Page 81 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1910
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Not possible, as that would break it for people who have a previous version of that kernel installed where those values were in jiffies, not seconds.

Unfortunately, some coordination between kernel changes and Govnah has been missing here, and you're suffering as a result.

-- Rod
    Default in the new testing kernels is 30, and in most cases the original default saved in a profile will be silently ignored. This user wants the current min in Govnah of 90 decreased to 1 or so.

Unfortunately, saving parameters in jiffies will break newer kernels where the HZ isn't the standard.

As mentioned in another thread, I suck. I change parameters too quickly based on features added and some things just don't work. Trying to finalize something in a testing kernel with users providing feedback is what I was expecting. Most users take my kernels as production kernels, most unfortunate and fallacious. Stated a different way; Users using a testing kernel should *expect* their profiles to be hosed in some releases and report back, which I have stated a few times in my threads to "...delete the profiles". So having Govnah updated everyday with changes that might go away is futile.

<...places himself on a stake to be stoned and flogged by the public...>
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Default in the new testing kernels is 30, and in most cases the original default saved in a profile will be silently ignored. This user wants the current min in Govnah of 90 decreased to 1 or so.
    What should the set of values in the pop-up menu be for those two parameters (charger and vdemand poll rates)?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    What should the set of values in the pop-up menu be for those two parameters (charger and vdemand poll rates)?

-- Rod
    vdemand poll: 100 - 1500
    Charger poll: 1 - 300 (assuming someone wants to wait 5 mins for polling)
    Live free or DIE!
    I change parameters too quickly based on features added and some things just don't work. Trying to finalize something in a testing kernel with users providing feedback is what I was expecting. Most users take my kernels as production kernels, most unfortunate and fallacious. Stated a different way; Users using a testing kernel should *expect* their profiles to be hosed in some releases and report back, which I have stated a few times in my threads to "...delete the profiles". So having Govnah updated everyday with changes that might go away is futile.
    BTW, I agree that anyone running testing kernels should be running the latest version, and we have no support for previous versions of testing kernels. My concern is about the released stable kernels and whether this change will affect them. If it does, then we need to release new public versions of those at the same time.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    vdemand poll: 100 - 1500
    Charger poll: 1 - 300 (assuming someone wants to wait 5 mins for polling)
    They are not both in seconds, right?

What are the units, and what should the complete set of choices (not just the end-points) be?

-- Rod
    BTW, I agree that anyone running testing kernels should be running the latest version, and we have no support for previous versions of testing kernels. My concern is about the released stable kernels and whether this change will affect them. If it does, then we need to release new public versions of those at the same time.

-- Rod
    This change should not affect older stable kernels as they use SSv1 (not sure how Govnah handles that dirrently than SSv{2,3}), and F102 still uses jiffies.

My assumption would be that Govnah might need to know about older stable kernels x < CUTOFF. Or force users to upgrade and have no compat code in Govnah.
    Live free or DIE!
    This change should not affect older stable kernels as they use SSv1 (not sure how Govnah handles that dirrently than SSv{2,3}), and F102 still uses jiffies.

My assumption would be that Govnah might need to know about older stable kernels x < CUTOFF. Or force users to upgrade and have no compat code in Govnah.
    If we have an older released kernel with the same parameter name with different range units, then we have a problem. Either the older released kernel has to be updated, or use a different parameter filename for the one with different units.

-- Rod
    If we have an older released kernel with the same parameter name with different range units, then we have a problem. Either the older released kernel has to be updated, or use a different parameter filename for the one with different units.

-- Rod
    From what I remember I think only the charger poll in older kernels used the same sysfs name. i'll have to give this some thought.
    Live free or DIE!
    I'm having a problem with the Ondemand governor with the stock Kernel on a 1.4.5.1 Pre Plus (VZW). This particular unit has never been patched, has never used a non-default Kernel, etc. However I did use Save/Restore to restore some things - I think including Govnah settings.

I tried to setup a new profile this morning to move between 500mhz and 600mhz just to see how that works. It's been a long time since i played with Ondemand and while I realize it has faults I wanted to tinker.

The problem is that when I activated the new profile I found that my speed dropped to 125mhz. The processer dutifully sped up to 600mhz when load increased and then dropped back down as soon as it was idle.

I generated a support email in Govnah which I have attached below. What's odd is that there are a lot of profiles listed when only two appear in the UI - Default and Profile 63.

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 (na@na) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #1 281.1.23.2
    Current:
    From Service:
    Governor: ondemand
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 500 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0

Files:
    cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'ondemand' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '500000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '600000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '200000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    echo -n '80' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias

end script
    compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:
    (1) Screenstate 500/1000 v12
    Governor: screenstate
    max freq: 1 GHz
    (2) Screenstate 500/800 v12
    max freq: 800 MHz
    (3) Fixed Speed 800 v12
    Governor: performance
    min freq: 800 MHz
    (4) Fixed Speed 720 v12
    min freq: 720 MHz
    max freq: 720 MHz
    (5) Fixed Speed 600 v12
    min freq: 600 MHz
    (7) VDemand 1005 v12
    Governor: vdemand
    min freq: 1.005 GHz
    max freq: 1.005 GHz
    (8) Screenstate2 500/800 v12
    Governor: screenstate-v2
    (9) Screenstate 250/1100 v12
    min freq: 250 MHz
    max freq: 1.1 GHz
    (10) Screenstate2 500/1005 v12
    (11) OnDemandTcl 1200 v13
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    max freq: 1.2 GHz
    (12) Warthog Default v12
    Governor: userspace
    min freq: 125 MHz
    max freq: 1.05 GHz
    setspeed: 500 MHz
    (13) Palm Default v12
    (6) UberKernel Default v12
    (50) Screenstate2 500/1100 v15
    (51) F104A Default v15
    (63) Profile 63
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You're using the stock kernel, which does not support any of those profiles, so they are not enabled.

Ondemand governor doesn't work properly. Nothing we can do to fix it. Use something else.

As Marco says below, setting powersave bias to 1 will help somewhat, but folks still report ondemand governor problems in the stock kernel even with that enabled.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/21/2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'm having a problem with the Ondemand governor with the stock Kernel on a 1.4.5.1 Pre Plus (VZW). This particular unit has never been patched, has never used a non-default Kernel, etc. However I did use Save/Restore to restore some things - I think including Govnah settings.

I tried to setup a new profile this morning to move between 500mhz and 600mhz just to see how that works. It's been a long time since i played with Ondemand and while I realize it has faults I wanted to tinker.

The problem is that when I activated the new profile I found that my speed dropped to 125mhz. The processer dutifully sped up to 600mhz when load increased and then dropped back down as soon as it was idle.

I generated a support email in Govnah which I have attached below. What's odd is that there are a lot of profiles listed when only two appear in the UI - Default and Profile 63.
    Set powersave bias => 1.
    Live free or DIE!
    You're using the stock kernel, which does not support any of those profiles, so they are not enabled.

Ondemand governor doesn't work properly. Nothing we can do to fix it. Use something else.

As Marco says below, setting powersave bias to 1 will help somewhat, but folks still report ondemand governor problems in the stock kernel even with that enabled.

-- Rod
    I will try setting that - I think that's the way it was set before (long long ago). This behavior (dropping to 125mhz when set to 500mhz) is something I have never seen before.

On a related note - how do I get RID of the profiles reported by Govnah in the email text - they do not show up in the UI and I have no idea what to delete to get rid of them. I was pretty sure I had deleted them all before I switched devices - but I guess I'm wrong.
    There's no reason to delete them.

-- Rod
    There's no reason to delete them.

-- Rod
    Even if it isn't necessary - is there any way to do it? If I remove Govnah is there a file I need to delete before reinstalling? Maybe I'm OCD about this but it bugs me that these old unused profiles are out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Even if it isn't necessary - is there any way to do it? If I remove Govnah is there a file I need to delete before reinstalling? Maybe I'm OCD about this but it bugs me that these old unused profiles are out there.
    They are neither old nor unused.

If you install a different kernel, some of those profiles will suddenly become visible.

-- Rod
    I posted this in the Pre Forum, but it was indicated that I should post my issue in the Govnah forum. Here's the thread in the Pre Forum: Govnah Screenstate 500/1000 stuck at 500 MHz

I have a Verizon Pre+ running 1.4.5. When I check Govnah (v0.7.29, UberKernal -158), the Profile is set to Screenstate 500/1000, however the Frequency is shown as 500MHz. I can usually get the Pre+ up to 1000MHz by changing the Profile to Fixed Speed 800. The Frequency moves to 800MHz. I then change the profile back to Screenstate 500/1000 and the Frequency jumps to 1000MHz.

I did upgrade to 1.4.5.1 last Thursday, but the problem existed before the upgrade and continues after.

I should note that I also use Preset Reset, so my Pre+ gets a reset automatically every morning at 4:00AM.

Recently, the 800MHz switch fix mentioned above stopped working. It will revert back to 500MHz once I close Govnah and then launch it again.
    Post the output from Help->Generate Email.

-- Rod
    I upgraded to Govnah v0.8.3 and the 500/1000 profile is still stuck at 500MHz.

Here's the output from Help>Generate Email:

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 (v1.4.5-158@org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #2 Thu Jan 20 09:51:50 UTC 2011
    Current:
    From Service:
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    CPU Voltage: 69 66 65 60 48 36 30
    System Voltage: 44
    temp limit: 55 C
    temp reset: 50 C
    batt low thresh: 25 %
    batt low speed: 500 MHz
    override charger: false

Files:
    cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'screenstate' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '500000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '1000000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

end script
    compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:
    (15) Screenstate 500/1000 v12
    (16) Screenstate 500/800 v12
    (17) Fixed Speed 800 v12
    min freq: 800 MHz
    (18) Fixed Speed 720 v12
    min freq: 720 MHz
    max freq: 720 MHz
    (19) Fixed Speed 600 v12
    min freq: 600 MHz
    (20) UberKernel Default v12
    (22) Screenstate2 500/800 v12
    (23) Screenstate 250/1100 v12
    min freq: 250 MHz
    (24) Screenstate2 500/1005 v12
    (25) OnDemandTcl 1200 v13
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    max freq: 1.2 GHz
    (26) Warthog Default v12
    max freq: 1.05 GHz
    (27) Palm Default v12
    (28) Screenstate2 500/1100 v15
    (29) F104A Default v15
    (30) VDemand 1005 v19
    Governor: vdemand
    Can you confirm that your battery is higher than 25% and that your device is not connected to the USB cable nor is it on the touchstone?

-- Rod
    Can you confirm that your battery is higher than 25% and that your device is not connected to the USB cable nor is it on the touchstone?

-- Rod
    The battery is 100%. I do have the USB cable plugged into a wall charger. When I have it on the touchstone, it overheats.

Removing the USB jumps the Frequency to 1GHz. Plugging it back in, it goes to 500MHz.