recommend that you delete the feeds you added, consult the wiki for the correct feeds and then re-install. It would also be good to re-read the warnings and what is expected of an alpha tester.
    Alternatively, you could just wait for the stable elements to make it through to the public release of Preware.
    Out of curiosity what are the new features in the Preware testing feeds that you are so desperate to get?

Pip
    not desperate by any means just knowing there is something and being able to have it now rather than later is intriguing something about being able to blaclist certain apps so you only see the ones ur interested in nuthin major but I keep getting error in the updating feeds screen
    not desperate by any means just knowing there is something and being able to have it now rather than later is intriguing something about being able to blaclist certain apps so you only see the ones ur interested in nuthin major but I keep getting error in the updating feeds screen
    I seriously recommend that you delete the tesing feed and just wait for the public release. The purpose of Alpha testing is not so people can get the latest and greatest, it is so that the devs and testers can combine to iron out any bugs to the new features being added.
    If you are not willing to take that serious and keep up with the thread and take the time to test then I see advantage for you downloading it.

Just my opinion though

Pip
    I seriously recommend that you delete the tesing feed and just wait for the public release. The purpose of Alpha testing is not so people can get the latest and greatest, it is so that the devs and testers can combine to iron out any bugs to the new features being added.
    If you are not willing to take that serious and keep up with the thread and take the time to test then I see advantage for you downloading it.

Just my opinion though

Pip
    I am gonna wait I actually wasn't against overclocking but I was against the testing feeds I just wanted see what it was like and I don't post much but I'm in these threads all day precentral is an app in my launcher so yes I take it very seriously thanks for taking the time to answer and help
    Results from adding my previously listed developers to blacklist:

App Catalog---Amount blacklist removed---developer
    139--247--AppBookShop
    080--082--Appible LLC
    152--352--Brighthouse Labs (140 came up this second time for app catalog may been error)
    091--093--Dijit
    ???--???--mobifusion inc (I didn't add this one since I can't verify what their apps are)
    001--052--Palmagent Inc (this one I remember seeing tons)
    038--042--tEarn Media
    036--036--Upward Mobility
    010--010--EHYP Productions

I left off the inc llc or portion after the first space for the preware filters. I'm not sure if that will make a difference. For example is it searching the phrase or each thing independently? Also looks like AppBookShop and Brighthouse Labs have more apps outside the app catalog as well considering the results. That's a lot of crap app spam. I'm not aware of any other developers that should be considered but I can add/check more if there is a list or thread going on this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    ???--???--mobifusion inc (I didn't add this one since I can't verify what their apps are)
    At least here in Germany, that's easily solved: with them not blocked, I just have to call up "Apps-All", then scroll down to "This Week", and there a lot of them are: "BarBack Cocktail Drinks", "#! Non Alcoholic Drinks", "Fat-Flush-On-The-Go", "Bible Bundle ASV". "Yoga-On-The-Go".

In between there are a number of apps by cellHigh, such as "cellBall: Ask a Republican", "... a Trekkie", "...the MovieBuff",...
    BLOCKED!

Edit:
    I just noticed that you can see the effects of any black listing right away - no need to update the feeds - as apparently those settings simply affect what's shown of the list your Pre received when you last updated.

This made a small test simple:

blocking "Inc" makes Mobifusion Inc. vanish, whereas blocking "ccccc Inc." has no effect on them; so, apparently whatever you type into the Black List is taken as one string, not as a collection of words - "Mobifusion Inc.." has no blocking effect.

...and of course, if you later want to find out how many apps are on your Black List, just call up PreWare's title screen, note the number of available packages, go to the Black List feature, add an extra character to a name, backswipe twice and watch the number change.
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 07/27/2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added facts