Page 32 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233343536374282 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    NOOP scheduler is best used with solid state devices such as flash memory or in general with devices that do not depend on mechanical movement to access data (meaning typical "hard disk" drive technology consisting of seek time primarily, plus rotational latency). Such non-mechanical devices do not require re-ordering of multiple I/O requests, a technique that groups together I/O requests that are physically close together on the disk, thereby reducing average seek time and the variability of I/O service time

We just won't see the increases in speed from the other 3 because we have no moving parts to optimize.

Thank you!

Then, yes, after reading that, NOOP should the only *sane* choice. I agree. I'll play with that too.

M.
    I'm happy to report that after running govnah for nearly two hours that it did not hang like it had previously. I'm confident that I could leave it running for 24 hours and it continue to function. I will be doing very long runs not 24 hours but at least for several hours to quantify battery consumption for each interval since some people were interested in that. Obviously if you aren't leaving govnah open for more than a short duration here and there how much it consumes will be of no significance. From this test to see that govnah no longer hangs I'm leaning towards the numbers from the one test I performed a little while back may be higher than actual.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm happy to report that after running govnah for nearly two hours that it did not hang like it had previously. I'm confident that I could leave it running for 24 hours and it continue to function. I will be doing very long runs not 24 hours but at least for several hours to quantify battery consumption for each interval since some people were interested in that. Obviously if you aren't leaving govnah open for more than a short duration here and there how much it consumes will be of no significance. From this test to see that govnah no longer hangs I'm leaning towards the numbers from the one test I performed a little while back may be higher than actual.
    Thanks StoneRyno. Your detailed and methodical approach to alpha testing is very much appreciated.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I've got some crazy things going on with my load average numbers, which I have pegged to coincide with periodic but fairly regular slow downs I've been getting. I've got a Sprint Pre. I'm running F105 (this issue predated the kernel, so I'm quite sure it is unrelated). I have compcache on, JStop doing auto trash collect, and typically have only e-mail (with an AOL and Exchange account pushing), calendar, messaging (no IM accounts online unless I'm using them) and Facebook open.

Usually things are snappy, but sometimes everything grinds to a halt. When this happens, I will see load average numbers in the 3-4 range. This morning it was in the 7s and I had not even been using the Pre--this was after it was in my pocket on the drive to work.

Something crazy seems to be going on in the background and I can't figure out what it could be. The other behavior I observe is that if I leave the device alone for a brief time, the load average number ramps back down (probably not unexpected) and everything returns to a normal pace.

Any ideas here? And any other information I can offer that might help identify the culprit of this behavior?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I've got some crazy things going on with my load average numbers, which I have pegged to coincide with periodic but fairly regular slow downs I've been getting. I've got a Sprint Pre. I'm running F105 (this issue predated the kernel, so I'm quite sure it is unrelated). I have compcache on, JStop doing auto trash collect, and typically have only e-mail (with an AOL and Exchange account pushing), calendar, messaging (no IM accounts online unless I'm using them) and Facebook open.

Usually things are snappy, but sometimes everything grinds to a halt. When this happens, I will see load average numbers in the 3-4 range. This morning it was in the 7s and I had not even been using the Pre--this was after it was in my pocket on the drive to work.

Something crazy seems to be going on in the background and I can't figure out what it could be. The other behavior I observe is that if I leave the device alone for a brief time, the load average number ramps back down (probably not unexpected) and everything returns to a normal pace.

Any ideas here? And any other information I can offer that might help identify the culprit of this behavior?

Thanks.
    7's? That's it? Your phone isn't doing much at all. I will quite often see high teens / low twenties. It's not a constant things, but it's far from uncommon.

M.
    Really? It seems to get super slow when it gets above 3 or so. That being the case, any other ideas?
    Really? It seems to get super slow when it gets above 3 or so. That being the case, any other ideas?
    Stop the auto garbage collector for starters. It's not really helping you much anyway. It's takes a good amount of thinking to constantly go through every byte of what's in memory to see what's being used and what's not...

M.
    Ok, I turned off the garbage collection.... Let's see if that makes a difference. It almost seems to me like something is getting stuck or looping or leaking or something. It slows everything down when it happens (IE, opening an e-mail account leaves you with a blank screen with the header blank, then the header fills with the account name, then the messages eventually show up), text messages or IM stay grayed out taking a long time to send, etc. It is very frustrating. It seemed to go away for a while after doctoring, but is returning and seems to accumulate and get worse with time.

Also, for what it is worth, I have Preset Reset running every night.
    Ok, I turned off the garbage collection.... Let's see if that makes a difference. It almost seems to me like something is getting stuck or looping or leaking or something. It slows everything down when it happens (IE, opening an e-mail account leaves you with a blank screen with the header blank, then the header fills with the account name, then the messages eventually show up), text messages or IM stay grayed out taking a long time to send, etc. It is very frustrating. It seemed to go away for a while after doctoring, but is returning and seems to accumulate and get worse with time.

Also, for what it is worth, I have Preset Reset running every night.
    Preset Rest is not a substitute for a good battery pull. Warm booting *any* computer does not completely reset the hardware. Only draining the hardware of it's electrons will (pulling the battery). If you do a clean shutdown, pull out the battery, wait 10 or so seconds while holding the power button down (to ensure all capacitors have lost their charge) and power it backup, it'll be good as new for a while.

M.
  10. OrR
    I've been running Govnah 0.5.9 for about 24 hours at 1 second polling and it still works beautifully. Looks like that hanging bug from before is definitely gone. I didn't take a look at battery consumption, though.
    Xanadu, did the battery pull after shutdown earlier today. Having another massive slowdown with higher than usual (at least for me) load averages. It took about a minute for one of my email account inboxes to appear on screen. I had signed into my aol and facebook IM accounts in the messaging app and it has been hanging to sign off for more than 5 minutes. Is there anything else I can look at to try to isolate the cause of this? It generally happens daily and seems to get worse as time goes on.
    Xanadu, did the battery pull after shutdown earlier today. Having another massive slowdown with higher than usual (at least for me) load averages. It took about a minute for one of my email account inboxes to appear on screen. I had signed into my aol and facebook IM accounts in the messaging app and it has been hanging to sign off for more than 5 minutes. Is there anything else I can look at to try to isolate the cause of this? It generally happens daily and seems to get worse as time goes on.
    Doctor your phone...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I did Doctor my phone about 3 weeks ago. The situation has returned. The solution cannot be doctoring the phone every 3 weeks. If it is, it is time to pull the plug on WebOS.
    I did Doctor my phone about 3 weeks ago. The situation has returned. The solution cannot be doctoring the phone every 3 weeks. If it is, it is time to pull the plug on WebOS.
    Try doing a Java restart when you have those symtoms, and see if that helps.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Run top on the command line and look for processes taking up lots of CPU time or memory.

Look in /var/log/messages for repetitive error messages.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Run top on the command line and look for processes taking up lots of CPU time or memory.

Look in /var/log/messages for repetitive error messages.

-- Rod
    Yes this is definitely something that needs detailed analysis. In addition to rods suggestion, questions I am inclined to ask are: how often is the device rebooted? What apps/tasks are running in the background regularly? Did any particular app behave abnormally prior to the massive slowdown/higher load averages? Are you using a governor that scales the speed (this is a wild guess on perhaps under-clocking too long if so)? I'm sure we can get to the bottom of the problem with enough info to track down the cause.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Java restart hasn't helped either. Using F105 Ryno, but the problem was happening with other kernels too. All the apps get very slow, but it is most noticeable in messaging and email. Even Govnah takes a while to populate the list of data when it happens, starting with N/As.

Also, the device is rebooted at least once a day. Oddly, rebooting it when this happens doesn't even necessarily clear the issue instantly. It just recovers itself in time, which doesn't make sense to me.

How do I do what Rod has suggested? Is that the command function in WOSQI? And if so, what's the actual command? I haven't had to do that yet.

Thanks for the helpful replies. Once I figure out how to do that command, I will run it the next time I slow down.
    Ok, I just tried to run the top command and I'm getting:

top: failed tty get

I presume I'm doing something wrong here....

Device is working ok now, but figured it made sense to get a snapshot of things when it is running at proper speeds to compare to when I attempt it during one of my regular slowdowns.

Thanks.
    Ok, I just tried to run the top command and I'm getting:

top: failed tty get

I presume I'm doing something wrong here....

Device is working ok now, but figured it made sense to get a snapshot of things when it is running at proper speeds to compare to when I attempt it during one of my regular slowdowns.

Thanks.
    Use the SDK and novaterm to access the device.

WOSQI command line does not work for this purpose. I don't recommend using it ever.

-- Rod
    I ran top in terminal on my pre I just typed plain "top". I honestly never used this one before so I don't know what to look for exactly in it to help you figure out what to report to us. You may need to use palms method of accessing the linux prompt from windows command prompt: novacom -t open tty://.