1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've been running Uberkernel on my Pre for about 4 days. I installed Uberkernel+Govnah. All was good until sometime in the middle of the night last night.

I went to bed at approximately midnight last night. My pre was @ ~ 80% battery, and I did not plug it in.

I woke up around 5 am, for work. I expected my Pre to still be on, but with 30-40% battery ( a normal usage at night for me). Instead, it was off. Strange; so I connected it to charge while I got ready for work. I didn't notice at the time, but there was no feed back that it was starting to charge (no battery icon, no USB with a question mark, nothing). 45 minutes later, when I left for work; still nothing! I held the power button, did the mute-switch reset; nothing. Pulled the battery, put it back, nothing. Tried the WebOS Doctor USB mode (Pull battery, hold volume up, replace battery, connect USB cable); nothing.

No Palm Logo, no Backlight, no signs of life at all.

I've been playing with it for awhile now, and have had no success at all. This was the first sign of instability I had; no crashes, no random resets. A few "too many cards open" errors, but that's normal on WebOS.

It's currently connected via cable (not touchstone) to a known good Palm charger (my wife has a Pre, too). I've also tried switching the batteries between my Pre and hers; no good, either.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'm going to Sprint tomorrow to see if they will help me some sort of replacement.

Just a grain of salt; I can't imagine that anything else resulted in my Pre bricking, as it happened while it was sitting on a shelf in a cool room. It was fast while it lasted, but I must be the unlucky 1% that has an early hardware failure.
    i dont know of anyone that has had their phone go out like that and i use spk and have had no issues with a 6/6/09 pre
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by samiran View Post
    Hi all,

I've been running Uberkernel on my Pre for about 4 days. I installed Uberkernel+Govnah. All was good until sometime in the middle of the night last night.

I went to bed at approximately midnight last night. My pre was @ ~ 80% battery, and I did not plug it in.

I woke up around 5 am, for work. I expected my Pre to still be on, but with 30-40% battery ( a normal usage at night for me). Instead, it was off. Strange; so I connected it to charge while I got ready for work. I didn't notice at the time, but there was no feed back that it was starting to charge (no battery icon, no USB with a question mark, nothing). 45 minutes later, when I left for work; still nothing! I held the power button, did the mute-switch reset; nothing. Pulled the battery, put it back, nothing. Tried the WebOS Doctor USB mode (Pull battery, hold volume up, replace battery, connect USB cable); nothing.

No Palm Logo, no Backlight, no signs of life at all.

I've been playing with it for awhile now, and have had no success at all. This was the first sign of instability I had; no crashes, no random resets. A few "too many cards open" errors, but that's normal on WebOS.

It's currently connected via cable (not touchstone) to a known good Palm charger (my wife has a Pre, too). I've also tried switching the batteries between my Pre and hers; no good, either.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'm going to Sprint tomorrow to see if they will help me some sort of replacement.

Just a grain of salt; I can't imagine that anything else resulted in my Pre bricking, as it happened while it was sitting on a shelf in a cool room. It was fast while it lasted, but I must be the unlucky 1% that has an early hardware failure.
    Sorry to hear about your phone. That definitely sucks, no matter what caused it.

Just out of curiosity, what were your overclocking settings?
  4.    #4  
    I was using the conservative governor, 250-800. I don't remember the exact threshold settings, but I know that I had set them conservatively (I think I used 90% for the upper threshold, and 30% for the lower one).

Oh, and thanks for the consolation ;-) I was really cranky about it before, but I think I've gotten over it :-)

Just wanted to get the word out. I can't say that the overclock did brick my pre, and I certainly don't blame the WebOS Internals team. Just wanted to reinforce to people that the big red warnings they put all over the overclocked patches/kernel do, sometimes (rarely) result in dead phones.
    Are you brave enough to take it to a repair center and have it checked?
  6.    #6  
    I intend to Do you mean a Corporate Sprint Store, or a Sprint Repair place?

I have corporate store's near me that say they do repairs, but the only Sprint Repair center I am aware of closed down a few years ago. They do have repair techs at the store, though.

I won't be that ****ed if I have to pay a fee to get it replaced, but honestly, I would be shocked if they checked it out and indicated that I violated the warranty. Either way, I need a phone, so I have to bite the bullet

Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Are you brave enough to take it to a repair center and have it checked?
    Quote Originally Posted by samiran View Post
    I intend to Do you mean a Corporate Sprint Store, or a Sprint Repair place?

I have corporate store's near me that say they do repairs, but the only Sprint Repair center I am aware of closed down a few years ago. They do have repair techs at the store, though.

I won't be that ****ed if I have to pay a fee to get it replaced, but honestly, I would be shocked if they checked it out and indicated that I violated the warranty. Either way, I need a phone, so I have to bite the bullet
    Yeah, the big repair centers are few and far between. I might suggest calling Palm...but then again maybe not. The repair techs in the store are hit and miss. I don't particularly like to service I have received at my local store. You should update here afterwards and let us know after whomever you take it to looks at it. If you have insurance, you probably will get it replaced no problem. But if not, it might be worth considering donating it to webosinternals. I'm certain they would like to look at it.
  8.    #8  
    We'll see, after I go to the Sprint Store.

I have a feeling they will offer to replace it, but they may either charge me $130 upfront, or put a $130 charge on my bill after they send mine back for repair.

I can't imagine that the Store Repair Techs do anything other than push the power button when faced with a Pre that doesn't do anything. They'll probably try a few battery pulls, maybe a different battery, maybe a couple of chargers. *shrug*

If not, whom do I donate it to? That is, unless anyone has any bright ideas? It's very, very dead looking. I just verified that it does not charge the battery at all (left it plugged into the wall charger, and then swapped batteries with my wife's phone.)

Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Yeah, the big repair centers are few and far between. I might suggest calling Palm...but then again maybe not. The repair techs in the store are hit and miss. I don't particularly like to service I have received at my local store. You should update here afterwards and let us know after whomever you take it to looks at it. If you have insurance, you probably will get it replaced no problem. But if not, it might be worth considering donating it to webosinternals. I'm certain they would like to look at it.
    No charge at all? That's interesting.

DM rwhitby about donating it. I know that he recently received a dead Sprint pre that they were hacking the hardware on. Since yours has been overclocked for a while, they may show some interest in that aspect of it. I can't really speak for them, but it might be worthwhile to ask.
    @samiran

That just sucks!

Question: Do you recall if Govnah was running and open as a card?
  11.    #11  
    I think, but am not sure, that I closed everything before I went to bed. I like to wake up with nothing running

Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    @samiran

That just sucks!

Question: Do you recall if Govnah was running and open as a card?
    My phone has just done the same thing....bummed. I have had the 800mhz ipk installed for several months now and I too experienced no warning whatsoever. I woke up and it was dead, plugged in to charge with no battery showing up....i have to take it to Sprint repair and i seriously doubt that they will check, pretty sure anyway. Simiran didnt leave a post with what happened so I have no idea if they'll give me yet another (this will be my sixth in a year). They have offered to exchange the Pre for Samsung Moment...don't think i want to do that tho.
    Has anyone found a way to get this working again? Havent come across any threads other than this one...help? help?
    pull the battey, then charge it for about 5 minutes and try again...
    tried that, several times at different intervals, still dead. So sad. thanks tho...anyone else?

Also, i just noticed...it feels warm several hours after i stopped charging...what's that about?

Holy Moly...so just after i wrote that edit...I removed the battery and tried once more and wouldnt you know...it started. Wonder what the problem is and if it will continue to happen...should i remove the 800 patch? Who knows if that has anything to do with the issue? i'm real happy right about now to not have to go to Sprint for the hundredth time tomorrow...phew.
    Last edited by holley2583; 08/15/2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    tried that, several times at different intervals, still dead. So sad. thanks tho...anyone else?

Also, i just noticed...it feels warm several hours after i stopped charging...what's that about?

Holy Moly...so just after i wrote that edit...I removed the battery and tried once more and wouldnt you know...it started. Wonder what the problem is and if it will continue to happen...should i remove the 800 patch? Who knows if that has anything to do with the issue? i'm real happy right about now to not have to go to Sprint for the hundredth time tomorrow...phew.
    I have a feeling it's not dead. Try this:
    1.) take out your battery
    2.) plug your Pre into a WALL OUTLET
    3.) an icon should appear
    4.) press the volume rocker UP, and keep pressing
    5.) while keeping the 'volume up' pressed, pull out the cable from the wall charger and plug it into your computer
    6.) now insert the battery. Your pre should now boot into recovery mode and you can use your various doctors.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation