Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I just reinstalled Govnah, and its only giving me 2 govonor options: userspace and ondemand.
    And only a max freq of 600MHZ???? I had Govnah installed yesterday and it had the max 800MHZ? I have reinstalled it again and its the same prob...help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    by the way, lets not get defensive when someone compares to SPK. It's the only imperical reference point any of us have, and it gives us the only comparative info many of us can offer.
    Agreed.

The nuance is a recognition that the Govnah application actually has *ZERO* effect on the performance characteristics of the device once it has set the kernel parameters and is then closed.

What happens is that nuance is not understood by the casual user (and one would not expect it to be understood, since it's a deep technical implementation detail), and therefore comparisons of Govnah vs SPK don't make sense to the developers concerned.

It is the Linux kernel source code which controls the behaviour of the device, and the Govnah application allows the configuration of that kernel code to be set in many various ways. But once the configuration is set, the actual operation is up to the kernel code.

Now, apart from the addition of the screenstate governor, the kernel code in that area is actually *identical* in all overclocking solutions of any kind ever released for the Palm Pre (the differences between webOS 1.4.0 and webOS 1.4.1 are in other areas, like the keyboard driver). You can prove this for yourself by doing a source code comparison between the two kernel sources from Palm and the two versions of the overclocking patch from unixpsycho.

Add into that mix the fact that each individual device will operate differently when used outside of it's guaranteed specification limits and each device is likely to have had a different history of installations and uninstallations, some of which do not do a very good job of cleaning up after themselves.

That is why it is a shared journey to find out why the reports of good performance from some people are diametrically conflicting with reports of bad performance from other people. Each of these reports need to be carefully and objectively broken down to identify commonalities and differences, and even then you cannot expect to get a 100% correlation.

So to expect the developers to jump to action based on a single experience report is to have unrealistic expectations. If such a report comes from a device which has been freshly webOS Doctored, has never had any other overclocking-related items applied to it, and can be replicated by a number of people, then it will go to the top of the list for analysis.

Note that we still welcome all such experience reports (as that is the only way that subtle trends or corner cases will be identified), as long as the people making the reports are mindful of the above.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/04/2010 at 10:43 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I installed the Uber-kernal and Govnah. my Pre kept rebooting and wold freeze up. i went to uninstall the uber and it would not. I had to doctor it and got it off. I went back to the Super Kernal and have had NO PROBLEMS at all. Runs smooth and lag free. The Uber was laggy in my observation. now does the Govnah work the same for the SPK?
    I have been testing Govnah and WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel since they both came out. Both installed via Preware Alpha on my Sprint Pre.

I have selected the Screenstate option 125-800 the stock settings knowing that it wont go below 500 but found that when you run Govnah for the first time the speed does go up to 800 as you would expect with the screen on.

But I have some strange results after that.

1. If the phone is on the Touchstone and it goes to the clock/lock it does not drop down to 500 as expected.

2. If the phone is off the charger and goes to sleep the phone drops to 500.

3. Once the phone drops to 500 it will not go back up to 800 once the screen is back on. The phone stays at 500.

4. If you restart Govnah and select Screenstate and save again it will jump to 800.

And the cycle will repeat itself.

I am using both the latest versions of Govnah and Uber-Kernal.

Anyone else seen this?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddytammy View Post
    I installed the Uber-kernal and Govnah. my Pre kept rebooting and wold freeze up. i went to uninstall the uber and it would not. I had to doctor it and got it off. I went back to the Super Kernal and have had NO PROBLEMS at all. Runs smooth and lag free. The Uber was laggy in my observation. now does the Govnah work the same for the SPK?
    Thanks for your experience report.

You can make it more useful to the developers by noting exactly what settings you were using in Govnah, exactly how you uninstalled any previous overclocking solutions you were using previous to the Uber-Kernel, and exactly when and how your device would reboot and freeze (and what applications you were running at the time or had run since the last reboot).

Govnah is designed for operation with a kernel which complies with the 7 principles at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels so we would not recommend its use with the SPK (in particular, you cannot access the internal CPU temperature sensor when running the SPK). You should use the CPU scaling control application recommended by the SPK maintainer if you are running the SPK.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameseward View Post
    I just reinstalled Govnah, and its only giving me 2 govonor options: userspace and ondemand.
    And only a max freq of 600MHZ???? I had Govnah installed yesterday and it had the max 800MHZ? I have reinstalled it again and its the same prob...help?
    Govnah displays and controls whatever governor and CPU scaling parameters are exposed by the kernel you are running on your device.

You should install an appropriate kernel, rather than reinstalling Govnah.

Note that this is explained in the description page for the Govnah application in Preware - can you confirm whether the wording of that page is clear enough and suggest alternative wording if it is not?

-- Rod
    Oops! I forgot to mention that I installed Uberkernel first already. I thought Uberkernel ws the appropriate kernel for Govnah?

James
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Thanks for your experience report.

You can make it more useful to the developers by noting exactly what settings you were using in Govnah, exactly how you uninstalled any previous overclocking solutions you were using previous to the Uber-Kernel, and exactly when and how your device would reboot and freeze (and what applications you were running at the time or had run since the last reboot).

Govnah is designed for operation with a kernel which complies with the 7 principles at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels so we would not recommend its use with the SPK (in particular, you cannot access the internal CPU temperature sensor when running the SPK). You should use the CPU scaling control application recommended by the SPK maintainer if you are running the SPK.

-- Rod
    i had in running 500 to 800. When it would wake up it would reboot alot and that became fustrating. i tried to unstill it through preware and it still showed up. checked webosqi to see the freq and it still said 800 and still showed installed. and thanks about the scaling control. I will get with CAJ to see what he recommends.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameseward View Post
    Oops! I forgot to mention that I installed Uberkernel first already. I thought Uberkernel ws the appropriate kernel for Govnah?
    It is. Did you install it with Preware (and which version), and did you confirm in the affirmative when Preware asked to reboot your device?

-- Rod
    i had in running 500 to 800. When it would wake up it would reboot alot and that became fustrating. i tried to unstill it through preware and it still showed up. checked webosqi to see the freq and it still said 800 and still showed installed. and thanks about the scaling control. I will get with CAJ to see what he recommends.
    OK. If you can reproduce the problem after a fresh webOS Doctor we'll be happy to look at it in detail.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I have been testing Govnah and WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel since they both came out. Both installed via Preware Alpha on my Sprint Pre.

I have selected the Screenstate option 125-800 the stock settings knowing that it wont go below 500 but found that when you run Govnah for the first time the speed does go up to 800 as you would expect with the screen on.

But I have some strange results after that.

1. If the phone is on the Touchstone and it goes to the clock/lock it does not drop down to 500 as expected.

2. If the phone is off the charger and goes to sleep the phone drops to 500.

3. Once the phone drops to 500 it will not go back up to 800 once the screen is back on. The phone stays at 500.

4. If you restart Govnah and select Screenstate and save again it will jump to 800.

And the cycle will repeat itself.

I am using both the latest versions of Govnah and Uber-Kernal.

Anyone else seen this?
    +1

I have the same issues. I just have to keep reminding myself to restart Gov every time.
    It is. Did you install it with Preware (and which version), and did you confirm in the affirmative when Preware asked to reboot your device?

-- Rod
    Yes, I did install it with preware v0.938, Preware never did ask me to reboot.

Once it was installed I just rebooted the phone.

By wake up do you mean when the screen powers on either by your actions (power button, slide open KB, etc) or by a notification? If so I have observed this happen with the stock kernel as well as both SPK and uber-kernel. I'm inclined to think there is more too it than the kernel. I have not been able to narrow down a cause. Certain governor settings may aggravate the issue if those setting choices cause any degree of instability on top of the issue. Finding the best governor and settings choices for one device should nullify all or nearly all crashes as a result of deviating from stock.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I had a similar experience as I stated on pg. 3, I didn't have the reboot problem but every time I tried to change the settings with Govnah my phone would freeze right after and I'd have to pull the battery to reboot. I have since remained in the userstate setting my phone kept defaulting to and haven't had any problems. I'm gonna try to change setting again tomorrow and hope it doesn't freeze again.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    To all those people who installed the Uber-Kernel before it was available in the default Preware feeds, and still have the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds enabled, you may wish to disable those feeds at this point in time.

To do so, just access the Manage Feeds page in Preware, and turn off the webosinternals-testing feeds. Do not turn off the normal webos-internals feed, as you will need that to get future public updates of Preware, Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

Sometime in the next 24 hours, there is likely to be a new alpha testing version of the Uber-Kernel containing improved screenstate governor transition detection. If you happen to leave the testing feeds enabled, you may end up being involved in alpha testing when you may prefer waiting for the public release of the updated version.

-- Rod
    See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2423919 for details of the new alpha testing version (1.4.1-16) of the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod
    Are you leaving the Govnah application open during these comparative tests, or closing it?

Note that you do not need to leave the Govnah application open, and because it is continuously polling for temperature, frequency and load values, and updating graphs, just running it will probably have a periodic impact on the performance and responsiveness of page scrolling.

-- Rod
    All-

This is an important point that I had forgotten (I'm old and forgetful)...

I started leaving the Govnah card open so I could watch CPU temp, and it was definitely creating a laggy experience in the launcher pages. Remembering to close the Govnah card definitely solves that.

If you are seeing hesitation, make sure it's closed.

Rod - is there any good/bad about changing the polling interval? As you said, that helps scrolling in the launcher. But, is there a downside? I'm in the habit of keeping it closed now, but I'm curious.

Thanks!
    See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2423919 for details of the new alpha testing version (1.4.1-16) of the Uber-Kernel.

-- Rod
    Is govnah doing any logging? Other than just experience reports, is there any diagnostics that we can upload to you guys to help you out?
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Quote Originally Posted by engine101 View Post
    +1

I have the same issues. I just have to keep reminding myself to restart Gov every time.
    +2
    Me too,was wondering if that's how it is.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I just installed the latest version of uber Kernel and Govnah this morning (5/5). Govnah seems to work great, except that if I select ondemand from the drop-down list, the unit instantly freezes and I have to do a battery pull.