Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 133
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka6sox View Post
    I'm willing to log testing reports for uberkernel and Govnah app. I'm trying to create a comprehensive standardized list so we can track issues and see what needs fixing and what works well.

    I can put them up in a spreadsheet on the webos-internals git server and aggregate to the wiki.

    I'd appreciate any help with this I could get.
    ka6sox is a founding member of the WebOS Internals team. He's our chief sysadmin, and is the person responsible for the near 100% uptime that we all enjoy from webos-internals.org and preware.org, as well as being the person who found the first version of the internal CPU temperature patch which eventually ended up (with some modifications by myself) in the first release of the Uber-Kernel.

    I fully encourage participation in this survey.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #22  
    Since screenstate became available; I have been running the uberkernal at:

    Screenstate:
    Min = 500 MHz
    Max = 600 MHz

    I was initially running max @ 720 but I am trying to find a "happy" place when battery life and performance match nicely. I am not sure that 500_600 is the way either. On a 1.5 hour train ride, just surfing, texting and d/l themes, battery went from 100% to under 60% though temps stayed in the 42C - 47C range.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka6sox View Post
    I'm willing to log testing reports for uberkernel and Govnah app. I'm trying to create a comprehensive standardized list so we can track issues and see what needs fixing and what works well
    What a great idea. Do you plan to parse the information from this and other forum threads? Or is there a preferred method of relaying that info directly to you?
  4. ka6sox's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    What a great idea. Do you plan to parse the information from this and other forum threads? Or is there a preferred method of relaying that info directly to you?
    I guess I'll have to come up with a better method but for now put them here in the order I wrote them down.

    Thanks,

    ka6sox
  5. #25  
    Whats the BEST setting for battery life and performance. Screenstate seemed to drain my battery faster. I am currently trying:

    Conservative
    Min: 500 MHz
    Max: 720 MHz
    Sampling rate: 1 second
    Sampling down factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 80%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    Freq Step: 5%
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashdude1971 View Post
    Whats the BEST setting for battery life and performance.
    As far as we know, there is no BEST setting.

    Every device operates slightly differently outside of the guaranteed specification limits, and each person has different usage patterns.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #27  
    I have improved my battery life on userspace 500_800_800 if you would like to try that.
  8. #28  
    Thank you
  9. #29  
    Currently I'm trying somethine different. Performance max 600 and min550.
    Last edited by vza33; 05/06/2010 at 11:00 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  10.    #30  
    Kernel: Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16

    Govnah: 0.25

    Governor: conservative

    Governor settings:

    MinFreq: 500 MHz
    MaxFreq: 720 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 1 Second
    Sampling Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 35%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    FreqStep: 10%

    Results:
    Seems to be snappier, quicker app loads, haven't seen any too many cards errors (used to get that from time to time on 3D games). Launcher is smooth.

    Did have a problem with getting calls briefly, but not sure whether that is at all related.

    Also had a problem with 1.4.1-15 where the bottom right corner of my screen become unresponsive to touch. Uninstalled then reinstalled Kernel and problem was gone.

    CPU Temp generally seems to stay between 29-39c during normal use (calls, browsing, et al)

    CPU Temp seems to be between 40-45c on 3D games such as NFSU and Super KO

    Never used Battery Monitor prior to installing Kernel, so can only speak subjectively, but battery life seems about the same.
  11. #31  
    I'm trying 250-800 Conservative. But what is the FreStep actually do? I'm leaving it at the default 5%, but if I change it to 10% how would that help me out?
  12. #32  
    I'm using the screenstate with 600-800. Works fabulously well with the most recent version of the uberkernel.
  13. ka6sox's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Kernel: Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16

    Govnah: 0.25

    Governor: conservative

    Governor settings:

    MinFreq: 500 MHz
    MaxFreq: 720 MHz
    Sampling Rate: 1 Second
    Sampling Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 35%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    FreqStep: 10%

    Results:
    Seems to be snappier, quicker app loads, haven't seen any too many cards errors (used to get that from time to time on 3D games). Launcher is smooth.

    Did have a problem with getting calls briefly, but not sure whether that is at all related.

    Also had a problem with 1.4.1-15 where the bottom right corner of my screen become unresponsive to touch. Uninstalled then reinstalled Kernel and problem was gone.

    CPU Temp generally seems to stay between 29-39c during normal use (calls, browsing, et al)

    CPU Temp seems to be between 40-45c on 3D games such as NFSU and Super KO

    Never used Battery Monitor prior to installing Kernel, so can only speak subjectively, but battery life seems about the same.


    Nice Report...

    Thanks!

    ka6sox
  14. #34  
    Screenstate
    Min: 250 (so 500)
    Max: 800
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
  15. giftedmd's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #35  
    Been fiddling with this for a few days. Trying to get the best combination of performance, battery life and hopefully not decreasing the life of the cpu too much. Using verizon Pre Plus. Have no problem with lock ups when going down to 125MHz. Wanted settings that would allow me throttle up to 800MHz from idle quickly, not throttle down too quickly when not actively doing something on the phone for a few seconds to reduce lag, and stay down mostly at 125-250MHz when idle to save battery life.

    Conservative
    Min 125
    Max 800
    Sampling Rate 0.5 seconds
    up threshold 80%
    down threshold 5%
    freq step 20%
    Last edited by rlsroufe; 05/08/2010 at 12:31 AM.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    Been fiddling with this for a few days. Trying to get the best combination of performance, battery life and hopefully not decreasing the life of the cpu too much. Using verizon Pre Plus. Have no problem with lock ups when going down to 125MHz. Wanted settings that would allow me throttle up to 800MHz from idle quickly, not throttle down too quickly when not actively doing something on the phone for a few seconds to reduce lag, and stay down mostly at 125-250MHz when idle to save battery life.

    Conservative
    Min 125
    Max 800
    Sampling Rate 0.5 seconds
    up threshold 80%
    down threshold 5%
    freq step 20%
    Have you seen a real increase in battery life as a result?
  17. giftedmd's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Have you seen a real increase in battery life as a result?
    My previous settings were still a little too choppy laggy and choppy for me, especially when scrolling so changed to:
    Conservative
    Min 125
    Max 800
    Sampling Rate 1.5 seconds
    up threshold 80%
    down threshold 10%
    ignore nice load false
    freq step 30%

    When completely idle, the cpu stays around 250MHz which is fine. Things come back to life and ramp up to 800MHz very quickly from idle and stay there for a few seconds for minimal lag. Need more testing but, battery drain so far with 3 email accounts set to as arrive, and EVDO on, wifi off, gps off is about 2%/hr. Usually around 3-4% normally. This jumps up sharply with any kind of use however.
    Last edited by rlsroufe; 05/09/2010 at 12:59 PM.
  18. #38  
    800/800 works flawlessly for me
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  19. giftedmd's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    My previous settings were still a little too choppy laggy and choppy for me, especially when scrolling so changed to:
    Conservative
    Min 125
    Max 800
    Sampling Rate 1.5 seconds
    up threshold 50%
    down threshold 10%
    ignore nice load false
    freq step 40%

    When completely idle, the cpu stays around 250MHz which is fine. Things come back to life and ramp up to 800MHz very quickly from idle and stay there for a few seconds for minimal lag. Need more testing but, battery drain so far with 3 email accounts set to as arrive, and EVDO on, wifi off, gps off is about 2%/hr. Usually around 3-4% normally. This jumps up sharply with any kind of use however.
    Update: After a 4 hour idle battery drain test it is 1.4% per hour idle with 3G on, wifi off, gps off, bluetooth off.
    Thanks to the webos internals team for such a robust and customizable app! I love being able to tinker with my settings to find out what works best for me and get just what i need out of this phone.
  20. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #40  
    So far I'm looking for comparable or better battery life to stock, but snappier overall phone. I've been finding this by running this profile:

    Conservative
    Min Freq: 500 MHz
    Max Freq: 720 MHz (I stay here and don't use 800 as my Pre is 4 day after launch; I want a little less risk)
    Sampling Rate: 0.7 sec
    Sampling Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 60%
    Down Threshold: 20%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    Freq Step: 10%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions