Page 94 of 145 FirstFirst ... 44848990919293949596979899104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1861  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    2 questions...

what will be the next public release of uber? version number?

will uber be ready for webos 2.0 when it launches?
    1) No-one knows.

2) Depends on when Palm releases the kernel source code.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) No-one knows.

2) Depends on when Palm releases the kernel source code.

-- Rod
    thanks, just curious.
    Hi,

wanted to install uberkernel today via PreWare (newest version) but got the following message:

failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --create-dirs --insecure --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.1-87_arm.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...4.1-87_arm.ipk 2>&1
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404
    Any idea of what the problem might be?
    something's wrong with my Govanah - I use 250-->500 but every once in a while it just flips to 1GHZ and says profile 'unknown' - how can I reset Govanah?

Do I simply delete it and re-isntall? Anyone else wiht the same? Another pre in the family wiht same.

Been using 250->500 for a long time without issue. problem started occuring only recently and even then its intermittent. Maybe once every 2 days.
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 11/08/2010 at 08:26 PM.
  5.    #1865  
    Quote Originally Posted by -Wiski- View Post
    Hi,

wanted to install uberkernel today via PreWare (newest version) but got the following message:

Any idea of what the problem might be?
    Yes, you've not updated your feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #1866  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    something's wrong with my Govanah - I use 250-->500 but every once in a while it just flips to 1GHZ and says profile 'unknown' - how can I reset Govanah?

Do I simply delete it and re-isntall? Anyone else wiht the same? Another pre in the family wiht same.

Been using 250->500 for a long time without issue. problem started occuring only recently and even then its intermittent. Maybe once every 2 days.
    Which version of which kernel are you using? I need the 1.4.5-NNN version (the -NNN bit is the important bit).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Yeah, mine's does that, too, I posted about it in the Govnah thread, except I use screenstate 500/800. I'm using 1.4.5-121.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Which version of which kernel are you using? I need the 1.4.5-NNN version (the -NNN bit is the important bit).

-- Rod
    Govanah 0.7.4
    UberKernel 1.4.5-119 (preware->installed packages).

I did an 'update feeds" in preware and it did not suggest an upgrade. Known issue in Build 119?
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 11/09/2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah, mine's does that, too, I posted about it in the Govnah thread, except I use screenstate 500/800. I'm using 1.4.5-121.
    OK sorry I missed your post. I did a search before posting and did not see anything similar. I think your summary hits it right on the spot. Mine doesn't give any erratic side effects, except that it seems to be pegged at 1GHZ and the phone became warm in my pocket and I noticed the Govanah to be doing what we described above (unknown profile, stuck at 1GHZ).

For me, I need the battery to last a good 14 hrs as I might not be able to charge at work. Screenstate 250->500 or Screenstate 250->1GhZ is allowing me to do just that (allowing with a seidio 1350 batt).

THis issue must be with the latest (or latest few) UberKernel or Govanah - wasn't happening prior to a few weeks ago and I've been running Govanah without issue for months.
    Race to idle

I think there is alot of over-thinking going on....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Last night, I upgraded UberKernel to v. 1.45.95. (I think that was the version; if I could turn on the Pre, I could tell you for sure.) I've been running UberKernel (in Govnah?) for some time, and I've gotten pretty comfortable with its ability to manage battery while optimizing performance. Usually I have it set on "OnDemand".

This morning, at the end of a 20-minute call, the phone was warm. Not hot, but warm. Before I even hung up, the phone went catatonic.

Now, I can't even power it on. Is there any chance that UberKernel could cause something like this?

Does anyone have any tips for resuscitation?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckInReno View Post
    Last night, I upgraded UberKernel to v. 1.45.95. (I think that was the version; if I could turn on the Pre, I could tell you for sure.) I've been running UberKernel (in Govnah?) for some time, and I've gotten pretty comfortable with its ability to manage battery while optimizing performance. Usually I have it set on "OnDemand".

This morning, at the end of a 20-minute call, the phone was warm. Not hot, but warm. Before I even hung up, the phone went catatonic.

Now, I can't even power it on. Is there any chance that UberKernel could cause something like this?

Does anyone have any tips for resuscitation?

First of all, On Demand and Conservative are not good governors for this CPU. You shouldn't really be using them.

Second, pull the battery out (and put it back in after a few seconds) and then turn it on. It should be fine.

The greater question is what is your low CPU setting? Is it under 500MHz? If so, set it to 500MHz and no lower.

M.
    Taking the battery out restarted. Thank you! And I'll definitely select a different mode.

One of the benefits for UberKernel is to help my battery last longer. If the minimum speed is set at 500 MHz (the default from Palm) then I don't gain any battery life. That's one of my goals for using the UberKernel!

Second, what's the deal with On Demand? I'm going to change it, if for no other reason than I don't want to see the phone go catatonic again. But I assume that the options are each stable. Is that not correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckInReno View Post
    Taking the battery out restarted. Thank you! And I'll definitely select a different mode.

One of the benefits for UberKernel is to help my battery last longer. If the minimum speed is set at 500 MHz (the default from Palm) then I don't gain any battery life. That's one of my goals for using the UberKernel!

Second, what's the deal with On Demand? I'm going to change it, if for no other reason than I don't want to see the phone go catatonic again. But I assume that the options are each stable. Is that not correct?

First please Google "Race To Idle".

Long story short: The longer the CPU has to go full bore working on whatever its working on, the more power it consumes. If it takes 30 seconds at 250MHz to do something, then it'll only take 7 seconds at 1GHz before it can return to idle and consume next to zero power.

You cannot think about these mobile/embedded CPUs the same way you think about laptop/desktop/server CPUs (some netbooks aside). These will clock themselves down to (essentially) 0MHz when they are doing nothing. The Linux Kernel Governors were (originally) designed for Servers and Desktops (with Laptops being an after thought). UnixPsycho's Screen State governor is one (quite ingenious!) new Linux governor for this type of device.

Still, after running these modified kernels since February, I've found the best battery life can be found through not even scaling the CPU. I run straight 1GHz these days and it stays cooler and the battery lasts noticeably longer then with scaling. Mostly because the CPU finishes tasks MUCH faster and can drop to sleep MUCH faster.

I hope something in this helps some.

M.
    OK, I may have really screwed myself guys.

Shot background: I'm on my third Palm Pre in as many weeks - 1. Cracked Screen 2. replacement had to much refurbished coating on it and it was imposible to read. 3. Current Phone.

So, in an effort to minimize all the lost info, I turned to the thread Backup your Text messages and dutifully followed the instructions of coping and backing up my PalmDatabase.db3 file.

Back up went just dandy but on doing the restore things went south fast.

I was asked to restart my Palm almost a min or two after I did the restore. Hitting OK, it looked like it did a factory restore EXCEPT none of my apps were there from my Profile - my fist sign of something going wrong.

I have a huge contact list and it looked to be gone also until I loaded PocketMirror and all my contacts came back. Strange.

So I began to load all my favorite patches and such including Uber. This is where I get the error message My Kernel Did not match the original Kernal.

This is probably because I had already install the Uberkernal and it couldn't see that.

I've re-installed Govnah and sure enough, it works as if Uberkernal is there. But, it doesn't show on the screen or in the List of Installed stuff.

HELP!

I have inviabled my apps and patches.

Thanks in advance.

- Patrick
    @PF Graham:

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $have$ $to$:

1. try to uninstall UK from Preware (if it doesn't show up in Preware, then #2)
    2. load Preware and install the "Palm Kernel"; do not reboot the phone
    3. install UK

Hope that helps
  17.    #1877  
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    OK, I may have really screwed myself guys.

Shot background: I'm on my third Palm Pre in as many weeks - 1. Cracked Screen 2. replacement had to much refurbished coating on it and it was imposible to read. 3. Current Phone.

So, in an effort to minimize all the lost info, I turned to the thread Backup your Text messages and dutifully followed the instructions of coping and backing up my PalmDatabase.db3 file.

Back up went just dandy but on doing the restore things went south fast.
    There is a reason why I tell people that trying to restore a complete PalmDatabase.db3 file is extremely dangerous. Did that thread not have my warning in it?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    First please Google "Race To Idle".

Long story short: The longer the CPU has to go full bore working on whatever its working on, the more power it consumes. If it takes 30 seconds at 250MHz to do something, then it'll only take 7 seconds at 1GHz before it can return to idle and consume next to zero power.

You cannot think about these mobile/embedded CPUs the same way you think about laptop/desktop/server CPUs (some netbooks aside). These will clock themselves down to (essentially) 0MHz when they are doing nothing. The Linux Kernel Governors were (originally) designed for Servers and Desktops (with Laptops being an after thought). UnixPsycho's Screen State governor is one (quite ingenious!) new Linux governor for this type of device.

Still, after running these modified kernels since February, I've found the best battery life can be found through not even scaling the CPU. I run straight 1GHz these days and it stays cooler and the battery lasts noticeably longer then with scaling. Mostly because the CPU finishes tasks MUCH faster and can drop to sleep MUCH faster.

I hope something in this helps some.

M.
    I understand the concept of the "race to idle" idea. Same goes for racing a car to a set speed. But, I have to disagree with it, in this case.

If I am doing something quick on my phone, "race to idle" would be ideal. Problem is, I think many people are using their phone for more then a few seconds. Being gaming, chatting, web sruffing, etc,..

So this being said, if I am reading Precentral forum for 20 mintues at full bore (1Ghz). I am using the most possiable power for that 20 mintues. If my CPU is scaling, I may only be racing at 1Ghz to open the page, then running at 500Mhz or 800Mhz for the 20 minutes of reading. That would use far less power.

So like the car, if I race to a set speed and stay there. I may use far less fuel, but if I race with no set speed in mind and push the car to max, for an extended period of time. I will burn up all my fuel!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    There is a reason why I tell people that trying to restore a complete PalmDatabase.db3 file is extremely dangerous. Did that thread not have my warning in it?

-- Rod
    I've been screwing around with all this amazing patches and over-clocking and such for about a year now with no problems. In fact - the only problems I run into come from me having to reinstall everything every time my Pre dies or brakes or somesuch.

I haven't lost any critical data yet so I'm very lucky.

Nope, I didn't read how dangerous replacing that file was but I now see that.

No worries - I'll just start over.

Thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    I understand the concept of the "race to idle" idea. Same goes for racing a car to a set speed. But, I have to disagree with it, in this case.

If I am doing something quick on my phone, "race to idle" would be ideal. Problem is, I think many people are using their phone for more then a few seconds. Being gaming, chatting, web sruffing, etc,..

So this being said, if I am reading Precentral forum for 20 mintues at full bore (1Ghz). I am using the most possiable power for that 20 mintues. If my CPU is scaling, I may only be racing at 1Ghz to open the page, then running at 500Mhz or 800Mhz for the 20 minutes of reading. That would use far less power.

So like the car, if I race to a set speed and stay there. I may use far less fuel, but if I race with no set speed in mind and push the car to max, for an extended period of time. I will burn up all my fuel!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    That's true except for the fact that you're not looking at the speed of the car in this analogy, but the horse power.

Some of the Cadillac engines in the 90's had a technology that allowed them to shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders when they were not needed. The extremely heavy card would use all it's horse power (the full V8) when getting upto speed, but once on the highway, only needed a small fraction to keep momentum going.

This proved to be an engineering challenge for long-term engine design, which is why you don't see them in a lot of cars. But it was a cool concept.

CPUs are much the same way. Take a standard desktop CPU for example. Intel Q9400 Quadcore, overclocked to 3.5ghz. It will consume around 110 watts while under full load, and push core temps of 75C if not careful.

When idle, core temps sit in the 25-30C area (with a decent cooler), and power consumption drops to 40-50 watts.

the ARM cpu in the Pre is much similar. When overclocked, it needs more voltage, has a much higher power usage *potential*, and even a higher "active idle" power usage when clocked up. But that's still, over the long run, going to reduce power in standard apps/usage due to the speed vs. power consumption ratio.

3D games, PDK apps, things that tax the CPU alot, yes, you'll find a much warmer phone with shorter battery life. Browsing forums, websites, static things, I'd argue for the screen state power.

Afterall, when the pre is put into "Extreme idle" mode, i.e. closed, power button down, it suspends all processes, and in most cases when working properly drops down to and average of -20/-30mA per hour.

Just some thoughts... take it for what it's worth.