Page 95 of 145 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aramova View Post
    Some of the Cadillac engines in the 90's had a technology that allowed them to shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders when they were not needed. The extremely heavy card would use all it's horse power (the full V8) when getting upto speed, but once on the highway, only needed a small fraction to keep momentum going.
    OK. This will be off-topic: I'll try to keep it short, but, being a car guy I can't let this stand. Variable displacement technology like you're describing exists in a few modern engines, mostly from Chrysler, Mercedes, and Honda. A few examples can be seen here: Variable displacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The miserable failure of a Cadillac motor you speak of was built in 1981, and was known by many colorful names. Officially, it was called the V8-6-4. The concept was fine, but GM managed to make every mistake possible in design and manufacture. The silver lining was that disabling the -6-4 part was fairly easy, and you were left with a fairly reliable and modestly powerful V8.
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    OK. This will be off-topic: I'll try to keep it short, but, being a car guy I can't let this stand. Variable displacement technology like you're describing exists in a few modern engines, mostly from Chrysler, Mercedes, and Honda. A few examples can be seen here: Variable displacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The miserable failure of a Cadillac motor you speak of was built in 1981, and was known by many colorful names. Officially, it was called the V8-6-4. The concept was fine, but GM managed to make every mistake possible in design and manufacture. The silver lining was that disabling the -6-4 part was fairly easy, and you were left with a fairly reliable and modestly powerful V8.
    I stand corrected

Either way, the principle is similar. You can't say just cause a CPU has 1000Mhz or a car engine has 350HP that it's going to always use so much fuel (electricity or gas)... it depends on how hard it's actually working.

Thats why heat is created, and dissipated via radiation in both -- the consumption and burning of energy (well, inefficient consumption. A truly efficient system would not waste any energy with heat production... part of why LEDs are more efficient then incandescent lights). Physics stay the same even if I get the models and years off a little on the engines

Back to topic though. OnDemand settings may have their place and be a good concept, but the way the phones use power management make more sense for "every day use" set to a screenstate 500/1000 config.

On-Demand makes power-savings sense in 3D/mostly high power apps, but, if you're running those, you want them to be smooth, and already don't care much about battery life, right?

Things like tethering, I always lock my CPU at 500mhz, the radios (EVDO and 802.11) make more than enough heat when doing that anyway.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    Its also called displacement on demand (DOD). My truck has it. And the concept is the same as a scaling a cpu. Bring the engine down from max to use less fuel when the power isn't needed and running at a steady speed. Then engage the 4 ******** cylinders to max displacement for faster gain.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aramova View Post
    I stand corrected

Either way, the principle is similar. You can't say just cause a CPU has 1000Mhz or a car engine has 350HP that it's going to always use so much fuel (electricity or gas)... it depends on how hard it's actually working.

Thats why heat is created, and dissipated via radiation in both -- the consumption and burning of energy (well, inefficient consumption. A truly efficient system would not waste any energy with heat production... part of why LEDs are more efficient then incandescent lights). Physics stay the same even if I get the models and years off a little on the engines

Back to topic though. OnDemand settings may have their place and be a good concept, but the way the phones use power management make more sense for "every day use" set to a screenstate 500/1000 config.

On-Demand makes power-savings sense in 3D/mostly high power apps, but, if you're running those, you want them to be smooth, and already don't care much about battery life, right?

Things like tethering, I always lock my CPU at 500mhz, the radios (EVDO and 802.11) make more than enough heat when doing that anyway.
    I find that my battery last far longer using Uber ondemand. I'm on my phone like a crack head! I had the F105 kernel for ever. Loved it, still may go back to it. I agree with you as for as quick performance. I notice from time to time (mostly when just waking up) the phone will take .5 of a sec longer to react then F105.

But, the battery gain I'm noticing with scaling makes me think, a little loss of performance to save battery maybe worth it. I just brought the upthreshold % down. So the cpu will scale higher more often to get that "race to idle" when needed.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I don't know why it took me so long to get the nerve to overclock -- but -- this is amazing! Thanks again to all of you for the hard work.

A noob question --> What is the 'Uberkernel default' profile? I'm currently using the Screenstate 500/1000 and loving it.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Well, despite the small battery gains and all our discussion with the Uber kernel. Its back to the F105 for me. I got a "to many card error" I haven't seen that since I first bought my Pre. And I've never seen it with the F105 Thunderchief.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    Well, despite the small battery gains and all our discussion with the Uber kernel. Its back to the F105 for me. I got a "to many card error" I haven't seen that since I first bought my Pre. And I've never seen it with the F105 Thunderchief.

I hate to be a Bubble Burster, but, the exact same TMC disabling code is in both...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I hate to be a Bubble Burster, but, the exact same TMC disabling code is in both...

M.
    Not true. My TMC disabling code (in F105, etc...) is brute force. UberKernel is more elegant.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 11/24/2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Not true. My TMC disabling code (in F105, etc...is brute force). UberKernel is more elegant.

Yea? I honestly didn't know that. I've been using UK for a couple / few months now and haven't seen a TMC and I'm not very kind to webOS (not as rough as you devs, though ).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yea? I honestly didn't know that. I've been using UK for a couple / few months now and haven't seen a TMC and I'm not very kind to webOS (not as rough as you devs, though ).

M.
    F105, SR71, etc... will never see a TMC, it will crash and burn 1st. Uber will throw a TMC before bailing out.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    F105, SR71, etc... will never see a TMC, it will crash and burn 1st. Uber will throw a TMC before bailing out.

Then I guess I've either been lucky, or not as rough as I thought. Still, that's good to know that I have a bit of a parachute with UK.

Thanks, 'Psycho!

M.
    ruh roh rorge -

Just installed uber - stuck in luna start right now.
    I haven't set up a term in yet but quickinstalls cmd line isn't quite flying. and being I've only had this little thing for about three days - I'm assuming the system is up but luna start is looping.

Thought I'd ask for a hint before I go into device pitch and recover mode.

Thanks
    Bricked.

There's a bit of a shocker for a kernel result.

-- meh - usb cable slipped - pulled battery - luna popped through on third try

no brick - only uber
    Last edited by ranpel; 12/03/2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: cuz I was wrong
    Ok....I think I messed up my phone. I got a used Palm Pre from a friend who already had Preware and Uberkernel installed. From what i've checked on the phone thats all he had. I used the phone with wifi only for about a week and decided to activate it. I was instructed to reset the phone by the Sprint rep and i didnt remove the kernel. So now i'm on the phone, re-downloaded Preware (it was erased). Now when i try to download the uberkerel it fails to download. I also downloaded Govnah and its allowing me to chose the 1ghz clock. The phone is as fast as my other overclocked Pre but i dont see the app for the uberkernel on my phone. So is the kernel there or not? The phone is slower when its placed on stock with Govnah.
    Sprint Pre retired....Motorola Photon (for now)
  15.    #1895  
    Full erase and webOS Doctor.

-- Rod
    Would it be possible to command line in, copy in the kernel files, place them appropriately and boot? Sounds like Sprint is heavy handing it a little just to get you going. Hopefully they just tried to move and hide what they don't deem appropriate. Worth a shot, might save time.. or not. And I would think it should definitely not be removing anything for a reset. Unless I misunderstand webos/sprint etc meaning of reset.. it doesn't mean to flash the thing does it? anyway good luck. r.
    My 15 year-old son is now happily running Uber at 1ghz. Yes, he knows the risks and what to do if something goes wrong. And yes, he had full permission, since I taught him how to do it and I paid for the phone and he's on my Sprint plan.

He loves Preware and the Pre.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I see via the webosinternals twitter feed that you guys are developing Uberkernel for Pre 2 (webOS 2.0 or 2.0.1). What's going to happen when webOS 2.0 is released for the original Pre; is there a Uberkernel build for original Pres running 2.0 ready and waiting? I ask as this Monday (December 6th) is the rumoured date for the OTA 2.0 update on o2 UK...
  19.    #1899  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I see via the webosinternals twitter feed that you guys are developing Uberkernel for Pre 2 (webOS 2.0 or 2.0.1). What's going to happen when webOS 2.0 is released for the original Pre; is there a Uberkernel build for original Pres running 2.0 ready and waiting? I ask as this Monday (December 6th) is the rumoured date for the OTA 2.0 update on o2 UK...
    Palm usually releases kernel source code a couple of weeks after the corresponding webOS Doctor is released. There is no webOS 2.0 doctor for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ yet, hence no webOS 2.0 UberKernel for those devices either.

As we did with UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre 2, we would expect to have UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ within 48 hours of Palm releasing the corresponding kernel source code.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Palm usually releases kernel source code a couple of weeks after the corresponding webOS Doctor is released. There is no webOS 2.0 doctor for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ yet, hence no webOS 2.0 UberKernel for those devices either.

As we did with UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre 2, we would expect to have UberKernel 2.0 for the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ within 48 hours of Palm releasing the corresponding kernel source code.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod! I wasn't aware if the webOS 2.0 open source packages Palm posted had kernel packages for the Pre & Pixi as well as the Pre 2.

Looks like it'll be a frustrating couple of days/weeks on my Pre with 2.0 if Palm take their time releasing the kernel source code!