Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Remember that if you don't want to be alpha testing bleeding edge new Govnah or UberKernel features, now is the time to turn off those testing feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Fixed in 0.6.3

-- Rod
    That must be the fastest fix ever!

Seriously - of course i realize that the upgrading process was just some unlucky timing on my side.

Thanks for all of your great work!
    Govnah 0.6.4 in the testing feed now has support for the cpufreq override module in profiles, and can also make those settings sticky.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Just downloaded it. I think I liked the subtitle better back in 0.6.1.

Screenstate seems to work properly, temps monitor. Battery draw seems to be improved with this plus Warthog's -87. Hopefully nothing changes. The profile system seems to be working alright as well (though since my Pre is a cool runner, I've not needed the temp limiter yet.)

What's the VDD1 VSEL line for by the way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just downloaded it. I think I liked the subtitle better back in 0.6.1.
    You know they are random, right?

-- Rod
    Nope, I actually just always saw the cowbell one, must be luck that I saw it several times in a row.
    is there a way to have an option for the pre to be on its factory state when it is on the touchstone?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    ModeSwitcher combined with Govnah will be the best way to do that.

-- Rod
    That is a VERY good idea. Think I'll set mine up to actually run at 250 while connected to BT and on the charger since its only runs REALLY hot when I have it streaming music on BT while charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithnet View Post
    That is a VERY good idea. Think I'll set mine up to actually run at 250 while connected to BT and on the charger since its only runs REALLY hot when I have it streaming music on BT while charging.

Before you go jumping in a start thinking that slower CPU == cooler/less power, you may want to read up on the "Race To Idle" condition.

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/applications-power-management/race-to-idle.php

M.
    Just from personal experience, its the difference between a 56c and a 48c temp. I couldn't care less about power usage, thats why its on the charger. 1hr commute each way == creative use of Pre capabilties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Before you go jumping in a start thinking that slower CPU == cooler/less power, you may want to read up on the "Race To Idle" condition.

LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux

M.
    Actually, if you're keeping the CPU active by continuously streaming music, then running at a lower CPU speed is likely to be beneficial, cause the CPU is not going to go to idle when you're streaming music on the touchstone.

-- Rod
    cause the CPU is not going to go to idle

That is a fantastic point. I was thinking that if, at those lower speeds, the proc is already mostly pegged from decoding an MP* steam, it's going to have to work overtime to keep up with all the other background stuff it does (TCP connection tracking, mailbox polling, web page rendering, etc.).

I dunno. You're probably right...

...as usual.

:-)

M.
    Govnah 0.6.3 is in the testing feed, with support for changing the temperature safety limits in UberKernel, and other more dangerous things in some of the other testing kernels.

-- Rod
    I like those "dangerous" changes for some of us, but I just hope the forum can handle the questions when things go awry...
    i have noticed my pre running cooler than it used... with the older 800 mhz oc's..

My pre gets hot after the obvious heavy streaming... gaming...etc.

When pre gets hot... i open slider.... crank the AC in my car and stick the pre in the vents( fits perfect) ... it drops from 40c.... down to the teens.... in a matter of minutes..

Heat is the enemy!

at home... i pop in the fridge for 10 minutes....
    ModeSwitcher combined with Govnah will be the best way to do that.

-- Rod
    is that in preware? Can you pls point me to where that is?

just to report, I have been using the kernel and govnah for the whole day and it feels great. Runs cool too.

UPDATE: I noticed some screen flickering when playing need for speed and some facebook videos. It goes away after a while. Just reporting

I am usong govnah 0.6.1 with uberkerel 1.4.1-87
    Last edited by johnj2803; 08/03/2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Newbe to overclocking here.

One of the oh-so-cool moderators (the guy with the big "G" as his avatar) recomended Uberkernel and of course Govnah to control it.

He said to stick with the "released" version to play it safe.

I want to state right here and right now: this one combo has changed my mind about my Pre. I was just about to move to the EVO - mostly for speed reasons, but now, I can say, I'm falling back in love with my Pre - REALLY!

Still not totaly in love with the quality of the hardware but hearing that webOS 2.0 will be out this year makes me believe, this is the BEST mobile OS on the market today.

To this whole team and the Preware team and all the patch crew - a thousand times - thank you!

I hope someone at Palm is paying attention because the juice you guys put into this phone has made all the difference in the world to me.

Thank you again.

- Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    is that in preware? Can you pls point me to where that is?

just to report, I have been using the kernel and govnah for the whole day and it feels great. Runs cool too.

UPDATE: I noticed some screen flickering when playing need for speed and some facebook videos. It goes away after a while. Just reporting

I am usong govnah 0.6.1 with uberkerel 1.4.1-87
    Are you leaving Govnah open all the time? Or do you have the "Update Launcher Icon" option turned on? If so close it (and turn off the option) and see if the flickering goes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Are you leaving Govnah open all the time? Or do you have the "Update Launcher Icon" option turned on? If so close it (and turn off the option) and see if the flickering goes away.
    no to both of the questions. i flick off the app and the update launcher icon is off.

any help?

i have set my govnah to ondemand 250/800 with 32 mb switch thing if that helps anything.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    no to both of the questions. i flick off the app and the update launcher icon is off.

any help?

i have set my govnah to ondemand 250/800 with 32 mb switch thing if that helps anything.
    Ondemand is the problem. We should just remove it from the advanced options. Don't use it.

-- Rod