Page 9 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 2889
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by cecemf View Post
    Where can I found the address of the feed as i can't find Uber-Kernel or Govnah in Preware ?
    Thanks
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals is the canonical place describing how to add the webos-internals-testing feeds to Preware.

    Have fun!

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Ok, we need to track down the root cause of this then.

    Did you do a device reset after the orange+tap? The kernel run in memory, so will still keep running up until the next device reset, even if the kernel files themselves have been restored to virgin state.

    -- Rod
    Can't be absolutely certain I did, but believe yes.
  3. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #163  
    I have a suggestion but don't know if it's possible.

    I wonder if it's possible to have profiles. For instance, say I'm going on a long drive and I want to use my Sprint navigation and have it plugged in to keep it charged. I'd like my Pre to know that the Sprint nav card is active and that it will set it to a preference. As in the lowest speed that keeps the Sprint nav card working properly.

    The reason I have is that it gets steamy while charging and running the app. Under 85 degree Texas weather I felt a bit more concerned about its temperature and longevity.

    I like it right now where I can set the speeds and governor on the fly when I don't really use the phone. Thanks for the rapid updates! I'll see if I can update when I get the paycheck
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    I have a suggestion but don't know if it's possible.

    I wonder if it's possible to have profiles. For instance, say I'm going on a long drive and I want to use my Sprint navigation and have it plugged in to keep it charged. I'd like my Pre to know that the Sprint nav card is active and that it will set it to a preference. As in the lowest speed that keeps the Sprint nav card working properly.

    The reason I have is that it gets steamy while charging and running the app. Under 85 degree Texas weather I felt a bit more concerned about its temperature and longevity.

    I like it right now where I can set the speeds and governor on the fly when I don't really use the phone. Thanks for the rapid updates! I'll see if I can update when I get the paycheck
    Yep, profiles are definitely something on the long-term roadmap.

    The other thing I would like to see is collaboration between the Govnah service and the Mode Switcher application.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. Max Payne's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #165  
    Thank you for the hard work on the Uber Kernel Rod. I recently did a hard reset as well as doctored the device to get the files to pristine condition. Even though it shows installed originally after install in Preware, after it resets it is not shown in the installed list. Does that mean my files are still not up to par?
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Payne View Post
    Thank you for the hard work on the Uber Kernel Rod. I recently did a hard reset as well as doctored the device to get the files to pristine condition. Even though it shows installed originally after install in Preware, after it resets it is not shown in the installed list. Does that mean my files are still not up to par?
    Are you saying that you did a full erase (apps and data) and then a webOS doctor, and then installed the Uber-Kernel using Preware, and now the Uber-Kernel does not show up in the Installed List in Preware?

    Is Govnah able to get the internal CPU temperature? If so, then the kernel is installed.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. Max Payne's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you saying that you did a full erase (apps and data) and then a webOS doctor, and then installed the Uber-Kernel using Preware, and now the Uber-Kernel does not show up in the Installed List in Preware?

    Is Govnah able to get the internal CPU temperature? If so, then the kernel is installed.

    -- Rod
    Yes that is correct. And one detail forgot to mention is that Govnah as well is not displaying either. I'm going to try install again and see what happens. I'll list any errors here.
    Last edited by Max Payne; 04/25/2010 at 08:21 PM.
  8. #168  
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-9 and govnah 0.2.2 installed. (by the way, the govnah app is really incredible with the latest update....it can be kept running in card view without affecting other apps ).

    I am however experiencing intermittent reboots, I can't determine any specific pattern to them. They have happened both when using the phone, and when the phone has been idle. So far I've had the phone reboot three times in 8 hours.

    The govnah app is set in 'ondemand mode' with the following settings... 250MHz min, 800MHz max, 200000 sampling rate, 60% up threshold, nice set to false, 0 powersave bias.

    Generally the phone is running fantastic, staying cool...down around 25 - 28 (even with Google Maps running this afternoon). Very fast opening of other apps, and no noticeable stuttering when scrolling.

    Has anyone else experienced the rebooting issue?
  9. #169  
    I've been unable to reliably do *any* scaling or settings other than Userspace; I've pulled my battery numerous times in the past 2 days experimenting. Once, I got OnDemand to stick for awhile, stably, with 250-800 speed settings, but each other time, I get lockups with essentially every scaling setting other than Userspace and have to pull the battery to reset my Pre.

    On the other hand, with Userspace set, 800 MHz itself seems fairly stable, so that's useful. I just wish I could get scaling working well (since, if I understand it correctly, it can assist with battery life by slowing down the processor when there's no real demand for speed).

    Not a criticism, Rod et al, just a report. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  10. shmoo27's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I've been unable to reliably do *any* scaling or settings other than Userspace; I've pulled my battery numerous times in the past 2 days experimenting. Once, I got OnDemand to stick for awhile, stably, with 250-800 speed settings, but each other time, I get lockups with essentially every scaling setting other than Userspace and have to pull the battery to reset my Pre.

    On the other hand, with Userspace set, 800 MHz itself seems fairly stable, so that's useful. I just wish I could get scaling working well (since, if I understand it correctly, it can assist with battery life by slowing down the processor when there's no real demand for speed).

    Not a criticism, Rod et al, just a report. {Jonathan}

    Interesting... I have the opposite experience:

    • Configured the testing feed
    • Installed Uber-Kernel
    • Wait for phone to reset
    • Installed Govnah
    • Selected "conservative", with minimum frequency 250 and max 800 (as others have suggested)


    Govnah immediately took the frequency down to 250, and when I went to refresh Tweed, it went up to 550 or 600.

    So right out of the box it worked!

    I have a few patches installed, but hadn't done any kernel replacement or anything before this one.

    Count me as one happy user!!!
  11. Max Payne's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #171  
    @ Rod After trying unsuccessfully to install the recovery kernel and Uber kerne;, I gfinally got it to install. My third time tryng I received an Ipkg wget error (sorry I don't have the details). I decided to update Preware once I saw it was available and voila everything including Govnah installed cleanly! Was it the update of Preware for me perhaps? So far so good and I will post any irregularities or pertinent observations here. Thank you for your time and patience and furthermore user-friendly contribution!
  12.    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-9 and govnah 0.2.2 installed. (by the way, the govnah app is really incredible with the latest update....it can be kept running in card view without affecting other apps ).

    I am however experiencing intermittent reboots, I can't determine any specific pattern to them. They have happened both when using the phone, and when the phone has been idle. So far I've had the phone reboot three times in 8 hours.

    The govnah app is set in 'ondemand mode' with the following settings... 250MHz min, 800MHz max, 200000 sampling rate, 60% up threshold, nice set to false, 0 powersave bias.

    Generally the phone is running fantastic, staying cool...down around 25 - 28 (even with Google Maps running this afternoon). Very fast opening of other apps, and no noticeable stuttering when scrolling.

    Has anyone else experienced the rebooting issue?
    Note that you shouldn't leave Govnah open for too long at the moment, as it stores all the historical data points in memory and does not drop any off the end, so eventually your memory will fill up. We will address this in a future update with offline logging to a database.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #173  
    I have had no luck with ondemand scaling. Even though I set the minimum frequency it still drops to 125mhz frequently. Today I had an episode where preware hung up while loading feeds. I minimized it and tried to close it, but the card hung half off the screen. Eventually I was able to get it back and close it, but this same thing happened with lunamanager when I tried to do a luna restart. So I reset the phone in device info, and tried again. Preware still hung while loading feeds.

    I switched to conservative scaling and set the minimum to 500mhz and maximum to 600mhz, and have had much better luck. The processor speed moves from 500 to 550 to 600 much more as I expect and never drops lower than the minimum I set up. So far (about 10 hours of what I would consider normal use) I have had no problems.

    All other settings are stock and I have no other cpu-frequency scaling patches apps or kernels installed.
  14. #174  
    I notice when running on battery it takes tweaking of the settings to set the 800mhz but as soon as I plug the charger in it scales with no problem. I also noticed that it would jump from 800 to 720mhz about every 2 seconds like it was in a loop.
  15. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    I have had no luck with ondemand scaling. Even though I set the minimum frequency it still drops to 125mhz frequently. Today I had an episode where preware hung up while loading feeds. I minimized it and tried to close it, but the card hung half off the screen. Eventually I was able to get it back and close it, but this same thing happened with lunamanager when I tried to do a luna restart. So I reset the phone in device info, and tried again. Preware still hung while loading feeds.

    I switched to conservative scaling and set the minimum to 500mhz and maximum to 600mhz, and have had much better luck. The processor speed moves from 500 to 550 to 600 much more as I expect and never drops lower than the minimum I set up. So far (about 10 hours of what I would consider normal use) I have had no problems.

    All other settings are stock and I have no other cpu-frequency scaling patches apps or kernels installed.
    It's been on and off for me as well. Before this I had a cpu-scaling script to set up ondemand. I think the problem before was that it wouldn't set ondemand correctly and so I commented out the script.

    To get it to work properly I reboot and start govnah right away. I set my prefs, 250 min, 800 max, 80% up_threshold, 50% powersave_bias, and save. I go back to the graphing card and check for a drop to 250. It should drop right away.

    If that didn't work. before this I did have the 125MHz problem and it wouldn't change to the correct min_freq. I did an uninstall of Uber-Kernel, reboot, installed 1.4.1, reboot, waited, reinstalled Uber-Kernel. Some or all of this may be unnecessary though.
  16. #176  
    I recall reading somewhere in this thread that the conservative governor seemed to work better. My experience with the ondemand governor was pretty poor too, but the conservative one has been working well for me. Most of my settings are stock, but this configuration has been fairly stable:
    Min Freq: 500
    Max Freq: 720
    Sampling: 1,000,000
    Down Factor: 1
    Up Threshold: 50
    Down Threshold: 20
    Ignore Nice: False
    Freq Step: 5%

    I had tried both min freq as 250 and max freq as 800, but found that the former was too laggy for my taste and the latter got too hot. Time_in_state has 550, 600, and 720 being used about equally and 500 used the majority of the time.

    Basically, try the conservative governor out.
    Palm Pre addict since 06.06.09.
  17. #177  
    Is there a good resource for details about each item? Or is it more of experiment to see what effect changing certain things has? For example up threshold: how would 80% vs 50% effect the change in freq. Does it set some sort of scale so that at x% use it goes up to x freq and then x% more use goes up to x freq? And powersave bias does that effect how rapid or slow it scales the freq back down? And if so does the higher the numbers the faster or slower it scales back down?

    So far I have tried ondemand with the following settings:

    min: 125
    max: 800
    rate: 200,000
    thesh: 80%
    ignore: false
    bias: 0

    A few times working with memos my pre has locked up (doesn't respond to any input and screen stays on indefinitely; pulling the battery to reboot is the only thing that works). I'm guessing it has something to do with one or more settings in need to tweaking. Oddly doing anything else so far does not lock up my pre only working with memos.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  18. #178  
    I was running "performance" yesterday (Sunday) with the settings of 250 - 800mhz and my battery life was insanely awesome! At idle I was pulling about 1.2%/hr and when streaming internet music at 128kbps through the web browser, had it on my car charger, some SMS here and there, email alerts, and poking around in Preware my temp never went above 41c.

    I have been playing with conservative and on-demand and the battery life seems to go up slightly, but I'm still playing with the settings.

    But one thing I did notice is when I checked the state of my CPU using terminal I noticed that my processor never goes below 500mhz even though I have it set to 250mhz. I guess my phone doesn't like going below 500mhz?
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I was running "performance" yesterday (Sunday) with the settings of 250 - 800mhz and my battery life was insanely awesome!
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $performance$ $governor$ $just$ $sets$ $the$ $frequency$ $to$ $scaling_max_freq$.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $performance$ $governor$ $just$ $sets$ $the$ $frequency$ $to$ $scaling_max_freq$.
    That is what I noticed too looking at the time in state. But even leaving it at 800mhz my battery life is much better than stock.

    But like I mentioned earlier even using the 'ondemand' or 'conservative' my cpu will never go below 500mhz even though I've set it to 250mhz.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions