Page 98 of 145 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    I have been using UberKernel for months with no real issues. I don't consider myself a tech person but was able to fumble through the instructions and get PreWare and Uberkernel/Govnah installed.

Two days ago Preware said an update was available for UberKernel, but when I tried to update I received the following error.

Any ideas? I can't uninstall either.

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm: cd: line 23: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre/additional_files
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm: cd: line 23: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre/additional_files
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball
  2.    #1942  
    Install the recovery kernel, then reinstall UberKernel.
    -- Rod
    So simple! And I should have RTFM as it was right there! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Install the recovery kernel, then reinstall UberKernel.
    -- Rod
    About a week ago I recently updated some apps through Preware (v1.5.0) including UberKernel v1.4.5-158 dated 1/10/11. Since then my Wifi has shut off and just doesn't want to turn on. From the Wifi app, I can flip the switch but it does not begin to search for any signals. If I can close the app and reopen it shows that its off again and this will keep repeating. When I try to use the top right drop down menu and select Turn on Wifi, it will begin the search (spin) but never acquire a signal. I did notice that when I first tried to install this UberKernel update, it gave me an error, but installed the second time quickly.

I did update the Music Player (Remix) 2.0 Beta v1.99.35 dated 1/7/11, but that works fine. I haven't really had any issues using my Verizon Pre + and wondering if I should try something else before doctoring it. I've read some posts saying to install the Palm Kernel which I see v1.4.5-9 dated 7/22/10 is available through Preware. I did remove UberKernel. I am however not using this as my primary phone right now so I don't have 3G access to connect. Is there a way to download the Palm Kernel onto the Pre? What other options should I try?

I appreciate the help and a big fan of Preware & UberKernel. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyaotl View Post
    About a week ago I recently updated some apps through Preware (v1.5.0) including UberKernel v1.4.5-158 dated 1/10/11. Since then my Wifi has shut off and just doesn't want to turn on. From the Wifi app, I can flip the switch but it does not begin to search for any signals.

What happens when you uninstall UberKernel?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    What happens when you uninstall UberKernel?

M.
    Like nothing has changed. In Govnah I can only run with the Palm Default mode, even though it still shows the other previous options.
    Are you guys going to have uberkernel adapted for 2.0 soon? or did I miss something?
  8.    #1948  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Are you guys going to have uberkernel adapted for 2.0 soon? or did I miss something?
    UberKernel/Pre2 is in the testing feeds now, but without any overclocking features (it has all the other features of UberKernel).

F14/Pre2 and SR71/Pre2 are also in the testing feed - both are alpha testing the overclocking code which will eventually migrate to UberKernel when the overclocking stability limits are found.

The Pre2 is the only device for which kernel source code for webOS 2.0 has been released.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    UberKernel/Pre2 is in the testing feeds now, but without any overclocking features (it has all the other features of UberKernel).

F14/Pre2 and SR71/Pre2 are also in the testing feed - both are alpha testing the overclocking code which will eventually migrate to UberKernel when the overclocking stability limits are found.

The Pre2 is the only device for which kernel source code for webOS 2.0 has been released.

-- Rod
    Oh alright, I have 2.0 on my sprint pre so I guess it wouldnt count for anything then. Is there a chance of you releasing it for 2.0 on the sprint pre before 2.0 comes out
    I think it's unreasonable to expect that they would (or could) develop for pirated software, especially when it would require them to acquire the same pirated code. WOSI have very hi standards for ethics. IMHO,
  11.    #1951  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Oh alright, I have 2.0 on my sprint pre so I guess it wouldnt count for anything then. Is there a chance of you releasing it for 2.0 on the sprint pre before 2.0 comes out
    The kernel source code (which is required to develop UberKernel) is only available for webOS 2.0 for the Pre 2.

Kernel source code is usually released by Palm a couple of weeks after the webOS Doctor public release.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it's unreasonable to expect that they would (or could) develop for pirated software, especially when it would require them to acquire the same pirated code. WOSI have very hi standards for ethics. IMHO,
    Im not saying I disagree, I just wanted to confirm everything so that I wasn't missing out on something.
    The kernel source code (which is required to develop UberKernel) is only available for webOS 2.0 for the Pre 2.

Kernel source code is usually released by Palm a couple of weeks after the webOS Doctor public release.

-- Rod
    Alright, thanks for the reply and all the work you and the guys have done.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am looking to install Uberkernel and have some questions.

1. When I install Uberkernel, do the apps I have installed on my Pre get erased? What about all of my settings and my files on the storage drive? Also, what happens to patches I have installed? Do they get erased or are they left on?

2. If I decide to revert back to the stock Palm kernel, how would I do so?

3. If the install fails and I end up bricking my Pre, how do I recover it?

I have never done any kernel changes before and would greatly appreciate any help.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Not sure there's any point to this story but just thought I'd share since it was a little bizarre:

I've had uberkernel for several months and love it. I usually don't leave my phone overclocked though. If I know I'm about to start running 4+ apps at once then I'll open Govnah and overclock then put it back to normal when I'm done.

A few days ago I went into Govnah and my only option was Palm Default. I searched around and looked at different preferences and couldn't figure out where the other settings went. I then looked through my launcher pages and couldn't find the uberkernel icon. So I went back to Preware and searched for uberkernel and it apparently wasn't installed anymore. I never uninstalled it, so it just erased itself when I wasn't looking. I re-installed and everything is working fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazac View Post
    1. When I install Uberkernel, do the apps I have installed on my Pre get erased? What about all of my settings and my files on the storage drive? Also, what happens to patches I have installed? Do they get erased or are they left on?
    You won't lose anything. The kernel has almost nothing to do with the pretty things you tap on. The kernel *is* the operating system (for the sake of arguement) underneath all of that. Nothing will change or be lost.

2. If I decide to revert back to the stock Palm kernel, how would I do so?
    Same way you installed it except you tap "Remove" instead of "Install". You *MUST* reboot after install/remove.

3. If the install fails and I end up bricking my Pre, how do I recover it?
    It is almost impossible to "brick" a Pre/Pixi. There are several emergency recovery methods that exist (thanks Palm! ). Honestly, it's not really something you need to worry about, though. UberKernel has really been beat up quite a bit and has become very trustworthy (probably even more so than Palm's...).

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

and since UberKernel alone won't do much at all for you (by design):

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

M.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    After yesterdays's announcements about no more updates for us, took the plunge on Uber Kernel. Should have done this last year... Amazing.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just upgraded my Pre (minus) to a Pre Plus on Sprint....trying to re-install all my patches etc and came accross this ehen trying to download UberKernel from Preware....

Please advise.

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    99 3481k 99 3467k 0 0 43047 0 0:01:22 0:01:22 --:--:-- 63289
    100 3481k 100 3481k 0 0 42973 0 0:01:22 0:01:22 --:--:-- 63119
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":5, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":5 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":5 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":5 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":5 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":5 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/System.map-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/config-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    Install the Recovery Kernel "Palm Kernel", reboot when told to, and try again.

M.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Install the Recovery Kernel "Palm Kernel", reboot when told to, and try again.

M.
    Thank you!!!
    It worked perfectly! I'm now Uber Charged again!