Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by proudfrog View Post
    Thanks. Should I also increase the min freq of each of the other governors?
    I believe if you set the min frequency in one, then it sticks in the kernel for the others.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I believe if you set the min frequency in one, then it sticks in the kernel for the others.

-- Rod
    Yup. That's what it looks like. One for all, all for one....
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    it would be nice to be able to "reset" time_in_state. This would work by having Govnah re,ember the current values when you choose to reset them and then to substract then rememberwd values from the current value qhen they are displayed.

this would enable one to more easily monitor the effect of different governor settings.

what do you think?
    This would be really useful. Also, i'd love to see some sort of graphical representation of time_in_state that indicates the deltas for each clock speed since the last time govnah updated.

So, say within a 10 second update interval, it spends 10% of the time at 250, then 30% at 500, and the remaining 60% at 800-- The larger the percentage, the greater the intensity with which that bar is graphically highlighted in the govnah UI. Not sure this is the best way to do it, but it's a thought.

Awesome work as always, fellas.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    This seems to be the case from what I've observed.

Possibly related-- I experienced a case in which I was unable to change the minimum frequency to anything below 500MHz after using the screenstate governor. When I switched back to ondemand, it still scaled just fine, but only between 500MHz and higher frequencies. I checked and double checked the minimum frequency in the settings for each governor type and all showed 125Mhz... Tried changing the minimum to 250MHz numerous ways including command line, no dice. Tried simply setting the device speed to 250MHz without any scaling. Clock speed went to 500MHz. A device reset got it back to normal, and everything has worked fine ever since, even switching between screenstate and ondemand governors multiple times.

Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    tried to add a custom feed to Preware- getting an error message "file not found"... help!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    it would be nice to be able to "reset" time_in_state. This would work by having Govnah remember the current values when you choose to reset them and then to substract then rememberwd values from the current value qhen they are displayed.

this would enable one to more easily monitor the effect of different governor settings.
    Certainly a good idea. I will try to think of a way to do this in the GUI so it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    I'd love to see some sort of graphical representation of time_in_state that indicates the deltas for each clock speed since the last time govnah updated.

So, say within a 10 second update interval, it spends 10% of the time at 250, then 30% at 500, and the remaining 60% at 800-- The larger the percentage, the greater the intensity with which that bar is graphically highlighted in the govnah UI. Not sure this is the best way to do it, but it's a thought. .
    Also a good idea. I had a little trouble with how best to graphically display the time_in_state on the main scene so it would fit in the 320x30 row container. But I'll give your idea some thought, see if I can make it or something like it work.

I do plan on having a full-scene graph display for time_in_state like the others. But have it a stacked line graph showing % of total time in state over time. Something like this but with appropriate data.

Of course, I'll have to make my graphing code a lot better before that works anything like it currently does in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Alik R View Post
    tried to add a custom feed to Preware- getting an error message "file not found"... help!
    This explains it pretty good.
    Hello.

I have the Govnah set to ondemand. I have set the minimum frequency at 250mhz, but when I check it still drops to 125mhz. (I turned the phone off and reset the Govnah settings and still get the same

What should I do?

An unrelated question: What is the normal operating temperature for the CPU and what is a dangerous temperature?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafanton View Post
    Hello.

I have the Govnah set to ondemand. I have set the minimum frequency at 250mhz, but when I check it still drops to 125mhz. (I turned the phone off and reset the Govnah settings and still get the same

What should I do?

An unrelated question: What is the normal operating temperature for the CPU and what is a dangerous temperature?
    Dropping down to 125MHz is a known issue, and last time I heard they haven't pinpointed exactly why it happens. As for operating temperature, I think anything below 50c is considered to be "safe".
    thnx.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I have Govnah v0.2.5 installed. I cannot find the powersave_bios setting. I have the screenstate governor selected. thorne
    Last edited by thornev; 05/03/2010 at 03:58 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I have Govnah v0.2.5 installed. I cannot find the powersave_bios setting. I have the screenstate governor selected.
    Not all governors have the same settings. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $powersave_bias$ $is$ $only$ $in$ $the$ $ondemand$ $governor$.

Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Also, although I've selected 250 as the minimum freq and I've had the phone display off most of the day, the freq graph shows I've been on 800 most of the day. I have turned the screen on and off since I took it off the Touchstone this morning.
    This isn't really the right thread for such a question, as it pertains to the governor in the kernel, not govnah itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Certainly a good idea. I will try to think of a way to do this in the GUI so it makes sense.
    Perhaps you can keep state in the app so that clicking on "reset" would just persist the current values for time_in_state. Then, the relative time_in_state can be calculated by subtracting the saved time_in_state from the current values. You could do this entirely in the UI by persisting to the sqlite DB but you would have to handle the reboot condition by doing something like persisting the last boot time and comparing against the last boot time at Govnah startup. You could also make changes to the back-end service to support the reset use-case. It's probably easier to implement but not self-contained in the UI.

Also a good idea. I had a little trouble with how best to graphically display the time_in_state on the main scene so it would fit in the 320x30 row container. But I'll give your idea some thought, see if I can make it or something like it work.

I do plan on having a full-scene graph display for time_in_state like the others. But have it a stacked line graph showing % of total time in state over time. Something like this but with appropriate data.
    I agree with your thoughts that the stacked line graph is a nice way to represent that information.
    Is there a list availible that explains what each governor does?
    I know screenstate is on800 off500 simplicity. What about the others?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    Perhaps you can keep state in the app so that clicking on "reset" would just persist the current values for time_in_state. Then, the relative time_in_state can be calculated by subtracting the saved time_in_state from the current values. You could do this entirely in the UI by persisting to the sqlite DB but you would have to handle the reboot condition by doing something like persisting the last boot time and comparing against the last boot time at Govnah startup. You could also make changes to the back-end service to support the reset use-case. It's probably easier to implement but not self-contained in the UI.
    Not exactly what I was meaning when I said I would think about how it would make sense in the GUI, I was just thinking about where said reset button would go, not how it would be handled.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I agree with your thoughts that the stacked line graph is a nice way to represent that information.
    Yeah, I just need to make the graphing code more better

Of course, I'll have to make my graphing code a lot better before that works anything like it currently does in my head
    I definitely like your idea of using that stacked rounded-line graph in full screen... that would be very cool.. I'd wager that kind of graph is a ***** to code efficiently (or at all..), but it sure would be pretty

Looking forward to seeing what comes next! Great work as always!
    Xenoc

Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Is there a list availible that explains what each governor does?
    I know screenstate is on800 off500 simplicity. What about the others?
    Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It's also got changes to the choices for sampling_rate and powersave_bias that were suggested in the kernel thread.
    That was the first thing I noticed. Thanks!
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    So far the only addition I have thought of so far is the previous mentioned percent of total time for each time in state. So for it's graph on the scene with the short graphs this could be xx% over each bar. where xx% is the share of total time for each time in state. Or the info available in a larger if the small ones in the all view is too small to work well. At least this is probably how I would do it.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Rod any solution for those people that lost universal search after loading govnah?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    Rod any solution for those people that lost universal search after loading govnah?
    This is the first I've heard of it. Is there a repeatable test case that does not involve other overclocking solutions being used in the past? I cannot reproduce that problem here.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast