Page 42 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546475292 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    After the 1.4.5 update everything seemed to work fine for me too. I went into Preware and installed all the available updates, even though I had to run it twice to get all of them. After a restart, I went to launch Govnah and it wouldn't let me pick anything except the Palm Default. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the UberKernel (with re-starts) and now it is working again.
    yea uninstalling/reinstalling fixed it for me, thanks
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Is there something that needs to be fixed? Or is it better to uninstall kernels before updates?
    For me I didn't have to uninstall and reinstall. I just needed a full restart.
    Uninstall / Install = working just fine!

Loving it!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    My apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but my searching didn't come up with anything. Is there any way to rearrange the order the profiles show up in? My OCD keeps asking me to do something about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    My apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but my searching didn't come up with anything. Is there any way to rearrange the order the profiles show up in? My OCD keeps asking me to do something about it...
    Here is the conversation so far on the topic. I'd love to see someone take this on before I get back in town. Might be a good project for someone who is getting started on webOS development. I'm guessing it is as simple as adding a line to the config. for the list.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I got a feature request. Reorderable profile list. It appears all of my custom profiles get added to the end of the preloaded profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, that would be handy. Any Mojo developers want to take a look at that?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm out of town right now and forgot my USB drive with my development environments on it. Otherwise I'd probably look into it myself but am hoping someone will take it on before I get back in about a week or so.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgs9455 View Post
    Is there something that needs to be fixed? Or is it better to uninstall kernels before updates?
    All you need to do is make sure you use Preware (not any other tool), you "Update Feeds" after the OTA update, and then update the kernel, and then make sure you say "OK" when it asks to reboot (not Luna Restart) your phone.

I suspect everyone having problems has neglected one of those steps.

You do not need to uninstall and reinstall the kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    updated perfectly for me after a full restart, not one ipkg error.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All you need to do is make sure you use Preware (not any other tool), you "Update Feeds" after the OTA update, and then update the kernel, and then make sure you say "OK" when it asks to reboot (not Luna Restart) your phone.

I suspect everyone having problems has neglected one of those steps.

You do not need to uninstall and reinstall the kernel.

-- Rod
    I only use Preware, I updated the feeds after the OTA update, updated the kernel, hit OK when it asked me to reboot, and then did it again installing the rest of the patch updates, and did a full restart again. So two rounds of patch/kernel updates and 2 full reboots with no Luna restarts. I still had to uninstall and reinstall the kernel to get it to work. No biggie.

But everything is working fine now, great work guys!
    Howdy. I've been using Uberkernel/Govnah for a week or so and am very impressed. I've no complaints or issues, but do have a few questions about the behaviors of the various governors I'm hoping y'all can answer.

First, for the userspace governor the wiki states that it "sets the CPU speed to a defined rate as chosen by LunaSysMgr". Does this rate ever vary from the value set in the scaling_setspeed parameter? I've yet to see it change the rate, and I'm wondering what LunaSysMgr does to decide the rate should be changed.

Second, is the 500 MHz limitation on the CPU during charging only valid with the screenstate governor? With that one I clearly see it drop when I plug my Pre in, but as mentioned above it stays unchanged while the governor is userspace.

Finally, I've heard (though I guess I won't find out myself for some time, thank you Verizon) that WebOS 1.4.5 brings significant improvement to battery life. Has that allowed y'all to run at higher CPU speeds? I've noticed my battery can drop very quickly now if I'm not paying attention.

Thanks and have a great day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick31 View Post
    Finally, I've heard (though I guess I won't find out myself for some time, thank you Verizon) that WebOS 1.4.5 brings significant improvement to battery life. Has that allowed y'all to run at higher CPU speeds? I've noticed my battery can drop very quickly now if I'm not paying attention.
    My battery life is about the same, to somewhat better depending on usage. I'm running with a setspeed of 800mhz and scaling to 1ghz, higher than before 1.4.5. Temps also seem to have improved somewhat as well.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I can't find explanations of what temp limit and temp reset do. I think from what I've read that temp reset will back my cpu down to 500. I assume that since the temp limit setting is higher by default, it would possibly shut off my pre if at 500Mhz it reached that temp. Am I close?
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I can't find explanations of what temp limit and temp reset do. I think from what I've read that temp reset will back my cpu down to 500. I assume that since the temp limit setting is higher by default, it would possibly shut off my pre if at 500Mhz it reached that temp. Am I close?
    Temp limit is the temperature at which your device will be clamped at 500MHz.

Temp reset is the temperature at which the clamping will be removed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just got a Palm Pre today, looking to increase the battery life and Govnah seems like the best option. Just a few questions.

If I don't plan on overclocking is Uberkernel still required? I wasn't sure if Uberkernel is necessary for Govnah to work at all, or only to unlock speeds over 500mhz.

Is it possible to set screenstate to custom values? The wiki made it sound like 500+ are the only options.

As of WebOS 1.4.5 is the OMAP3430 still locked at 500mhz always, or has Palm enabled dynamic voltage/frequency scaling already? It's hard to find this information with Google since many of the articles can be over a year old.

I'm satisfied with the speed of the phone at default settings, but not with the battery life I'm getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by shytface View Post
    Just got a Palm Pre today, looking to increase the battery life and Govnah seems like the best option. Just a few questions.

If I don't plan on overclocking is Uberkernel still required? I wasn't sure if Uberkernel is necessary for Govnah to work at all, or only to unlock speeds over 500mhz.

Is it possible to set screenstate to custom values? The wiki made it sound like 500+ are the only options.

As of WebOS 1.4.5 is the OMAP3430 still locked at 500mhz always, or has Palm enabled dynamic voltage/frequency scaling already? It's hard to find this information with Google since many of the articles can be over a year old.

I'm satisfied with the speed of the phone at default settings, but not with the battery life I'm getting.
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with Govnah to increase battery
    life.

You should probably check out the battery savings threads before trying govnah for battery life purposes.

However, the only thing I can see increasing battery life by using govnah in combination with a custom kernel is:
    1) Underclock when idle.
    If your looking for this then you will need a custom kernel that supports frequencies <500mhz. I think uberkernel supports this but check the thread and wiki first.
    2) Under-volt the Pre.
    If you want to do this then you again need a custom kernel that supports it. I believe that uberkernel does not support this yet. You would need one of the testing kernels.

One of the testing kernels also tests out wild battery saving techniques, but it is often at the the expense of stability on the Pre. I'm not aware how successful it is, but do remember that it is a alpha testing kernel.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with Govnah to increase battery
    life.

You should probably check out the battery savings threads before trying govnah for battery life purposes.

However, the only thing I can see increasing battery life by using govnah in combination with a custom kernel is:
    1) Underclock when idle.
    If your looking for this then you will need a custom kernel that supports frequencies <500mhz. I think uberkernel supports this but check the thread and wiki first.
    2) Under-volt the Pre.
    If you want to do this then you again need a custom kernel that supports it. I believe that uberkernel does not support this yet. You would need one of the testing kernels.

One of the testing kernels also tests out wild battery saving techniques, but it is often at the the expense of stability on the Pre. I'm not aware how successful it is, but do remember that it is a alpha testing kernel.

Pip
    I was planning on underclocking when not doing anything CPU intensive. Youtube is probably the heaviest load my phone will ever see. Most of the time it will remain idle, I hardly make/receive calls and send maybe 1-2 texts a day. My old phone was a Sanyo SCP-8400 so the fact that I can browse the web or Youtube at all is like a revelation, I'm not a power user. I was also hoping to use screenstate to lower the clockspeed to around 125-250mhz when the screen is off and maybe 400mhz or so on, then manually setting 500mhz when launching the web app. My Sanyo could idle for 4-5 days before needing a charge, from what I've seen so far I don't think my Pre could make it 24 hours.
    I was planning on underclocking when not doing anything CPU intensive. Youtube is probably the heaviest load my phone will ever see. Most of the time it will remain idle, I hardly make/receive calls and send maybe 1-2 texts a day. My old phone was a Sanyo SCP-8400 so the fact that I can browse the web or Youtube at all is like a revelation, I'm not a power user. I was also hoping to use screenstate to lower the clockspeed to around 125-250mhz when the screen is off and maybe 400mhz or so on, then manually setting 500mhz when launching the web app. My Sanyo could idle for 4-5 days before needing a charge, from what I've seen so far I don't think my Pre could make it 24 hours.
    400 is not possible, the OPP allows for 125 and 250mhz. But keep in mind that not all Pre's can handle those frequencies, you would need to test your Pre out.
    Also if you get comfy after using all this stuff you could test one of the kernels that allow under volting.

Apologies for detracting from the prupose of this thread, but if you are not a power user you should consider battery saving tips such as turning gps completely off, email set to manual, data connection patch and turn data off when not using the web. Stick to wifi networks etc, check the numerous threads.
    As a side note, you should be super happy if you get 24hours, these things are power hungry and that is expected. I recommend a spare battery and stocking up on Touchstones if your that worried about your batt life.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    400 is not possible, the OPP allows for 125 and 250mhz. But keep in mind that not all Pre's can handle those frequencies, you would need to test your Pre out.
    Also if you get comfy after using all this stuff you could test one of the kernels that allow under volting.

Apologies for detracting from the prupose of this thread, but if you are not a power user you should consider battery saving tips such as turning gps completely off, email set to manual, data connection patch and turn data off when not using the web. Stick to wifi networks etc, check the numerous threads.
    As a side note, you should be super happy if you get 24hours, these things are power hungry and that is expected. I recommend a spare battery and stocking up on Touchstones if your that worried about your batt life.

Pip
    Thanks for the info. Does it go 125, 250, straight to 500 with no in between? Hoping my phone can handle at least 250 if that's the case.

I've already lowered the brightness all the way, screen shuts off after 30s, e-mail is set to manual, I switch to Wi-Fi before launching any data apps, GPS was already off but I wasn't aware of the Palm Backup settings so I just turned that off. Battery is still draining pretty rapidly though, it's gone down 3-4% within maybe 15 minutes of it just sitting on my desk with the screen off.

The battery on my Sanyo drained very quickly when making a call, but I don't actually spend much time in calls so it could still idle for several days. I'd expect the same from even a phone as powerful as the Pre, especially considering it has a much larger capacity battery. I'm hoping the only reason it drains so quickly in comparison to the Sanyo is because it's constantly running at 500mhz, which I don't need it to do at all.
    Thanks for the info. Does it go 125, 250, straight to 500 with no in between? Hoping my phone can handle at least 250 if that's the case.

I've already lowered the brightness all the way, screen shuts off after 30s, e-mail is set to manual, I switch to Wi-Fi before launching any data apps, GPS was already off but I wasn't aware of the Palm Backup settings so I just turned that off. Battery is still draining pretty rapidly though, it's gone down 3-4% within maybe 15 minutes of it just sitting on my desk with the screen off.

The battery on my Sanyo drained very quickly when making a call, but I don't actually spend much time in calls so it could still idle for several days. I'd expect the same from even a phone as powerful as the Pre, especially considering it has a much larger capacity battery. I'm hoping the only reason it drains so quickly in comparison to the Sanyo is because it's constantly running at 500mhz, which I don't need it to do at all.
    If you are using a screenstate governor then it will be at 125/250 when screen is off then go straight to 500 when screen is on.

Webos-internals pulled their logging patch but you could try Jason R's patch to change logging to minimal. This might have a positive effect.
    I also recommend turning your data off if your not using it and just using voice.
    If your getting high battery drain during idle times then you may have background processes running on some apps, try to disble them if they serve no purpose to you. Lumberjack from Preware could be used to figure out if you have a background processes running.
    1-2 percent drain when idle is pretty good. And keep in mind that it will take your battery a few charge cycles to be fully optimised.
    You can also the app battery monitor to test batt life on the different configurations you try.
    The power consumptions on the pre is huge, you should really not expect great battery life.

Pip