Page 91 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41818687888990919293949596101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
    I updated to the most recent version of Uberkernal yesterday via Preware. When I tapped on the button to restart after installing, the phone went to the "battery drained" screen (big battery empty icon) for about 3-4 minutes before it proceded to reboot - even though the battery was nearly fully charged.

What would have caused this? (There were no issues after it restarted, the battery percent still said 100%).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Just got the new UK -113 update, here's to hoping for a little more battery as it mentions in the changelog, however I do enjoy my custom 20% & 10% battery warnings I have installed.
    Just installed 113 and the new govanah via preware. On reboot i received the "No ROM" sign -- doctored back to 1.4.5 stock. Anyone else having this issue?

I did have to hit update twice in preware ... Maybe entire kernel didn't download?
  4.    #1804  
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerrx View Post
    Just installed 113 and the new govanah via preware. On reboot i received the "No ROM" sign -- doctored back to 1.4.5 stock. Anyone else having this issue?

I did have to hit update twice in preware ... Maybe entire kernel didn't download?
    We haven't encountered that before. The install scripts are designed to fail safe if anything is corrupted and leave you with a stock palm kernel.

Can you outline exactly what you had on the device before, what steps you took, and what happened? Do you have a stable internet connection?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We haven't encountered that before. The install scripts are designed to fail safe if anything is corrupted and leave you with a stock palm kernel.

Can you outline exactly what you had on the device before, what steps you took, and what happened? Do you have a stable internet connection?

-- Rod
    Was my wifes phone... DR brought it back... just reinstalled preware.

Had 6 or 7 patches, uberkernel set at 720/screenstate and the following apps:
    AccuWeather, OpenTable, Facebook, SkyBox, Puzzle XV, Bubbles (free), ePocrates, Fandango, Balloon Pop, Color Clip (Free), Tic Tac Relax. Everythign else stock.

Preware kept failing to update feeds during the process, had to run "Update feed" 2 or 3 times. 2 updates were available, Govnah and Uber. Updated Govnah (worked fine). Updated Uber - failed (but it looked like it didnt d/l it all). Tried a second time, same result. Third time it d/l'd & installed. Asked to restart, said yes, got the ROM screen.

And yes, I do have a fast/Stable internet connection
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerrx View Post
    Was my wifes phone... DR brought it back... just reinstalled preware.

Had 6 or 7 patches, uberkernel set at 720/screenstate and the following apps:
    AccuWeather, OpenTable, Facebook, SkyBox, Puzzle XV, Bubbles (free), ePocrates, Fandango, Balloon Pop, Color Clip (Free), Tic Tac Relax. Everythign else stock.

Preware kept failing to update feeds during the process, had to run "Update feed" 2 or 3 times. 2 updates were available, Govnah and Uber. Updated Govnah (worked fine). Updated Uber - failed (but it looked like it didnt d/l it all). Tried a second time, same result. Third time it d/l'd & installed. Asked to restart, said yes, got the ROM screen.

And yes, I do have a fast/Stable internet connection
    I'm chalking this up to being a "Weak" Sprint Pre. It runs Uber just fine, but always goes to a ROM screen with 113. My Sprint Pre takes 113 perfectly. Strange.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this, it's much appreciated!
    Hello everyone.

I'm currently converting the Javascript part of the hybrid app that I'm working on (the native version of the pReader, to be precise) for WebOS v1.4.1 to WebOS v1.4.5.

As you might know, WebOS v1.4.5 introduced a new Jailing daemon, that tries to prevents PDK apps from wreaking havoc. Anyway, during testing, I've noticed that the UberKernel seems to interact badly with that daemon. Normal run-of-the-mill PDK apps work just as well as with the vanilla kernel, but invoking it on hybrid apps causes the Jailer to panic with the following log-tail:

Code:
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1585 MOUNT:/var/run on /var/palm/jail/com.mhwsoft.nativeload/var/run
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1618 Skipping mount /var/run on /var/palm/jail/com.mhwsoft.nativeload/var/run: already mounted
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:543 SETENV: HOME /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.nativeload
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:553 SETRLIMIT: CORE INF INF
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1742 setrlimit CORE INF INF failed: unsupported limit
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:591 FILEWAIT: /tmp/pipcserver.HYBRID.1733 2000
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1561 filewait 2000ms failed
    Enter failed with error: "filewait failed" trying setup
    too many failures.. giving up!
    An error occured: too many failures.. giving up!
    The full log (and invoked command) for my jail-test can be found in this pastebin.

I've also posted this problem on the Palm Developer forums in this thread.

At the moment, I can live with using the vanilla kernel, but this is going to be a problem as soon as Palm allows Hybrid apps into the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I installed the newest kernel cause preware told me that there was an update for it. Now my add/delete pages is broken. Everytime Luna is restarted, the pages I create are deleted and all my icons go back to defaults.

Running uberkernel 113 on a palm pre.

Is there a way to revert back to the last kernel I had before the update??

Any help for this?

thanks
  9.    #1809  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hello everyone.

I'm currently converting the Javascript part of the hybrid app that I'm working on (the native version of the pReader, to be precise) for WebOS v1.4.1 to WebOS v1.4.5.

As you might know, WebOS v1.4.5 introduced a new Jailing daemon, that tries to prevents PDK apps from wreaking havoc. Anyway, during testing, I've noticed that the UberKernel seems to interact badly with that daemon. Normal run-of-the-mill PDK apps work just as well as with the vanilla kernel, but invoking it on hybrid apps causes the Jailer to panic with the following log-tail:

Code:
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1585 MOUNT:/var/run on /var/palm/jail/com.mhwsoft.nativeload/var/run
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1618 Skipping mount /var/run on /var/palm/jail/com.mhwsoft.nativeload/var/run: already mounted
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:543 SETENV: HOME /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.nativeload
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:553 SETRLIMIT: CORE INF INF
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1742 setrlimit CORE INF INF failed: unsupported limit
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:591 FILEWAIT: /tmp/pipcserver.HYBRID.
    debug:Src/jailmanager.cpp:1561 filewait 2000ms failed
    Enter failed with error: "filewait failed" trying setup
    too many failures.. giving up!
    An error occured: too many failures.. giving up!
    The full log (and invoked command) for my jail-test can be found in this pastebin.

I've also posted this problem on the Palm Developer forums in this thread.

At the moment, I can live with using the vanilla kernel, but this is going to be a problem as soon as Palm allows Hybrid apps into the App Catalog.
    I notice on your post on the developer forum that you were able to reproduce this problem on the stock Palm kernel - is that the case?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Looks as though the stock kernel does this too. ***. it worked fine a week ago??
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I notice on your post on the developer forum that you were able to reproduce this problem on the stock Palm kernel - is that the case?
    Yup, the jailer also fails with the stock kernel, so it's indeed not a problem with the kernels, but rather a design problem in the jailer/Mojo communication. The problem is that an IPC tunnel is not linked into the filesystem if you start the jailer first, since Mojo first has to detect that it deals with a Hybrid app to create the tunnel.

As Ben Combee pointed out, the hybrid apps themselves work fine (if you're careful in your JSJSJS $code$), $because$ $in$ $that$ $case$, $Mojo$ $starts$ $the$ $hybrid$ $app$ $before$ $starting$ $the$ $Jailer$ $daemon$. $So$, $it$'$s$ $really$ $just$ $an$ $issue$ $for$ $people$ $who$ $want$ $to$ $debug$ $the$ $apps$ $on$ $the$ $device$ $in$ $its$ $jailed$ $environment$. $Annoying$, $but$ $not$ $a$ $big$ $loss$.
    Hi,

i have notice also some strange behavior with the ueberkernel.
    First i am using a german palm pre 1.4.5 with ueberkernel 113 running screnestate 500/1000 - comcache=disabled, IO=CFQ, TCP=Cubic. After some time the pre shuts down when sleeping. The same happens on a second pre with the same settings.
    Which kind of information is needed for the developers, when i reboot the pre after the crash?

Kernel log over terminal (klog > kernellog.txt)
    message (var/log/message)
    dmesg over terminal (dmesg > dmesglog.txt)

klog gets his messages from the kernel buffer, will the buffer be overwritten when the pre is rebooted, so the messages before the crash are lost?

Are the others ways to get information why the crash occurrs?
  13.    #1813  
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ce View Post
    Hi,

i have notice also some strange behavior with the ueberkernel.
    First i am using a german palm pre 1.4.5 with ueberkernel 113 running screnestate 500/1000 - comcache=disabled, IO=CFQ, TCP=Cubic. After some time the pre shuts down when sleeping. The same happens on a second pre with the same settings.
    Which kind of information is needed for the developers, when i reboot the pre after the crash?

Kernel log over terminal (klog > kernellog.txt)
    message (var/log/message)
    dmesg over terminal (dmesg > dmesglog.txt)

klog gets his messages from the kernel buffer, will the buffer be overwritten when the pre is rebooted, so the messages before the crash are lost?

Are the others ways to get information why the crash occurrs?
    You need to immediately boot into recovery mode (power+vol-up) without removing power to the RAM, and then use novacom get file://klog to get the kernel log of the crash.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    What is the safest way to get in recovery mode without loosing power to RAM.
    I have notice some time when pressing power+vol the pre didn't recognize it and boots.

I found this example, which always worked for me and i think power will be guaranteed.

1) Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet
    2) Remove battery
    3) Press vol-up and reinsert battery
    4) When showing the large USB release vol-up
    5) Connect pre to pc and start novaterm

Is this way ok?
    Hi,
    I am brand new to this whole kernel and govnah stuff, I have a brand new Pixi and I am happy with the speed except for certain apps...so I found uberkernal, installed, and then installed govnah....my question is this: What is the safest yet most enhancing "profile" and settings to use? (non warranty breaking...although I do have that Doctor program, dont know how to do that yet)
    I tried searching, but it didnt give me any results that helped (only confused me more
    Hello 'new here'

To answer your question.

There is no 'perfect' setting when it comes to setting your preferences with Govnah. Uberkernel is quite safe and stable. It all really boils down to personal use, how much you use your phone, which apps you use often, and how much battery you are willing to drain on a daily basis. The higher the cpu frequency the more your battery takes a hit.

I have found a nice balance using the 800mhz personally
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Hello 'new here'

To answer your question.

There is no 'perfect' setting when it comes to setting your preferences with Govnah. Uberkernel is quite safe and stable. It all really boils down to personal use, how much you use your phone, which apps you use often, and how much battery you are willing to drain on a daily basis. The higher the cpu frequency the more your battery takes a hit.

I have found a nice balance using the 800mhz personally
    ....higher cpu speeds don't always lead to less battery life....i've found quite the opposite to be true...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ....higher cpu speeds don't always lead to less battery life....i've found quite the opposite to be true...
    I hear you. In essence, again, it all comes down to how much you use your phone and what you are running, what's in the background during sleep mode, animated patches etc. There are a lot of factors, not just the ones I mentioned.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I hear you. In essence, again, it all comes down to how much you use your phone and what you are running, what's in the background during sleep mode, animated patches etc. There are a lot of factors, not just the ones I mentioned.
    that is true without question....however, i'm of the opinion a fixed speed is even better for those background things, since they're completed faster and the cpu gets back to true idle (0ghz) faster, thereby saving battery. for those interested in learning about the concept, google "linux race to idle." based on that reading and my own experiences i don't see the need for "screenstate," in the current state of pre overclocking. to me scaling the cpu lessens the effectiveness and somewhat defeats the purpose of overclocking. yet i'm eternally grateful to marco, rod and the rest of the internals crew for coding these kernels AND allowing everyday joes to participate in the experimentations.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    that is true without question....however, i'm of the opinion a fixed speed is even better for those background things, since they're completed faster and the cpu gets back to true idle (0ghz) faster, thereby saving battery. for those interested in learning about the concept, google "linux race to idle." based on that reading and my own experiences i don't see the need for "screenstate," in the current state of pre overclocking. to me scaling the cpu lessens the effectiveness and somewhat defeats the purpose of overclocking. yet i'm eternally grateful to marco, rod and the rest of the internals crew for coding these kernels AND allowing everyday joes to participate in the experimentations.
    Good points.

So out of curiosity, if you don't use Govnah selection 'screenstate', which do you currently use?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers