Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 12345678 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it. Is there a repeatable test case that does not involve other overclocking solutions being used in the past? I cannot reproduce that problem here.

-- Rod
    I dont know, I spent most of the day trying to find a way to fix it so I would have to DR my phone. Seems like just about every thread I read had it happening right after 800mhz.

I figured you where to man to solve it. Thanks for all your hard work.

Here is one of the bigger threads about it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...-contacts.html
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    I dont know, I spent most of the day trying to find a way to fix it so I would have to DR my phone. Seems like just about every thread I read had it happening right after 800mhz.

I figured you where to man to solve it. Thanks for all your hard work.

Here is one of the bigger threads about it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...-contacts.html
    Looks like the large majority of those reports don't involve Uber-Kernel or Govnah at all. Sorry, but I've got to consider it to be someone else's problem at the moment, especially since I can't reproduce it here.

If someone can reproduce it after a full webOS Doctor and then only using WebOS Internals packages, then I'll be happy to take a look.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Looks like the large majority of those reports don't involve Uber-Kernel or Govnah at all. Sorry, but I've got to consider it to be someone else's problem at the moment, especially since I can't reproduce it here.

If someone can reproduce it after a full webOS Doctor and then only using WebOS Internals packages, then I'll be happy to take a look.

-- Rod
    Fair enough. I have a quick question, I have the screenmate set at 800-250 but when I speed check with WebosQI it only goes down to 500 when off?cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    The latest versions of Preware and the Package Manager Service (or Preware Alpha if you're testing that) now include the webos-kernels feed, so Uber-Kernel and Govnah can be installed directly from the default Preware feeds now.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    Fair enough. I have a quick question, I have the screenmate set at 800-250 but when I speed check with WebosQI it only goes down to 500 when off?cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    If you are talking about the screen state selection, it works with 800/500 only.
    0 - Love the uberkernal/govnah combination and love making my friends with a Droid or Nexus realize how crappy it is by comparison to my Pre now.

1 - I really, really dislike the change in this version so that the temp only displays on the icon when the Govnah card is open. I put icon into my launcher so I could keep tabs on the temp without the card open. I also ensured the setting to update the app icon was on, but it still isn't updated when the card is closed. (I rarely leave any app open that I am not actively using I think this habit was formed during my days of dealing with Win3.1 and only a few megs of ram)

Is there a reason this change was made that I'm missing? Again, I really, really miss that info in front of me all the time.

2 - Since I've installed v2.5 tonight (about 3 hours ago) I've had about 12 random reboots. They all seem to happen when I'm turning the screen on or off (using the screenstate governer). I can't provide too much more detail yet as I need a better sample size of the issue, but I'm going to keep tabs on it tomorrow and if it doesn't quit I may doctoring the phone. If it still doesn't quit, I don't know what I'll do yet. I'll post some more info on that as I get it, but wanted to post in case someone else has the same issue and figures it out.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Man, this is beautiful. I'm in awe of all the WebOS Internals devs and the fantastic enhancements you've made it possible for users to enjoy!
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Does it have to be running to work?
    I've been searching and can't find this out either.

Please inform us.

Thanks
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by myxptlyk View Post
    1 - I really, really dislike the change in this version so that the temp only displays on the icon when the Govnah card is open. I put icon into my launcher so I could keep tabs on the temp without the card open. I also ensured the setting to update the app icon was on, but it still isn't updated when the card is closed. (I rarely leave any app open that I am not actively using I think this habit was formed during my days of dealing with Win3.1 and only a few megs of ram)

Is there a reason this change was made that I'm missing? Again, I really, really miss that info in front of me all the time.
    What you were seeing pre 0.2.5 was a bug. A bug that has been corrected. Now it resets the icon back to default when its closed. Before, the icon was just being left with the last temp seen. It wasn't actually updating the icon in the background like you thought.

The dashboard, when finished, will solve this by updating the icon without the app card open.

2 - Since I've installed v2.5 tonight (about 3 hours ago) I've had about 12 random reboots. They all seem to happen when I'm turning the screen on or off (using the screenstate governer). I can't provide too much more detail yet as I need a better sample size of the issue, but I'm going to keep tabs on it tomorrow and if it doesn't quit I may doctoring the phone. If it still doesn't quit, I don't know what I'll do yet. I'll post some more info on that as I get it, but wanted to post in case someone else has the same issue and figures it out.
    Installing 0.2.5 had nothing to do with this. This is a kernel problem.

Govnah just changes the settings. Nothing else. How the settings it allows you to set react on your pre is another matter. A kernel matter.

Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Does it have to be running to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I've been searching and can't find this out either.
    Once you set the settings with govnah, you can close it.
    sweet.

thanks for the fast reply.

What do you suggest poll speed?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    sweet.

thanks for the fast reply.

What do you suggest poll speed?
    You do have to keep it open for it to continue to log statistics.

As far as poll speed. I'm the one that sets the default preferences, so what it defaults to is what I suggest
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Would it be possibe, in future releases, to have govnah running as some kind of background app which shows cpu temperature as a small number/icon in the top right bar and can also be started by clicking on that icon?

I think this would be a really great feature. Also, the gownah card wouldn't have to be open all the time.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post
    Would it be possibe, in future releases, to have govnah running as some kind of background app which shows cpu temperature as a small number/icon in the top right bar and can also be started by clicking on that icon?

I think this would be a really great feature. Also, the gownah card wouldn't have to be open all the time.

