Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    still looking for the best balance of battery life and speed. Seems to be a lot of choppiness with a lot of these settings.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfms View Post
    still looking for the best balance of battery life and speed. Seems to be a lot of choppiness with a lot of these settings.
    Well then you can just use the performance governor or userspace and set the speed to whatever you like without the scaling. Its a common misconception around here that these scaling apps save battery when often the gains in battery life are modest at best and sometimes worse. The act of scaling itself, bouncing the cpu speed around, drains the battery. Locking the cpu in at a certain speed will conserve more battery, even at 800MHz. but i prefer to scale so i dont shorten the life of the cpu as much.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Screenstate 500-720

800Mhz works for a while but will crash Luna if I go a little nuts
    with the multitasking, while 720 is stable. My standby battery life
    was totally unaffected by the 800Mhz kernel, and I get up to 60 hours
    on standby (have done it many times) whether I'm at 500, 720 or 800Mhz..

The main problem I found with *all* of the other scaling options including
    the most conservative settings is that radio apps like Hibiki, net2streams..
    etc.. all push the CPU to 800Mhz with proportional increase in battery
    drain, even when the screen is off, and we know they run just fine at
    500Mhz. Previous to the screenstate profile I had to manually force the
    CPU to 500Mhz when streaming audio. Now I just fire it up, and turn the
    screen off, and get normal battery drain.

ian
    performance 500-800 works perfect. is nobody else using this?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sincityk9 View Post
    I dont think the performance governor allows you to scale. It just sets it at your max and stays there. which is probably the best for performance and batter life, as unixpsycho has mentioned in a another thread. I prefer to scale so i do not reduce the life of the cpu as much. waiting on the screenstate setting to be able to go down to 125 or 250. that would be the best for me i think, but i am getting a similar effect with the conservative governor.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    giving the performance 500-720 a shot. Thanks for all the insight everybody!
    JuanitaM likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I can't change mine everytime I try to change it my Pre freezes and I have to remove the battery. So I'm stuck in userstate.
    my pre was doing this. What you have to do is in Userstate set the min to 500Mhz and the max to 800Mhz(every set it even though it is at the states already or it wont stick when you switch to another setting.) now switch to conservative and the min and max should stay at 500 and 800. then click apply setting and you should be fine. The prob is your pre cant handle under 500Mhz so you have to make sure it doesnt when you switch settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    Well then you can just use the performance governor or userspace and set the speed to whatever you like without the scaling. Its a common misconception around here that these scaling apps save battery when often the gains in battery life are modest at best and sometimes worse. The act of scaling itself, bouncing the cpu speed around, drains the battery. Locking the cpu in at a certain speed will conserve more battery, even at 800MHz. but i prefer to scale so i dont shorten the life of the cpu as much.
    my wife's stock pre+ is getting "userspace 500-800-800" ....we'll see if there is any battery life savings. her battery life is horrible with no patches or battery life tips applied, basically out of the box. I go behind her and keep wifi on while in the house.....i think the battery savings will be minimal with any overclocking. functional battery tips (and a bigger battery) should help her most.
    I am using the conservative governor.

Min Freq: 500 MHz
    Max Freq: 800 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 1 second
    Sampling Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 80%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: 0
    Freq Step: 5%
    Last edited by PJaE00; 05/10/2010 at 07:22 PM.
    I uninstalled the old 800mhz (the one that came out right before last update) and also CPU scaler (free) for the 3rd gen UberKernel. I have not found any settings that do not drain my battery. My old set up seemed better. This new set up has so many more options I am hoping to find one that works.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sincityk9 View Post
    The speed was great on this setting, but the battery life was about the same. I like the new update of Govnah that allows you to save profiles now.
    Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus 1.4.5
    UberKernal 1.0 GHz
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Kernel: Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16

Govnah: 0.25

Governor: conservative

Governor settings:

MinFreq: 500 MHz
    MaxFreq: 720 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 1 Second
    Sampling Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 35%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    FreqStep: 10%

Results:
    Seems to be snappier, quicker app loads, haven't seen any too many cards errors (used to get that from time to time on 3D games). Launcher is smooth.

Did have a problem with getting calls briefly, but not sure whether that is at all related.

Also had a problem with 1.4.1-15 where the bottom right corner of my screen become unresponsive to touch. Uninstalled then reinstalled Kernel and problem was gone.

CPU Temp generally seems to stay between 29-39c during normal use (calls, browsing, et al)

CPU Temp seems to be between 40-45c on 3D games such as NFSU and Super KO

Never used Battery Monitor prior to installing Kernel, so can only speak subjectively, but battery life seems about the same.
    I'm running freq step @ 20%, otherwise my stats are identical. I haven't seen an improvement in battery usage though, actually it me be worse.

One thing I know, I can't set MInFReq less than 500 otherwise my Pre freezes up and I have to pull the battery.
    is there a website where there's a walkthrough of this app with all the different govenors?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfms View Post
    The speed was great on this setting, but the battery life was about the same. I like the new update of Govnah that allows you to save profiles now.
    i'm likin it...
    switched both our pre+ to screenstate 500/720. Little better temps, little diff in perf...
    I've become really happy with conservative:
    Max Freq: 720
    Freq Step: 100

all others default
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I've switched to Userstate-500/800/800 per recommendation of some previous posts and have had much better results than with Screenstate.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hey, i've just switched to userspace 500/800/800 and will see how it goes.

tell me, is doing this the same as just installing an 800 kernel?

because if so, i'd rather just install an 800 or 700 kernel and leave it at that, without having to have an app to do it. i get very obsessive about checking that it still has the settings. it was much easier when i just had the 600 kernel as i knew it was always there, but it's not as fast as 800!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    FAQ states that temp is not monitored when app is closed.
    Does closing the app stop the scaling?

FAQ states that scaling will not stick on reset.
    Does scaling begin as soon as the app opens after a reset?

(or do you have to "tell" it to start scaling. I noticed as soon as I opened it after a reset that my last profile was up and that scaling was registering at 800)
    Screenstate 500-800 Mhz
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast