Page 74 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1910
Like Tree14Likes
    Looking for help on keeping Govnah and UK running at the speeds I set:

http://forums.precentral.net/2902150-post2287.html

I did see the note on page one:
    Q - Why won't the ondemand governor obey my min_freq setting?
    A - This is a known kernel bug. NOT a problem with govnah. Apparently you can trick the kernel to staying above 125mhz by setting powersave bias to 1. (Reference)
    However what it points to is the possibility of one particular governor dropping lower than expected - that is not my problem. My problem is that everything works - and then somewhere along the line it stops going below 500mhz. My phone works well below 500mhz even down to 125mhz albeit sluggishly.

Restarting the device always makes this problem go away.
    Oh and I have a question. With Govnah - are the I/O Scheduler, Compressed Swap and TCP Congestion settings all global or can they be saved per profile? I can't seem to get my changed settings to stick over reboots - only the CPU Governor and Speeds seem to be held in my profiles. Is that expected behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I am having a problem where when I setup a Govnah profile with UK kernel it doesn't seem to want to go below 500mhz. If I restart my device it will work for a while at below 500mhz - but after a while if I set it for below 500mhz even using userspace or fixed performance or powersave governors I cannot get it to downshift.
    To clarify the problem wasn't reliable stable use of the device at the low speeds - it was an inability to get the device to step down to these speeds at all - it just refused to even try.

However - this problem has not returned since the last reboot. I am able to reliably get Govnah/UK downshift to 250mhz or even 125mhz even after a day of playing with various profiles. The past problem - unable to shift below 500mhz - has not come back.

I don't know what to look for in the logs but if anyone has suggestions or wants me to look I am game. If this doesn't reoccur I'm not going to worry too much about it. Something was goofy and it isn't anymore.
    Oh and I have a question. With Govnah - are the I/O Scheduler, Compressed Swap and TCP Congestion settings all global or can they be saved per profile? I can't seem to get my changed settings to stick over reboots - only the CPU Governor and Speeds seem to be held in my profiles. Is that expected behavior?
    Crickets? No one knows? If there is somewhere else I should ask or look please give me a hint.
    I/O scheduler and TCP congestion settings are not saved in the profile.

Compcache is, but if you're running 2.1.0 it's built into the kernel, so we need to update the way we configure it to take that into account.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I/O scheduler and TCP congestion settings are not saved in the profile.

Compcache is, but if you're running 2.1.0 it's built into the kernel, so we need to update the way we configure it to take that into account.

-- Rod
    Just for the Pre/Pre+. Pre2, compcache is absent.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Just for the Pre/Pre+. Pre2, compcache is absent.
    Yeah, that's why I haven't tackled the Govnah bit yet

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Does Govnah have to be open to work? Or is this a background process?
    Quote Originally Posted by donfly View Post
    Does Govnah have to be open to work? Or is this a background process?

Neither.

Govnah tells the kernel how to run. (period) Once you tell the kernel what to do, you are safe to close Govnah.

M.
    Has anyone had issues with 2.1 with uber / Gov when Gov is set to update launcher icon?

After using the script to upgrade my pre plus (Verizon) to 2.1 all was cool until I set up uber and Gov - and I believe I have narrowed it down to the updating of the launcher icon.

It would essentially keep using more memory, then swap, and eventually crash. Regardless of what other apps were open, etc. Not sure if it is an issue with Uber / Gov, or something else that I missed - However, seems to be working fine now without that option checked!

-Edit-
    I played with it a bit more, and it crashed much more quickly when I also had Weather Icon installed and setting to update icon. So it seems to be something to do with updating icons maybe?
    Last edited by whitec; 03/17/2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Additional Info
  11.    #1471  
    Don't think I ever tested govnah's icon updating in 2.x. I certainly hope they didn't break it.

I believe that setting already defaults to off. Maybe we'll have to hide the option to turn it on for 2.x devices :/
    I'm experiencing what seems like a bug with Govnah 7.24 on UK 2.1.0-18 with a VZW Pre+ on 2.1:

In the profiles screen if i drag a profile to a new location in the list, then tap on it to use that profile a different profile seems to load. If i then go back into the profile screen and select it again it seems to work.

It may be wrongly selecting the profile that is adjacent to the profile that i am moving. EG, before draging my "500/800 no cache" profile it was next to a 500/800 conservative profile. after moving the 500/800 no cache when i tap on it, it seems to run the conservative profile.
    RE: http://forums.precentral.net/2914317-post2385.html

Since Govnah does not currently collect info while the screen is off - could that be an option for future development? Also if someone wants to verify processor behavior when the screen is off, what log data would we need to look at?

Since Govnah does not currently collect info while the screen is off - could that be an option for future development? Also if someone wants to verify processor behavior when the screen is off, what log data would we need to look at?
    Not sure Govnah should be made into a diagnostic tool. For it to poll while the screen is off will kill the battery quicker since the phone will have to wake up from sleep in order to get all the values. Best bet is to use CLI.
    Live free or DIE!

Although I 110% agree with what 'Psycho just posted, I do have to point out a "bug" in Govnah that you can exploit until it's fixed.

Govnah's Exhibition mode continues to run in the background even when not being displayed. You can:

• Launcher --> 3rd pane --> Exhibition Mode.
    • Enable Govnah (toggle switch) --> Hit "Start Exhibition Mode".
    • Select "Govnah" from the drop-down in the top left and let it start.

You are free to exit Exhibition Mode now and can close all that (just don't un-toggle Govnah on the Exhibition Mode Settings scene). Govnah's still running in the background. You can check back with it in however long you want by starting Exhibition Mode again (by the button or dropping the phone on a 'Stone). It's a 10 second (non-configurable) poll rate, so you won't get data as fast as you're used to (depending on your poll setting).

To stop Govnah, go back to the Exhibition Mode in your launcher and disable it with the toggle switch there. That'll actually close the app in the background.

M.
  16.    #1476  
    Thats not a bug, that is how exhibition works.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Thats not a bug, that is how exhibition works.

Totally agree, but the time-outs could be stopped on stageDeactivate() so it didn't run. That's all I was saying, I guess.

M.
  18.    #1478  
    Maybe I'll make that an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Maybe I'll make that an option.

That'd be cool. I'd probably use it then. (once I'm tired of seeing the minor thing I'm working on, anyway. ).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Although I 110% agree with what 'Psycho just posted, I do have to point out a "bug" in Govnah that you can exploit until it's fixed.

Govnah's Exhibition mode continues to run in the background even when not being displayed. You can:

• Launcher --> 3rd pane --> Exhibition Mode.
    • Enable Govnah (toggle switch) --> Hit "Start Exhibition Mode".
    • Select "Govnah" from the drop-down in the top left and let it start.

You are free to exit Exhibition Mode now and can close all that (just don't un-toggle Govnah on the Exhibition Mode Settings scene). Govnah's still running in the background. You can check back with it in however long you want by starting Exhibition Mode again (by the button or dropping the phone on a 'Stone). It's a 10 second (non-configurable) poll rate, so you won't get data as fast as you're used to (depending on your poll setting).

To stop Govnah, go back to the Exhibition Mode in your launcher and disable it with the toggle switch there. That'll actually close the app in the background.

M.
    Learn something new everyday!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.