What do you think?
    Note that the org.webosinternals.govnah service is always available in the background as a dormant service, ready for *any* mojo app or patch or whatever to read the internal CPU temperature whenever they want.

Don't rely on Govnah to do everything for you - go out and write other awesome Mojo apps or patches to do what you want, and then contribute them back to the community!

We believe in an open interoperable architecture, and many alternative solutions for users to choose from, and for other developers to build upon.

-- Rod
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I have been running Uber with Govnah for about a week now, and wanted to share my observations. The best settings I've found are:

Conservative Governor
    Min Freq = 500
    Max Freq = 800
    Sampling Rate = 1 sec (unchanged from default)
    Sampling Down Factor = 1 (unchanged from default)
    Up Threshold = 35%
    Down Threshold = 15%
    Ignore Nice = False (unchanged from default)
    Freq Step = 5% (or 10% - haven't noticed a lot of difference between the two)

I don't get any crashes or reboots (that I believe are kernel or governor related), it seems to ramp up quickly when I need the power, and it still appears to idle at 500 MHz (per Govnah graphs).

I like the idea of the screenstate governor, but it sounds like there are still some things to smooth out, so I'm sticking with Conservative for now.

I wonder if it might be possible to create a hybrid governor that sticks the speed at a set frequency (500, 250, 125, etc) when screen is off, but applies the conservative or ondemand (or any other) governor when the screen is active. Not knowing anything about the intricacies of programming kernels and governors, I'll leave that to the experts to ponder.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Installing 0.2.5 had nothing to do with this. This is a kernel problem.

Govnah just changes the settings. Nothing else. How the settings it allows you to set react on your pre is another matter. A kernel matter.
    Once you set the settings with govnah, you can close it.
    This is a bit confusing then - I changed nothing except the Govnah. I didn't change the kernel, the governer I was using, or the settings for that governer. It's very odd that it would run totally stable and then within 5 minutes of updating the govnah app it totally crapped out and decided to reboot every few minutes. It's possible, but very odd. I'll probably end up running the doctor tonight just to be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice8lue View Post

What do you think?
    You should go back a few posts:

http://forums.precentral.net/2421252-post49.html

oil said: "Once you set the settings with govnah, you can close it."
    Last edited by webfellow; 05/04/2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: .
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Installed Uber-kernel and Govnah yesterday. Love what it does, though I need to find my Pre's sweet spot I think. Went to sleep at 2:30am with 92% battery, woke up with 44% at 7:30am. Had ondemand with 250 MHz on the low end, 720 MHz on the high end, all other setting at default. I do have Reboot Scheduler rebooting the phone, so that last hour or so after a reboot should have been at stock speeds as I understand it. I will work with it to find what works for my phone though, it's usually plugged in anyways.

I have noticed one small thing. Seems like it takes a few minutes, roughly 5 minutes or so, before the kernel starts ramping up and down as set in Govnah. Have mainly noticed this after a reboot and starting up Govnah. Open it up, choose a governor with the low side being 250MHz and high being 720MHz, but I will continue to see the phone drop to 125 and go up to 800. After a bit it starts to work correctly. Not a problem, just an observation.

edit: that was my other observation. Leaving the Govnah card open it won't refresh until I click one of the graphs to view closer, then back out and everything is refreshed. An automatice refresh of the card when bringing it to full screen would be nice. I am guessing something being worked on but just in case I am throwing it out there.
    Last edited by Cringer; 05/04/2010 at 10:33 AM.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    edit: that was my other observation. Leaving the Govnah card open it won't refresh until I click one of the graphs to view closer, then back out and everything is refreshed. An automatice refresh of the card when bringing it to full screen would be nice. I am guessing something being worked on but just in case I am throwing it out there.
    It doesn't try to update the data on the card unless its "visible" or the active card and the top scene. It should refresh once the data pull happens again. But I can certainly add a manual graph refresh when it sees itself become visible, instead of waiting for the next data pull to regenerate, if you have the polling set slow.

This is a bit confusing then - I changed nothing except the Govnah. I didn't change the kernel, the governer I was using, or the settings for that governer. It's very odd that it would run totally stable and then within 5 minutes of updating the govnah app it totally crapped out and decided to reboot every few minutes. It's possible, but very odd. I'll probably end up running the doctor tonight just to be safe.
    I am the first to say I don't know much about kernels, governors, overclocking and all that. But what I do know is apps. And Govnah is just another app, like a twitter client, or a game where you tap on aliens to make their heads explode... It really doesn't do anything all that special beyond using a very simple little c service to write to and read from a handful of files. Thats it.

If you can bring me a repeatable test case of govnah causing crashes and reboots *without a custom kernel installed*, I'll take a serious look. But until then, I find it very hard to believe that govnah itself is causing your problems.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    It doesn't try to update the data on the card unless its "visible" or the active card and the top scene. It should refresh once the data pull happens again. But I can certainly add a manual graph refresh when it sees itself become visible, instead of waiting for the next data pull to regenerate, if you have the polling set slow.
    Ah, timing is everything with the slower polling time. That makes sense, just hadn't caught it on my own. Thanks.
    I'm having a problem. I have a Sprint Pre running 1.4.1.1 and about 40 patches. I installed the Uber-kernal and Govnah yesterday via Preware and they seem to be running ok, only when ever I open Govnah and try to change the settings the phone completely freezes and I have to pull the battery in order to boot it again. Every time it reboots Govnah goes back to the userspace setting no matter what I change it to. This has happened 5 times now. Any ideas?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation