Page 97 of 145 FirstFirst ... 47879293949596979899100101102107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'm having a problem installing Uberkernel, which is particularly frustrating because I just doctored the phone. It's a Bell Pre Minus, and I used Bell's 1.4.5 webOS Doctor. After doctoring, the Palm Profile did its thing and restored App Catalogue apps. I then used WOSQI to throw on Preware and Save/Restore. I installed Unzip from Preware so I could restore Preware's saved packages list.

At this point I probably made an unwise choice, which was to let Preware install all saved packages (rather than starting with "major"/depended packages first). So the phone has some patches and services installed already.

Anyway, here's the log from Uberkernel:

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    89 3442k 89 3068k 0 0 364k 0 0:00:09 0:00:08 0:00:01 452k
    100 3442k 100 3442k 0 0 377k 0 0:00:09 0:00:09 --:--:-- 486k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":3, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":3 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":3 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":3 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":3 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":3 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel is not compatible with this webOS version, aborting
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Despite being quite sure Uberkernel supports webOS 1.4.5, I tried installing the Palm kernel, and got the exact same error:

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    90 2978k 90 2709k 0 0 355k 0 0:00:08 0:00:07 0:00:01 425k
    100 2978k 100 2978k 0 0 355k 0 0:00:08 0:00:08 --:--:-- 432k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre
    install
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel is not compatible with this webOS version, aborting
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre from root...
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    Aside from doctoring again, I'm not sure where to go from here. :-/
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
  2.    #1922  
    That error message is saying that the OS version is not compatible, which is very strange. I assume you're installing the kernel from the webos-kernels feed in Preware, which should point to the correct 1.4.5 version (if the feeds are named correctly, it updates this automatically on each boot).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I guess I must have made a mistake with my doctor version, because my phone is now offering me the 1.4.5 OTA update. Maybe I just need some strong coffee. :-(

Edit: Like a complete tool, I didn't even check what webOS version the phone was reporting before I applied the update. And I swear I used the 1.4.5 doctor, 'cause I was using it with webOSRepairUtility before doctoring. Oh well. At this point I'll just be happy everything's working, and blame Bell for any problems as usual.
    Last edited by Staedtler; 12/29/2010 at 08:27 AM.
  4.    #1924  
    Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    I guess I must have made a mistake with my doctor version, because my phone is now offering me the 1.4.5 OTA update. Maybe I just need some strong coffee. :-(

Edit: Like a complete tool, I didn't even check what webOS version the phone was reporting before I applied the update. And I swear I used the 1.4.5 doctor, 'cause I was using it with webOSRepairUtility before doctoring. Oh well. At this point I'll just be happy everything's working, and blame Bell for any problems as usual.
    Sounds like you simply used the 1.4.1 doctor instead of the 1.4.5 doctor - this would perfectly explain everything you've reported.

Use the WebOS Doctor Versions page on the webos-internals.org Wiki to get your doctors in future.

-- Rod
    works great for me thanks man!
    Out of curiosity...

No, I'm not just noticing this now, I've just grown curious enough to actually ask.

If principle #4 States: "A replacement kernel must not differ from the stock kernel at boot."

Why does UberKernel Changelog entry for 1.4.5-124 say: "Disable Palm diagnostics reporting when installed", but that's not what the official git repo says:

Direct link: git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/tag

Wouldn't disabling a system service that the User didn't request to happen, go against the the 4th principle, especially considering that's not the way the stock kernel acts when it's installed?

I assume that "Palm diagnostics reporting" refers to updated (oddly not rdxd since dump logs still build up) which is indeed stopped, not by my request, on my phone(s) for a while now.

I'm not trying to "stir the pot", I'm honestly just wondering.

M.
  7.    #1927  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Out of curiosity...

No, I'm not just noticing this now, I've just grown curious enough to actually ask.

If principle #4 States: "A replacement kernel must not differ from the stock kernel at boot."

Why does UberKernel Changelog entry for 1.4.5-124 say: "Disable Palm diagnostics reporting when installed", but that's not what the official git repo says:

[IMG]

Direct link: [url= Git - kernels/patches.git/tag[/url]

Wouldn't disabling a system service that the User didn't request to happen, go against the the 4th principle, especially considering that's not the way the stock kernel acts when it's installed?

I assume that "Palm diagnostics reporting" refers to updated (oddly not rdxd since dump logs still build up) which is indeed stopped, not by my request, on my phone(s) for a while now.

I'm not trying to "stir the pot", I'm honestly just wondering.

M.
    This behaviour was requested by the engineers responsible for Palm diagnostics.

The spurious crashes caused by people trying to push the limits of overclocking was making it harder for Palm to identify, diagnose and fix any real repeatable crashes on stock firmware.

The kernel actually operates the same, and does not violate the fourth principle. The installation script disables one of the system daemons ('uploadd', not 'updated') which run in userland.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This behaviour was requested by the engineers responsible for Palm diagnostics.

The spurious crashes caused by people trying to push the limits of overclocking was making it harder for Palm to identify, diagnose and fix any real repeatable crashes on stock firmware.

The kernel actually operates the same, and does not violate the fourth principle. The installation script disables one of the system daemons ('uploadd', not 'updated') which run in userland.

-- Rod

OK, I can totally see that. I'm not really 100% on how the UK install routine doesn't violate the 4th because the Palm install routine doesn't disable updated when it is "installed", but, I guess there really isn't much choice given whom the requst came from!

Thank you for the super speedy info Rod!

M.
  9.    #1929  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    OK, I can totally see that. I'm not really 100% on how the UK install routine doesn't violate the 4th because the Palm install routine doesn't disable updated when it is "installed", but, I guess there really isn't much choice given whom the requst came from!

Thank you for the super speedy info Rod!

M.
    Note that the 4th was very carefully worded, for this very reason.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the 4th was very carefully worded, for this very reason.

-- Rod

The fog! It's gone! I can see!

M.
    This has happened to me 4 times now (I know, shame on me) but every time I update Uber Kernel it kills media playback for me. I haven't complained in the past because I was always updating something else (usually Govnah) but this time I was careful to install each update separately. Actually this time I was even more careful by uninstalling Uber, then reinstalling it again with the update.

Once Uber killed media playback, I uninstalled it and installed the recovery kernal, which did not solve the problem. In the past I have used J. Rob's repair utility (can't remember the name right now) and resetting my Pre, but the only thing that fixes it is a full doctor.

I have a Pre -, just incase that matters. And by dead media playback, I mean in all aplications (video player, music player, Dr. Podder, Youtube, ringtones, etc.) Thanks in advance.
    I'm not quite sure where the problem lies. A few days ago I installed the recently updated FreeTether on my Sprint Pre-, and the features I could never figure out before magically worked. Then, the same day, I installed UberKernel. Later that day, I installed Govnah and cranked it up to "11". A bit after that, I was enjoying lag-free Angry Birds nirvana while flipping back and forth between some emails and text messages.

Fast forward a few hours and the battery was getting low; no surprise there. I didn't have my car charger, so I plugged the pre into another charger with much lower output, knowing I probably wouldn't actually charge much, but hoping it would last long enough for me not to get stranded in the woods. In another moment of clarity, I dropped the Govnah back down to Palm Default to save juice.

About 30 minutes later, I needed to make a call so I picked up my phone, and the screen was black. I pressed the power button and slid the slider up and down with an increasing fervor. I really needed to make a call! After several minutes with no response, I pulled the battery after several failed attempts at a restart.

When I replaced the battery, my phone booted up as usual, but I never got the Sprint in the top left and couldn't make calls. Also, the phone was so slow, it was literally unusable. When I checked the phone drop down, the phone was neither listed as off or on, but when I tapped it, it switched to "on". Upon closing and reopening the drop down menu, again it was neither off nor on. Multiple attempts to turn it "on" resulted in the same relapse.

I feared it was a problem with the Kernel, so with absolutely no evidence, I hopped back into preware and reverted to stock. When the phone rebooted, I got the dreaded Phone Offline message. Several reboots later and I was still suffering. My last resort before doctoring was to pull the battery again. I left it out for an hour.

When I replaced the battery this last time I put it on the stock palm charger. When sufficient time had passed to fully charge the battery, I powered on the phone and received a flood of backlogged voicemails and text messages, which confirmed that my phone was functional again.

My question: I seriously enjoyed the boost from the UberKernel, and I'd like to reinstall it. Is there anything else in my story that might suggest another culprit? I continued using the FreeTether with no issue afterwards, so I don't think that was an issue.

My apologies if such an issue has been resolved elsewhere. If that be the case, please point me in that direction.

Ive installed the newest version of Preware, then after installation was completed and pre was restarted I installed Uber-Kernal and Govnah. The phone restarted both times, and I still can't locate Uber-Kernal or Govnah. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or where/how to open these aps so I can make use of them?

Thank you in advance,
    -Brian
    You won't 'see' anything in Govnah, but you can now utilize UberKernel in Govnah. You just make up your settings in Govnah and Govnah uses the UberKernel features to clock your processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by yitz0550 View Post
    You won't 'see' anything in Govnah, but you can now utilize UberKernel in Govnah. You just make up your settings in Govnah and Govnah uses the UberKernel features to clock your processor.

Ok, I understand that now, but my problem is still that I can't get or find Govnah. It isn't showing up on any of my launcher pages and continues to show up under install through Preware..

I must have just missed a line or something when I was reading the "how-to" part about all this, lol. So any ideas if I might have missed something or just not looking in the right place for the Govnah app?

-Brian
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I just got a replacement Pre (I think I had the only Pre in history to go 22 months with zero hardware problems) and got to start fresh. Installed Uber and Govnah as well as tweaked EVDO and I can't believe this is a Pre!! It rocks now!

It sure will eat up a battery on 500/1000 though under heavy "playing". I have a whole new look at the Pre.
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Latest Uberkernel update (158) seems to have removed Govnah's ability to display custom/exact profile names.
    Last edited by GHT; 01/20/2011 at 11:32 PM.
  18.    #1938  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Latest Uberkernel update (158) seems to have removed Govnah's ability to display custom/exact profile names.
    Which version of Govnah?

-- Rod
  19. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Was at v0.7.19, updated to v0.7.20, as I thought the changelog was referring to that problem.

It's changing profiles properly, just not displaying exact names. For instance, I selct my Volt Test profile, and it displays Screenstate 500/1000. The applied voltages and settings are from my Volt Test profile, however.
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I re-saved my profile (save as new profile) with same name to overwrite profile. Govnah now displays the correct profile name.