Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #561  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Right quick report.
    GSM Pre 1.4.1, Peware 1.2.0
    Was installing FMR from the ipk downloaded to /media/internal/downloads.
    However when it was installing, Preware hung on the disc continually spinning with 'ipkg install' under, after more than 20mins I closed Preware and rebooted. Even though Preware never finished installing, FMR appears to be installed and is fully working. Shall I try uninstalling and reinstalling from the same method?
    Yes please. All reports are more useful if we know whether it is repeatable or not.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes please. All reports are more useful if we know whether it is repeatable or not.

-- Rod
    I was not able to retest before I updated to 1.4.5 last night but I will test sometime today on 1.4.5. However I think it is repeatable as I installed fstab fix using the link to the ipk that you tweeted. And I had the same result again so closed Preware. What's the best way to see if it installed or not? I will do more testing later on when I'm back home.

Edit: Preware is reporting tha it has installed correctly. I will test and jump on the irc later.
    Edit: Pretty sure it didn't install correctly as wirc won't launch.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/15/2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have a feeling 1.2.0's new IPKG installer feature doesn't like spaces in directory names. I have a folder in my /media/internal called "Palm Pre Tethering" where I keep the Mobile Hotspot IPKG, and when I tried installing it I got this in my log:

Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin//curl --create-dirs --insecure --locaton --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk file:///media/internal/Palm Pre Tethering/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk 2>&1
    curl: (37) Couldn't open file /media/internal/Palm
    curl: (6) Could not resolve host: Pre (Domain name not found)
    curl: (6) Could not resolve host: Tethering (Domain name not found)
    I moved the IPKG to a folder with spaces, and the error did not occur. (It got stuck on the big spinner saying "Downloading / Installing SUCCESS", but that seems to be a separate issue.)
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Right quick report.
    GSM Pre 1.4.1, Peware 1.2.0
    Was installing FMR from the ipk downloaded to /media/internal/downloads.
    However when it was installing, Preware hung on the disc continually spinning with 'ipkg install' under, after more than 20mins I closed Preware and rebooted. Even though Preware never finished installing, FMR appears to be installed and is fully working. Shall I try uninstalling and reinstalling from the same method?
    Like I mentioned in my last comment, I had the same problem, but mine froze at "Downloading / Installing SUCCESS". I left it running, went into my launcher, and the program (Wireless Hotspot) was there. I ran it and it works perfectly fine, even though Preware is still spinning away as I type this. :-)

I installed Preware 1.2 after updating to WebOS 1.4.5 (Bell).
    Bell Palm Pre
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I'm wondering if it works with .patch files because wen I'm trying to install a .patch file, it shows

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I think the screen shot you posted answers your question. This feature is currently only for installing .ipk file types. You are trying to install a .patch file type so that error should be 'normal' or expected.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 07/15/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post

I think the screen shot you posted answers your question. This feature is currently only for installing .ipk file types. You are trying to install a .patch file type so that error should be 'normal' or expected.
    oh ok i didnt know that, thats for the info
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    I have a feeling 1.2.0's new IPKG installer feature doesn't like spaces in directory names. I have a folder in my /media/internal called "Palm Pre Tethering" where I keep the Mobile Hotspot IPKG, and when I tried installing it I got this in my log
    You know, I didn't even think to test this. Guess thats why we got the "testing feed." I may be able to fix this in the app by enclosing all the urls sent to the service in quotes, but the service may not like it (I believe it checks for "acceptable characters" which a quote is not.) So it would need to be done at the service level... Rod? I can't think of any reason not to just enclose all paths/urls in quotes.

I moved the IPKG to a folder with spaces, and the error did not occur. (It got stuck on the big spinner saying "Downloading / Installing SUCCESS", but that seems to be a separate issue.)
    I have yet to see a repeatable test case for getting stuck at the spinner. Any chance you can provide one? Are there any errors in /var/log/messages pertaining to preware when this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Maybe someone will change the service so we can install patch files this way. But for the time being, I'll add a regular expression to make sure the url/path ends in .ipk and tell the user if it doesn't.
  9.    #569  
    I have a feeling 1.2.0's new IPKG installer feature doesn't like spaces in directory names. I have a folder in my /media/internal called "Palm Pre Tethering" where I keep the Mobile Hotspot IPKG, and when I tried installing it I got this in my log:

#38 (ipkgservice cannot handle spaces in URLs) – Preware

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. NaS
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    working great! Tried from file,ftp & http! :smile Had a few problems in the beginning when downloading ipkg's from my pre but for some reason it wouldn't download the full ipkg which would cause the failed_install! Also tired the email and had no problems!(ofcourse I was limited to the size of the file I could send) also uploaded to zumo drive but I couldn't install from link but you can download then have to rename using internal after you download to your pre!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am getting this error in preware now.

Anyone had this problem?
    And the space bug fix has been pushed. (Expect it in the next release.)

Quote Originally Posted by NaS View Post
    also uploaded to zumo drive but I couldn't install from link but you can download then have to rename using internal after you download to your pre!
    Why did you have to rename it? (I have never used zumo drive.)

Quote Originally Posted by Partyman View Post
    I am getting this error in preware now.
    Anyone had this problem?
    I have never seen it. I don't even know what DOM Exception 11 is, haha. I can tell you it definitely has to do with the saved package list (Which I will probably be changing to be better in the near future.)

Have you tried simply re-installing preware? Be sure you remove it with an orange+tap on the icon in the launcher, then reinstall it.
    I wish Preware had a way to store the Installed Packages lists to a text/memo file. This way if all else failed I could manually reinstall all my packages from a list.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I wish Preware had a way to store the Installed Packages lists to a text/memo file. This way if all else failed I could manually reinstall all my packages from a list.

I wished for / suggested exactly this months ago for the *exact* reason you state. It'd be simple to write a FOR loop to plow through a flat file reinstalling it all.

The idea was over ruled / tossed aside.

M.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I have yet to see a repeatable test case for getting stuck at the spinner. Any chance you can provide one? Are there any errors in /var/log/messages pertaining to preware when this happens?
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this. I'm at work without a micro-USB cable. :-P But I will see if I can get it to happen again.
    Bell Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I wished for / suggested exactly this months ago for the *exact* reason you state. It'd be simple to write a FOR loop to plow through a flat file reinstalling it all.

The idea was over ruled / tossed aside.

M.
    I was confused the first time it came up and I'm still confused. With save/restore able to backup and restore the saved package list and preware having the install all for the saved package list, why is a text file of the list needed?
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I was confused the first time it came up and I'm still confused. With save/restore able to backup and restore the saved package list and preware having the install all for the saved package list, why is a text file of the list needed?

Here are my reasons:

1. Peace of mind
    2. I still like paper
    3. People could post their package lists for comparison or debugging
    4. When all else fails - have read multiple posts about people fragging their saved lists

If Save/Restore could do selective restores that would be a big help too.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  18.    #578  
    If Save/Restore could do selective restores that would be a big help too.
    1) Open Save/Restore
    2) Select Restore Application Data
    3) Select Preware
    4) Hit Restore

Move the zip files to and from the USB drive as you please to backup your saved data at any time and to designate which zip file should be restored.

If you want a paper list, type the following on the command line:

Code:
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed
    Anyone who can "write a FOR loop to plow through a flat file reinstalling it all" can type that to get the list in the first place.

If you want that list as a text file on your USB drive:

Code:
    ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed > /media/internal/luddite.txt

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post

Code:
    for PKG in $(cat my_packages) ; do ipkg -o/media/internal/aps install "$PKG" ; done
    That's why. No fuss. No SQL DB to go bad. One line. Easy.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    Any reason Preware can't be added to the Palm Apps Catalog? Would be great to be able to install it from there, after a doctoring or other reason, instead of having to hook up to a computer and going through the Webos Quick Install program. At least the Palm catalog app is always there even after other things get erased. Could be very helpful.
    +1

Also seems like it would make it easier for us noobs...