Page 96 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4686919293949596979899100101106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #1901  
    Hi rod, I installed the pre2 Uberkernel (experimental) and I am not too sure what it does (bar the xbox 360 usb thing)

    Could you please in noob terms explain what it does, thanks
  2.    #1902  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Hi rod, I installed the pre2 Uberkernel (experimental) and I am not too sure what it does (bar the xbox 360 usb thing)

    Could you please in noob terms explain what it does, thanks
    It does exactly what is stated in its Preware package description.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #1903  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Hi rod, I installed the pre2 Uberkernel (experimental) and I am not too sure what it does (bar the xbox 360 usb thing)

    Could you please in noob terms explain what it does, thanks
    For my Pixi...it did absolutely nothing. Despite changing every setting imaginable, I could see absolutely ZERO difference in performance.

  4.    #1904  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    For my Pixi...it did absolutely nothing. Despite changing every setting imaginable, I could see absolutely ZERO difference in performance.

    Yes, a Pre 2 UberKernel is unlikely to have any effect on a Pixi.

    Neither will a Pixi UberKernel unless it is from the kernel testing feed (in which cases there is a separate experimental pixi overclocking thread which deals with that).

    Was the addressed to anything in particular?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #1905  
    Thanks for all your work Rod!!!
  6. #1906  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, a Pre 2 UberKernel is unlikely to have any effect on a Pixi.

    Neither will a Pixi UberKernel unless it is from the kernel testing feed (in which cases there is a separate experimental pixi overclocking thread which deals with that).

    Was the addressed to anything in particular?

    -- Rod
    My bad...I didn't see the "Pre2" part of that post.

    I was referring to the "official" UK/Govnah downloads via Preware that have had no noticeable effect on my Pixi.
  7.    #1907  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    My bad...I didn't see the "Pre2" part of that post.

    I was referring to the "official" UK/Govnah downloads via Preware that have had no noticeable effect on my Pixi.
    That is correct. The public release of UK for Pixi has no overclocking code in it. The testing release does. It is working for you exactly as designed (and exactly as documented in the description of the package in Preware).

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. #1908  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Palm usually releases kernel source code a couple of weeks after the corresponding webOS Doctor is released. There is no webOS 2.0 doctor for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ yet, hence no webOS 2.0 UberKernel for those devices either.

    As we did with UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre 2, we would expect to have UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ within 48 hours of Palm releasing the corresponding kernel source code.

    -- Rod
    Hey Rod, Regarding the kernel source for 2.0 question. The stuff Palm has released so far is for the Pre 2 w/ 2.0 correct? I see mention of the Pre for kernel_patches.tgz but it does not call out weither its the Pre2 or Pre and I assume their would be some cpu specific tweaks for the Pre2 kernel source.

    Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm
  9.    #1909  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Hey Rod, Regarding the kernel source for 2.0 question. The stuff Palm has released so far is for the Pre 2 w/ 2.0 correct? I see mention of the Pre for kernel_patches.tgz but it does not call out weither its the Pre2 or Pre and I assume their would be some cpu specific tweaks for the Pre2 kernel source.

    [url= Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm[/url]
    The 2.0 sources released so far are Pre 2 only.

    -- Rod
  10. #1910  
    Hi,

    I am a bit confused about the new VDD2 settings with the Testing Uberkernel.

    I understand that the 3 numbers represent when the processor is being used the highest (first number) mid use (second number) and lowest (last number)

    but they are just numbers, rather than mV representations, like with VDD 1.

    What is the lowest voltage I can apply to VDD2 without the phone crashing? Looking to save battery.

    Will this still work with 125mhz-1ghz scaling? Or does VDD2 only work with userspace (no cpu scaling)

    Finally, I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to have a kernel that not only Screenstate scales, but also has "on demand" scaling as well?

    So it could be like this:

    Screenstate splits up 2 ondemand states.

    Screen off: "Ondemand 125-500mhz"
    Screen on: "Ondemand 500mhz-1000mhz"

    That way with the screen off, the CPU could clock up to 500mhz if needed (like if you are streaming over Pandora or using Bluetooth) but not to 1ghz as its not really needed.

    then with the screen on, the scaling could ramp up to 500mhz-1ghz, but the 1ghz would only be needed when there is a user input. When nothing is going on but the screen is still on, the cpu would scale back down to 500mhz.

    It would be cool if there was voltage scaling attached to this as well for each setting, but I know I am asking a lot.

    Just offering a suggestion.

    Uberkernel is amazing though, keep it up!
  11. #1911  
    I tried to make a diagram quickly describing the suggestion I had, but it didnt work. ehhhh.
  12. #1912  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    but they are just numbers, rather than mV representations, like with VDD 1.

    You need up update Govnah. Oil fixed that a couple weeks ago.

    git.webos-internals.org Git - applications/govnah.git/commitdiff


    M.
  13. #1913  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am a bit confused about the new VDD2 settings with the Testing Uberkernel.

    I understand that the 3 numbers represent when the processor is being used the highest (first number) mid use (second number) and lowest (last number)
    I'd also like to know what's vdd2 about... but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $processor$ $is$ $running$ $at$ $a$ $single$ $voltage$ $at$ $each$ $speed$, $unless$ $you$'$re$ $using$ $AV8B$'$s$ $kernel$ &$amp$; $its$ $vdemand$ $governor$ ($isn$'$t$ $it$?) $8$-?

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    but they are just numbers, rather than mV representations, like with VDD 1.
    You may guess the formula by setting "manual entry" on in Govnah's preferences and comparing the voltages between both settings. Formula is:

    600mV + 12.5 * setting = actual mV

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    What is the lowest voltage I can apply to VDD2 without the phone crashing? Looking to save battery.
    I've been using 1300, 1212, 1137, 1062, 1012, 1025 & 975mV for some time now with no problems, but YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Will this still work with 125mhz-1ghz scaling? Or does VDD2 only work with userspace (no cpu scaling)
    No idea on vdd2 settings, but most people advise not to use speeds lower than 500MHz... I've found the following ondemand settings to work fast while not spending much battery:

    -ondemand
    -default up_thresold (80%)
    -poll 0.5s
    -powersave_bias 1
    -min freq 600MHz
    -max freq 1000MHz

    Hope that helps
  14.    #1914  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am a bit confused about the new VDD2 settings with the Testing Uberkernel.

    I understand that the 3 numbers represent when the processor is being used the highest (first number) mid use (second number) and lowest (last number)
    Please ignore the VDD2 settings in the latest testing UberKernel. They are not meant to be there, and will probably be removed from the next version.

    The three values are frequencies, as it happens. But UberKernel has no way to change the VDD2 frequency.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #1915  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The three values are frequencies, as it happens. But UberKernel has no way to change the VDD2 frequency.

    Frequency?


    M.
  16.    #1916  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Frequency?
    Sorry, the three values are voltages for each of three frequencies, not CPU loads as for the vdemand governor. Yeah, that's gonna confuse a lot of people, which is one reason I'm removing it from UberKernel.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #1917  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Sorry, the three values are voltages for each of three frequencies, not CPU loads as for the vdemand governor. Yeah, that's gonna confuse a lot of people, which is one reason I'm removing it from UberKernel.

    -- Rod

    Whew. I wasn't sure what to make of that.


    M.
  18. #1918  
    Thanks for the reply Rod!

    So, my understanding is that VDD2 is pretty useless if I am screenstate scaling anyways, as the VDD1 will change the voltage based on the cpu speed.

    PS: I had the opportunity to get a new phone on my plan, but the only thing offered on Bell was the same Pre Minus, but I got it anyways and then gave my old one to a friend.

    On my old Pre I could scale down to 125mhz screenstate off with a voltage of 912.5 mv, the lowest setting possible in UberKernel without issue.

    My new Pre crashes and restarts if I even use the 125mhz setting, even with a voltage of 1000 mv.

    is this just because my new Pre has a CPU that happens to be not as good as my old one I gave away? Just like the 1.2 ghz kernel only works on some Pre's?
  19.    #1919  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    On my old Pre I could scale down to 125mhz screenstate off with a voltage of 912.5 mv, the lowest setting possible in UberKernel without issue.

    My new Pre crashes and restarts if I even use the 125mhz setting, even with a voltage of 1000 mv.

    is this just because my new Pre has a CPU that happens to be not as good as my old one I gave away? Just like the 1.2 ghz kernel only works on some Pre's?
    That is correct.

    -- Rod
  20. #1920  
    Hi,

    I have some bad news. Well, for me, at least.
    The UberKernel/Govnah combo working on my previous first generation Pre in the screenstate 500/800 MHz mode is not working on my current first generation Pre. I had some freezes where my Pre just shut down after trying to wake it from standby. I then set the clock to 500 fixed and never had this problem ever since.

    Have you heard of this behaviour?

    Thanks and merry christmas.

    EDIT:
    Well, it froze today in 500 MHz only mode. It seems that it's not a UberKernel problem. So, disregard the upper text.
    Last edited by prenode; 12/27/2010 at 12:30 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions