Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed the top free app for Palm's Hot Apps contest is the Weather Channel App. That is cool b/c it really is a good free App. But, I was thinking -- What if the Precentral Community got behind a WebOS Internals free app and put it in the top $100k spot? How much more could their team do with an extra $100k on hand?

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? Do they have a free app to target in the catalog?

Update based upon posts below:

First, when I first posted, I felt kind of guilty leaving out the other great Homebrew developers (e.g. Jason). But, we will need to get behind ONE app if this is going to have a chance of working. Maybe leaders of the Homebrew Community could unite for this project and perhaps submit the app under a shell corp designed to distribute the winnings equitably.

Second, submitting the App under the name "We Support Homebrew" is a great idea (mrloserpunk). This could also be a vehicle to send a clear message to HP.
    Last edited by PreJamison; 05/09/2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Update
    awesome idea. Do they have an app in the palm catalog that we could rally around?
    i did my part a loooooong time ago...
    This is honestly the biggest issue I have with the Palm HotApps conversation.

While I 100% understand Palm's decision and motivation to try and attract developers, the fact homebrew apps are inadmissible means homebrew independents like myself, and homebrew groups like WebOS-Internals have 0% chance of getting rewarded for our commitment to the platform.

The fact that companies like Brighthouse Labs are eligible, yet Preware or Internalz are not, it very unsettling to me.

That said, I have began making some App Catalog apps and I suggest homebrew devs do similar.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Seriously, Make the App "We appreciate Homebrew" and make it a RSS feed or something from precentrals homebrew section. I'm good for 5 downloads....(2 Pre's, a Pixi and some friends have Pre's)

Maybe to make sure it goes to the right "spot" do a 50-50 split with webos internals? IDK but your right, you both deserve more from palm....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Seriously, Make the App "We appreciate Homebrew" and make it a RSS feed or something from precentrals homebrew section. I'm good for 5 downloads....(2 Pre's, a Pixi and some friends have Pre's)

Maybe to make sure it goes to the right "spot" do a 50-50 split with webos internals? IDK but your right, you both deserve more from palm....
    +1. Can someone ping jason and ask if he or another dec can get an app in the catalog called 'i support homebbrew'?

there used to be one like that tryin to win the money for haiti relief (although I figured it was a hoax).
    in fact, there is an app that costs $999 in the catalog!

lets do it. We helped the Pre win the laptop magazine shootout, we can certainly pull this off!
    + 1

Jason Create an app " i support homebrew" and im good for 2 downloads,

plus 2 friends of mine are for sure too!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    i think this is an awesome idea, and i can contribute 3 downloads
    I am in all the way!!! Please keep us updated if Jason or one of the other homebrews guys (or gals) can make this app. I will certainly do my part and download it!
    that would be a great idea.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    That said, I have began making some App Catalog apps and I suggest homebrew devs do similar.
    I may get flack for this, but I think you should develop your Dropbox app' under a company name and submit it.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I may get flack for this, but I think you should develop your Dropbox app' under a company name and submit it.
    Uh, how, without file I/O support (until some 'future update' which will only allow /media/internal/ access)?
    I don't know if we could get the critical mass of people necessary to make any app added at this point enough downloads in time to make it the 100k winner.

I just had another idea though and created a thread for it... a WebOS Internals "Telethon". People who appreciate the hard work of the group would donate through the link I added to the first post of the thread. Then they would go back to the thread and post their donation and the cumulative total thus far. So far the thread has $25 donated... feel free to join in.

Telethon Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    I don't know if we could get the critical mass of people necessary to make any app added at this point enough downloads in time to make it the 100k winner.

I just had another idea though and created a thread for it... a WebOS Internals "Telethon".
    Personally I'm not a fan of that, mainly as I'm not a member of WebOS-Internals, lol But that's just my opinion and I'm sure WebOS-Internals has their own (especially being their subforum, heh). I'll try contacting the people @ WebOS-Internals about the possability of a basic App Catalog app to support the whole homebrew developer community and how it could best be accomplished.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/09/2010 at 12:39 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I personally have 4 Pre's, and would be in for all of them. Not to mention I have friends that are in for the cause. What could it hurt getting in now and making a run for it.
    I was a proud supporter of Palm, HP
    WebOS running on the Palm Pre, Pixi, and now the TouchPad.

Amazon =
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Personally I'm not a fan of that, mainly as I'm not a member of WebOS-Internals, lol But that's just my opinion and I'm sure WebOS-Internals has their own (especially being their subforum, heh). I'll try contacting the people @ WebOS-Internals about the possability of a basic App Catalog app to support the whole homebrew developer community and how it could best be accomplished.

You guys have my vote!

A special note though.. whilst I know you probably would have already thought of it... thought I might mention it again just in case!

Remember that if / when you submit your app, to submit it as a free app and available to "non-official" users of the Pre too!! (There's at least 125 of us ... check for the thread "World Cup of Unofficial Users)..

Otherwise, me and my fellow Aussies won't be able to add our votes!!!
    If WebOS Internals was somehow able to win $100K, I would be very happy to welcome you, Jason, as an honorary member of WebOS Internals to participate in any division of rewards amongst that group of developers. Developers of your calibre working on open source software for webOS are always welcome in WebOS Internals.

I personally don't know how a decision could be made about how such an amount could be equitably distributed and to whom (or on what) ... but that shouldn't stop anyone trying to create the circumstances where such a decision must be made

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/09/2010 at 07:56 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Uh, how, without file I/O support (until some 'future update' which will only allow /media/internal/ access)?
    I don't know about the inner workings. Just that there is now a Dropbox API and Jason is all over it.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Great idea.Telethon fine and creative also but there is something about getting also that $100k contribution from Palm for a hot app.I've sold a few pres to friends so I could certainly get them to download a web os internals or jason app as well.
    Think something should be submitted soon though so we could drum up support.
    ps did not know that JR was not part of web os team. When I plan next donation round, hopefully in June, will hit both.
    Big thanks to both for your great and creative work.
    I'd happily download an app along those lines to add my support! :-D
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast