Page 73 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1910
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Hello,

I finally decided to jump on the Homebrew bandwagon and just finished installing the UK/Gov combo. I currently have it set to screenstate 500/800. I just want to know if this is the accepted standard settings and if not which setting ensures speed whilst saving batt life and doesn't fry the Pre in general in the long-term?
    Last edited by kanaka; 01/21/2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I posted a Guide over here how to save as much battery as possible while having comfortable speed. Check it out if you'd like to:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-life-max.html
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanks for this, when you say lower frequencies have negative effects do you mean lower screenstate frequencies?

For example i'm thinking of settling on a screenstate 500/600 setting...is that acceptable?
    I'm running the latest testing Govnah and Uberkernal...I am running a Screenstate 500/800 but with custom voltage settings and created a new profile. However, no matter what I do, I can't get the profile to stick and it always just shows the default "screenstate 500/800" as the active profile. Any idea why that's happening?
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    No idea why, but if you re-save your custom profile with same name (to overwrite) it will display properly again. It's actually applying the custom profile, just not displaying exact name.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Kanaka: With lower frequencies I think of 250Mhz or 125MHz...like 250/800 for example.
    The Pre CPU normally runs at 600MHz, while being downclocked to 500MHz by default (and palm). Setting lower frequencies like 250MHz or 125MHz is possible but results in conflicts.

Audemars02: Did you click on done in the cpu frequency dialog after changing the voltages?
    Last edited by ice8lue; 01/22/2011 at 03:33 AM.
    (the kernel devs will probably end up hating me for this suggestion, but...)

Is there a way to make Govnah much more "modular"?

As it stands now, a new rev of Govnah has to be hacked at and released for (almost) every little tweak/change/addition/etc. the kernel dev makes to the kernel for Govnah to work properly.

A kernel IPK could include a config file (or capability file - if you will) that has what it can do and how it can do it. Drop it in some LSB type location (/var/lib/govnah/ ?) and Govnah parses that for the different kernels.

pseudo code:

Code:
    <kernel>
      <name>YF-22</name>
    </kernel>

<speeds>
      <1>2000</1>
      <2>1500</2>
    </speeds>

<governors>
      <1>ondemand</1>
      <2>screenstate</2>
    </governors>

<capabilities>
      <screenstate>
        <1>(load > 70%) == (vsel+2)</1>
        <2>(load > 30%) && (load < 69%) = (vsel)</2>
        <3>(load > 0%) && (load < 29%) == (vsel -2)</3>
      </screenstate>
    </capabilities>
    You get the idea...

Govnah would match the kernel name with the right config file that "comes with" the kernel and knows what to display and what not to.

I'm sure this has been kicked around, but, I haven't noticed it. It'd take a lot of scrambling out a release of Govnah because something changed in a kernel.

Yes, I'm aware this is probably more trouble than it's probably worth, but you'd gain an "always" (within reason, of course) properly working Govnah and properly controlled kernel.

I dunno. Just a thought that occurred to me.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

As it stands now, a new rev of Govnah has to be hacked at and released for (almost) every little tweak/change/addition/etc. the kernel dev makes to the kernel for Govnah to work properly.

A kernel IPK could include a config file (or capability file - if you will) that has what it can do and how it can do it. Drop it in some LSB type location (/var/lib/govnah/ ?) and Govnah parses that for the different kernels.

pseudo code:

Code:
    <kernel>
      <name>YF-22</name>
    </kernel>

<speeds>
      <1>2000</1>
      <2>1500</2>
    </speeds>

<governors>
      <1>ondemand</1>
      <2>screenstate</2>
    </governors>

<capabilities>
      <screenstate>
      </screenstate>
    </capabilities>
    You get the idea...

Govnah would match the kernel name with the right config file that "comes with" the kernel and knows what to display and what not to.

I'm sure this has been kicked around, but, I haven't noticed it. It'd take a lot of scrambling out a release of Govnah because something changed in a kernel.

Yes, I'm aware this is probably more trouble than it's probably worth, but you'd gain an "always" (within reason, of course) properly working Govnah and properly controlled kernel.

M.
    YF-22/F22 is dead. not happy with that.
    Live free or DIE!
  9.    #1449  
    As it stands now, a new rev of Govnah has to be hacked at and released for (almost) every little tweak/change/addition/etc.
    rwhitby likes it this way.

pseudo code:

Code:
    <kernel>
      <name>YF-22</name>
    </kernel>

<speeds>
      <1>2000</1>
      <2>1500</2>
    </speeds>

<governors>
      <1>ondemand</1>
      <2>screenstate</2>
    </governors>

<capabilities>
      <screenstate>
      </screenstate>
    </capabilities>
    You get the idea...

M.
    OK, let's clear up some misconceptions here.

Govnah already gets *all* it's information about kernel capabilities from the kernel. If you look in the advanced settings, you see the dynamic display of the parameters that are exposed by the kernel.

What I have been adding to the testing versions of Govnah lately are *DEFAULT PROFILES* for each of the kernels. Note that you can get the same profile in any previous version of Govnah by selecting it from the advanced settings and saving it.

Govnah is able to control the kernels, and their new governors and settings, without any profiles required. The profiles are there for *CONVENIENCE*, not as required functionality.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    OK, let's clear up some misconceptions here.

I have been adding to the testing versions of Govnah lately are *DEFAULT PROFILES* for each of the kernels. Note that you can get the same profile in any previous version of Govnah by selecting it from the advanced settings and saving it.

OK. I didn't realize that's all that was going on. Thank you for clearing that up, man.

I'll shut up now...

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/30/2011 at 08:17 PM.
    quick one. is there no support for webos 2.0 yet? I have looked but cannot find it. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtronics View Post
    quick one. is there no support for webos 2.0 yet? I have looked but cannot find it. thanks
    Govnah works on all webOS versions from 1.3.5 onwards, including 2.x

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ok I installed it, but no uberkernal to "speed up" my pre.
    so what does it do alone?

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Govnah works on all webOS versions from 1.3.5 onwards, including 2.x

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtronics View Post
    ok I installed it, but no uberkernal to "speed up" my pre.
    so what does it do alone?
    There is no public release of webOS 2.@ for the Pre, so how could there be an UberKernel?

-- Rod
    Quick question guys: I'm enjoying UberKernel, but don't dare to change a bit. Does it make any sense having it and not overclocking at all? Perhaps UberKernel has other benefits... Or is it wiser to use the standard kernel, if I find my Pre already speedy enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Quick question guys: I'm enjoying UberKernel, but don't dare to change a bit. Does it make any sense having it and not overclocking at all? Perhaps UberKernel has other benefits... Or is it wiser to use the standard kernel, if I find my Pre already speedy enough?
    just following you around and commenting on your comments lol

it makes sense -- it will help with TMC errors but if you have it installed why not run up the speed -- there is very little risk and the performance is worth it IMHO
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    just following you around and commenting on your comments
    A funny chasing game!

it makes sense -- it will help with TMC errors but if you have it installed why not run up the speed -- there is very little risk and the performance is worth it IMHO
    Aha, will try. Which is a good profile to start with? I think those "Screenstate" are interesting, because they revert to low speed when not using the phone. Am I right? Should I start with the "500/800"? Is the 1Ghz speed worth the battery drain? Does it compromise any other thing?

Also, those advanced settings seem juicy... Where can I find explanations about those fascinating terms, like "userspace", "compressed swap", and all that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    A funny chasing game!

Aha, will try. Which is a good profile to start with? I think those "Screenstate" are interesting, because they revert to low speed when not using the phone. Am I right? Should I start with the "500/800"? Is the 1Ghz speed worth the battery drain? Does it compromise any other thing?

Also, those advanced settings seem juicy... Where can I find explanations about those fascinating terms, like "userspace", "compressed swap", and all that?
    i am using the F105 kernel and prefer the screenstate profile -- i have found that the real battery hog on my phone is the data connection so i am using mode switcher by sconix to turn off the data connection at times that i don't need it -- with this and the screen state profile i get a lot more life out of my battery then i ever did stock -- (you can get in get what you need and get out with the higher speeds)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i am using the F105 kernel
    Oh, what's that? Another kernel with similar enhancements to UberKernel?

and prefer the screenstate profile
    Just yesterday I switched to "screenstate 500/800" with Govnah, and I'm not going to say it's like having a new phone, but almost! Responsiveness is higher indeed, and the app that takes more to load (music player remix) takes noticeably less.

I have found that the real battery hog on my phone is the data connection so i am using mode switcher by sconix to turn off the data connection at times that i don't need it
    Yes, I have a "Night mode" that kicks in 23:00-07:00, which turns off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS, and thus I can save a lot of juice when not in use. I had an office mode (detected by Wi-Fi) that turned off bluetooth, but have had battery hog experiences, and now bluetooth is always on.