Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I have sprint pre,,over 40 patches and running same os,and having no issues,,so I don't think that has anything to do with why that is happening
    My perception (no way to do side by side tests) is that UberKernel with Govnah is slower than SPK was. It is only when scrolling in launcher pages or swiping across to change pages.

I have 6 pages, and some of them are VERY full of icons. Easily more than 100 apps.

A. Has anyone seen sloweness/jerkyness in the launcher more so than they did with SPK?

B Has anyone seen better behavior with specific settings, or with a different scaling app?

C. Does anyone have insight into the best practice for # of launcher pages and/or # of apps per launcher page?

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Managing icons and pages is nasty compared to the lists/category method used in PalmOS (Palm/HP are you reading this?) but I will take the time to organize them if it will reduce the jitter I am seeing with UberKernel/Govnah.

Ideas?
    From my experience so far the launcher is quick and responsive. I also have xan's Faster card Animations patch, I have 5 pages and 5x5 icons.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Can someone tell me which settings in Govnah would be similar to what the 1st generation 800 MHz patch did?

I read about the Powersave and Performance governors, and from what I understand, they each set the frequency to a static setting, whether it's the highest or lowest from what you choose. However, if it's a static speed, why do you choose 2 values (high and low) for these governors?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Can someone tell me which settings in Govnah would be similar to what the 1st generation 800 MHz patch did?

I read about the Powersave and Performance governors, and from what I understand, they each set the frequency to a static setting, whether it's the highest or lowest from what you choose. However, if it's a static speed, why do you choose 2 values (high and low) for these governors?
    I would ignore the powersave and performance governors.
    For the scenario you are describing, it would seem that you would prefer the screenstate governor. You can set the min @ 500 and the max @ 800.
    When the screen is "on"; CPU freq will operate @ 800 MHx. When the screen is off, it will scale down to 500Mhz.

I am assuming you are using the uberkernel here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    For the scenario you are describing, it would seem that you would prefer the screenstate governor. You can set the min @ 500 and the max @ 800.
    When the screen is "on"; CPU freq will operate @ 800 MHx. When the screen is off, it will scale down to 500Mhz.

Yes I am currently using the screenstate governor at 500/800. I am just curious about the other governors and after reading the explanations, I still don't understand why it requires setting 2 values for a governor that sets a single static speed.

didnt the 1st gen 800 mhz kernal operate everything (screen on and screen off) at 800 mhz?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    didnt the 1st gen 800 mhz kernal operate everything (screen on and screen off) at 800 mhz?
    Don't know; never used it.
    Yes it did. Do you know what settings in Govnah would do that?
    Don't know; never used it.
    oh i did use it, but bc the development got stopped....im using uber kernal and cpu scaler ultimate but im not scaling it...i have it set at set speed at 800mhz... which is how the 1st gen 800mhz worked... it was at 800 mhz the whole time....never scaled down

Update: i have it at set speed bc i was using spk with cpu scaler ultimate and was scaling from 250-800 and twice this morning my phone was frozen for hours till i noticed it woke up....so i changed to uber kernal + cpu scaler ultimate and started scaling again but i noticed way too many lags so i have it at set speed 800mhz, no scaling and havent run into trouble
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

oh i did use it, but bc the development got stopped....im using uber kernal and cpu scaler ultimate but im not scaling it...i have it set at set speed at 800mhz... which is how the 1st gen 800mhz worked... it was at 800 mhz the whole time....never scaled down

Update: i have it at set speed bc i was using spk with cpu scaler ultimate and was scaling from 250-800 and twice this morning my phone was frozen for hours till i noticed it woke up....so i changed to uber kernal + cpu scaler ultimate and started scaling again but i noticed way too many lags so i have it at set speed 800mhz, no scaling and havent run into trouble
    Do you know how to set this using Govnah instead of CPU Scaler ultimate? I want a constant 800 MHz at all times.
    Do you know how to set this using Govnah instead of CPU Scaler ultimate? I want a constant 800 MHz at all times.
    dont know but im guessing wut u can do is set it to userspace and have it max at 800 and min at 800 and thats it...but in reality not sure...i would use cpuscaler ultimate which has an option to save ur setting on reboot....govnah doesnt do that yet
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    My perception (no way to do side by side tests) is that UberKernel with Govnah is slower than SPK was. It is only when scrolling in launcher pages or swiping across to change pages.

A. Has anyone seen sloweness/jerkyness in the launcher more so than they did with SPK?

Yes. I uninstalled the old ipk (not SPK, basically the same thing) to install UberKernal/Govnah for the screenstate app as I'm tired of getting drunk, passing out somewhere without a charger and waking up to a dead phone. I thought screenstate sounded perfect.

I was way wrong.

Any setting I use on Govnah makes my phone run like its running at 500mhz. Yes, I installed everything correctly. I don't know what it is, but I can't get the thing to run like SPK did, and SPK was absolutely incredible. At this point, I'd trade back for SPK, but since I just found out that it won't be supported in future versions of WebOS... I'm gonna have to get used to something.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    How did the Govnah thread become the UberKernal thread? lol

I don't know how you guys do it.

Love the changes Oil! Keep up the great work.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.

I have 6 pages, and some of them are VERY full of icons. Easily more than 100 apps.

I have 5 launcher pages (25 apps on page one and two and about 15 on each of the others, this includes all preloaded apps). I personally don't see any sluggishness in scrolling or page switching unless the current cpu freq is 125 but as soon as it jumps up it is as smooth or smoother than stock. I have used both kernels for at least one month each and see no distinguishable difference as is to be expected.

B Has anyone seen better behavior with specific settings, or with a different scaling app?
    I'd start with running at the fix max of 800 or scale between 500 and 800 (if using the ondemand to scale be sure to set power save bias to 1 to trick the governor into not ignoring the min setting). See how your experiences go. Adjust the min down and see if the sluggishness returns. If it does then avoid using settings that drop the freq below the stock 500 and set the max to whatever you prefer up to the current 800.

C. Does anyone have insight into the best practice for # of launcher pages and/or # of apps per launcher page?
    I can't imagine that this would matter any because until you hit an insane amount like maybe 100s of apps on a single page the amount of data to load on the page would be insignificant. Eack icon is only a few KB each which is practically all of the data to load when the page is accessed. And for practical purposes a launcher page is just a glorified web page because like apps it runs JSJSJS $to$ $performs$ $tasks$ $related$ $to$ $the$ $app$ $icons$.

I would appreciate any and all feedback. Managing icons and pages is nasty compared to the lists/category method used in PalmOS (Palm/HP are you reading this?) but I will take the time to organize them if it will reduce the jitter I am seeing with UberKernel/Govnah.

Ideas?
    I personally prefer to limit how many icons are on a single launcher page to what fits on the screen. Which is why I modified the 5x4 launcher to make the 5x5 launcher. 25 apps on a page is a nice round number for me. i put my most frequently used apps in the first two pages. Games on the third and misc app occationally used on the forth and unused ones on the fifth (most of the preloaded stuff which I so rarely use like help, screen and lock, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    From my experience so far the launcher is quick and responsive. I also have xan's Faster card Animations patch, I have 5 pages and 5x5 icons.
    Best options to do this would be change setspeed in userspace to 800 or use performance governor which is designed to run always at the max speed setting.

Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Yes. I uninstalled the old ipk (not SPK, basically the same thing) to install UberKernal/Govnah for the screenstate app as I'm tired of getting drunk, passing out somewhere without a charger and waking up to a dead phone. I thought screenstate sounded perfect.

I was way wrong.

Any setting I use on Govnah makes my phone run like its running at 500mhz. Yes, I installed everything correctly. I don't know what it is, but I can't get the thing to run like SPK did, and SPK was absolutely incredible. At this point, I'd trade back for SPK, but since I just found out that it won't be supported in future versions of WebOS... I'm gonna have to get used to something.
    Hvae you verified if it is indeed not running at the correct speeds after changing and saving the settings in govnah? You can do this with a variety of command lines like "cat /proc/cpuinfo" or one of the others that have been posted about here and there I can't recall them offhand.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Hvae you verified if it is indeed not running at the correct speeds after changing and saving the settings in govnah? You can do this with a variety of command lines like "cat /proc/cpuinfo" or one of the others that have been posted about here and there I can't recall them offhand.
    Thanks. I'll be doing that soon here. Had to Doctor my Pre just now... Probably good that I do it though after coming off an old kernal, just really annoying. At least I'm getting good at it. But I'll check with the terminal, thanks.
    The Doctor seems to have helped.

I'm sure the phone was running at 800mhz before, didn't happen to check before everything got screwed up. However, I did check it this time and it said its running at 800. It does feel smoother than before I ran Govnah, but the page scrolling/flipping seemed to still be a little bit of an issue. Not nearly the smoothness of SPK, but if UK is gonna be updated through WebOS versions, I'm on board.

I'll need to play with it for a bit more though to make sure everything is running ok, but for now at least I'm not stuck with that slow 500mhz, I'll never go back.

I was way wrong.

Try the Uber-Kernel with Govnah set at userspace 500 Min, 800 Max and 800 Set speed. Seems to work very nicely.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    The Doctor seems to have helped.

I'm sure the phone was running at 800mhz before, didn't happen to check before everything got screwed up. However, I did check it this time and it said its running at 800. It does feel smoother than before I ran Govnah, but the page scrolling/flipping seemed to still be a little bit of an issue. Not nearly the smoothness of SPK, but if UK is gonna be updated through WebOS versions, I'm on board.

I'll need to play with it for a bit more though to make sure everything is running ok, but for now at least I'm not stuck with that slow 500mhz, I'll never go back.
    Are you leaving the Govnah application open during these comparative tests, or closing it?

Note that you do not need to leave the Govnah application open, and because it is continuously polling for temperature, frequency and load values, and updating graphs, just running it will probably have a periodic impact on the performance and responsiveness of page scrolling.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    by the way, lets not get defensive when someone compares to SPK. It's the only imperical reference point any of us have, and it gives us the only comparative info many of us can offer.

I'm sure it is even less helpful if I were to pop in every few days and tell you 'hmm, seems slow'.

if I can at least compare it to something others can use, surely that's better than a generic 'seems slow'

thx
Page 4 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast