Page 37 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041424787 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 1910
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #721  
    Thanks for the info/advice on my temp and battery issue yesterday. Now my question is this. If it continues to heat up and drain like that (the temp is nice and low right now in a/c) and I need to remove Uberkernal and Govnah and live with my TMC error do I just remove them and things revert back to the way Palm had them or what? Would I have to DR the phone to get it back to factory? Thanks.

    Melissa
  2. #722  
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Thanks for the info/advice on my temp and battery issue yesterday. Now my question is this. If it continues to heat up and drain like that (the temp is nice and low right now in a/c) and I need to remove Uberkernal and Govnah and live with my TMC error do I just remove them and things revert back to the way Palm had them or what? Would I have to DR the phone to get it back to factory? Thanks.

    Melissa

    Best thing to do after installing a different kernel, or you're seeing crazy power drain is to cleanly shutdown the phone and pull the battery out for half a minute or so.

    ONLY rebooting *any* computer does not completly reset the hardware. The only way to do that is to drain it of electrons. The only way to do that (in devices like this) is to shut it down and pull the battery.


    M.
  3. #723  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Best thing to do after installing a different kernel, or you're seeing crazy power drain is to cleanly shutdown the phone and pull the battery out for half a minute or so.

    ONLY rebooting *any* computer does not completly reset the hardware. The only way to do that is to drain it of electrons. The only way to do that (in devices like this) is to shut it down and pull the battery.


    M.
    Ok it actually happened again just a little bit ago. Went up to 52C. I never got a warning and came inside in the a/c and its cooled down. I actually wasnt even using the phone when it got to that temp today. I picked it up to look at the Weather Channel and realized how hot it felt so I checked the temp. It was sitting on a very cool metal table in the shade at the time. Problem is we are going camping next weekend and coming into the a/c isnt going to be an option so Im thinking removing Uberkernal and Govnah are my best bet. Question is how do I get the phone back to the way it was before installing them? Can I simply delete the both of them and it will revert back to normal or do I have to DR? I would prefer not to DR but will if need be. Such a bummer since they totally fixed my TMC error.

    Melissa
  4. #724  
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Ok it actually happened again just a little bit ago. Went up to 52C. I never got a warning and came inside in the a/c and its cooled down. I actually wasnt even using the phone when it got to that temp today. I picked it up to look at the Weather Channel and realized how hot it felt so I checked the temp. It was sitting on a very cool metal table in the shade at the time. Problem is we are going camping next weekend and coming into the a/c isnt going to be an option so Im thinking removing Uberkernal and Govnah are my best bet. Question is how do I get the phone back to the way it was before installing them? Can I simply delete the both of them and it will revert back to normal or do I have to DR? I would prefer not to DR but will if need be. Such a bummer since they totally fixed my TMC error.

    Melissa
    I'm going camping tomorrow! Will be kinda off line till Sunday afternoon. I'll have my trusty Pre with me and I should be able to keep it charged (kinda).

    Anyway,

    It kind sounds like you're in serious need of taking your phone to the Doctor. Even in direct sunlight in the 95+ degree heat that's it's been here (near Philly) for the past few weeks, I don't see temps like that.

    Actually I just put UberKernel on my Pre fir the first time in months (I needed to take some screen shots for the Wiki) and am kinda shocked at how cool it runs. I'm not used to it. It's sitting at 34C right now and it's plugged in! I'm inside in the AC, but the other kernels would still be sitting in the high 40's right now.


    M.
  5. #725  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'm going camping tomorrow! Will be kinda off line till Sunday afternoon. I'll have my trusty Pre with me and I should be able to keep it charged (kinda).

    Anyway,

    It kind sounds like you're in serious need of taking your phone to the Doctor. Even in direct sunlight in the 95+ degree heat that's it's been here (near Philly) for the past few weeks, I don't see temps like that.

    Actually I just put UberKernel on my Pre fir the first time in months (I needed to take some screen shots for the Wiki) and am kinda shocked at how cool it runs. I'm not used to it. It's sitting at 34C right now and it's plugged in! I'm inside in the AC, but the other kernels would still be sitting in the high 40's right now.


    M.
    Ok thank you. Im going to keep an eye on it for the rest of the day and see what it does. Its only at 32C right now. Granted Im inside with the a/c blasting but its charging so I expect to see it higher. If it gets above 48C again Ill make a run to the DR. My usb cable crapped out on me but I ordered a new one. Should be here today. If not I can use the one for my Blackberry. Thanks again and have a nice trip!

    Melissa
  6. #726  
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Ok thank you. Im going to keep an eye on it for the rest of the day and see what it does. Its only at 32C right now. Granted Im inside with the a/c blasting but its charging so I expect to see it higher. If it gets above 48C again Ill make a run to the DR. My usb cable crapped out on me but I ordered a new one. Should be here today. If not I can use the one for my Blackberry. Thanks again and have a nice trip!

    Melissa

    I haven't used a BlackBerry in a year-and-a-half or so, but the ports were very different (I only had the Curve, though).

    Having the thing jump up to 48C for a little while while browsing the intertubes, watching YouTube, etc., that isn't a big deal. If it's sitting on a desk unplugged with the screen off in the AC and you turn it on and that's what it says, then there's an issue.




    M.
  7. #727  
    Originally Posted by Beach447
    is there a setting that can change this behaviour?



    At the moment there is not.


    -- Rod



    I love this setting: Stock 500mhz charging, and kernel mhz being used not charging. Awesome!
  8. #728  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I haven't used a BlackBerry in a year-and-a-half or so, but the ports were very different (I only had the Curve, though).

    Having the thing jump up to 48C for a little while while browsing the intertubes, watching YouTube, etc., that isn't a big deal. If it's sitting on a desk unplugged with the screen off in the AC and you turn it on and that's what it says, then there's an issue.




    M.
    Ok thank you. So far in the a/c just charging my temps stay very low. Even playing games in the a/c Im good. Its outside that seems to be the issue. Ill keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Ill be bringing the laptop with me camping so if I need to do an emergency DR it wont be a big deal.

    As for the usb yes the older BB ports are the larger ones. My new BB the port is the same as the Pre. My husbands is not the same tho and his BB is only slightly older than mine. Ive been using my BB charger for about a week now since my Pre one bit the dust.

    Melissa
  9. #729  
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Ok thank you. So far in the a/c just charging my temps stay very low. Even playing games in the a/c Im good. Its outside that seems to be the issue. Ill keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Ill be bringing the laptop with me camping so if I need to do an emergency DR it wont be a big deal.

    As for the usb yes the older BB ports are the larger ones. My new BB the port is the same as the Pre. My husbands is not the same tho and his BB is only slightly older than mine. Ive been using my BB charger for about a week now since my Pre one bit the dust.

    Melissa
    You don't have to stop using uber kernel and govnah if using an overcocked speed is contributing to your high temperatures you can set it to use palm's default userspace configuration and still benefit from the TMC fix and even compcache or any other new or future custom configuration options. If you aren't overclocking and you are seeing those high temperatures then I would definitely go the doctor route and try the kernel and govnah again. Make sure you update your saved package list in preware and use save/restore to backup as much application data as possible (assuming you have an app or two not supported yet) before doing the doctor so you have a backup of those apps data etc and be able to quickly get all of the stuff that is not part of the app catalog back onto your device. You can also copy the save/restore backup and anything else on the USB drive part to your pc/laptop/netbook for safe keeping just in case.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  10. ccdoss's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #730  
    I have installed Govnah and UberKernel, but am unable to address TMC. How do you make changes so it uses the new algorithms? I've gone to the wiki page, but it doesn't say anything on how to configure compcache. BTW, the images on the wiki are different than the one on my computer (no memory tab on mine).
  11. #731  
    I am not sure if Uberkenel completely disables TMC like unix's kernels, I think Rod left it in for a final warning. To enable compcache in govnah you need to click on the profile then you will see an advanced settings click on compressed swap and you can enable or disable compcache.
  12. #732  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdoss View Post
    I have installed Govnah and UberKernel, but am unable to address TMC. How do you make changes so it uses the new algorithms? I've gone to the wiki page, but it doesn't say anything on how to configure compcache. BTW, the images on the wiki are different than the one on my computer (no memory tab on mine).
    What version do you have installed? The latest version is 0.6.1 much older version didn't contain compcache. I updated the wiki page to include instructions and info on the compressed swap (compcache) settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I am not sure if Uberkenel completely disables TMC like unix's kernels, I think Rod left it in for a final warning. To enable compcache in govnah you need to click on the profile then you will see an advanced settings click on compressed swap and you can enable or disable compcache.
    Correct it does not disable it but rather contains a correction in the code to match the intended check for when to give TMC error. Basically before it was in error and didn't count something in the math which meant TMC went into effect before there was no room for more to load. In addition comcache allows for even more room. So in a nut shell most people will see TMC less or not at all depending on if it was a memory leak(s) or the error in code that resulted in TMC. But there is still a limit of space and eventually either by loading many apps or as a result of a memory leak(s) one will get TMC but this time when space is really all used up rather than prematurely.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  13. #733  
    I haven't seen a TMC in months, till I started playing around with ScummVM.
  14. Bigfire's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    #734  
    Have recently found that my speed reverts to 500 no matter what setting I use in Govnah. Have not had any issues for a couple weeks, but used to see instability like this more often before the past update. Is this a Govnah issue? Generally I soft reset, and am doing a battery pull now, but is that the only way to fix this periodic issue?
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

    Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
  15. #735  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Have recently found that my speed reverts to 500 no matter what setting I use in Govnah. Have not had any issues for a couple weeks, but used to see instability like this more often before the past update. Is this a Govnah issue? Generally I soft reset, and am doing a battery pull now, but is that the only way to fix this periodic issue?
    Govnah will revert to default Palm settings if you have an unclean shutdown.

    -- Rod
  16. #736  
    I just installed Uberkernel and Govnah last night and it seems cool (pun intended) for now.

    My question is: I've noticed in some screenshots here on the forums that the Govnah icon in the launcher has the current temp. That would be great, but mine does not have it. How do I get the icon to show the temp without opening the app itself?

    Thanks!

    UPDATE" Nevermind, I found the answer: just go to Govnah's Preferences and switch it on etc.

    NEW Question: but what is the "USE DASHBOARD" feature; the reason I ask is it's gray and I cannot switch it on to find out.
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 08/01/2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: found answer/new question
  17. #737  
    love the new Govnah!!!
    can someone kindly explain or direct me towards the meaning of I/O scheduler and TCP Congestion? That is, if they affect us at all.

    The webosinternals Govnah page mentions them in a screenshot, but not in defining them.

    Thanks



    Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
  18. #738  
    Pre (non +) with 1.4.5

    I just upgraded Govnah to 0.6.2, then UberKernel to 1.4.5-87, then rebooted the phone.

    When i start Govnah now, it tells me that it's in profile "unknown" (in fact it's in ondemand 500/800)

    Tapping "profile" shows me the predefined profiles, but tapping on a profile then does nothing.

    Selecting "Advanced" gives me the usual choices, but when i try to change the governor i get the error "Invalid or missing overrideParams array"

    Changing compcache, i/o schduler and congestion works.

    I didn't try to delete and reinstall govnah yet. Any ideas?

    Thanks.
  19. #739  
    Govnah 0.6.3 is in the testing feed, with support for changing the temperature safety limits in UberKernel, and other more dangerous things in some of the other testing kernels.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #740  
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Pre (non +) with 1.4.5

    I just upgraded Govnah to 0.6.2, then UberKernel to 1.4.5-87, then rebooted the phone.

    When i start Govnah now, it tells me that it's in profile "unknown" (in fact it's in ondemand 500/800)

    Tapping "profile" shows me the predefined profiles, but tapping on a profile then does nothing.

    Selecting "Advanced" gives me the usual choices, but when i try to change the governor i get the error "Invalid or missing overrideParams array"

    Changing compcache, i/o schduler and congestion works.

    I didn't try to delete and reinstall govnah yet. Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    Fixed in 0.6.3

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Posting Permissions