1.    #1  
    Hello I'm new to WebOS-Developement and I wanna develope a patch and App which will show the sent SMS in a special range of time.
    I do not know how to write a patch in order to change some code in the Palm-Messanger for SMS. Can anybody help me or send me a tutorial for writing a patch?

(Or does someone know if there is already an App which shows the sent SMS and call-time?)
    Easiest way to make a patch is to modify the file you want in a text editor and then use Jason's "Unified Diff Creator", super easy.

There are a few patch options to show the Sent/Received times in messaging, and dbsooner also made a patch where you can see the Call Durations in the call log. I believe that's what you're looking for. You can find these Patches in either Preware or webOS QI, hope that helps some.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Easiest way to make a patch is to modify the file you want in a text editor and then use Jason's "Unified Diff Creator", super easy.

There are a few patch options to show the Sent/Received times in messaging, and dbsooner also made a patch where you can see the Call Durations in the call log. I believe that's what you're looking for. You can find these Patches in either Preware or webOS QI, hope that helps some.

could this process be used to make patches for the changes to css files for theming?

a example, in order to get my ZomPre dial pad the way I want, I have to make changes to the dialpad.css file. I want to distribute those changes and I understand a patch is my only option...

Never mind I see how it works, it will accomplish what I want.... Awesome! Thanks didn't know this existed!!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by telgon View Post
    I do not know how to write a patch in order to change some code in the Palm-Messanger for SMS. Can anybody help me or send me a tutorial for writing a patch?
    Easiest way to create a patch is to download a webOSDoctor and extract the ROM files from it.

Copy the file you want to change, and edit it with any kind of text editor.

Use my app, Unified Diff Creator, to create a patch from the original and modified file.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    could this process be used to make patches for the changes to css files for theming?
    Yepper
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all for the help. I'll give it a try.

@mjkjr: I need an App which will show me how many minutes I've already phoned and how many SMS I sent because I only have a volume-mobiletarif. Setting up the Free-Minutes and Free-SMS would be nice to have an overview of the used Amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by telgon View Post
    Thank you all for the help. I'll give it a try.

@mjkjr: I need an App which will show me how many minutes I've already phoned and how many SMS I sent because I only have a volume-mobiletarif. Setting up the Free-Minutes and Free-SMS would be nice to have an overview of the used Amount.
    This sounds like what you may be looking for, but I'm not sure. Check out 'MinStat' in Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Easiest way to create a patch is to download a webOSDoctor and extract the ROM files from it.
    Jason,

I have to doctor downloaded and extracted files but I don't know which would be the file I need to start with to modify the photo app. Can you give me a point in the right direction, perhaps I have extracted the wrong files.
    Clarence -
  9.    #9  
    @mjkjr: Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

Copy the file you want to change, and edit it with any kind of text editor.

Use my app, Unified Diff Creator, to create a patch from the original and modified file.
    is there a video tutorial about all this? im not following for some reason
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    is there a video tutorial about all this? im not following for some reason
    I am in the same boat. I want to change a text file to a patch file for webos but could not figure it out. Any help?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by na_tra View Post
    I am in the same boat. I want to change a text file to a patch file for webos but could not figure it out. Any help?

TIA
    You don't change a text file to a patch file. You make alterations to a copy of your textfile to achieve the required changes in program behaviour. You then supply the name of the original file and the name of the modified file as parameters to Jason's Unified Diff Creator program, and it produces the patch file. The patch file contains the necessary information to convert the original file to the modified file.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You don't change a text file to a patch file. You make alterations to a copy of your textfile to achieve the required changes in program behaviour. You then supply the name of the original file and the name of the modified file as parameters to Jason's Unified Diff Creator program, and it produces the patch file. The patch file contains the necessary information to convert the original file to the modified file.
    Thanks. I think I got it just before your reply but not sure if I was correct. Your message confirmed that I was doing it right.

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    This sounds like what you may be looking for, but I'm not sure. Check out 'MinStat' in Preware.
    I think this app is exactly what i need, but I can't find it in preware. Are there any sources i could work with?
    Quote Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
    I think this app is exactly what i need, but I can't find it in preware. Are there any sources i could work with?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...7-minstat.html

The Source for MinStat and its service is publicly available in the webos-internals git-repo, feel free to use it, extend it or port it to newer webOS releases :-)
    Minstat: http://git.webos-internals.org/applications/minstat/

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Please help. I have downloaded the webos doctor now how do I locate the files I want to patch. I want to locate the files for the browser, in particular font size. Is there a step by step quide to patch creation anywhere? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Please help. I have downloaded the webos doctor now how do I locate the files I want to patch. I want to locate the files for the browser, in particular font size. Is there a step by step quide to patch creation anywhere? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    You will find the browser code in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.browser/ .

To produce a patch
    1. Save the original file. eg Save As and add a 1 to the name.
    2. Edit the saved file(s) to achieve the desired changes to the program operation.
    3. Run Jason's Unified Diff Creator.
    • Supply as parameters...
      • Original filename

• Modified filename

• on device folder where the file resides

Click on Create Patch
      Your patch file is created (extension .patch)

Individual patches can be concatenated into one patch file.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You will find the browser code in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.browser/ .

To produce a patch
    1. Save the original file. eg Save As and add a 1 to the name.
    2. Edit the saved file(s) to achieve the desired changes to the program operation.
    3. Run Jason's Unified Diff Creator.
    • Supply as parameters...
      • Original filename

• Modified filename

• on device folder where the file resides

Click on Create Patch
      Your patch file is created (extension .patch)

Individual patches can be concatenated into one patch file.
    Thank you very much. I found it using internalz pro and emailed it to myself. Wish me luck
    @johncc

Great summary... Very helpful...

This thread should be a sticky... It would save us a lot of time looking on how to create a patch...

Or the OP should edit the first post so he includes your explanation...

Thanks on behalf of all the noobs who want to create a patch and don't know a bit...
    Glad to help, but the major thanks are due to Jason Robitaille, creator of UDC, for making the task so simple.