Page 6 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 1910
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #101  
    But I have some strange results after that.

    1. If the phone is on the Touchstone and it goes to the clock/lock it does not drop down to 500 as expected.

    2. If the phone is off the charger and goes to sleep the phone drops to 500.

    3. Once the phone drops to 500 it will not go back up to 800 once the screen is back on. The phone stays at 500.

    4. If you restart Govnah and select Screenstate and save again it will jump to 800.

    And the cycle will repeat itself.

    I am using both the latest versions of Govnah and Uber-Kernal.

    Anyone else seen this?
    I believe that this is a known issue.

    If you turn your screen off (using the top button), then place on touchstone, the phone will charge at the scale down MIN.

    Instead of rebooting Govnah, after you leave the touchstone; you can turn the screen back off then on and Govnah should revert to your settings for the screenstate governor.

    At least, this is how it works on my phone and I know that I read this posted somewhere else.

    And I just reproduced it at my desk with my touchstone.
  2. hshendon's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #102  
    Is there some place that describes exactly what each option does? I would like to know the difference between ondemand, userspace, and screen state and what to expect to see in the performance graphs as a result. I have looked at the wiki and the help page and this thread, but see nothing that describes each or compares them to one another.

    Sorry if I missed something I should have seen.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by hshendon View Post
    Is there some place that describes exactly what each option does? I would like to know the difference between ondemand, userspace, and screen state and what to expect to see in the performance graphs as a result. I have looked at the wiki and the help page and this thread, but see nothing that describes each or compares them to one another.

    Sorry if I missed something I should have seen.
    The wiki link in the first post explains the different methods..
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by hshendon View Post
    Is there some place that describes exactly what each option does? I would like to know the difference between ondemand, userspace, and screen state and what to expect to see in the performance graphs as a result. I have looked at the wiki and the help page and this thread, but see nothing that describes each or compares them to one another.

    Sorry if I missed something I should have seen.
    The Homepage link in the package description in Preware is always a good place to start ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #105  
    Screenstate works with the touchstone!!!!!! 500 when charging...pull it off and back to 800! Great job. All we need are the settings to stick!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Screenstate works with the touchstone!!!!!! 500 when charging...pull it off and back to 800! Great job. All we need are the settings to stick!
    when it sticks, i will be there...
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Screenstate works with the touchstone!!!!!! 500 when charging...pull it off and back to 800! Great job. All we need are the settings to stick!
    Just curious, how do you know that it is dropping back to 500 while on the Touchstone. I tested it and when I wake my pre on the touchstone, it still says 800? Any ideas? As a matter of fact, every time I wake my Pre with the Govnah app running using screenstate it always says 800. Is there a way to see what it is doing while the screen is off?
    Last edited by Beach447; 05/05/2010 at 10:41 PM.
  8. #108  
    I've got uberkernel and govnah. If i turn it onto screenstate 125-800 it runs at 800. If i push the power button off and then on it jumps to 500 and not back to 800.
    Any ideas why? if i go back in the settings are still 125-800 and if i hit apply it goes back to 800.

    No touchstone involved

    EDIT
    I solved it by reading the wiki silly me.
    I have the min brightness patch which means it doesn't scale back up as it should.
    Last edited by AnthonyK; 05/06/2010 at 11:15 AM.
  9. hshendon's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    The wiki link in the first post explains the different methods..
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals
    Actually, that is not a complete listing. For example, the screen state info is missing completely.

    I will check the homepage in Preware, but I thought when I did that it brought me to the wiki anyway.

    I'll check back in when I get that done.
    Last edited by hshendon; 05/06/2010 at 12:01 PM.
  10.    #110  
    The "Governor Settings" section on the wiki page for Govnah was only there as a reference for me when developing so I could get the form looking/working correctly. It was never meant to be a main reference for people using it... It doesn't even explain the governors, just their settings, specifically, what values the settings accept.

    In fact, that information should be expanded on, and then given its own page (or moved to the uberkernel page.) And simply linked to from the Govnah page.


    Quote Originally Posted by hshendon View Post
    Actually, that is not a complete listing. For example, the screen state info is missing completely.
    Well, since screenstate has nothing special, I marked it as such on the wiki
    Last edited by oil; 05/06/2010 at 01:07 PM.
  11. bjs188's Avatar
    Posts
    188 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #111  
    pardon my ignorance, may be simple answer but I just installed govnah and uberkernel yesterday via preware (awesome that you can do that, I had the older 800 kernel for past month). So i had to do battery pull today for other reason, and govnah says 500. ok I get the whole doesn't stick yet thing, so I go into govnah and apply screenstate settings, I'm back @ 800.

    my real question is this: If I use the homebrew reboot scheduler (which I like, and think it helps my phone) will that reset my speed to 500 every night when it reboots? Do I just have to apply settings each morning? What about Luna restart if pre sluggish, too many cards, or patching from preware?

    tia
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    If I use the homebrew reboot scheduler (which I like, and think it helps my phone) will that reset my speed to 500 every night when it reboots?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    Do I just have to apply settings each morning?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    What about Luna restart if pre sluggish, too many cards, or patching from preware?
    No (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)
  13. #113  
    Luna restart does NOT require you to reapply CPU settings.
  14. #114  
    For those having trouble finding the information from the Wiki..

    The performance governor:

    Use the performance governor to set the CPU speed to the highest available frequency. Generally, you would not select this governor to save power unless your applications consistently demand 100 percent CPU. You might also select this governor to obtain consistent, minimal latency times.

    This governor sets the CPU speed to the frequency defined in the scaling_max_freq parameter. The default value is the highest available processor frequency. You can manually set it to one of the lower frequencies by changing the value of the scaling_max_freq parameter.

    The powersave governor:

    Use the powersave governor to obtain potential power savings without regard for application process completion times. In contrast to the performance governor, the powersave governor sets the CPU to the value of the scaling_min_freq parameter. Its default value is the lowest available processor frequency. You can manually set it to one of the higher frequencies by changing the value of the scaling_min_freq parameter.

    Be careful when selecting this governor, as performance might decrease without obtaining power savings. In our tests, this governor did not save power because application process completion times were prolonged at the lower processor frequency and the system did not enter a deep C-state. The greatest power savings occur at idle in deeper C-states.

    The ondemand governor:

    Use the ondemand governor (introduced in Linux® kernel version 2.6.10) to dynamically changes CPU frequency in response to CPU utilization. Use this governor to automatically select the highest available processor frequency when the processor load rises above a definable threshold (up_threshold). Because the governor requires time to respond to changes in system load, performance might be reduced if your workload utilization changes frequently.

    If CPU utilization rises above the threshold value set in the up_threshold parameter, the ondemand governor increases the CPU frequency to scaling_max_freq. When CPU utilization falls below this threshold, the governor decreases the frequency in steps; that is, it sets the CPU to run at the next lowest frequency. The lowest frequency that the CPU can go is bounded by scaling_min_freq. After each sampling_rate milliseconds, the current CPU utilization is reexamined and the same algorithm is applied to dynamically adjust the CPU frequency to current process load.

    Optionally, you can use the ignore_nice_load option to ignore all niced processes. That is, all processes that run with a positive nice value will not be counted toward the overall CPU utilization. Set this parameter to 1 if you do not care how long it takes niced processes to complete.

    The powersave_bias parameter modifies the behavior of the ondemand governor to save more power by reducing the target frequency by a specified percentage. By default, (powersave_bias = 0), the ondemand governor selects the minimum processor frequency that can still complete a workload with minimal idle time. Doing so should result in the highest performance to power efficiency ratio. In some cases, you might prefer a greater emphasis on power efficiency than performance. In this case, set the powersave_bias parameter to a value between 1 and 1000 to reduce the target frequency by one-thousandth of that value. For example, set powersave_bias to 100 for a one-tenth reduction in target frequency. In this case, if the governor chooses a target frequency of 2 GHz (with powersave_bias = 100), the governor instead will request 1.8GHz – a one-tenth reduction. If 1.8 GHz is an exact match with an available hardware frequency (listed in the scaling_available_freq parameter), the processor is set to this frequency. If 1.8 GHz is not available, the processor fluctuates between the closest available upper and lower frequencies for an average frequency of 1.8 GHz.

    The conservative governor:

    Select this governor if you want behavior similar to the ondemand governor, but your workload requires a fine tuned, more adaptable policy.

    The conservative governor (introduced in Linux® kernel version 2.6.12) is based on the ondemand governor. It functions like the ondemand governor by dynamically adjusting frequencies based on processor utilization. However, the conservative governor increases and decreases CPU speed more gradually. If CPU utilization is above up_threshold, this governor will step up the frequency to the next highest frequency below or equal to scaling_max_freq. If CPU utilization is below down_threshold, this governor will step down the frequency to the next lowest frequency until it reaches scaling_min_freq. After each sampling_rate milliseconds, the current CPU utilization will be reexamined and the same algorithm will be applied to dynamically adjust the CPU frequency to current utilization.

    The sampling_down_factor value acts as a negative multiplier of sampling_rate to reduce the frequency that the scheduler samples the CPU utilization. For example, if you set sampling_rate to 10,000 and sampling_down_factor to 2, the scheduler samples the CPU utilization every 20,000 microseconds.

    The freq_step parameter changes the size of the frequency step that the governor uses to change CPU frequency in either direction. By default this setting is 5, which means the governor will change the CPU frequency by five percent of the maximum or minimum frequency each time it changes frequencies. If you set this value to 100, the governor will behave exactly like the ondemand governor and immediately increase to the highest speed.

    Optionally, you can turn on the ignore_nice_load option to ignore all niced processes. That is, all processes that run with a positive nice value will not be counted toward the overall CPU utilization. Therefore, niced processes will not cause the CPU frequency to increase and might take longer to complete. When set to 0 (the default), all processes are counted toward the CPU utilization value. When set to 1, niced processes are ignored. Use this option if you do not care how long it takes to complete niced processes.

    The userspace governor:


    Use the userspace governor if you want to impose a unique power policy that is not provided by other kernel governors or if you want to experiment with directly setting different power policies.

    This governor allows any user space program to set the processor frequency. User space daemons such as cpuspeed control the processor speed through the userspace governor interface. Because user space programs can react to any number of conditions or events, this governor (in conjunction with a user space program) provides you with the most freedom in setting processor speed. The userspace governor does not dynamically change the CPU frequency or react to processor load - it only provides a mechanism to set the frequency (through the use of the scaling_speed parameter discussed later).
    The cpuspeed program is an example of a user space program that you can use to control the processor speed. Red Hat Enterprise Linux® 5.3 provides cpuspeed and the daemon runs by default.

    Information taken from here:
    Tunable governor parameters
    Last edited by fryedchikin; 05/06/2010 at 11:25 PM.
  15. Trident's Avatar
    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #115  
    When I try to select the ondemand governor, my Pre freezes and requires me to remove the battery in order to restart- tried five times with same result.
    Other selections seem to work fine.
    The freeze occurred at different points in the selection process, but always before the changes could be applied.
  16. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you leaving the Govnah application open during these comparative tests, or closing it?

    Note that you do not need to leave the Govnah application open, and because it is continuously polling for temperature, frequency and load values, and updating graphs, just running it will probably have a periodic impact on the performance and responsiveness of page scrolling.

    -- Rod
    Missed this from two days ago, wish I hadn't. I have been leaving Govnah open just because for some strange nerdy reason I loved checking it all the time. I experienced some issues in launcher pages and the such but never gave it too much thought.

    The last two days though when checking the Palm App Catalog I noticed ALL the icons would flick away then come back at the same time, and scrolling through the catalog was PAINFUL! Sometimes pausing for 5-10 seconds, though mostly shorter pauses/freezes. Preware was not like this at all, it's normal smooth self.

    So the last hour or so I started thinking about Govnah and the polling time. Two days ago I had increased (or would it be decreased?) the polling time to every second instead of one minute. So, I left the catalog open and started adjusting the polling time. Set at 30 seconds, every 28 seconds I got the flicker in the catalog, set at 10 seconds I got the flicker every 9 or so....and so on for each setting. After adjusting the setting it takes about 10-15 seconds before it really kicks in to a steady rate. Close Govnah and it goes away totally.

    Guess I will leave Govnah closed from now on.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Missed this from two days ago, wish I hadn't. I have been leaving Govnah open just because for some strange nerdy reason I loved checking it all the time. I experienced some issues in launcher pages and the such but never gave it too much thought.

    The last two days though when checking the Palm App Catalog I noticed ALL the icons would flick away then come back at the same time, and scrolling through the catalog was PAINFUL! Sometimes pausing for 5-10 seconds, though mostly shorter pauses/freezes. Preware was not like this at all, it's normal smooth self.

    So the last hour or so I started thinking about Govnah and the polling time. Two days ago I had increased (or would it be decreased?) the polling time to every second instead of one minute. So, I left the catalog open and started adjusting the polling time. Set at 30 seconds, every 28 seconds I got the flicker in the catalog, set at 10 seconds I got the flicker every 9 or so....and so on for each setting. After adjusting the setting it takes about 10-15 seconds before it really kicks in to a steady rate. Close Govnah and it goes away totally.

    Guess I will leave Govnah closed from now on.
    Alternatively, look at the preferences in Govnah to not update the icons.

    But note that even just waking up periodically to update the graph will wake an idle processor and cause a tiny power draw from the battery each time.

    -- Rod
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    When I try to select the ondemand governor, my Pre freezes and requires me to remove the battery in order to restart- tried five times with same result.
    Other selections seem to work fine.
    The freeze occurred at different points in the selection process, but always before the changes could be applied.
    If you set the min frequency to say 500 on the userspace governor before switching to ondemand does it still crash before you have enough time to change the ondemand settings and apply them? My not so educated guess so far is that those experiencing a crash like this it may be their device is among the ones that have problems running at speeds slower than 500. I'm curious if doing this will buy enough time to change the ondemand settings. Alternatively you could try the conservative governor but will need to experiment with settings until you find which ones give you your ideal experience.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  19. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Alternatively, look at the preferences in Govnah to not update the icons.

    But note that even just waking up periodically to update the graph will wake an idle processor and cause a tiny power draw from the battery each time.

    -- Rod
    Wow, I feel like a complete *****. Really, I am embarrassed to have not even noticed at the least while changing the polling speeds that right below it is the option to not update the launcher icon.....and below that it says *Causes app catalog to flicker.

    I consider myself to be a somewhat intelligent, successful person. I am my own boss, I volunteer as President of a youth soccer club which puts me in charge of hundreds of kids and tons of their parent's money. Yet I missed that. Talk about a shot to the ego.

    Thanks Rod.
  20. Trident's Avatar
    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If you set the min frequency to say 500 on the userspace governor before switching to ondemand does it still crash before you have enough time to change the ondemand settings and apply them? My not so educated guess so far is that those experiencing a crash like this it may be their device is among the ones that have problems running at speeds slower than 500. I'm curious if doing this will buy enough time to change the ondemand settings. Alternatively you could try the conservative governor but will need to experiment with settings until you find which ones give you your ideal experience.
    Interesting idea. Tried that. Same result. As soon as I selected the ondemand_governor it froze.

Posting Permissions