Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've set up OpenVPN to virtually place my pre on my home network using a TAP interface bridged to my server pc's LAN interface.

it's been working great, but with one strange problem.

i have a http server on my home network that accepts connections only from its own subnet, and simply gives access to a directory tree where all my documents are stored.

when connecting via vpn i am able to connect to this server, browse everywhere in it, even tap media files and stream them, but if i orange-tap and choose to download anything, the download fails.

i have found that retrieving files from this http server using wget from the command line will work just fine, but i don't understand why the browser can't download anything for me.

when at home and connected to this same network via wifi, choosing the download option from the browser works without a hitch.

if anyone has knowledge of what causes this type of thing, please help me out D: i've not found anything helpful searching these forums or google.
    Check the download directory of the browser. To me it looks like you don't have write permissions to the download dir. (read only mount?)
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    same download directory used by the pre's browser in both situations. /media/internal/downloads
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    One thing that I have noticed using OpenVPN with a TUN connection is that the Pre seems to have routing ghosts hiding deep inside it's architecture. No matter how hard I tried, the )($)@?(!*$%! thing would not send IMAP traffic over the VPN link. I had an IMAP server on a private subnet that I simply wanted to query for alert messages via OpenVPN, but the phone insisted on sending IMAP traffic over the air instead of through the tunnel with traceroute and other packets to the same host. My conclusion at the time was that Palm had an IMAP idle service running in the background, which handled all IMAP traffic so that the phone could deal with powering down the radio.

Could they have done the same thing with web broswer downloads? I don't know, and I can't say that I've ever used TAP mode in OpenVPN to know if that may be the problem. The only other thing that I can think of is that the server's configured DNS name isn't resolving from your phone, and for some reason it is giving you it's internal DNS name when you select download.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    No matter how hard I tried, the )($)@?(!*$%! thing would not send IMAP traffic over the VPN link.
    LOL... That sounds awfully familliar. Check my very first post on precentral: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ng-tables.html

Never got an answer though...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I got the same results trying TUN instead of TAP. I've also tried configuring the vpn to forward all traffic through the vpn. Same results, but for all I know the browser might be still behaving just as you've suggested. I'm not sure how to find out if this is the case.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    How about installing the Debian chroot, X server, and Firefox (Iceweasel) to rule out WebOS having some sort of proxy web service running on the back end? You said that wget works, so trying a different web browser seems like the logical next step (albeit with a huge hassle if you don't have that stuff set up yet).....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    How about installing the Debian chroot, X server, and Firefox (Iceweasel) to rule out WebOS having some sort of proxy web service running on the back end? You said that wget works, so trying a different web browser seems like the logical next step (albeit with a huge hassle if you don't have that stuff set up yet).....
    i just logged in to post findings from your very suggestion!

prior to working on this vpn debacle, i had been working on finding a decent X vnc client that would run in debian chroot, vinagre in full screen mode works surprisingly well (unless you need to right click D: )

iceweasel's download manager has had no problems downloading from my http server via vpn.

looks like that's going to be my best bet until palm adds vpn to webos.

when doing all this~ iceweasel browser downloading, and the VPN connected, the device heats up to 43C+ very quickly, and the battery drain is atrocious.

before endeavoring to get this to work over vpn, i had tried just a SSH tunnel:

ssh username@myserver.net -x -T -N -L 8088:127.0.0.1:80

server is freesshd, running as a windows vista service, tunneling only, no terminal, no scp.

this worked as far as browsing the site goes, but again, no browser downloads, and when trying with wget, the ssh connection would error out after about 2mb transferred. (terminal output from error attached) Streaming didn't work either through the ssh tunnel.

is there something else i can try using an SSH tunnel that might work to allow streaming and at the very least wget downloads if not browser downloads?

i expect doing this with the ssh tunnel (if possible) would be much less work for the pre. I use a tunnel for vnc often and haven't noticed the device getting hot, or an enormous battery drain while doing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images