Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940414686 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I have a couple Eagle Scout Board of Reviews to do tonight.

M.
    Congratulate the eagle scouts for me from another eagle scout. It is quite an accomplishment that so few see it through.

Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Thanks!! I can't beleive Mr. Whitby tried to hide this from me like that!! I'm old, don't even own a Nintendo DS, you youngsters should keep things like they were way back in the beginning... four or five months ago....

Oops! My PRe crashed when I tried to set uberkernel and userspace to compcache 32MB!
    This is one of the many benefits of software testing. You get to be there for all of the changes cosmetic and functional. In the grand scheme it is actually better that the "advanced settings" are where they are instead of in multiple locations. Not only is the interface cleaner looking it is more organized. The more profession looking an app is the more people are attracted to using it. Plus that demonstrates the quality of the developer(s) working on the project. Which reminds me of a video I seen about free and open source software and how some projects exceed quality and expectations when compared to commercial software that does the same thing. One would expect the commercial software to be superior. Anyways I don't remember the title or whatnot to track the video down but it is a good one to see.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I updated Govnah to v0.6.1 and uberkernel to v1.4.1-74, screenstate 250/800 worked fine for about a day and a half and now it hangs on waking, had to pull battery and set to screenstate 500/800...sprint pre 1.4.1.1 screen brightness set to 25%...really want to go back to 250/800 battery life was way better...any ideas???
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    I updated Govnah to v0.6.1 and uberkernel to v1.4.1-74, screenstate 250/800 worked fine for about a day and a half and now it hangs on waking, had to pull battery and set to screenstate 500/800...sprint pre 1.4.1.1 screen brightness set to 25%...really want to go back to 250/800 battery life was way better...any ideas???
    Your Pre might simply just not like <500mhz
    You can probably test further but I would say the best thing to do is not underclock.

Pip
    it worked for a day and a half though, and battery life almost doubled (my pre is asleep alot during the day), would love to get it working again....
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Installed the latest versions of the above. I was using screenstate profile with min freq = 500 and max freq = 800 and things were working fine before.

However, now with the latest govnah version, i am having problems with the correct freq. Even with screenstate range set to 500/800, I see 500 when the display is on and screen is not locked. Once in a while it works ok for a few minutes. For example, if i use fixed 800 and then change it to screenstate it uses 800 as expected. After some short time, it reverts back to 500 with display still on. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks
    Have you noticed this after you pull the phone off of the charger? I am having the same problem. If i restart luna then everything runs as its supposed to. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lsvteg11 View Post
    Have you noticed this after you pull the phone off of the charger? I am having the same problem. If i restart luna then everything runs as its supposed to. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    I am having the same problem. What I have noticed is that if you leave Govnah open and put it on the touchstone, it automatically reverts to 500, but when you pull it off the touchstone, it goes back up to 800. I don't remember it doing this before the latest update. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    What I have noticed is that if you leave Govnah open and put it on the touchstone, it automatically reverts to 500, but when you pull it off the touchstone, it goes back up to 800. I don't remember it doing this before the latest update. Any ideas?
    That intentional behaviour is a function of the screenstate kernel governor you have selected in the kernel that you have installed, and happens irrespective of whether you have Govnah open or not. See the changelog for the kernel you are running (it's available by clicking on the kernel icon).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    [QUOTE=rwhitby;2576371]That intentional behaviour is a function of the screenstate kernel governor you have selected in the kernel that you have installed, and happens irrespective of whether you have Govnah open or not. See the changelog for the kernel you are running (it's available by clicking on the kernel icon).

-- Rod[/QUOTE

That explains it...Thanks. Only because I am curious, it there a setting that can change this behaviour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    is there a setting that can change this behaviour?
    At the moment there is not.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At the moment there is not.

-- Rod
    You cleared it all up....Thanks!
    F105 + Govnah worked perfect for me. Now since they've both been updated, I uninstalled the old version, and clean installed the new ones.

Higher temps, screenstate doesn't work, and no option to clock below 500 mhz. I created the settings and saved as new profile, restarted the phone, and the settings don't apply properly, forcing me to recreate the profile.

Also, where can I read up on the options I don't know anything about, such as TCP Congestion, and... I forget the name of the other one and I just uninstalled the Kernel. But the option was "Anticipated"
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    Also, where can I read up on the options I don't know anything about, such as TCP Congestion, and... I forget the name of the other one and I just uninstalled the Kernel. But the option was "Anticipated"

Funny you should ask...

I just saved an overhaul of the Wiki page for Govnah to reflect the (some what) major change in navigation/configuration that came with the newer version of Govnah. It won't answer all your questions yet, but it'll still get you well on your way. I still would like to put some more stuff there (in a more logical order...) but it's almost midnight here and my alarm goes off at 5:20 am...

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

(Please leave comments/suggestions! You can use the "Discussion" tab at the top - or here I guess, but this is more for app support, I think).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    F105 + Govnah worked perfect for me. Now since they've both been updated, I uninstalled the old version, and clean installed the new ones.

Higher temps, screenstate doesn't work, and no option to clock below 500 mhz.
    These are functions of the installed kernel, not of Govnah.

-- Rod
    Rod, any thoughts on why my pre won't wake from 250mhz after a day and a half of working fine set at screenstate 250/800? (see post 703)
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    it worked for a day and a half though, and battery life almost doubled (my pre is asleep alot during the day), would love to get it working again....
    Rod, any thoughts on why my pre won't wake from 250mhz after a day and a half of working fine set at screenstate 250/800? (see post 703)
    Although I'm not Rod this is an indication that the CPU is not running stable at the underclocked frequency. Unfortunately there really isn't anything that I'm aware of that will make it stable either. From my experiencing with this sort of stuff in the PC/laptop/netbook realm a system is not considered stable until it can go days under stress without crashing or hanging. Sounds like you got lucky and the first hang took that day and half to occur.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    How hot is too hot when running Uberkernal and Govnah? The only thing Ive changed is turning on Compcache. With my old Pre I never got above 38c but just now with this Pre I was up to 47c. Is that a problem? At what point is it getting too hot and what do I do to correct it? Thanks.

Melissa

I thought I should add Im in CT and its in the very low 80's here right now. I was outside at the time and my son was playing Need For Speed when I got that temp.

Edit to add: It just went up to 51c and I also noticed my battery went from 94% down to 67% in about 10 mins. I dont recall my battery ever dropping that quickly in the past.
    Last edited by haapala; 07/27/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    I apologize if this question has been asked already; Palm clock the cpu mhz to 500, when playing pdk games, such as NFSU, the mhz frequency goes up to 600mhz. But, when using the touchstone, regular, or computer charging the phone, the mhz goes back to 500. My question is: What frequency do the game run on 500mhz, 600mhz, or the set kernel being used.

I hope my explanation was clear enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    How hot is too hot when running Uberkernal and Govnah? The only thing Ive changed is turning on Compcache. With my old Pre I never got above 38c but just now with this Pre I was up to 47c. Is that a problem? At what point is it getting too hot and what do I do to correct it? Thanks.

Melissa

I thought I should add Im in CT and its in the very low 80's here right now. I was outside at the time and my son was playing Need For Speed when I got that temp.

Edit to add: It just went up to 51c and I also noticed my battery went from 94% down to 67% in about 10 mins. I dont recall my battery ever dropping that quickly in the past.
    Phone temp vary with each phone. Some will experience high heat, while others never go above 42 degrees. If the device get too hot, stop, open up the slider, and let the phone radio board cool down. I've never experience heat above 45 degrees on my phone. If heat issue is constant on the device, you should remove the kernel, and then reinstall on a later day. Sometimes your phone may not be compatible with the kernel installed. You might want to change the kernel setting, to one that work for you.

Best of Luck.
    50C is a good target CPU temperature but even as high as 60C is fine as long as the device is stable and it doesn't cause the battery temperature to exceed the desired temperature. Per battery manufacture warning the battery temperature should not exceed 60C. However due to how temperature effects a batteries lifetime we don't want to even get close to that temperature. I would avoid letting the battery exceed 45C for more than a short time. There is a link floating around to an article that details how much prolonged temperatures above key points reduce the lifetime of batteries.

That does seem high for only 10 minutes of a 3D game unless that is for over a longer period of time. So far in my limited testing 3D games appear to consume 400 to 500 mA/hr. So one theoretically can play up to 3 hours on a fully charged 1150mAh battery.

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I apologize if this question has been asked already; Palm clock the cpu mhz to 500, when playing pdk games, such as NFSU, the mhz frequency goes up to 600mhz. But, when using the touchstone, regular, or computer charging the phone, the mhz goes back to 500. My question is: What frequency do the game run on 500mhz, 600mhz, or the set kernel being used.

I believe I understand the question but not sure I know the answer. Here is what I think the question is: When the device is charging on either the touchstone or usb wall charger will the CPU speed remain at 500 when a PDK game is running or will it increase to 600 like it would when not being charge? I personally have mine set to the fixed speed 800 so I'm running at 800 all the time unless it down clocks to 500 and just isn't showing it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post

The code in LunaSysMgr that Palm uses to change the frequency for PDK apps is only operational if the userspace governor is selected.

-- Rod