Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2530313233343536373839404585 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    General note: I completed my previous testing sequence and am proceeding to update everything to the latest versions as of this posting. I performed 3 hour long running tests of govnah at each interval with the screen on 10% brightness to test for battery consumption amounts. Everything went perfect and I will be following this up with overnight long about 8 hour tests. This will allow me to make sure I'm being as accurate as possible. My conclusion so far is only open govnah on demand if using 15sec or shorter intervals and avoid keeping it running for long term (hours or even a whole day). The longer the interval the less it consumes but at the same time the less useful it will be. At least this is how it is for me. I prefer to use the much shorter interval and open govnah on demand to get a read for a short time and then close it. Once I finish the 8 hour tests I'll post the results for consumption at each interval.

Quote Originally Posted by GridIron21 View Post
    Rod, I'm not sure if you are right person to ask but since govnah is responsible for scaling so I'm going to assume you are the person to ask.. I use SprintNav gps often and every time I use it, I'm constantly worrying about overheating (I already have the temperature warning patch installed).. I often recharge Pre at same time using the gps, which obviously would heat it up more.. It's proving to be tiresome for me.. So, I'm wondering to see if you could somehow program Govnah or whatever program that would automatic scale the speed down to 500, in order to reduce or prevent Pre from heating up? Sort of similar with the idea from Unipsycho with his one of the experimental kernels that automatic scale down to 500 once Pre heats up, but only to apply it to SprintNav? Is that possible, at all?
    While both charging and using GPS you may want to set the clock speed to 500 if your battery temperature exceeds 45C for long periods of time. CPU temperature is a little less of a concern unless it results in instability at which point you would want to avoid exceeding the temperature that causes instability. That will vary between devices but a good target would be 50C and not exceeding 60C for more of an efficiency thing.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 07/25/2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: added stuff i forgot for general reply
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Question, this might have been answered previously but its driving me nuts. So of course with the f104 kernel installed, i expected my battery to drain faster, but thats not why im here. So say i have 30% left and i plug it into the wall to charge my pre plus. if i come back 20 minutes later and unplug the phone, it runs at my lower screenstate setting of 250 mhz until i do a luna restart. Any input?? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Can somebody tell me what is I/O scheduler (I have mine set to CFQ) and TCP congestion (set to Cubic). Other options in I/O are none, anticipatory, deadline. Other options in TCP are reno, bic, westwood, htcp, veno, illinois. or atleast point me to right direction. Thanks
    To actually make an attempt to answer your question rather than just telling you to google it...

Noop will probably be the best choice for flash based devices in terms of your I/O Scheduler. CFQ (completely fair queuing) doesn't make any regard as to what application is in focus and will appear to be slower to real time usage. more information: CFQ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are also links to the other schedulers in there as well if you'd like to read more.

As for the TCP ingestion I'm just leaving mine at Cubic. CUBIC TCP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The latest change Marco made to screenstate is intended to limit the frequency to 500MHz when the device is being charged at 1000mA. Seems to be working perfectly in your case (assuming your car charger is charging at 1000mA)

-- Rod
    Question: is there a way to set the CPU frequency when charging to be even lower than 500?
    I am using the palm touchstone, and the device is screaming "I'm hot" after a bit of charging. I was hoping that a lower CPU frequency setting can help.
    Anybody else update Govnah and now it's not recognizing F105 patch?. It won't let me clock past 800mhz.

Gonna play with it for a while and see if it's the order in which I updated. I updated the F105 too, so it could be that.

<update>
    nevermind. Had to uninstall kernel and reinstall. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Strikerage; 07/25/2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Installed the latest versions of the above. I was using screenstate profile with min freq = 500 and max freq = 800 and things were working fine before.

However, now with the latest govnah version, i am having problems with the correct freq. Even with screenstate range set to 500/800, I see 500 when the display is on and screen is not locked. Once in a while it works ok for a few minutes. For example, if i use fixed 800 and then change it to screenstate it uses 800 as expected. After some short time, it reverts back to 500 with display still on. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks
    I noticed that my F105 kernel wasn't clocking at 1.05Ghz at first. Had to remove and reinstall the kernel. Everything worked fine afterwards.
    .... Further use,i don't like it much. I have to go to advanced tab to enable faster speed of F105. Used to just start up at full speed if I had to reset the phone.

No biggie I guess. Just wondering why it wouldn't be preset to allow for 1.05ghz from the get-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    However, now with the latest govnah version, i am having problems with the correct freq. Even with screenstate range set to 500/800, I see 500 when the display is on and screen is not locked.
    Yes. Same here.
    Once in a while it works ok for a few minutes. For example, if i use fixed 800 and then change it to screenstate it uses 800 as expected. After some short time, it reverts back to 500 with display still on. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks
    Not exactly. When the screenstate governor didn't show 800 i switched manually to the "performance" settings and back. That seemed to fix ist. It works now.

-Walter
    I have a question. I had Uberkernal and Govnah installed on my old Pre. Worked perfectly for my TMC error. Last week I had to get a replacement because my touchscreen was failing. This morning I installed Uberkernal and Govnah for the first time on this phone. Before I would just go in and turn on compcache and that was the only setting I would change in order to fix my TMC error. Ive tried and tried but cant find a way to turn compcache on now. What am I doing wrong? Is there a profile I should just pick that will take care of it all for me? Right now its on the Uberkernal Default profile. I honestly know so little about these things and turning on compcache worked so thats all I ever did. Thanks very much.

Melissa
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Before I would just go in and turn on compcache and that was the only setting I would change in order to fix my TMC error. Ive tried and tried but cant find a way to turn compcache on now.

With the newer Govnah, the location changed some. If you tap on the Profile, you'll see at the top of the list "Advanced Settings". You'll then see where you can enable/disable/configure compcache from there.

I was trying to get to updating the wiki page this weekend with a couple different screenshots for the new version (if it's not done already), but hadn't got that far. I may be able to get to it tonight, I'm not sure yet. I have a couple Eagle Scout Board of Reviews to do tonight.

M.
    Ok so under where it says Compressed Swap it says Disabled then when I click it it says Compcache Enabled with a 0 next to it and Compcache Memlimit 16384. Do I change either of those numbers?
    Ok so under where it says Compressed Swap it says Disabled then when I click it it says Compcache Enabled with a 0 next to it and Compcache Memlimit 16384. Do I change either of those numbers?
    (sorry for the delay, I have to actually WORK at work from time to time... )

First and foremost, turn off "Manual Entry" in the Preferences of Govnah. After doing that, it should be a bit more obvious.
    • Set CompCache to False.
    • Hit Apply.
    • If you had setup a custom profile you can back out of that and enable it now. It'll work as it used to.

If you did not have a custom profile (after disabling CompCache and hitting apply from above):
    • Set the size to whatever you'd like / whatever you had it set at before
    • Set Enable CompCache to True.
    • Hit Apply.

You can now save all that as a custom profile so you don't have to mess with this again. :-)

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 07/26/2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    (sorry for the delay, I have to actually WORK at work from time to time... )

First and foremost, turn off "Manual Entry" in the Preferences of Govnah. After doing that, it should be a bit more obvious.

• Set CompCache to False.
    • Hit Apply.
    • If you had setup a custom profile you can back out of that and enable it now. It'll work as it used to.

If you did not have a custom profile (after disabling CompCache and hitting apply from above):

• Set the size to whatever you'd like / whatever you had it set at before
    • Set Enable CompCache to True.
    • Hit Apply.

You can now save all that as a custom profile so you don't have to mess with this again. :-)

M.
    Thats ok! No need to get fired today lol. Ok I did all of that and saved it to a new profile but it wont let me select the new profile. It only wants me to use Uberkernal Default. Not sure what Im doing wrong there but compcache seems to be turned back on so Im good I think. Ill just double check it anytime I do a reset. Thanks very much!

Melissa
    Thats ok! No need to get fired today lol. Ok I did all of that and saved it to a new profile but it wont let me select the new profile. It only wants me to use Uberkernal Default. Not sure what Im doing wrong there but compcache seems to be turned back on so Im good I think. Ill just double check it anytime I do a reset. Thanks very much!

Melissa

You'll probably be OK regardless what it *displays* as the profile name. It's a bit of a snaffu in the way Govnah reads the preferences and decides what to display. I asked Rod about exactly this a month or so ago. He said that it (essentially) just plows down the list of profiles and *displays* the display name of the first one that meets the settings you specified. It'd still (I think...) be doing the Right Thing (tm) in the background, though.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 07/26/2010 at 12:19 PM.
    I upgraded to v0.6.1 and upgraded uberkernel: now, the only item on the Govnah's home screen that activates is Profile: nothing happens when I click on Freq, Temp, Battery, Load Avg, Mem Swap or Time in State. They all display actively, but I can't access them: please help!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    I upgraded to v0.6.1 and upgraded uberkernel: now, the only item on the Govnah's home screen that activates is Profile: nothing happens when I click on Freq, Temp, Battery, Load Avg, Mem Swap or Time in State. They all display actively, but I can't access them: please help!

The only thing on the Home Screen that is tap-able is Profiles now. After doing that, there is "Advanced Settings" at the top where you access the various things you used to from the Home Screen.

M.
    You'll probably be OK regardless what it *displays* as the profile name. It's a bit of a snaffu in the way Govnah reads the preferences and decides what to display. I asked Rod about exactly this a month or so ago. He said that it (essentially) just plows down the list of profiles and *displays* the display name first one that meets the settings you specified. It'd still (I think...) doing the Right Thing (tm) in the background, though.

M.
    Ok great!
    The only thing on the Home Screen that is tap-able is Profiles now. After doing that, there is "Advanced Settings" at the top where you access the various things you used to from the Home Screen.

M.
    Thanks!! I can't beleive Mr. Whitby tried to hide this from me like that!! I'm old, don't even own a Nintendo DS, you youngsters should keep things like they were way back in the beginning... four or five months ago....

Oops! My PRe crashed when I tried to set uberkernel and userspace to compcache 32MB!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    .... Further use,i don't like it much. I have to go to advanced tab to enable faster speed of F105. Used to just start up at full speed if I had to reset the phone.

No biggie I guess. Just wondering why it wouldn't be preset to allow for 1.05ghz from the get-go.
    You probably have profiles that aren't properly set for F105. Delete all the default user profiles you have in Govnah (except Palm Default, in case you ever uninstall a kernel) then reboot your phone. F105 will boot at 1GHz as usual. Then, load Govnah, and you will see an "unknown" profile. Save this as F105 Default or some name you like. Now you can add additional profiles with different max speeds and compcache sizes for F105 if you're so inclined. I use 3 profiles that limit max speed to 500, 700, and 1G and named them slow, med, fast, so I can save bat life and temp by running at 500 or 700 if on a long call or streaming pandora, on Touchstone forever, etc. (even though F105 drops to 500MHz when charging on Touchstone, the CPU doesn't enter sleep on Touchstone with any kernel, and when bat reaches 100%, charging stops & phone starts discharging battery & kernel will go up to 1GHz until bat discharges to ~94% then it flips & starts charging the bat again & drops back to 500).

If you're doing testing of kernels or Govnah, and changing them frequently, I find it good practice to delete all the Govnah profiles (and even uninstall it) once in a while, just to make sure nothing changed that's broken setting compatibility with either kernel or Gov.
    Last edited by 4wheels; 07/26/2010 at 01:42 PM.