Page 22 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Guys, I'll try to explain this as best I can - if I'm wrong at any point please feel free to correct me.

Basically nobody can tell you what the best compache memlimit is for you, because it will be different for everyone depending on how they use their phone.

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result:If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take.
    Thank you very much for this explanation. You should add this into the wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    If you have the current version of the Uberkernel v1.4.1-48 and Govnah v0.5.0, Open Govnah and tap govenor, on the bottom set compcache enabled to true and then tap Apply settings.
    That is the problem, version0.5.0 does not have a true/false button but a numeric value for enabling the feature, what should the value be, 1?
    That's odd, I have 0.5.0 and it is a True or False field - in general 0 means false and 1 means true, so you could try that.
    That's odd, I have 0.5.0 and it is a True or False field - in general 0 means false and 1 means true, so you could try that.

Wht kernel are you using? I am using WarthogKernel
    I am on the Sprint Pre and I've found that running a screenstate 800/300 has served me well with compache enabled.
    If you are are getting anything different than the true/false field in the compache of your govenah, it's because in your preference you have the Governor Settings "Manual Entry" set to yes. In this case, errade is correct ( 0 means false and 1 means true).
    Thanks 'errade' that is basically the answer I was needing for an explanation. I guess since most the time I use a few cards and such I will just leave it at 16MB.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    That is the problem, version0.5.0 does not have a true/false button but a numeric value for enabling the feature, what should the value be, 1?
    Why are you using the Manual Entry (for experienced users only) setting?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Guys, I'll try and explain this the best way I can. The short version is this: Basically nobody can tell you what the best compache memlimit is for you, because it will be different for everyone depending on how they use their phone.

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result: If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take and how much performance you wish to gain.
    I have noticed that compcache settings don't hold through the phone reboot unlike the other governor settings like the freq. Is this intentional? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    I have noticed that compcache settings don't hold through the phone reboot unlike the other governor settings like the freq. Is this intentional? Thanks
    You need to save it as a profile and then select the profile to make it stick.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I also noticed that I can't change the memlimit beyond 16Mb. I have sprint palm pre with latest uberkernel. No thunderbird F10x...kernels. Do i need to enable anything else? Compcache is set to true.
    I also noticed that I can't change the memlimit beyond 16Mb. I have sprint palm pre with latest uberkernel. No thunderbird F10x...kernels. Do i need to enable anything else? Compcache is set to true.
    same for me.....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You need to save it as a profile and then select the profile to make it stick.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod.
    Try this, Set compcacahe to false then set memlimit to what you want and tap apply settings > turn compcache back to true and tap apply settings again > then name profile and close Govnah. When you open it again it will have the profile name and proper settings.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    You can't change the memlimit while compcache is enabled. You need to disable and apply settings first.

-- Rod
    Rod any thoughts as to why i can't go below 500 with screenstate? before the update i was set at screenstate 800/250 with no issues....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Hi,

A quick question re: the Ueberkernel and Govnah released into the public feed today...

I've been a user of the Ueberkernel with CPUScaler Ultimate 2.0 until today (SuperPreKernel before Ueberkernel...again with CPUScaler Ultimate 2.0).

So I upgraded today to the new Ueberkernel and Govnah 0.5.

I chose the Screenstate 500/800 profile, then found the Compcache settings in the Governor detail screen, turned it on, rebooted, then set it to 24 MB, rebooting again, then went back to the screenstate 500/800 profile, and verified that the Compcache was still enabled and set to 24 MB.

All seems to working.

I tried to set Compcache to 32 MB, but, whenever I tap the Apply Settings button, it just switches my Compcache Memlimit setting back to 24 MB.

Is 24 MB the max memlimit setting for a Sprint Palm Pre (which is what I have)?

I checked the wiki page on Govnah (Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals ), but version 0.5 isn't there yet...which...makes sense right, 'cause 0.5 is still in a testing state?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I tried to set Compcache to 32 MB, but, whenever I tap the Apply Settings button, it just switches my Compcache Memlimit setting back to 24 MB.
    You can only change the memlimit when compcache is disabled.

-- Rod
    does the Govnah 0.50 have the option to Make setting stick on reboot now?? so every time i reboot the phone i dont have to re set my 800/500mhz settings??????????

Please reply!! I currently using both CPU Scaler Ultimate and Govnah... (Ultimate Scaler so my settings will stick)
    Quote Originally Posted by broy83 View Post
    does the Govnah 0.50 have the option to Make setting stick on reboot now?? so every time i reboot the phone i dont have to re set my 800/500mhz settings??????????

Please reply!! I currently using both CPU Scaler Ultimate and Govnah... (Ultimate Scaler so my settings will stick)
    Hi!!!!!!!! How are you???????

Please read!!!!!

Govnah has had sticky profiles since 0.4.0 ...

Bye!!!!

-- Rod