Page 18 of 96 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you running the alpha-testing UberKernel 1.4.x-37 ? The public release of UberKernel does not have compcache support yet.

-- Rod
    Aha! That explains everything. Heh. Of course I'm not, (just call me dork) 'cause I haven't quite exactly gotten around to adding the kernel testing feed. Oops
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Wow! That is excruciating. I am not a technical expert by any means but i notice that memchutefree is 60848kb, is there any way that some of that can be allocated to memfree 4740kb? Just curious
    Memchute free (in UberKernel -37) shows the total of free ram and swap.

In normal Palm kernels, it only shows free ram. It's an experiment to see if that affects the TMC trigger threshold.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Out of curiosity, is this issue being addressed in future Govnah releases? I like using minimum brightness, and it worked fine with v0.4.1, but v0.4.2 has this problem and I have to keep the screen turned up (and using more battery power). I'm using UK -21, and screenstate 720/250MHz.

BTW, I've found 8% is enough to keep it active at the proper frequency.

Also, with the screen turned up a drop still occurs - when the screen dims to the lowest setting prior to turning off, Govnah shows the frequency dropping to 500MHz again.

Or alternatively, can I go back to 0.4.1? I don't see it on Preware or on the Govnah webos internals page. I'd gladly go back to it if I could.
    This has nothing to do with govnah and everything to do with the kernel. Going back to a previous version of govnah will solve none of your problems.
    Yes, if it's removing your existing flash-based swap, but is unable to enable the ramzswap kernel module for some reason, then you would be left without any swap space and would get TMC errors.
    I've confirmed that some people are experiencing this very case.

Govnah 0.4.5 will identify this case and present you with an error message. Disable compcache and then re-enable compcache until you get a successful re-enable. I'm working on a better fix.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I experienced a problem with my Govnah dropping things and sticking at 100mhz making my Palm Pre unusable. Figured it out after trying to reboot and things not resetting simply switching from Screenstate to Conservative and bumping the lowest setting to 500mhz.

System now working...running Govnah v0.4.2 and the latest F104. Thanks Sorli...
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Trying to apply the settings with compcache enabled, I get this error:

insmod: can't read
    '/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc/ko': No such file or directory

Any ideas? Running F104.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpankoe View Post
    Trying to apply the settings with compcache enabled, I get this error:

insmod: can't read
    '/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc/ko': No such file or directory

Any ideas? Running F104.
    F102 and F104 kernels do not allow configuration of compcache via Govnah.

You need to be running UberKernel 1.4.x-37 or later to use those options.

-- Rod
    UberKernel 1.4.x-40 is now in alpha testing, along with Govnah 0.4.6

Govnah 0.4.6 will no longer show the compcache controls if they are not useful for the kernel you are running.

-- Rod
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-40 and Govnah 0.4.6

Some input testing and bug reports:

-Profile area lists profiles as "Unknown" in the main scene for any profile I have personally created and selected.
    -When I select the governor item in the main scene, it shows the settings as userspace/screenstate (hard to tell), yet the governor is conservative.

Example: I have conservative selected and being used, but when I go to change the settings it is express as above.

Suggestion:
    - Report the percent variables that affect the thresholds for the conservative governor (CPU load/usage?). I don't understand how to interpret the Load Average numbers.

I can provide screenshots if necessary.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post

-Profile area lists profiles as "Unknown" in the main scene for any profile I have personally created and selected.
    -When I select the governor item in the main scene, it shows the settings as userspace/screenstate (hard to tell), yet the governor is conservative.

Example: I have conservative selected and being used, but when I go to change the settings it is express as above.

Suggestion:
    - Report the percent variables that affect the thresholds for the conservative governor (CPU load/usage?). I don't understand how to interpret the Load Average numbers.

Pre or Pixi ?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I can confirm this on my Bell Pre with the same kernel and govnah. Deleting and re-installing Govnah as well as deleting all profiles doesn't change the behaviour.

Also, there is no way (That I can see) to resave a changed profile. If I save a profile with the one I want to overwrite, it just creates a new profile.
    PalmPilot Pro --> Palm III --> Palm V --> Palm 505 --> Treo 700p --> Palm Pre

Suggestion:

Quote Originally Posted by loftwyr View Post
    I can confirm this on my Bell Pre with the same kernel and govnah. Deleting and re-installing Govnah as well as deleting all profiles doesn't change the behaviour.

Also, there is no way (That I can see) to resave a changed profile. If I save a profile with the one I want to overwrite, it just creates a new profile.
    well then update to 0.4.7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well then update to 0.4.7
    When I downloaded the latest version, it was 0.4.6. I guess the new version is in response to my bug report?

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby

Pre or Pixi?
    Sprint Pre

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Not sure if it's because of the new kernel[-43] or Govnah[.7], but every time my screen partially dims, the Pre totally hangs. Battery pull is all that resets.
    I started using screenstate with compcache enabled at 16MB 800/250mHz.
    Suggestions appreciated.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not sure if it's because of the new kernel[-43] or Govnah[.7], but every time my screen partially dims, the Pre totally hangs. Battery pull is all that resets.
    I started using screenstate with compcache enabled at 16MB 800/250mHz.
    Suggestions appreciated.
    That means your specific phone cannot operate reliably at 250MHz.

Use the provided 500/800 screenstate instead, and never clock your device below 500 ever again.

There's a reason why we don't provide predefined profiles that go below 500MHz ... some devices simply cannot handle it at the hardware level - you have one of those devices.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    That means your specific phone cannot operate reliably at 250MHz.

Use the provided 500/800 screenstate instead, and never clock your device below 500 ever again.

There's a reason why we don't provide predefined profiles that go below 500MHz ... some devices simply cannot handle it at the hardware level - you have one of those devices.

-- Rod
    Prior to using this kernel and govnah combination, I was always using 250 as my minimum. I tried 125 a few times, but that would occasionally get me a hang.
    But I see what you're saying... the key word is "reliably".
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Rod -- As you probably know by now, I am running a Sprint Palm Pre, with the latest Govnah and Uberkernel from the testing feeds (including testing kernel feed)... I am running with Screenstate 500/800, with compcache enabled (at 16 MB limit)

Everything works fine when I have the phone on the touchstone, plugged into a wall AC charger, or not plugged in. It moved from 800 when the screen is on, and switches to 500 when off. However, I have recently been charging up in my car using with a Sprint-branded charger and a Palm-branded charger, and I have noticed that the Freq will not go above 500 when charging. I can unplug the device, and it will jump up to 800, but not when it's plugged in. (FYI, I am just reading what is listed in govnah, and not confirming via command line because I couldn't remember what the right command was to tell).

anyway, have you heard of anyone else having this issue?

thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod -- As you probably know by now, I am running a Sprint Palm Pre, with the latest Govnah and Uberkernel from the testing feeds (including testing kernel feed)... I am running with Screenstate 500/800, with compcache enabled (at 16 MB limit)

Everything works fine when I have the phone on the touchstone, plugged into a wall AC charger, or not plugged in. It moved from 800 when the screen is on, and switches to 500 when off. However, I have recently been charging up in my car using with a Sprint-branded charger and a Palm-branded charger, and I have noticed that the Freq will not go above 500 when charging. I can unplug the device, and it will jump up to 800, but not when it's plugged in. (FYI, I am just reading what is listed in govnah, and not confirming via command line because I couldn't remember what the right command was to tell).

anyway, have you heard of anyone else having this issue?

thanks
    Adam
    The latest change Marco made to screenstate is intended to limit the frequency to 500MHz when the device is being charged at 1000mA. Seems to be working perfectly in your case (assuming your car charger is charging at 1000mA)

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    am I able to select a manual setting in between 250-500? or do you have to stick to 125-250-500-725-800?
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gage View Post
    am I able to select a manual setting in between 250-500? or do you have to stick to 125-250-500-725-800?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $have$ $to$ $stick$ $to$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $available$ $frequencies$:

125-250-500-550-600-720-800MHz