Page 31 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    0.5.7 does not fix the hang bug.

You'll need to use 0.5.0 for the moment if that bug affects you.

-- Rod
    Actually, I just tried it and all is well now. On the previous page, my issues were listed and I'm havin non of them now. I'm not sure what did it, but it's working perfectly and I'm not complaining.

edit: .5.0 was when the issue began.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Still makes it impossible to alpha test when all the options disappear for whatever reason. The TCP options also disappear too where the pop up menu appears blank.
    If you're leaving Govnah open then you're not getting accurate alpha testing results from the kernel you're testing anway.

Set the values you want, then close Govnah and use the device as normal for testing everyday usage.

-- Rod
    Thats what I do. When I pull up Govnah though, the TCP and IO scheduler options disappear or say "false".

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Thats what I do. When I pull up Govnah though, the TCP and IO scheduler options disappear or say "false".
    Once you've left Govnah open long enough for the hang bug to occur, it will not clear until a full reboot of the device.

-- Rod
    I learned my lesson about hang bug not long ago when Rod clearly said not to leave Govnah running. Don't understand why others have not? It would state that in the update description if you could; Rod, Marco, community and company would have posted it as well
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 07/17/2010 at 01:24 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Govnah 0.5.8 is now in the testing feed.

This one is intended to fix the hang bug. I found a memory leak that one of the other developers inserted to make things interesting for me It was leaking 4Kb/poll.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Govnah 0.5.7 is in the testing feed with updated current draw support and new support for io schedulers and tcp congestion control (those two aren't stored in the profile yet, nor are they sticky).
    I'll research these new controls so I can effectively test them. I would have retained the original +/- values and just changed the label to current or battery current but this is acceptable too. As long as it shows one way when charging and the opposite when not it works for me.

Also, oil has completely rearchitected the UI for Advanced Settings. I personally think it's awesome, and nicely extensible now (which is why someone with my poor javascript skills could add some new controls to it).
    Yes I think this looks a lot nicer and is more functional as additional configurable things are added.

Oh, it also defaults to 5 second poll rate and *not* updating the launcher icon. We got sick of people blaming list scrolling stuttering on the kernel when they left Govnah open.

-- Rod
    Even if there weren't those complaints I think this is a good move. 5 seconds is a good balance between poll frequency and battery/performance impact.

This one is intended to fix the hang bug. I found a memory leak that one of the other developers inserted to make things interesting for me It was leaking 4Kb/poll.

-- Rod
    Even though this is fixed I would recommend only having govnah open for short periods of time and not leaving it run in the background unless it is found my initial tests are high and govnah doesn't consume hardly any additioanl power. I'm going to have to run tests with this new version since the hang bug prevented accurate testing and so I have no news to report since my previous post with initial numbers.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Still not sure I feel the charge/drain current text and +/- indicators are correct. I'm an EE and it looks backwards to me now. I think it makes more sense on a battery powered device to show whether the battery is in a state of discharge or charge, so the original +/- indication seems "more correct" to me. Maybe it should have just been a terminology change from "current draw" to "battery current"? That would be similar to how the old "charge" meters (ammeters) on old cars functioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I would have retained the original +/- values and just changed the label to current or battery current
    Done.

Govnah 0.5.9 is now in the testing feed.

It also disables the compcache settings scene if the compcache modules are not available, and uses N/A for missing values instead of "...".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

-- Rod
    ah ha! I wondered what was going on! I thought my phone was about to choke.

Note to self: check the forum threads more often!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hello Rod,

I'm mostly a silent follower of all the WebOS Internals stuff that has been going on. I like that you added the Battery Current to Govnah. This happens to be the field I work in. I work for a very large test and measurement company and my particular division makes power supplies designed to emulate a battery. I am planning on hooking my Sprint Pre to this equipment to test how accurate your battery monitoring current is. Would you have an interest in the results of the tests?

Also, I see you switched the polarity to positive, then back to negative. This all depends on your perspective. If you are going from the perspective of the battery, the convention would be when it is sourcing current to the phone, this is positive current. When it is recieving current from the phone's charger circuitry, then it is negative current. These are the industry conventions.

However, it seems to me that you are just monitoring the amount of current that the phone is consuming, not necesarily the current flowing to/from the battery. What leads me to this is that when I plug in my charger, the battery current does not change polarity, since current would be flowing into the battery to charge it. Does that sound right? If so, you may want to change the label from "Battery Current" to "Phone Current Consumption" or something like that.

My tests should confirm this.

If you or anyone else is interested in what equipment I will be using for these test, please don't hesistate to PM me. I want to go through the proper channels of my company before I post anything here in regards to the details, until then, I'd like to keep everything private. I don't want this to sound like I am promoting our products in any way.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    DDT1345,

I would be interested in seeing your measured current draw using both uber and warthog kernels to compare (the warthog kernels are undervolted).
    Done.

Govnah 0.5.9 is now in the testing feed.

It also disables the compcache settings scene if the compcache modules are not available, and uses N/A for missing values instead of "...".

-- Rod
    Rod, you're the man! Appears to be working well so far. Just for grins, when I get a chance I'll check the hang bug/memory leak. I'm not in a habit of leaving it open all the time when carrying the phone, but noticed it on the Touchstone when I would occasionally leave it open if forcing a low freq (and wanted to remind myself to change it back when removing from Touchstone).

EDIT: left Govnah' 0.5.9 running for just over 1 hour with a 2 second polling interval and no hang, crash, or other weirdness. Looks like you fixed it!
    Last edited by 4wheels; 07/17/2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added test results for hang...
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    However, it seems to me that you are just monitoring the amount of current that the phone is consuming, not necesarily the current flowing to/from the battery. What leads me to this is that when I plug in my charger, the battery current does not change polarity, since current would be flowing into the battery to charge it. Does that sound right? If so, you may want to change the label from "Battery Current" to "Phone Current Consumption" or something like that.
    I'm not sure where the information for Govnah's current readings are taken, but the polarity/direction of current flow indicated by Govnah' on my phone has always reversed when it's on the charger... I just verified this again. Battery was in the 75% range, Govnah' showed discharge off the charger, then put it on the Touchstone & Govnah' switched polarity indication to show battery in a state of charge. I'm not sure why your phone doesn't show a polarity change.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Also, I see you switched the polarity to positive, then back to negative. This all depends on your perspective. If you are going from the perspective of the battery, the convention would be when it is sourcing current to the phone, this is positive current. When it is recieving current from the phone's charger circuitry, then it is negative current. These are the industry conventions.
    Personally I think the present method of referring to a battery discharge state as "-" and a charge state as "+" makes perfect sense to most users. The analogy I gave above regarding the ammeters used in old cars matches this situation well. If a user looks at his battery current +/- state and sees a "-" then it makes sense that the battery is losing energy, just like an ammeter on a car, forklift, or tractor. Then when they see a "+" they know it's gaining energy or charging. I don't think most users really care about knowing which is sourcing or sinking current or electron vs conventional current flow...

Remember this isn't a piece of lab test equipment, but a gauge so the user can easily monitor the condition of the device, like a gauge in a car.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    4wheels,

In regards to the polarity, usually, when current is flowing out of the positive terminal, it is considered positive current and when it is flowing into the positive terminal, it is considered negative current. That is how we refer to it.

However, I see your point that you want to make the layperson understand and it might make more sense to describe it in the opposite way. I just wanted to point out what the industry conventions are. No need to follow those here.

In regards to your other post about polarity changing during charges states in Govnah, I just noticed mine switch over. Previously, I was not in enough of a discharge state for the phone to even go into a charge mode. Not only do I see the polarity switch, I see the color of the graph change. Just an oversight on my part. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kevin
    DDT1345

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    Personally I think the present method of referring to a battery discharge state as "-" and a charge state as "+" makes perfect sense to most users. The analogy I gave above regarding the ammeters used in old cars matches this situation well. If a user looks at his battery current +/- state and sees a "-" then it makes sense that the battery is losing energy, just like an ammeter on a car, forklift, or tractor. Then when they see a "+" they know it's gaining energy or charging. I don't think most users really care about knowing which is sourcing or sinking current or electron vs conventional current flow...

Remember this isn't a piece of lab test equipment, but a gauge so the user can easily monitor the condition of the device, like a gauge in a car.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    codecrumb,

I have uber installed on my Sprint Pre now, so that will be the easiest for me to do at this point. I'll consider changing kernels aftewards and doing similar tests.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    DDT1345,

I would be interested in seeing your measured current draw using both uber and warthog kernels to compare (the warthog kernels are undervolted).
    Naming it "battery current" and reversing the polarity = happy RorDogg!
    yeah, I'm easily amused. =)
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I may be wrong, but shouldn't NOOP be the only viable answer for our palm devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    I may be wrong, but shouldn't NOOP be the only viable answer for our palm devices?
    Why would that be? I'm not near my main machine (Gentoo!) to check what menuconfig / source has to say about it.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Why would that be? I'm not near my main machine (Gentoo!) to check what menuconfig / source has to say about it.

M.
    NOOP scheduler is best used with solid state devices such as flash memory or in general with devices that do not depend on mechanical movement to access data (meaning typical "hard disk" drive technology consisting of seek time primarily, plus rotational latency). Such non-mechanical devices do not require re-ordering of multiple I/O requests, a technique that groups together I/O requests that are physically close together on the disk, thereby reducing average seek time and the variability of I/O service time

We just won't see the increases in speed from the other 3 because we have no moving parts to optimize.