Page 47 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Screenstate makes the battery life on the pre what it should have been.
    Palm is ferret approved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mluther View Post
    Screenstate makes the battery life on the pre what it should have been.
    although each device is diff, you 'should' find the best battery life using a fast, fixed speed. Charging at 1ghz is also faster....fwiw....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    [quote=Xanadu73;2639158]
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    [url]

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Thank you for the info, man. To "disable" this feature, I assume setting it to zero would do?

M.
    Yep, in the (now building) -110 version it will take a "0" to disable. But Govnah doesnt have it "stick" yet.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 09/02/2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    what's govanh5 in preware it just came in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    what's govanh5 in preware it just came in?
    It is a fake application, submitted by a scammer. It is not related to WebOS Internals in any way, other than having copied a screenshot and some description text.

Chuq and Lisa from Palm developer relations have already responded that they are going to act on it to remove it from the Palm Web feed (and I hope they remove the scammer's Palm account too).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is a fake application, submitted by a scammer. It is not related to WebOS Internals in any way, other than having copied a screenshot and some description text.

Chuq and Lisa from Palm developer relations have already responded that they are going to act on it to remove it from the Palm Web feed (and I hope they remove the scammer's Palm account too).

-- Rod

Is it another one of those apps that seem to do nothing?
    For those that were asking about underclocking: Underclocking to 250 really gives me extended battery life. I'm definitely not a power user, but for checking my email 5 or 6 times per day, text messaging, a few minutes of talk, browsing the net, and a game when i'm bored every now and then, i've seen a significant increase in battery life. My phone is idle for 95% of the day. I didn't go all the way to 125 because I read people having issues with the cpu not scaling up in time to ring for a call (not that my phone rings all the time anyway on sprint's network. heh.). But it works well for me and on a typical day unplugging at 9, plugging back in at midnight, by the time I plug back in it's usually around 40% to 50% depending on that day's usage. A big jump from barely making it to midnight. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by brnt00; 09/08/2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by brnt00 View Post
    For those that were asking about underclocking: Underclocking to 250 really gives me extended battery life. I'm definitely not a power user, but for checking my email 5 or 6 times per day, text messaging, a few minutes of talk, browsing the net, and a game when i'm bored every now and then, i've seen a significant increase in battery life. My phone is idle for 95% of the day. I didn't go all the way to 125 because I read people having issues with the cpu not scaling up in time to ring for a call (not that my phone rings all the time anyway on sprint's network. heh.). But it works well for me and on a typical day unplugging at 9, plugging back in at midnight, by the time I plug back in it's usually around 40% to 50% depending on that day's usage. A big jump from barely making it to midnight. Just my $0.02.
    ...on demand amd conservaive govners are NOT recommended....
    All, i have a problem with Govnah and the F104 kernel. I setup a profile with my desired settings and apply it, it works fine. My problem is that each time I restart the phone I cannot apply any custom profiles, I then have to create a new profile and apply it. Any ideas why I am having this issue?
    I have set up a profile for loading Screenstate 500. As part of this I set up the compressed swap advanced option. The compcache was enabled and a memory limit of 16MB was set. I ran out of memory on that setting and attempted to increase it to 32MB. I have not been able to get any setting other than 16MB to stick. I have tried several settings above 16MB but none of them will stay set.

Anyone know what the problem is with this setting?

By the way, I deleted the app and reloaded it. I still could not get any setting other than 16MB to work.
    To change the amount for compcache you need to toggle compcache off, click apply settings, then choose the new amount, toggle compcache back on, and click apply settings.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    running with the slider open really does keep the temps down...try streaming pandora at 1Ghz and see the temps skyrocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    I have set up a profile for loading Screenstate 500. As part of this I set up the compressed swap advanced option. The compcache was enabled and a memory limit of 16MB was set. I ran out of memory on that setting and attempted to increase it to 32MB. I have not been able to get any setting other than 16MB to stick. I have tried several settings above 16MB but none of them will stay set.

Anyone know what the problem is with this setting?

By the way, I deleted the app and reloaded it. I still could not get any setting other than 16MB to work.
    After applying the settings you must tap Save as new profile.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    So is there a recommended screenstate profile for extending battery life? I'd like to try to use a profile that has 250 MHz or less when the screen is off, but of course, I don't want to make anything on the phone not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabroni143 View Post
    So is there a recommended screenstate profile for extending battery life? I'd like to try to use a profile that has 250 MHz or less when the screen is off, but of course, I don't want to make anything on the phone not work.
    I used screenstate with 250 as the low setting without issue. I do not get many phone calls so I migt not be a good act to follow.

I have switched to a low of 500 so that apps that run while the screen is off still run fast and well. Not ideal but it seems to work well. Not much on saving the batt except it is not clocking at 1G all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    why are they not reccommended?

prior to switching to F105 thunderchief which only supports screen state i used the on demand governer alot ( especially with CPU scaler ultimate before it's not being supported anymore -- i really liked the on demand scaler

so again i ask --why is it not recommended?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I have a quick question - I want to install the Uber Kernal so I can overvclosck my phone. Should I backup anything from my phone to my computer in case I have any problems with my phone after installing the kernel? I have already installed Govnah. I just am a little worried that the kernel may invalidate any warranty or insurance I have. Thanks for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissfan1960 View Post
    I have a quick question - I want to install the Uber Kernal so I can overvclosck my phone. Should I backup anything from my phone to my computer in case I have any problems with my phone after installing the kernel? I have already installed Govnah. I just am a little worried that the kernel may invalidate any warranty or insurance I have. Thanks for any help.
    Start here for the warnings and guidance: Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

Then, if you have more specific questions, post away!
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    why are they not reccommended?

prior to switching to F105 thunderchief which only supports screen state i used the on demand governer alot ( especially with CPU scaler ultimate before it's not being supported anymore -- i really liked the on demand scaler

so again i ask --why is it not recommended?
    Two possible reasons that I personally don't recommend on demand or conservative scaling govenors: Stability and battery consumption. Not everyone will have these problems but are considerations to be made. Stability being the greater of the two. It is possible with patience one can fine tune the settings for either of these governors and get results they are happy with. Personally I never found settings that resulted with performance and stability I would be happy with. I personally am not heavy enough of a user to observe any increase in battery consumption regardless of what I have used for speeds or governor choice.

One may consider scaling with those governors for temperature reasons. However temperature limit and reset settings handle that. Heavy CPU tasks like 3D games or heavy carrier data use push the temperatures (CPU and battery) up high for me at 1ghz. As a result I have set the limit and reset amounts in such a way that when it hits the limit it doesn't clock back up to 1ghz until the CPU temp has gone back down to close to idle temperature. Long term exposure to high temperature isn't good for the life expectancy of the battery. This helps me avoid spending too much time doing things that cause prolonged exposure to the high temperature.

Depending on what I'm doing with my device I will use a fixed speed 800 or fixed speed 1ghz profile with the same limit and reset settings. Most of the time I am using fixed speed 1ghz because to me it provides the best overall experience for me. If I'm in an area with bad carrier coverage (which is very rare) I use screen state though other than temperature while charging I'm not sure if there is any other benefit as of yet. I probably will never be in an area of bad coverage long enough to analyze things enough.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    ....the govnah wiki explains each governor and recommends not using either on mobile devices.... also the presumption that cpu scaling increases battery life may not be correct...google "race to idle" for more detail...