Page 21 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I'm just coming from F102 and decided to install Uberkernel. I successfully uninstalled F102 and installed the latest Uberkernel (-58) along with Govnah (0.5.0). I have verified that Uberkernel successfully installed. I have both the icon in the launcher and it shows up as installed in Preware. The issue I'm having with Govnah is that it will not allow me to select any profiles other than Palm Default. Also, the temperature does not display. Do I need to reinstall the kernel? I've already tried reinstalling Govnah with no success.

I'm reading/writing this from my Pre, so I apologize in advance if this issue was already brought up.
    Did you allow Preware to reboot your device when it said it had to do so after installing UberKernel?

I'm assuming you used Preware to install everything. If not, go back and start again. If so, you should comply with what it tells you to do

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Govnah 0.5.0 is released to the public feeds.

Major new features include Pixi support, memory reporting and Compcache configuration.

Note that none of the predefined profiles include Compcache support - you should choose the profile you want, then enable Compcache if you desire, and then save that as a new profile, then select the new profile to make it sticky.

Also note that you need a kernel with compcache configuration enabled to be able to control it from Govnah.

The UberKernel release at http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2528354 is recommended.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/28/2010 at 09:30 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    It looks like I also need the new build of UberKernal for the compcache feature to work, correct?

I currently have UberKernal 1.4.1 and Govnah 0.5.0 and cannot find the compcache feature.
    Using Palm Pre on Sprint
    how to enable compcache?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Govnah 0.5.0 is released to the public feeds.

Major new features include Pixi support, memory reporting and Compcache configuration.

Note that none of the predefined profiles include Compcache support - you should choose the profile you want, then enable Compcache if you desire, and then save that as a new profile, then select the new profile to make it sticky.

-- Rod
    Have quite a few friends/family that would love to Overclock their Pixi... Is there a Kernel better or worst? & Safest freq.?
    I'm gonna do some research a bit later but any help would be appreciated!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Can someone explain to me what is Compcache and what it does?
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_dov View Post
    how to enable compcache?
    I would like to know that too since it is not a true or false but a numeric value.
    What are the best preference settings & profile settings and such for the pixi+ on verizon? I downloaded govnah but have no idea how to use it lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Can someone explain to me what is Compcache and what it does?
    My understanding is that Compcache allows a fix amount of ram to be set aside and all memory that gets allocated to that portion of ram is compressed allowing your pre to have more ram virtually.

for example. If you have the sprint pre which has 256mb of ram and you set Compcache to 16mb. At that point you have 240mb of normal ram and 16mb which allows compressed content. so if say any content could be compressed to half its original size then that 16mb could hold 32mb of compressed content meaning that your new total amount of ram would be 240mb + 32mb = 272mb.
    but the actual increase in ram depends on how much the actual content can be compressed.
    I have the warthogKernel installed and today I updated Govnah to the newest version.I noticed that there are Compcache settings, the enabled field which takes a numneric value and the Memlimit which takes a numeric value as well.

what are the best settings for these fields?
    Heya - first you need to tell us which device you're using Pre or Pre+?
    About ready to install newest uberkernel so I can get on this compache thing and see if it makes a difference....hope so!
    have been using screenstate 800/250 for months now.....downloaded update to both govnah and uberkernal and now phone freezes on wakeup from anything below 500.....have to pull battery and reboot, if i was fine at 250 before update why not now?
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    I have the same questions.

Sprint Pre - Uberkernal with Compcache at 16MB, Screenstate 500-720 (as I heard that going below 500MHz does not work for scaling)

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I have the same questions.

Sprint Pre - Uberkernal with Compcache at 16MB, Screenstate 500-720 (as I heard that going below 500MHz does not work for scaling)
    Yeah some devices don't respond well to scaling below 500MHz. Like mine for example. lol
    I have a Sprint Pre also.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I have a Sprint Pre. What compcache settings do I need for that? How can I tell if it's working?
    have been using screenstate 800/250 for months now.....downloaded update to both govnah and uberkernal and now phone freezes on wakeup from anything below 500.....have to pull battery and reboot, if i was fine at 250 before update why not now?
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Heya - first you need to tell us which device you're using Pre or Pre+?
    Sprint Pre
    Guys, I'll try and explain this the best way I can. The short version is this: Basically nobody can tell you what the best compache memlimit is for you, because it will be different for everyone depending on how they use their phone.

How it works:
    The Sprint Pre has 256MB RAM in total - a certain proportion of this is dedicated to actually running the system, which is why the compache memlimit only lets you choose up to 128MB.

Now let's say you choose a 16MB memlimit - this reserves and locks 16MB of RAM and then converts it into virtual space that accepts compressed data - effectively meaning that your 16MB has just (theoretically) transformed into 32MB (or more, or less) - so you've just increased the number of apps you can open (or the quantity of RAM that they have available to them).

The problem is that this 16MB is now reserved for your apps. The danger comes when you reserve so much RAM for compache that you use all of your physical RAM up - if the RAM is full, then the system uses what's called a swap area which behaves like RAM but is actually flash which is MUCH slower.

Now, imagine you'd reserved 128MB for compache and you're running several 3D games - well you'll definitely run out of physical RAM, and the system will begin to use swap - if somebody then phones you, or your device tries to do a backup, or you get an email, or a calendar alert comes through, the swap area will have to deal with it - as a result you might miss your notification or the process might fail altogether.

So, in other words:

1) The Light User
    If you are the sort of person who only ever runs 2-3 light apps at a time such as Messaging, Calendar and maybe a twitter client - then you'd be safe to choose 128MB compache (but you really wouldn't need to because you already have enough RAM to do that).
    Result: Choose a low memlimit like 16MB for a small but hopefully noticeable boost.

2) The extreme user
    If you're the sort of person who likes to run two 3D games at once as well as a browser window and some other cards, setting the memlimit to 128MB would definitely be advantageous, but you are much more at risk to the dangers described above.
    Result: If you want to run loads of cards and you're not worried about missing any calls or notifications etc, choose a high memlimit of 96MB or 128MB this will give you the best performance to be able to do that.

3) The average user
    If you like to mix it up - a bit of light usage but sometimes a 3D game or three heavy websites at a time - you might like to set your memlimit halfway, perhaps between 32MB-64MB.
    Result: Choose a modest memlimit like 32MB or 48MB - good for the average user who occasionally makes heavy use of their phone.

So you see, the higher the memlimit, the more performance you can squeeze out of your phone, but the more you risk drowning out other processes which may (or may not) be important to you. Therefore, you can choose how much or how little RAM to dedicate to compache based on how much risk you are willing to take and how much performance you wish to gain.
    Last edited by errade; 06/28/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dokers View Post
    I have a Sprint Pre. What compcache settings do I need for that? How can I tell if it's working?
    If you have the current version of the Uberkernel v1.4.1-48 and Govnah v0.5.0, Open Govnah and tap govenor, on the bottom set compcache enabled to true and then tap Apply settings.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation