Page 25 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I also have the Sprint Pre that hangs on ScreenState 125/800 after the upgrade. Works without any issue on ScreenState 500/800 and also just Fixed Speed 800.

Using UberKernel v 1.4.1 and Govnah v0.5.0.

If there are logs on the phone I can post, I'd be more than happy to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by askfu View Post
    I also have the Sprint Pre that hangs on ScreenState 125/800 after the upgrade. Works without any issue on ScreenState 500/800 and also just Fixed Speed 800.

Using UberKernel v 1.4.1 and Govnah v0.5.0.

If there are logs on the phone I can post, I'd be more than happy to help.
    I had this same issue, turned out my screen brightness was too low...raised it above 20% and i can now go to 125 no problems on waking now...
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    rod Right now the only way to sort flush the memory is to disable and then renable compache in Govnah if I am not mistaken. Just wondering if it is possible or has any thought went into having a dump memory/flusch compache switch that allows you to just hit a switch and it automatically flushes or empties the memory with compache and puts it back at zero. I think you mentioned it does this with screenstate and you can just disable apply settings and then enable and apply settings and it flushes it just thinking that would be a little quicker. Like I said I am not sure if it is possible just one of my early morning Pre wonderings. You guys do great work I loved my Pre before I started tweaking but now it has been transformed into a new Pre. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    thank errade for clearing that up
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Guys, I'll try and explain this the best way I can. The short version is this: Basically nobody can tell you what the best compache memlimit is for you, because it will be different for everyone depending on how they use their phone.

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result: If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take and how much performance you wish to gain.
    this was incredibly helpful. Gracias seņor.
    my only question to all of that is how much of that applies to Verizon Palm Pre+ users like myself. I notice that Sprint Palm Pre users greatly out number Palm Pre+ users for both Verizon and AT&T here in the forums it seems,so I just had to ask. Gracias in advance

For now I am running my compcache @ 32mb with a high frequency of 1ghz and a minimal frequency of 500mhz. It is running vastly better than when I previously had it set with a minimal frequency of 125mhz and 24mb. No more hiccup when I launch any of my apps from the quick launch or launch cards. The only noticeable slow down is only my camera when it boots. i'm going to try more configurations
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 07/02/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'm having a problem now with Screenstate or any setting on Govnah. It was working properly this morning but now when I try to change the speed it just stays stuck on 500 mHz. I've tried deleting and re-installing Govnah but still does the same thing. I guess I'll have to try removing UK and re-installing that too. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    I'm having a problem now with Screenstate or any setting on Govnah. It was working properly this morning but now when I try to change the speed it just stays stuck on 500 mHz. I've tried deleting and re-installing Govnah but still does the same thing. I guess I'll have to try removing UK and re-installing that too. Any suggestions?
    Unplug the USB, and read up on screenstate.

-- Rod
    You are waaaay more patient than I am Rod, hat's off to you!!!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I had posted this in its own thread(I was tired and didn't think), but I would love to see Govnah adopt Touchstone support. Unixpsycho had mentioned in the F105 thread that setting the speed in the kernel to 500MHz automatically could not be done. I accept this, but since the Mode Switcher application DOES support detecting if our devices are on the Touchstone, then Govnah could get the support to auto-transition to 500MHz when we place our device on the Touchstone, and then set it back to the appropriate speed when we take it off.

Would it be possible to include this functionality in the next release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I had posted this in its own thread(I was tired and didn't think), but I would love to see Govnah adopt Touchstone support. Unixpsycho had mentioned in the F105 thread that setting the speed in the kernel to 500MHz automatically could not be done. I accept this, but since the Mode Switcher application DOES support detecting if our devices are on the Touchstone, then Govnah could get the support to auto-transition to 500MHz when we place our device on the Touchstone, and then set it back to the appropriate speed when we take it off.

Since it can be done with Mode Switcher and Govnah, why add it to Govnah?

The Linux way is that each programme does one thing well, and different programmes cooperate to achieve greater things than what can be done by trying to put everything in one programme.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Can someone please answer a simple question for me... I really don't want to read 25 pages of stuff to see if this has already been answered:

If I uninstall Govnah and Uberkernel, will the Pre automatically revert back to 500MHz? I assume so, but I wanted to check. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilmater View Post
    Can someone please answer a simple question for me... I really don't want to read 25 pages of stuff to see if this has already been answered:

If I uninstall Govnah and Uberkernel, will the Pre automatically revert back to 500MHz? I assume so, but I wanted to check. Thanks!
    You only need to uninstall Uberkernel, then reboot the Pre...

Also if you have Quick System Tasks, you can set it for the screen to go off when placed on the touchstone. I use it with the screenstate govenor and it works great.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation

I'm using F105 -69 version, and it functions as you request above. 500mhz while on TouchStone, 1005mhz off TouchStone. Also if charging via the USB cable it drops to 500mhz (whether via computer or wall outlet).
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/06/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I don't understand how to interpret the Load Average numbers.
    I haven't seen this answered and would like to know as well, what does each of the Load Average numbers represent? Typically mine are low but I've seen them go into the 20's. I'm assuming lower means the phone will perform better.
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/06/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    I don't think you really wanna worry about stuff like that, because if the dev explain it to you - you still wouldn't understand. I don't either.

Cheers!
    Sought out the answer to my question:

The load average tries to measure the number of active processes at any time (for the past 1, 5 and 15 minute representations). As a measure of CPU utilization, the load average is simplistic, poorly defined, but far from useless.

... High load averages usually mean that the system is being used heavily and the response time is correspondingly slow.
    What's high? ... Ideally, you'd like a load average under, say, 3, ... Ultimately, 'high' means high enough so that you don't need uptime to tell you that the system is overloaded.

...different systems will behave differently under the same load average. ... running a single cpu-bound background job .... can bring response to a crawl even though the load avg remains quite low.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  18.    #498  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Sought out the answer to my question:
    Yay
    Haha

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since it can be done with Mode Switcher and Govnah, why add it to Govnah?

The Linux way is that each programme does one thing well, and different programmes cooperate to achieve greater things than what can be done by trying to put everything in one programme.

-- Rod
    This goes back to the old idea that the fewer apps you need to perform the task, the better off you will be. The old KISS approach of "Keep It Simple, Stupid" is what comes to mind. Now, if the new 105 kernel has the Touchstone 500MHz behavior, then it is all good, but -60 didn't have it, and Unixpsycho had stated it just couldn't be done at the kernel level, so I left it at that. It DOES seem that Unixpsycho figured out how to make it work, so I will let it go.