webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Govnah
Govnah
Like Tree14Likes

Old 01/15/2012, 09:15 PM   #1901 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
thanks, but i am not sure how that highlights why some people are (including myself, but before updating everything) able to keep all 4 as selectable profiles, but i can only have default, or UK's profiles.

i understand functionally my quest might not be relevant, and maybe that is why you suggested what you have, but this is a different issue - the inconsistencies between machines are worth the search on my end.
It's called "detritus". If they uninstall Govnah, reboot, then reinstall Govnah, they will end up with the same as you.

See https://github.com/webos-internals/g...lt-profiles.js for more information (note the kernels list for each profile, and realise that changes over time as the kernels change).

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 01/15/2012 at 09:24 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2012, 12:43 AM   #1902 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
"detritus"
-- Rod
my goodness i haven't seen or heard that word since i was a teenager in school, lol.

my dad is a retired high school honors/cp biology teacher with 35 years in. he'll get a kick out of your mention of it.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2012, 07:40 AM   #1903 (permalink)

Sorry for crosspostning this but wasnt sure it was related to Uberkernel, Govnah or both.

Im new tPad user and Installed Govnah and Uberkernel right after doctoring to 3.05 but ive been noticing a stutter when playing web-tv and youtube. It gets less when I change to low quality stream but still annoying. I reverted back to standard kernel and played same content and it runs smooth.

Comparing the CPU grahps the overclocked profile is fluctuating while the standard profile is a steady at full speed.

What could be causing this?

Last edited by Andreas; 02/12/2012 at 07:53 AM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2012, 04:18 PM   #1904 (permalink)

Hi,

I've been having some issues with Govnah no holding a profile (meaning I choose a profile but it won't keep it, instead switching to some unknown thing), so I uninstalled it, then re-installed it. Now it does hold a profile but I only have 3 profiles available: OnDemandTcl 1200, Screenstate3 1200, and UnberKernel Default. Previously I had maybe 6 or 8.

Where did they go, and how to I get them back? (I would like the screenstate-sensing 500/1000 one!)
Old 08/04/2012, 01:04 PM   #1905 (permalink)

Hi am not sure if this the the right place for this comment.
There is a bug on Govnah on the HP PRE3. Whenever Govnah is on in exhibition mode and a notification comes up, the bottom of the screen remains "dirty". I tlooks like the debris of the bottom of whatever application used to be on during the last notification

Is there any way for govnah to clean that up? Or is it a kernel/luna problem?
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 03:13 PM   #1906 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

does anybody uses UberKernel with Conservative-Governor and discovered the "ideal" parameters to get a good performance and battery life? I've already scrolled through 20-30 Pages of this thread without getting an answer to that question. I've experimented the entire day on my Pre- running 1.4.5 and the best I got is still not perfect and leads to infrequent breaks in MP3-Playback. Indeed I've found a reply at about page 55 which did not recommend to use one those governors, but I don't like the idea of using the Screenstate-Governor which keeps my CPU constantly at 800 MHz even if system would also get along with less.

Thanks in advance!

Don_Marco
Don_Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 03:32 PM   #1907 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Marco View Post
Hi Guys,

does anybody uses UberKernel with Conservative-Governor and discovered the "ideal" parameters to get a good performance and battery life? I've already scrolled through 20-30 Pages of this thread without getting an answer to that question. I've experimented the entire day on my Pre- running 1.4.5 and the best I got is still not perfect and leads to infrequent breaks in MP3-Playback. Indeed I've found a reply at about page 55 which did not recommend to use one those governors, but I don't like the idea of using the Screenstate-Governor which keeps my CPU constantly at 800 MHz even if system would also get along with less.

Thanks in advance!

Don_Marco
ondemandtcl has min/max levels as well as a screenoff level, isnt that more what you need then set a relatively high powersave bias?

saying that i use a semi-drastic conservative setup on my pre3, i have low freq 245mhz, max freq on 1ghz as even on games ive yet to see anything tax my pre3 at even the lower 1ghz. Ive devolted to min allowed lvls, any issues and just increase the value a notch.

up threshold 95%, down threshold 70%, sample rate 0.6.

these settings arent insta responsive fast but so far for me their ok, i can deal with lag/startup issues even if it bags me some battery. tbh i find it hard to test fairly or accuratley as i dont think a days use or lower is a decent test time, longer is needed and this only delays your test times and even then your changes may seem marginal or non existent, esp if your normal use is not identical per test period.

if in doubt stick to ondemandtcl and just devolt/lower max freq and ramp up powersavebias, remembering to apply/save new profile after every option change.

id also like to hear of any noticable good balanced setups tbh.
Old 01/22/2013, 07:01 PM   #1908 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
ondemandtcl has min/max levels as well as a screenoff level, isnt that more what you need then set a relatively high powersave bias?

saying that i use a semi-drastic conservative setup on my pre3, i have low freq 245mhz, max freq on 1ghz as even on games ive yet to see anything tax my pre3 at even the lower 1ghz. Ive devolted to min allowed lvls, any issues and just increase the value a notch.

up threshold 95%, down threshold 70%, sample rate 0.6.

these settings arent insta responsive fast but so far for me their ok, i can deal with lag/startup issues even if it bags me some battery. tbh i find it hard to test fairly or accuratley as i dont think a days use or lower is a decent test time, longer is needed and this only delays your test times and even then your changes may seem marginal or non existent, esp if your normal use is not identical per test period.

if in doubt stick to ondemandtcl and just devolt/lower max freq and ramp up powersavebias, remembering to apply/save new profile after every option change.

id also like to hear of any noticable good balanced setups tbh.
Sounds good but unfortunately there is no ondemandtcl governor on Pre- . I only got the ondemand governor without tcl which doesn't offer these options. Currently I'm using the following configuration on the conservative governor:

Min. Freq: 250MHz
Max. Freq: 800MHz
Sampling Rate: 0.8 Sec
Sampling Down Factor: 4
Up Threshold: 60%
Down Threshold: 20%
Freq Step: 10%

Not perfect but much better as my first configuration. It keeps the CPU at about 30C and reduces playback dropouts considerably.

I agree with you that every new configuration needs to be tested at least a day but meanwhile I got so many different configurations for conservative-governor as well as for ondemand-governor that it would take several weeks to test all of them thoroughly. The easiest way (I don't like to choose - choosing Screenstate 500/800) actually seems to be one of the best. It reduces playback-errors even more and increases systems' performance, but it also drains my battery even faster and heats the cpu up to 38C even if there's no excessive workload (just opening/closing some small apps).

Anyhow everything seemed to be much easier as I didn't know all of these options

Tomorrow I'll try your advice of choosing ondemand-governor with a high powersave-bias.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you up-to-date

Good Night
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 01/23/2013, 10:54 AM   #1909 (permalink)

I've tested the following configuration this morning for about half an hour:

Governor: Ondemand
Min. Freq: 500MHz
Max. Freq: 800MHz
Powersave Bias: 50

System's performance seems to be very good with this configuration because the ondemand governor is much faster than the conservative one, but battery drains very fast. I used it about half an hour for surfing the web via 3G and already that 30mins took 35%. The Palm Pixi with default governor only takes 10-15% for the same task at the same amount of time. Moreover its not possible to lower Min. Freq. below 500MHz. Otherwise some apps like open fire cause graphics glitches and games like SuperJump halt after a few seconds.
Old 01/23/2013, 12:00 PM   #1910 (permalink)

not sure about setting more suited to your specific phone then, my pre3 has no issues ramping down to 122mhz tho ive got its min on 245mhz atm or id occasionally miss some of my alarms or mode switcher mode would trigger late or not at all, running such a high min is likely 1 of your issues.

also seems you seem to have less options on your phone than my pre3 with uberkernel so again not sure what you can and cant use, i can only suggest what i have access too.

maybe someone with your exact phone can suggest a better solution.

this issue was for your pre minus?. Any others out there who can help?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0